Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202

<< <i>1100 >>

and One!!
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>S*C*O*R*E Order placed 4/29, shipped 5/1, received 5/6 (2) 2008 reverse 2007. Finally! So I'm batting 2 for 55. >>

WTF???!!! I'm starting to think that the US Mint doesn't like me. People who placed orders on the 29th (same as mine) and on the 30th are getting thier orders.
    My status says Order Status: Your order request is in process.
    WHERE'S MY ORDER?????

I think I'm getting too much caffiene. image
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>S*C*O*R*E Order placed 4/29, shipped 5/1, received 5/6 (2) 2008 reverse 2007. Finally! So I'm batting 2 for 55. >>

WTF???!!! I'm starting to think that the US Mint doesn't like me. People who placed orders on the 29th (same as mine) and on the 30th are getting thier orders.
    WHERE'S MY ORDER?????

I think I'm getting too much caffiene. image >>

how were they shipped? Registered mail will add about 5 days to your processing time, after they charge your cc, and then about 2 weeks for delivery after being shipped.
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666

<< <i>

WHERE'S MY ORDER?????

I think I'm getting too much caffiene. image >>

i see the same thing on my orders. i think they are buried in orders on these. if we all posted order #28835XXX(this is mine from the 29th) then you probably see the people today that got coins had a lower order #.

that said, it appears they are drying up.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    I paid extra for Expedited Shipping.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    "I think I'm getting too much caffiene. image >>

i see the same thing on my orders. i think they are buried in orders on these. if we all posted order #28835XXX(this is mine from the 29th) then you probably see the people today that got coins had a lower order #."

28828XXX is my order number from A.M. on the 29th.....................7,000 orders between my and your orders on same day!! Remember that was Tuesday after Coinworld hit the preceeding weekend. The 28-30th of April were huge order days for mint. Who knows.........there may still be a lot of 07/08 yet to ship.

• Options
    If I get one 08/07 in my order, I'd be happy.
    If not, at the very least I want all the 08/08s that I get be all PCGS MS70s.
    That's not asking too much is it? image
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Wow! An auction for three raws just closed at a little over 300 dollars a coin!

-Paul
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

I have several orders placed on 4/29........28823XXX....all show in process for several days....
    they are picking out all of the 07 reverses from all of your orders to send to me so I don't mind waiting.........image
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    sumorada -

is your cancel box gone?
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>sumorada - is your cancel box gone? >>

My cancel box has been gone for days.....
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    on my order placed on 21 April, the cancel box was gone for about 8 days before it shipped. Credit card was charged about 5 days before the order shipped.
  • Options
    is your cancel box gone?

yes......
  • Options

<< <i>

My cancel box has been gone for days..... >>

Mine too.
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

My cancel box has been gone for days..... >>

Mine too. >>

aww.. well, hold on a second, i think i have some in this drawer.. yeah, there they are..

[x] cancel
    [x] cancel
    [x] cancel

more available if anyone needs one..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    My order from 4/29 arrived today.
    6 -2008/2008's boo hoo.

2 ordered 4/20 arrived 4/28 were 2008/2007's
  • Options

ebay # 310048145087 ..........3 raw for 910.00..
  • Options

<< <i>Wow! An auction for three raws just closed at a little over 300 dollars a coin!

-Paul >>

Here's the link to this auction. You guys missed my first post, I think.

-Paul
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to say I'm sorry I didn't hold onto the 4 I sold last week but I'm not. I figured, the sooner I sold them that the higher the price would go!

I was right! image

Edited to add: Danged keybroad!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    hmmmmm dare I ask if anyone will sell one of the 08/07 reverse for cost? Ok ok stop laughing, You don't know til you ask.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I attribute this to the fact that many collectors prefer coins in OGP. Not everyone collects slabs. >>

+1
    My two 08 Rev 07 will stay in the original packaging.
    ~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>

<< <i>I attribute this to the fact that many collectors prefer coins in OGP. Not everyone collects slabs. >>

+1
    My two 08 Rev 07 will stay in the original packaging. >>

If they are not properly stored, they will milk. Then they will be worth spot.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

+1

If they are not properly stored, they will milk. Then they will be worth spot. >>

I purchased my first ASE in 1992, not one of the coins that I own have milk spots. I do however beleive the milk spots are caused from improper storage. My ASE's are stored in kointains in a tuperware container with dessicant.
    Edit to add pic..
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Straight to the moon Alice, straight to the moon.image
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I purchased my first ASE in 1992, not one of the coins that I own have milk spots. I do however beleive the milk spots are caused from improper storage. My ASE's are stored in kointains in a tuperware container with dessicant. >>

You must not buy ASEs from eBay. I have a few with some sort of mystery disease.
    Much better buying new, in rolls, from dealers.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I purchased my first ASE in 1992, not one of the coins that I own have milk spots. I do however beleive the milk spots are caused from improper storage. My ASE's are stored in kointains in a tuperware container with dessicant. >>

You must not buy ASEs from eBay. I have a few with some sort of mystery disease.
    Much better buying new, in rolls, from dealers. >>

No I never purchased ASE's on e-bay, my local B+M, Glenview Coin.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If submitting these Eagles to PCGS for grading, is it preferrable to send them in the hard plastic holder it came in from the Mint, or must you submit the coin in the poly sleeve and semi-rigid flip?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Sumorada, thats funny as all hell!! LOL

Griv, I agree with you 100% about the spotting, which is why I'd prefer mine in a TPG slab, housed in non PVC plastic, with the air sucked out, courtesy of the mighty FoodSaver. They really should make a mini one, specifically for the numismatist, and use the slogan "where we save more than just food from developing spots".
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If submitting these Eagles to PCGS for grading, is it preferrable to send them in the hard plastic holder it came in from the Mint, or must you submit the coin in the poly sleeve and semi-rigid flip? >>

They like the capsules and you don't risk damage moving the coin to a flip. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

+1

If they are not properly stored, they will milk. Then they will be worth spot. >>

Ditto Ditto!

Of the 6 I received, I kept two random pieces. One of them already has a spot so into the stabilizer they both went!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i> I purchased my first ASE in 1992, not one of the coins that I own have milk spots. I do however beleive the milk spots are caused from improper storage. My ASE's are stored in kointains in a tuperware container with dessicant. >>

You have been lucky then is all I can say. I started buying these in 1986 and very few have spotted but some have. And once you break them out to discover this dreadful disease, its too late! I lost my 1996's this way and each of my eagles is either in a Dansco (yes a couple of those spotted!) or in an air-tite or the original shipping plastic. I've lost some 1998's too.

Every SAE that comes to me for my collection gets a quick dip to remove any contaminants that might possible be on the coin. No exceptions. No spotting.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MEANWHILE - back at the thread topic of interest (hint), I hate to admit it for fear of feathers and tar substances, but I just got another WINner box of 10/10 - 08/07's. Bought 4/17, shipped 4/22, arrived today...

Oddly, numbers appear to be falling for sale. Do you really think EVERYONE is on hold with these and the dam is about to burst, or are they plain getting thin?? I managed to pick a few slabs up at Gainesville early today, but they seem to be gone there too this eve.

Also seems to be a reduction in on-topic postings of order results, there HAS to be lots ordered this last week -- c'mon, fess up yo lurkers!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    106 auctions
    -69 34/106 32.1%
    -70 21/106 19.8
    Other 51 48.1

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I order 10 on 4/29 and they shipped 5/5. Another order of 10 was on hold and called the mint to release. The rep said there is a 10-day holding peroid but she called claims and released immediately since I have a long history with them. It doesn't hurt to call.
  • Options
    1201reset1201reset Posts: 185 ✭✭

<< <i> -- c'mon, fess up yo lurkers! >>

Lurker here, I did order 3 from the Mint;

Order number: 288898XX

Order Date: 05/06/2008 at 01:XX PM

Order Status: Your order request is in process.

Product Name Quantity Price
    (each) Total Item Status Cancel
    2008 AE SILVER UNC MM 1 OZ 3 $25.95 $77.85 In stock and reserved

CC was immediately hit, no cancel box appeared.

Here's my theory on the Mint's actions regarding these coins:

Variety is discovered and reported.

Mgmt. panics - the wrong rev. dies were used, it's an error on our part!
    initial knee-jerk reaction is search and destroy all product.

Public reaction seems to be more demand (sales) for this coin....
    collectors love this development.

Mgmt goes with the flow, announces mintage of error/variety, decides to
    release all the coins.

Coins are spread amongst all orders, large and small (we got lemons, lets make
    lemonade).
  • Options
    One thing I doubt is that they have anyone in Menphis pulling individual coins to check for 07 reverses.

These are warehouse/clerical people not coin collectors.

I opened and checked 200+ and frankly it is a pain in the a**.
    I know how to get the coins/capsules out without damage and I'll say it not going to happen 450,000 times.

What may have happened and I stress its just a guess is that they might have some way of tracking that one nights shift production and they may have pulled a range of lot production numbers. Each 100 coin box has a distinct and in sequence production code. I know because I examined 3-100 coin boxes and they were in rough sequence. Now what was interesting is that they were in original 100 coin master boxes and all 3 were opened and reduced to 96 coin boxes. The missing 4 coins from each box were shipped seperately. Why take an order for 300 and open each box of 100 and remove 4 coins from each box and ship as boxes of 96??

Sampling lots??..............
  • Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and put up another theory..could answer your 96 Box load.....maybe they are dribbling them out to sell more coins.

Like cracker jacks, a chance of a good prize inside?

Sells more coins and you can't return a cherry picked load. Many dummies will be caught with a supply of regular 2008 W reverse. Thus, this makes for certain that end year mintage numbers will be the highest yet for the W Unc Burnished Series ;>.

Sure, there are ways around it, requiring one to play musical Z8F's with another order replacing the cherry picks, but it is a slow process of distribution and keeps EBay prices up ;>
  • Options
    You can return a box of 96 just as easily as a box of 100.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i> They really should make a mini one, specifically for the numismatist, and use the slogan "where we save more than just food from developing spots". >>

you can buy a bulk roll and cut to size...and put any slogan you want

• Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>One thing I doubt is that they have anyone in Menphis pulling individual coins to check for 07 reverses.

These are warehouse/clerical people not coin collectors.

I opened and checked 200+ and frankly it is a pain in the a**.
    I know how to get the coins/capsules out without damage and I'll say it not going to happen 450,000 times.

What may have happened and I stress its just a guess is that they might have some way of tracking that one nights shift production and they may have pulled a range of lot production numbers. Each 100 coin box has a distinct and in sequence production code. I know because I examined 3-100 coin boxes and they were in rough sequence. Now what was interesting is that they were in original 100 coin master boxes and all 3 were opened and reduced to 96 coin boxes. The missing 4 coins from each box were shipped seperately. Why take an order for 300 and open each box of 100 and remove 4 coins from each box and ship as boxes of 96??

Sampling lots??.............. >>

Or they just get machine packed into boxes of 100 that fit snugly. Maybe rifling through them by hand makes it much tougher to put all 100 back in the case, so they just take 4 out for some breathing room.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    So has the mint actually made any statements that they have pulled any of these to be melted and not released yet?
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    You can return a box of 96 just as easily as a box of 100.

Try returning that 96 Coin Box, with only 93 Coins in it; a partial return.

Not allowed. You have to scrounge up 3 regular 2008 W's to take the place of the cherry picks. Many novices ordering to get a 'prize' don't realize your stuck with the rest of the load. They would need to order more and hope the replacements get in before the 30 day period.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just checked the pops across the street......looks like a total of 6,821 graded.

2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007 MS 554 252 302
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6267 1 3510 2756

The "1" is very interesting.That bullion piece is unique and could fetch big bucks for the lucky owner?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

<< <i>You can return a box of 96 just as easily as a box of 100.

Not allowed. You have to scrounge up 3 regular 2008 W's to take the place of the cherry picks. Many novices ordering to get a 'prize' don't realize your stuck with the rest of the load. They would need to order more and hope the replacements get in before the 30 day period. >>

Since there was no prize in the boxes of 96 a return IF so desired is no problem.
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>If submitting these Eagles to PCGS for grading, is it preferrable to send them in the hard plastic holder it came in from the Mint, or must you submit the coin in the poly sleeve and semi-rigid flip? >>

you can just put the coin in its original US Mint capsule into one of the 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 PCGS flips.. no need to remove the coin from the capsule at all.. if you want the capsule back, note that on the submission form..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

Not allowed. You have to scrounge up 3 regular 2008 W's to take the place of the cherry picks. Many novices ordering to get a 'prize' don't realize your stuck with the rest of the load. They would need to order more and hope the replacements get in before the 30 day period. >>

No, you can return a partial order, what you can't do is break up a product, i.e. a mint set and send back a partial. You certaily can send back 96 coins from 100.
  • Options
    John91CJohn91C Posts: 300 ✭✭
    So what's the avg price OGP are bringing in? I might sell my 2 that I got to get a 105mm Nikkor lens well at least put a good portion of it towards the cost of the lens image
  • Options

<< <i>

No, you can return a partial order, what you can't do is break up a product, i.e. a mint set and send back a partial. You certaily can send back 96 coins from 100. >>

Exactly! Your box of 96 is no different than my box of ten which got 4 returned. You cannot return just a Kennedy Half from a Proof set. You must return the entire set.

You can return 4 out of 10 proof sets though.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file