Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• << <i>

<< <i>Red Book is worthless. >>

Yes, of course. How could I have been so stupid. The most recognized resource for coin collectors and dealers all over the country for the past half century is, of course, worthless. How could I have been so blind. My apologies everyone. image >>

Careful now, "expert collector" is not just a member title in coinboy's case...

• << <i>

<< <i>

Yes, of course. How could I have been so stupid. The most recognized resource for coin collectors and dealers all over the country for the past half century is, of course, worthless. How could I have been so blind. My apologies everyone. image >>

Careful now, "expert collector" is not just a member title in coinboy's case... >>

OK, then does that mean that you agree with his statement ("Red Book is worthless")? image
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hm...it just ocurred to me...one good way of getting it in the red book is to actually contact whitman publishing and remind them of this coin and ask what they think about it. As they say, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease!"

I don't want to predict anything...but it's possible that this could be just the tip of the ice-berg since not everyone seems to know about it yet. Who knows.... >>

One of Whitman's top people is a member here, it's highly unlikely he has missed this thread. Consider that a burst of requests could be seen as lobbying by the members here for the purpose of making a buck.

It didn't work for the Speared Bison.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    I knew when I made this post it was going to be a hit. However I did not think it was literally going through the roof. Bring on the gold & silver predictions, we are more than half way there.

Have a good one~David

TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Kranky.... Whitman Publishing is a great company . So is Dansco !!! Good Luck !! Comments .....
    Specialized Investments
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the info on the Morgan Doller has not changed since the Red Book was fust published [cept fer smoe pricing that no one will go by] I'd say the RB is more likely near worthless, but not totally so.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I knew when I made this post it was going to be a hit. However I did not think it was literally going through the roof. Bring on the gold & silver predictions, we are more than half way there.

Have a good one~David

image >>

I wish to file a formal protest. image

This is about the coin. Not the paint , the grass or the roof !

HE>I

• << <i>

Since the info on the Morgan Doller has not changed since the Red Book was fust published [cept fer smoe pricing that no one will go by] I'd say the RB is more likely near worthless, but not totally so. >>

The Morgan dollar ended almost 90 years ago. How much new info are you expecting to get from that series? I'd assume that if anything new came up, someone in the last 90 years would have found it.

EDIT: With no disprespect to the Moran Dollar, but if you're looking to find additional varieties and such, I don't think you're going to get it out of the Red Book or anywhere else. But if you're looking for a detailed year by year history of the Morgan, then you're right, the Red Book doesn't have that level of detail.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Morgan dollar ended almost 90 years ago. How much new info are you expecting to get from that series? I'd assume that if anything new came up, someone in the last 90 years would have found it. >>

Ooooh, like a swift kick in the orbs image

HE>I

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my grades for the two First Strike 08/07 coins I sent in. Both 69's.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I knew when I made this post it was going to be a hit. However I did not think it was literally going through the roof. Bring on the gold & silver predictions, we are more than half way there.

Have a good one~David

D

This thread has so many tangents that it has a great chance of catching Goldsaints classic. That thread is timeless and will eventually outlast, outplay and out-think.

If some how the mintage is way off and the coin becomes common and prices plummet (highly doubtful) then this thread is dead. Many lucky collectors and speculators will continue to flock here for years as long as the luster doesn't tarnish (or spot.)

Let's say you started this thread in 1995 about the lone proof W ASE...can you imagine how many posts there would be by now!!!!!

FFT

R

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Since the info on the Morgan Doller has not changed since the Red Book was fust published [cept fer smoe pricing that no one will go by] I'd say the RB is more likely near worthless, but not totally so. >>

The Morgan dollar ended almost 90 years ago. How much new info are you expecting to get from that series? I'd assume that if anything new came up, someone in the last 90 years would have found it.

EDIT: With no disprespect to the Moran Dollar, but if you're looking to find additional varieties and such, I don't think you're going to get it out of the Red Book or anywhere else. But if you're looking for a detailed year by year history of the Morgan, then you're right, the Red Book doesn't have that level of detail. >>

To those who are just getting intro'd to the Moran Dollerrrrrrr, I spose there is plenty of new info to them. Not just fer the Morgue-En, but info on every series covered is pretty much stale. Its not a must have book IMO, but a 5 year old one won't be out of date for another 10 years.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Morgan dollars are nice but I personally like the American eagles much better.

• << <i>Morgan dollars are nice but I personally like the American eagles much better. >>

I agree.

Maybe I'll try giving PCGS a call tommorrow to see what their stance is on this coin.
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, I just called Whitman Publishing (Redbook) and the woman I spoke to said that in regards to lisiting varieties, it's determined by the mint. The mint has to indicate if the ASE 08/07 Rev is a variety or not before they can put it in the Redbook. Any thoughts? >>

who cares they will list it at $50. image
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV

• << <i>

<< <i>Well, I just called Whitman Publishing (Redbook) and the woman I spoke to said that in regards to lisiting varieties, it's determined by the mint. The mint has to indicate if the ASE 08/07 Rev is a variety or not before they can put it in the Redbook. Any thoughts? >>

who cares they will list it at $50. image >>

OK, you go and buy one for $50, and I'll buy it off you for $100, deal? image
  • +1
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    176 auctions
    -69 66/176 37.5%
    -70 49/176 27.8
    Other 61/176 34.7
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

From a pricing perspective, I'd agree. From an informational perspective, I disagree.

Any publication that appears on an "annual" basis and which lists minimal grades, certainly cannot be relied upon for accurate pricing especially in today's Internet Informational Age.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Redbook has educated and brought more folks into the fold of coin collecting than any other publication. This is my opinion and I do not think it is worthless.

• hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>The Redbook has educated and brought more folks into the fold of coin collecting than any other publication. This is my opinion and I do not think it is worthless. >>

i can't think of another compact, inexpensive book that lists AND pictures every single coin ever made by the US Mint and before, back to pre-Colonial days.. Mintage numbers, both Unc. and Proof, specs (metallic content, purity, weight, diameter, and so on).. on every coin.. and a wealth of other information..

sure, there aren't enough grades in it (many series are listed only up to MS65 or MS63).. and by the nature of being published yearly, its long lead time prevents it from being anything remotely like a real-world useful price guide..

if someone comes to you and says hey, i want to get into collecting US coins.. can you recommend ONE book to me?.. which one would you recommend, if not the Red book?..
    naturally, you'd tell them the printed values are more ballpark figures than what a dealer would offer for a coin, or what one could expect to pay for a coin.. talk to them about PQ coins, raw vs. slabbed, the different TPGs, and then recommend a good grading guide to them, since the Red books' grading explanations are minimalist at best..

it's not a perfect book, but how many people here can honestly say they don't own a single Red book?.. of any year?..

worthless?.. hardly..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

who cares they will list it at $50. image >>

OK, you go and buy one for $50, and I'll buy it off you for $100, deal? image >>

I think he makes a good point. It seems the old line price guides do not very often show values in high grade and therefore only list a value of near bullion. I mean how much would you pay for a ASE graded MS65? You would have to drive over it a couple of times with a Hummer to get a MS65 grade on those coins.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • I don't really think anyone looks at the Red Book for pricing alone.The prices they give could tell you if you have a valuable coin or not.The book is filled with lots of information about any given coin and the rarity of it.I read it for that info only as a general guide only.

• << <i>I don't really think anyone looks at the Red Book for pricing alone.The prices they give could tell you if you have a valuable coin or not.The book is filled with lots of information about any given coin and the rarity of it.I read it for that info only as a general guide only. >>

Exactly. The only thing I use the Red Book for is to determine the mintage and the different varieties, pictures, and descriptions. I can't think of any other publication that has all that detail, all in one source. As for pricing, it'll give you a ball park figure, but for real up to date pricing, either use the grey sheet or ebay.

The more that this coin gets recognized and legitamized as a unique and distinct ASE variety, then going forward, the more collectors are going to respect, value, and try to aquire it.
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't really think anyone looks at the Red Book for pricing alone.The prices they give could tell you if you have a valuable coin or not.The book is filled with lots of information about any given coin and the rarity of it.I read it for that info only as a general guide only. >>

Exactly. The only thing I use the Red Book for is to determine the mintage and the different varieties, pictures, and descriptions. I can't think of any other publication that has all that detail, all in one source. As for pricing, it'll give you a ball park figure, but for real up to date pricing, either use the grey sheet or ebay.

The more that this coin gets recognized and legitamized as a unique and distinct ASE variety, then going forward, the more collectors are going to respect, value, and try to aquire it. >>

image excellent point
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Just FYI everyone. I just spoke to Bill Gibbs of Coin World, and he said that there's a very good chance that this coin will be included in the Red Book, and other major coin price guides as well. He said that the way this is determined is based on the volume of two way transactions a coin gets. In the short term, this coin has gotten a lot of appreciation of value, but of course, it's still hard to say for the long term. Also, he mentioned that the American Silver Eagle has a good following, partially because of its affordability.

This is an almost word for word quote from him.

EDIT: Looking at my latest Coin World, it looks like William T. Gibbs is the News Editor.

EDIT TO EDIT: If at all possible, please spread this information to others. (This is not price manipulation. It's simply a transfer of information).

• << <i>The more that this coin gets recognized and legitamized as a unique and distinct ASE variety, then going forward, the more collectors are going to respect, value, and try to aquire it. >> >>

Isn't this coin in the same genre as the early Morgan dollars....1878 7tf/rev. of 79, 1879-s/rev. of 78, 1880cc/rev. of 78 etc. ????? A defined variety that should be classified as such
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    is this thread now hijacked by new members with 100 or less posts?

wow, going from unknown to expert in about 10 pages is amazing!

seems like someone REALLY wants these coins to move FAST and ROCKET up from current levels, ahhh the armchair economist, the monday morning quarterback,

I've got news for ya, we all want this coin to have legs, but they are not jawboning it up in value, the market will take it there by itself based on demand.....
    just thought I would get the conversation rolling tonight

where's the popcorn man......

• << <i>I got my grades for the two First Strike 08/07 coins I sent in. Both 69's. >>

Wish you got at least one 70 Jess. image
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Just FYI everyone. I just spoke to Bill Gibbs of Coin World, and he said that there's a very good chance that this coin will be included in the Red Book, and other major coin price guides as well.>>

I would interpret that as good news, for those that are long on this variety.

Making it into the Numismatic Bible, priceless.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
    it needs to be listed on the greysheet
  • I just got a reply from PCGS...at least I think it's PCGS...I sent it to "setregistry@pcgs.com":

Hello Tony

The 2008-W American Silver Eagle with 2007 Reverse will not be required until early 2009 and I’m not sure in which set at this time.

Thank you.

Jaye Woodward
    Collectors Universe
    Set Registry Coordinator
    949-567-1234 ext. 295
    949-833-7660

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:06 AM
    To: Set Registry
    Subject: Is "2008-W American Silver Eagle with 2007 Reverse" going to be a Registry coin?

Hi PCGS,

I just wanted to ask you about the "2008-W American Silver Eagle with 2007 Reverse" coin. Do you think that this coin will be a Registry coin? Thanks!

-Tony Koo

So, does this mean that it will be a registered coin? image

• << <i>is this thread now hijacked by new members with 100 or less posts?

wow, going from unknown to expert in about 10 pages is amazing!

seems like someone REALLY wants these coins to move FAST and ROCKET up from current levels, ahhh the armchair economist, the monday morning quarterback,

I've got news for ya, we all want this coin to have legs, but they are not jawboning it up in value, the market will take it there by itself based on demand..... >>

No, I'm not trying to hijack this thread. I'm just trying to do what I can to learn the current and future status of this coin, and share the knowledge, that's all. Actually, all I really did was make a few phone calls and write a few emails. And no, I'm not trying to make a fast buck or move this coin like a rocket. I'm just trying to take an active roll in learning and making better and more informed decisions.

Yes, your'e absolutely right about the demand part. It's the demand that's going to ultimately determine the value of this coin. But how could people possibly demand for this coin if they don't even know of its existence? I hope that people are reading this thread...as many people as possible, so that they'll all know that this coin is almost certainly going to go in the Red Book, and possibly, many other publications as well. Hopefully, this will be one more leg that this coin can stand on.
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>So, does this mean that it will be a registered coin? image >>

Perhaps if you just did a little more reading and digging on the forums,
    you would not have to ask questions like 'What is a registry set?'
    and 'What is the BST?'

No disrespect, we're all (mostly) willing to help around here, but
    do a little of the leg work first and you will find answers to these questions
    very easily.

I have no doubt that this coin will be in the Red Book (why wouldn't it?),
    and it will end up as a requirement for set registries as well.

Here you go Tony... PCGS Set Registry
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------

• Last four orders from the mint. Shut out!

0/5
    0/10
    0/10
    0/20

Order these at the end of May.

<< <i>Last four orders from the mint. Shut out!

0/5
    0/10
    0/10
    0/20

Order these at the end of May.
    image >>

I know it's highly unlikely, but I may place a random order later in the summer for a few more
    from the Mint. You know, just in case they go cleaning the shelves in Memphis or something image

I have a feeling we could see a few (as in less than 10) show up randomly in various orders.

It's basically a 10 in a million chance now from the Mint IMO.
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
  • Thanks. image
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks. image >>

you're not from CA are ya? Have you posted in the Ebay forums, and have you bought these coins on Ebay???

• << <i>you're not from CA are ya? Have you posted in the Ebay forums, and have you bought these coins on Ebay??? >>

Actually, I am from CA.
    Yes, I've posted in the Ebay forums. My ebay ID is t_koo5bn8.
    Yes, I bought all of these coins from ebay.

Why do you ask?
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Read pages 68-69....The Holy cow link....I'm casscoins...

• << <i>Read pages 68-69....The Holy cow link....I'm casscoins... >>

Hey! How are you? Thanks again for giving me a break on that previous "transaction" we had. Um...as for pages 68-69, are you talking about this thread? Because I checked out those pages, and I wasn't sure what to look for.
    189 auctions
    -69 73/189 38.6%
    -70 49/189 25.9
    Other 67/189 35.5

• << <i>189 auctions
    -69 73/189 38.6%
    -70 49/189 25.9
    Other 67/189 35.5 >>

thanks for the great work you do every morning!!
    man, it's just a little math

my eyesight is a bit fuzzy at this hour, hope I typed right

drinking coffee and doing the usual attitude adjustment thing
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Prices have not slipped much in the past few day's. I still feel this is as good a shot as anyone is likely to get at the lower prices because they are going to increase in value as the year goes on.

<< <i>Prices have not slipped much in the past few day's. I still feel this is as good a shot as anyone is likely to get at the lower prices because they are going to increase in value as the year goes on. >>

My mind believe this, but I just have to keep reminding myself to have patience! Not that I'm worried, just impatient. But I'm getting better.

I've sold off 5 of my 8 raws. I really have no interest in holding raw in this coin except for one that is slightly blemished. I'll save this one for my Dansco someday. The other two are really nice looking
    coins and are being sent to PCGS. Basically I've about broken even right now and still have 6 coins image

<< <i>man, it's just a little math

my eyesight is a bit fuzzy at this hour, hope I typed right

drinking coffee and doing the usual attitude adjustment thing >>

I'm just getting to the coffee now...actually got to sleep in today.
    But on the downside I'm working late...
    3900!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file