Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• << <i>LADIES AND GENTS...NGC EARLY RELEASE MS70 2008 W 2007 REVERSE JUST BROKE THE $1K BARRIER w/ this Ebay Auction tonight! >>

This one looks strange. Two bidders going at it from $550 up past $1000 for the NGC70. Definitly an outlier
  • rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>Just imagine the 2008 Chevy Impala, grille of 2007.image >>

That would be a 100 point, $100,000, 6 month off for the crew chief fine. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    103 auctions
    -69 34/103 33.0%
    -70 21/103 19.8
    Other 48/103 46.6

784 completed auctions
    -69 257/784 32.8
    -70 171/784 21.8
    Other 356/784 45.4

I thank jessewvu for the ebay stats too; it's good to have more ways to look at something I say!

• << <i>This one looks strange. Two bidders going at it from $550 up past $1000 for the NGC70. Definitly an outlier >>

Two very motivated bidders with deep pockets trying to outbid each other??? Something like...." Oh Yeah!!!???...Take That!!! " then the other one would go " NO YOU DONT!!!....Lets see if you can beat this!!!" image

Bottom line is Antwerpdiamonds made his money and then some. image
    Wow Big jump at MCM, I posted a couple days ago the prices and MS70 were 499 and 539 (539 for the Early Release). Regular 70's are still 499, but Early release are now listed for $699. FWIW, the 69's (all these are NGC) are 259, and 269, a slight increase from a couple days ago.

• << <i>Wow Big jump at MCM, I posted a couple days ago the prices and MS70 were 499 and 539 (539 for the Early Release). Regular 70's are still 499, but Early release are now listed for $699. >>

And only 4 left.......
  • 2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For some reason May 7th seemed to be a big shipping day for W's. It will be interesting to see the reports today but I still think the 08/07's are mostly gone.... Looking out the window for the Fedex truck with my 2 orders. >>

Coins shipped on May 7th and 8th are largely made up of orders from Monday April 28th and Tuesday 29th. That is start of week just after news broke in Coin World.

I think the surge in orders from 28th-30th likely cleaned out any remaining supplies of 07/08 ASEs they had on hand.
    My small order was placed on the 28th and a second one on the 30th. There were 9,000 orders in between!
    I expect a brief increase in supplies as these last 07/08 coins hit the market. After that we'll see........................

Edited to say I see listing on Ebay this A.M. are down to 112 using search terms.....'2007-2008-reverse'
  • << only 4 left>>>>

Thats a bargain compared to this ...Link to Ebay Auction image

• Fedex has arrived with my 2 packages!!! I will bang some ASE's out of their homes and report if my "no more left" theory holds.....image
  • I just went thru an order of 50 that came in about 30 minutes ago.

Nothing!
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Fedex just dropped off 12 from my order placed May 1st,.......and I went ......2 for 12....image The first one checked was a 08/07 and the second to last was a hit as well. Time on shipping label says 4:34:37 p.m. 5/6/08. I also have severalsmall orders placed on the 30th in which 1 has shipped by snail mail. It does seem the orders of 50 are pulled from elsewhere as my 3 orders of 150 from the 19th yielded zero.
  • As I suspected: 0/15, 0/12 image

But get this... 2 of the 12 order were proofs instead of uncirc's

And... I got the 3 2007 dollar sets I ordered on May 1st but my MARCH 4th order has been bumped back another week to a 5/24 ship date image
  • I have a hunch based on all my past orders. Using my non linear time differential queuing algorithm, I've placed a massive group of small orders all due in a few days. image
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I predict the number of posts on this thread will equal the number coins found.

I wish!image

Ren >>

So far 1,264 error/varieties have been found...and counting.image

Ren
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As I suspected: 0/15, 0/12 image

But get this... 2 of the 12 order were proofs instead of uncirc's

And... I got the 3 2007 dollar sets I ordered on May 1st but my MARCH 4th order has been bumped back another week to a 5/24 ship date image >>

What was the order dates (08-w's)?

Coinboy, when did you order your 50?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Saturday

I ordered some monday, and yesterday, not here yet.
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there may be more than expected and the price just may fall! Consider this, if 40% have the 2007 reverse then just how rare is that coin?
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• CB2597CB2597 Posts: 3,042

<< <i>if 40% have the 2007 reverse >>

Key word being IF...image
    The average yearly production on these "W"'s is closer to 500,000 I believe, the 200,000 number is only what had been struck so far, so even if all 47,000 got out it would be more like 10%, not 40%. Another thing, these are basically sold to collectors, unlike the bullion, so there is a larger collector base for them than you would think, at least in theory.
    Small Order from the 30th just arrived, all the coins were out of their boxes and the boxes and lids looked thrown in the box, 0/6.
  • stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    Ok - I have 2 unopened boxes staring at me. They are right in front of me - mocking me to some degree. I have a bead of sweat running down my brow. This is a showdown between me and boxes. I have my Xacto knife drawn and my white cotton gloves on and for some reason I feel like an idiot!!

Jeff

P.S. If I survive opening over 100 ASEs I will post results. I suspect 0 because the orders are larger ones (48 and 52 or something).
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May the Force be with you Jeff -- include your order dates...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

<< <i>P.S. If I survive opening over 100 ASEs I will post results. I suspect 0 because the orders are larger ones (48 and 52 or something). >>

GO JEFF!!! GO JEFF!!! GO JEFF!!! image
  • I have no clue where the 40% thing came from but the W's have been available only around 2 months...In that time I think the last total for ALL 2008 w's was 250k or so. 47k (max) for 08/07's is only 20% NOW. If the mintage holds at 250k (it won't) then we have 2 winners on our hands. If it goes to 600k (it will probably be less due to coin cost vs. bullion price) then it's around 8% of total.

Today's received orders are running 2/89....Methinks they have dried up

<< <i>have no clue where the 40% thing came >>

• I forgot one thing. On my order of 15 I rec'd today there is a mark in the exact same spot on 8 of the coins. It looks shiny like a small nick but why would a nick be in the same spot on all coins???? Just curious......and disappointed at going 0/37 (with 2 proofs thrown in as a consolation prize)

• MrScienceMrScience Posts: 735 ✭✭✭
    FedEx came today and delivered 7/25 reverses of 07! I placed the order on April 30. image
    I've see that frequently.
    When you buy big lots of a single mint product its not uncommon to get a batch where a number of the coins have a rub or other blemish in exact same spot. I had over 600 Marine Comm. and I saw it happen in both the proof and unc coins. Just shows they were all struck and ejected at same time with same production defect.

• << <i>FedEx came today and delivered 7/25 reverses of 07! I placed the order on April 30 >>

Great score!!!!!

Today's numbers: 9/122
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    my massive order of two has been shipped..

"2008 AE SILVER UNC MM 1 OZ 2 $25.95 $51.90 2 units shipped on 05/08/2008"

ordered last Saturday, 03 May, 2008.. on a whim, just to see if i could score.. since i sold something on eBay which cost me nothing for about sixty bucks, i decided to flip that money so these coins, whatever comes out of the package, are basically free.. since it's regular Parcel Post shipping, they won't get here for a week short of a miracle.. meanwhile, i'll rub and fondle every lucky charm i can find.. will report when package arrives and what it contains.. i expect to get 08/08s.. if i get 08/07s.. even one of the two, i'll be MORE than satisfied.. if they sent me Proofs by mistake.. well.. that wouldn't be too awful.. maybe they're REALLY screwing up and sent me a pair of $100.00 Platinum Eagles by mistake.. i wouldn't kick those outta bed either..

oh by the way.. from our "i've been wondering about this" Department.. the first year, the 2006-W, came raw in a little black drawstring bag inside the little blue box.. the 2007-W didn't.. all of my 2008 Reverse of 2007s are in NGC slabs so i haven't seen a raw one yet.. what was the deal with that little black drawstring bag they put the 2006-Ws in?.. grabbed one of those off eBay for a song a few months ago.. been staring at it and might send it to PCGS if i can will it into a 70 through mind control manipulation of metal.. where's Yuri Gellar when i need him?..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still early in the day so the drop off for today is inaccurate. Unless I post these stats late at night, just look at previous days for trends.

I WILL DO A HUGE DUMP TONIGHT WITH ALL KINDS OF SEARCHES. NGC vs. PCGS, RAW vs. GRADED...

• I placed 2 orders of 5 each on 5/3 and 1 order of 5 on 5/5.All 3 orders where shipped on 5/7.Will post the outcome when they arrive.My fingers are crossed.image
    I got 6 out of two orders of 50 and 55. The order with 55 had all 6 of them in it. They were ordered on April 30th and delivered today at 10:00am CT. I guess that is pretty good news because It took me almost 90% through the order to figure out that no matter how difficult the coins are to get out, there is an easy technique so that neither the plastic nor the felt thing get damaged - I was pooping those things out left and right. Here is what I really noticed though - all you have to do is look at the obverse finish on these to determine whether they are the good ones. The 2008/2008 will look like the traditional finish while the 2008/20007 for all the world look like a reverse proof from 2006!! Visually very different.

Jeff

image Congrats, nice hit!!!

<< <i>I got 6 out of two orders of 50 and 55. The order with 55 had all 6 of them in it. They were ordered on April 30th and delivered today at 10:00am CT. I guess that is pretty good news because It took me almost 90% through the order to figure out that no matter how difficult the coins are to get out, there is an easy technique so that neither the plastic nor the felt thing get damaged - I was pooping those things out left and right. Here is what I really noticed though - all you have to do is look at the obverse finish on these to determine whether they are the good ones. The 2008/2008 will look like the trditional finished while the 2008/20007 for all the world look like a reverse proof from 2006!! Visually very different.

Jeff

Hey you are right 08/08 looks flat, 08/07 more shiney....good eye, or maybe mine were just forcused on the U vs. u

"pooping" - what's that all about? = popping >>

<< <i>"pooping" - what's that all about? = popping >> >>

imageimage
    Way to Go on your find Jeff!!!image
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Gerber make a plastic kids spoon that has a handle just the right shape for "pooping" these things out of the packaging. --Jerry
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gerber make a plastic kids spoon that has a handle just the right shape for "pooping" these things out of the packaging. --Jerry >>

"pooping"????
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

The way to get these out of the package is to SLAM it into the palm of your hand. It will pop right out.

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    "those drawstring mini-Chivas bags" shed like crazy, all these little blue things stuck to the capsule via static electricity, but i did like'em

any truth tp the rumor that the 08/07's came in a different style box than the 08/08??

i seem to remember a post about the box difference, but can't find it or if it was verified.image

• The box theory was mine and it was bogus...I rec'd 12/12 and the were all in a thicker shorter box. I then rec'd 5/5 in the regular box. So totally random.

Today's results: 15/227 (total from the board, not all mine)

<< <i>I got 6 out of two orders of 50 and 55. The order with 55 had all 6 of them in it. They were ordered on April 30th and delivered today at 10:00am CT. I guess that is pretty good news because It took me almost 90% through the order to figure out that no matter how difficult the coins are to get out, there is an easy technique so that neither the plastic nor the felt thing get damaged - I was pooping those things out left and right.

Here is what I really noticed though - all you have to do is look at the obverse finish on these to determine whether they are the good ones. The 2008/2008 will look like the traditional finish while the 2008/20007 for all the world look like a reverse proof from 2006!! Visually very different.>>

Your note on the difference in obs/rev finishes is the same as I noticed. I had some of the first batch that were found several weeks ago and they had matching matte finish obv/rev. These last ones had a more shiney obs and a non matching matte reverse.

I'll get some pictures done of both if possible tonight.
  • MrScienceMrScience Posts: 735 ✭✭✭
    <<<< FedEx came today and delivered 7/25 reverses of 07! I placed the order on April 30. image

Great score!!!!!>>>>

Thanks! And hearty thanks to all the keen insights from the members of this great Forum! imageimage
  • bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭
    Attention: I just received my order for 25 2008 w SAE's from Fed Ex.

I am sorry to report that just one of my 25 had the 08 reverse!

Twenty-four had the 07 reverse imageimageimage

P.S. order placed 4-30-08 at 8:54 PM
    And I ain't lying this time.

• << <i>Twenty-four had the 07 reverse >>

GASP!!!! image

Updated count for today: 39/252
    Wow congrats! I am beginning to believe the mint didn't pull the wrong reverse ones and that they are all being released.
    I just ordered the rest of the coins from the mint
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh Crap!

I ordered 4 more 2008-W SAE's on 5/3 (Saturday) and they arrived today!

Stupid mint screwed up the order with 3 of the coins being the reverse of 2007! image

Whats a guy got to do to get honest to goodness 2008-W SAE's that have the CORRECT Reverse on them! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When there is too much weight on the roof, something is bound to go through it.
    My suggestion is to get in and get out before it collapses.

HE>I

• << <i>I ordered 4 more 2008-W SAE's on 5/3 (Saturday) and they arrived today! >>

Hmmmm....Order processed on Monday, normal delay for credit card check to Wed. Shipped and rec'd on Thursday? That is a record. congrats.....image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file