Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>You should go back to post 1 of this thread and read it from the beginning. Most of YOUR observations have been discussed in detail about a month and a half ago. You sound like a posting parrot. image >>

Well, jessewvu, thank you so much for deep comments, pointing out my ignorance and comparing me to a bird.

A bit bitter, are we? image Didn't your mother ever tell you: "If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all."? image >>

Bitter? Not really. This is what my mom did to me as a child image so don't take me too seriously.

I'm just saying you should take a look at the past 3500 posts that were made prior to your enterence here. Everything you could possibly want to know has probably already been discussed here in detail. >>

Really though. Would you read 3500 posts just to make one comment?image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>the obverse seems to be the same, for both the regular and the rev07 versions.

It is the same, the whole coin went through a font makeover.

Look at a coin from 07, you'll see the changes in the style of font.

Edit:

$492 raw, with crappy pics. Sales still appear to be strong.
    Eagle >>

If the obverse is the same as all previous years [cept fer the date a course] then this 08-w rev 07 as she's called is indeed the next logical coin in the series and the rev of 08 version is still at this point the oddball? >>

The obverse lettering is different on the 2008. >>

k ty sir
    theknowitalltroll;

• << <i> until the elites have a good percentage of them then all of a sudden they will be a great coin to have. >>

Exactly. Just like the new rule change about the First Strike designation submissions. How dare the little people indeed! image

• << <i>

<< <i>

...why someone would come out of nowhere and conjure up a story about an "anonymous former Mint manager" and claim this anonymous person told him hundreds of 2007-W Reverse dies were used on the 2008-Ws.. (which would result in at least triple the number of 2008-W ASEs that even exist).. what his motivation would be for posting such nonsense can only be left to the imagination.. and to whatever personal agenda he's trying to foist..
    >>

image >>

Yep, looks like someone is either funnin with us or thinks these coins are getting too expensive for their taste.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>3800 >>

WHAT does this mean??

Thanks.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>3800 >>

WHAT does this mean??

Thanks. >>

3,800 posts to this thread.image
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>3800 >>

WHAT does this mean??

Thanks. >>

3,800 posts to this thread.image >>

Thanks!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>3800 >>

WHAT does this mean??

Thanks. >>

Thanks! >>

He is fooling you. It is really secret code for something that only members of the secret coin society know. I could tell you but...you know.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>3800 >>

WHAT does this mean??

Thanks. >>

Thanks! >>

He is fooling you. It is really secret code for something that only members of the secret coin society know. I could tell you but...you know. >>

imageimage
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>

Really though. Would you read 3500 posts just to make one comment?image >>

Actually, yes I would. Or more likely, I just wouldn't comment in the giant threads if I haven't read any of it before.
    I just stay away. This one however, I post in because I was here from the beginning and have followed it
    ever since image

Besides, re-reading this thread is a good lesson on coins!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it means at least 3,800 errors made.

Renimage

• << <i>That is what I find annoying about some dealers. Everything is crap except of course what they sell. It always works out that way. >>

This is SOOOOO true. Man...talk about not being objective....I also find it extremely annoying that many dealers have their own agendas when it comes to giving you their "advice".

<< <i>they can then do what TonyKwoo was saying all along. Dictate the price. Just my own opinion.image >>

image Yes....first, the reverse 08 07 ASE, then....the price of gold....then....CONQUEST OF THE WORLD!!! Muhahahahahahaha...muhahahahahaha....muahahahahaha (choke, cough, cough, cough)...... image

• BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    True - very true. Every "shop" I've ever been to plays the same exact "Game"!

I like to just hang out and listen to the things they tell people as well as the ensuing
    conversation amongst employees AFTER the individual has left and the dealer scores!

After a while it DO TEND to make one nauseous! image

• << <i>True - very true. Every "shop" I've ever been to plays the same exact "Game"!

I like to just hang out and listen to the things they tell people as well as the ensuing
    conversation amongst employees AFTER the individual has left and the dealer scores!

After a while it DO TEND to make one nauseous! image >>

I remember one time how I witnessed one dealer talking down the price of one of his customer's items that he was trying to sell to the dealer. Anyway, he mentioned something about how the customer didn't have some kind of document, and that's why it was worth less. OK, fine.

Then, after the customer left, he was bragging to the other workers about how he had scored, using the crap about that document to lower the final selling price.....jeez...and these are the people that I'm supposed to trust with my money and my valuables??? image

• << <i>Then, after the customer left, he was bragging to the other workers about how he had scored >>

I witnessed a similar incident at a B&M shop in NY and this lady had documents. He wore and broke her spirit down and at the end she got $200 for her 5 items which was really worth a couple of $$$ each. image
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<This is one coin where the elites (big coin dealers) were caught behind the curve for the most part. How dare the "little people" get such a head start. Why, many of the coins were obtained directly fromt the mint and not from the elites with their usual mark up. Even more degrading for the elites is that they themselves had to purchase the coins from the "little people" in many cases (oh that hurts). The elites are disturbed by this and therefore the coin will be trashed....at least until the elites have a good percentage of them then all of a sudden they will be a great coin to have.>>

Very well put. I think a lot of major players didn't show up until the 8th inning. My local B&M can't get any, his guy is

unable to get any, but he tells me to dump them to him, yeah, ok.

Go little people!
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
    Is it against policy to add a BST offering in my sigline?

Yes it's a 08/07 -W.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    It would benefit holders of this coin if the dealers COULD get them. If they don't have them, they won't advertise them. No one will see them at shows. That's not good for the long-term prospects.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

<<It would benefit holders of this coin if the dealers COULD get them. If they don't have them, they won't advertise them. No one will see them at shows. That's not good for the long-term prospects.>>

Good point, never looked at it that way.
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    167 auctions
    -69 66/167 39.5%
    -70 46/167 27.6
    Other 55/167 32.9
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Kranky, you are absolutely correct in your ideas. The WI Quarters were mostly held by a few collectors and a few AZ dealers. Very few have been dispersed among collectors . Then, several coin error experts have done a "thumbs - down" regarding the origin and value of the extra leaf coins. There are several "nails" in the WI Coffin.
    Specialized Investments
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    This is one coin where the elites (big coin dealers) were caught behind the curve for the most part. How dare the "little people" get such a head start. Why, many of the coins were obtained directly fromt the mint and not from the elites with their usual mark up. Even more degrading for the elites is that they themselves had to purchase the coins from the "little people" in many cases (oh that hurts). The elites are disturbed by this and therefore the coin will be trashed....at least until the elites have a good percentage of them then all of a sudden they will be a great coin to have.

The distribution pattern of the 08/07 reminds me of the '99 Silver Proof Set. Most folks probably already know this, but there were severe sales limits placed on this set by the mint (2 per household and finally 10, as I remember). The large national retailers were unable to get them in quanity, and they were widely distributed to collectors who weren't selling. The price steadily climbed, and still 9 years later, carries a rather hefty premium.

Looks like Coast to Toast & The Rip-off Depot were behind the 8 ball on this one. Luckily MCM & Gainsville, who had substancial quanities, flipped theirs early.

Although it's probably a little early to speculate, but if this becomes a Redbook coin, registery coin, and especially if there is an album hole cut for it, these could indeed "go through the roof". JMHO, random thoughts, and wild conjecturing!

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
    <<but if this becomes a Redbook coin>>

Isn't this coin a slam dunk as far as being in the 2010 Redbook?

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<It would benefit holders of this coin if the dealers COULD get them. If they don't have them, they won't advertise them. No one will see them at shows. That's not good for the long-term prospects.>>

Good point, never looked at it that way. >>

A lot of them don't even know about them. Besides they are free to buy off the BS&T boards and eBay like everyone else. Many folks get turned off when they sell at lowball prices and see them later offered at a substantial markup.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

image >>

>>

Funny - the "O" in OF is a more obvious PUP than the stars or the tilde.
    Although the entire font is changed, for some reason this difference just jumps out at me.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    The new population figures for 07 reverses graded MS70 first strike only went up 1 coin this week to 161, and the non first strike is only at 45. I think these are going to be a real winner in a few years.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this like watching paint dry, yet ?

HE>I

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this like watching paint dry, yet ? >>

No. More like watching grass grow on a well fertilized lawn!

My last check was on 6/2 so the 161 number went up by quite a bit. Unfortunately, none of them were mine!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Last weeks #'s were 160.
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 829 ✭✭✭
    I'd have to agree - In the long term these will be winners. I'd like to get
    one of the PCGS FS's but it may be too late now, since prices are steep.

<< <i>Last weeks #'s were 160. >>

Last week wasn't 6/2.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • NGC POP= 11639 which is an increase of only 181 over the previous week. (previous increases were 6/9---320, 6/2---411, 5/26---554, 5/19---1409)

2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007 MS 4798 3 2376 2419
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6841 1 3750 3090

Kinda weird that there are over 2000 more Early Releases than brown labels and they sell at a premium....I guess eventually the raw coins will bring the browns up but 2000????

<< <i>NGC POP= 11639 which is an increase of only 181 over the previous week. (previous increases were 6/9---320, 6/2---411, 5/26---554, 5/19---1409)

2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007 MS 4798 3 2376 2419
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6841 1 3750 3090

Kinda weird that there are over 2000 more Early Releases than brown labels and they sell at a premium....I guess eventually the raw coins will bring the browns up but 2000???? >>

Well, you know "browns" deliver.image
  • stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    Get ready for my 5 to be added to that total - they are in quality control as we speak!! I think they will all be MS69s though as the reverse of all of them had a fairly noticeable spot on the right side.

<< <i>Get ready for my 5 to be added to that total - they are in quality control as we speak!! I think they will all be MS69s though as the reverse of all of them had a fairly noticeable spot on the right side. >>

Let us know how you do.
  • That "spot" could be a die fault and would not remove the 70 chance. I had a few with a pin hole in the exact same spot and they did fine.

• << <i>The distribution pattern of the 08/07 reminds me of the '99 Silver Proof Set. >>

One big difference though is that while the '99 Silver Proof Set mintage was 804,565, the ASE 08/07 Rev mintage is 47,000 (with possible "circulation" number being much less).

That means that the ASE 08/07 Rev is at least 17 times more rare than the '99 Silver Proof Set.

Oh, by the way, what does "BST" stand for?

EDIT: Looking at the most recent edition of Coin World, it's nice to see that the ASE 08/07 Rev is still being mentioned in one way or another. This time, it comes in the form of two editorial letters.

Seriously, I think that the more that we can promote the coin to the people that matter, the better off we'll be. I'll try emailing the red book to find out if they're going to acknowledge this coin in next year's edition.

<< <i>

<< <i>The distribution pattern of the 08/07 reminds me of the '99 Silver Proof Set. >>

One big difference though is that while the '99 Silver Proof Set mintage was 804,565, the ASE 08/07 Rev mintage is 47,000 (with possible "circulation" number being much less).

That means that the ASE 08/07 Rev is at least 17 times more rare than the '99 Silver Proof Set.

Oh, by the way, what does "BST" stand for? >>

Buy Sell Trade-another board here
  • Well, I just called Whitman Publishing (Redbook) and the woman I spoke to said that in regards to lisiting varieties, it's determined by the mint. The mint has to indicate if the ASE 08/07 Rev is a variety or not before they can put it in the Redbook. Any thoughts?

<< <i>Well, I just called Whitman Publishing (Redbook) and the woman I spoke to said that in regards to lisiting varieties, it's determined by the mint. The mint has to indicate if the ASE 08/07 Rev is a variety or not before they can put it in the Redbook. Any thoughts? >>

Who in the mint would do that? You have to be careful who you ask questions of when seeking answers. A lot of people will answer questions with their best guess since they don't want to sound dumb but many times the answers are wrong. I would guess they would confer with the ANA or another numismatic authority-not some bureaucrat from the government who is just counting the days until their pension kicks in. The mint hardly wants to even acknowledge that these exist.

• << <i>

<< <i>Well, I just called Whitman Publishing (Redbook) and the woman I spoke to said that in regards to lisiting varieties, it's determined by the mint. The mint has to indicate if the ASE 08/07 Rev is a variety or not before they can put it in the Redbook. Any thoughts? >>

Who in the mint would do that? You have to be carefull who you ask questions of when seeking answers. A lot of people will answer questions with their best guess since they don't want to sound dumb but many times the answers are wrong. I would guess they would confer with the ANA or Numismatic authority-not some bureaucrat from the government who is counting the days until their pension kicks in. >>

I'll be honest, I really don't know if she knew what she was talking about. I don't know how this whole process works. I asked to speak to someone about this, but she proceeded to answer the question. It's possible that she's just the receptionist...but I can't say for certain. But even if what she says is true, we know that the mint itself has admitted to the entire coin collecting public that they made this mistake. It's already out there...again, I'm still very new to this hobby, but how can anyone possibly ingore such an obviously distinctive coin?

As for the ANA...maybe I'll try giving them a call too.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

The person you talked to is incorrect. There is no way the Mint has any say in what's listed in the Redbook. There are at least 7 members here who are contributors to the Redbook and I bet one of them knows. And Dentuck would also know.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• I just called the ANA:

Rod Gillis
    Numismatic Educator
    Ext 145

He said that more than likely, it'll be in the Red Book next year. Also, (while he can't say for certain of course), he said that chances are, this coin will go up in value, depending on the mintage(he didn't know about the mint's disclosure of the 47,000 estimate). I told him about the 47,000 mintage that the mint disclosed, and I asked him if that figure could be trusted. He said that it's definitely at the very least a good "starting point".

As for other organizations and how they'll deal with this coin, he's still not entirely sure. But if it's going to be in the Red Book, I'm assuming that other groups are going to follow, right?

EDIT: One more thing. What exactly is coin Registry?
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    i don't have a complete run of Red Books (wish i did).. but outside of last year's special 60nd Anniversary page-for-page hardbound reproduction of the very first Edition (1947) which Whitman published, and is still out there on sale, as far as i know.. the oldest "real" one i have is the 1957 Edition, and the 1955 DDO Lincoln cent is not listed in it.. i don't have any other Editions from later in the 1950s.. after that my oldest one is some time in the 1960s.. so i don't know how many years it took them to add that most famous Lincoln cent error, but it was more than two Editions at least.. maybe someone here has a complete run of them from 1957 onwards and can take the time to look it up..

certainly, a lot has changed and a lot of people have come and gone from Whitman Publishing and the Mint in sixty years.. and varieties and errors get listed in the Red book more quickly than they used to.. i *think* but i don't remember exactly, that it took them at least a year, maybe two.. to add the 2004 Extra Leaf Wisconsin State Quarters.. and what did the Mint have to say about them, officially, and how long did it take them to say it?..

when the late Bob Ford of Tucson, AZ discovered them four years ago, he took a bunch to a local coin show and couldn't even get $1.25 each for them.. the stories were floated that they were caused by metal shavings, every expert around chimed in.. and eventually the story came out that it was a Mint employee who tooled a couple of dies on purpose..

i think i read somewhere that a similar "who cares?" response came from the collecting community back in 1955 when the DDO cent was discovered.. something around 20,000 were / are known to exist, a LOT of them went into circulation, and a LOT of them were originally found behind the cellophane of packs of cigarettes, which, at the time, cost 23 cents a pack.. folks on the East Coast, especially in NYC subway stations, would drop a quarter into a cigarette vending machine, pull a knob, out would come the pack of smokes with two cents (as change) behind the cellophane and a lot of those cents were the 1955 DDOs.. but they didn't show up in the Red book for at least two years.. because they're not in my 1957 Edition..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..

<< <i>

Who in the mint would do that? You have to be careful who you ask questions of when seeking answers. A lot of people will answer questions with their best guess since they don't want to sound dumb but many times the answers are wrong. I would guess they would confer with the ANA or another numismatic authority-not some bureaucrat from the government who is just counting the days until their pension kicks in. The mint hardly wants to even acknowledge that these exist. >>

Hmmmm. Maybe this is why the RDV-006 hasn't been recognized as a variety? image

Nah, I didn't think so.

The US Mint has already played their hand. They found 15 2007-W Reverse dies that were used during the production of the 2008-W coins.

Variety enough for me!

The name is LEE!
  • Hm...it just ocurred to me...one good way of getting it in the red book is to actually contact whitman publishing and remind them of this coin and ask what they think about it. As they say, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease!"

I don't want to predict anything...but it's possible that this could be just the tip of the ice-berg since not everyone seems to know about it yet. Who knows....
  • I just got this email response from Amy Lorenzo of NGC

Mr. Koo,

The 2008 W S$1 Reverse of 2007 is currently eligible for the 2008 W S$1 slot.

The relative rarity of Reverse of 2007 coins versus Reverse of 2008 coins has not yet been established. NGC will report the newly discovered variety in the NGC Census. Once this is determined, we may create a separate slot for the 2008 W Reverse of 2007 S$1.

I hope this information is helpful. Thank you for your inquiry.

Amy T. Lorenzo

NGC

What exactly does this mean? What is the "slot" she's talking about? And what's the "NGC Census"?
  • Red Book is worthless.
  • stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭

<< <i>That "spot" could be a die fault and would not remove the 70 chance. I had a few with a pin hole in the exact same spot and they did fine. >>

I did not know that - I sent them in pretty much to get them protected (although some people claim that the original plastic capsules are fine - I just dont know). These coins all have a pinhole at about 3:00 position on the reverse - maybe there is a chance! That would simply be a bonus!

Jeff

• << <i>Red Book is worthless. >>

Yes, of course. How could I have been so stupid. The most recognized resource for coin collectors and dealers all over the country for the past half century is, of course, worthless. How could I have been so blind. My apologies everyone. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file