Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    I have liquefied my life savings, cashed out my retirement plans, taken a 125% second mortgage and maxed out my credit cards to accumulate all of these coins I can. Anyone who does not recognize this opportunity is a damm fool. JMHO.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I was hoping my last 3 raw were not going to sell but could not prevent it because there were some offers on them but I am not unhappy , I made $275 each on them. All my PCGS'S (12) are safely locked away for my retirement including my MS70 first strike.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I stopped in at the Post Office to pick up my 2 Silver BU Eagles that were shipped 5-06-08 .

They have the 2008 reverse. image

Oh what the......... image

When I ordered them, I was unaware of the 08/07 thing, guess I have no cause for dissapointment.

• Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    0/8 from my order packed on May 12th.

And with that, I am out of the lottery from the Mint.
    My final tally from 4 orders: 8 out of 23

Got a few that look worthy so I'm sending 'em in to PCGS.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow there are a lot of posts in this thread. image >>

+1
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>I have liquefied my life savings, cashed out my retirement plans, taken a 125% second mortgage and maxed out my credit cards to accumulate all of these coins I can. Anyone who does not recognize this opportunity is a damm fool. JMHO. >>

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have liquefied my life savings, cashed out my retirement plans, taken a 125% second mortgage and maxed out my credit cards to accumulate all of these coins I can. Anyone who does not recognize this opportunity is a damm fool. JMHO. >>

At today's secondary market rates or did you get in when the 'gitten was good??
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number of BIN's available dropped by almost half since Sunday. Prices edged upwards again for all species today. No longer hearing about many new scores either from direct mint purchases. I have the feeling this ain't over by a long shot....
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>The number of BIN's available dropped by almost half since Sunday. Prices edged upwards again for all species today. No longer hearing about many new scores either from direct mint purchases. I have the feeling this ain't over by a long shot.... >>

Have a good one!!!!
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    128 auctions
    -69 40/128 31.2%
    -70 18/128 14.1
    Other 70/128 54.7
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    Wow all that for a silly little font change? Good luck.
  • Options
    I love those Tulips!
  • Options
    Those auction numbers are down almost 40% from yesterday and prices have firmed to going back up.

The number of PCGS FS listings is only 14 down from 20. They have yet to exceed 22 for the last week.
  • Options
    whoops.. image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The number of BIN's available dropped by almost half since Sunday. Prices edged upwards again for all species today. No longer hearing about many new scores either from direct mint purchases. I have the feeling this ain't over by a long shot.... >>

Did anybody see this post?

Add 94 more to the list of known's. Those may or may not have been included in the latest pops which now total 11,683 graded by PCGS & NGC.

I'd expect the listings to go up if this is representative of what's in the hands of graders.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Oh, yeah, I saw that stink.

Those Coins are in the POP as this order accounted for the MS70 FS going from 116 to 135 ( up 19 Coins ).

I think it odd that there are ONLY 1,358 First Strike Coins (MS69 + MS70) around.

He has a grade thru of 20.21% for 19/94 Coins although over all the overall grade thru is 9.9%.

So this guy has 14% Ownership of the First Strike MS70 Units

Smells to high heaven, IMHO, just on the statistical probability

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget, you could review your coins before sending them in, if he sent them in before the FS deadline. So, they may have had a few hunderd to look over.

• Options
    Recieved after FS cutoff, so they had to be sealed.

The only explanation is they were re-labels, but with the REGULAR 2008 W's included in the order, those aren't re-labeled!

It looks like a straight submission with mixed coins, submitted AFTER FS closeed out.

If it is a sealed submission, statistically, I find it hard to explain.

Watch me go poof.......
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The FS cutoff was shortly after discovery, wasn't it? There was not much time to sort these before submission. I would guess that most FS's were submitted blindly in sealed boxes, no?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    1201reset1201reset Posts: 185 ✭✭

Received an order of 3 coins today, 0/3 image

Order number: 288898XX

Order Date: 05/06/2008 at 01:XX PM

Picked and packaged 05/07/2008 at 02:11 PM, Aisle PA01.

• Options
    I see that Modern Coin Mart has the NGC MS69's for $429 each.
  • Options

<< <i>The FS cutoff was shortly after discovery, wasn't it? There was not much time to sort these before submission. I would guess that most FS's were submitted blindly in sealed boxes, no? >>

Also, take into consideration that PCGS didn't recognize the variety immediately, like NGC. Therefore, most people went with NGC, since PCGS was slow on the draw.
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • Options

<< <i>Don't forget, you could review your coins before sending them in, if he sent them in before the FS deadline. So, they may have had a few hunderd to look over. >>

There were 139 items in that submission of which 45 were not 08/07's. All the coins ion the submission are First Strike™ so I'm thinking these were definitely gone through prior to submission. Especially given the late date of shippin.

What I am looking at is the total numbers accounted for in submissions vs what the US Mint said had been produced. US Mint = 47,000, Graded = 11,683 (< 25%)

Comparitively speaking, 250,000 Reverse proof Silver Eagles were produced and some of those were going for serious money during the craze yet less than 25% had also been graded by PCGS & NGC meaning that there were 75% of the total population left ungraded.

Not everybody reads these boards and not everybody submits to a grading service and not everybody even bothers to open their US Mint treasure boxes.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Lee,

What bothers me is the in date of 5/8 which was 15 days after cut off.

That said, this was no cherry picked re-submittal , the 2008 W Regulars are the evidence.

My point is the OVER 20% grade-thru on a blind submittal!

Just the regular 2008 W's are a generous 16% because with the correct die for the reverse, there is better metal flow and thus more 70's.

Now with the miss-matched dies WITH THE ALTERED METAL FLOW that produces the 2008 W/2007W's are grading out at 9.9%

How does one explain a 100+% jump in the grade thru with his result of 20.21% yields of MS70?

He only got 1 ! MS 70 out of the REGULAR 2008 W's!?? With the good metal flow?

I am not a mathematician and I do not play one on TV. However, I got (2) A's in my courses on Statistics (the only 2 A's in my illustrious, 6-year College adventure of skiing, drinking and chasing girls) and what I can remember thru my 'fog' of beer, girls and powder is that this 'don't add up!'
  • Options
    moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    Received an order of 4 coins today, 0/4 image

Order Date: 05/14/2008

0/9, I'm done, no more orders for me!
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    He could have opened the boxes there, i'm sure PCGS would make an accomodation to get more FS labels out...or he was just lucky, choose one.

mine will go poof b4 yours CoinBoy

JMHO

imageimage
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He could have opened the boxes there, i'm sure PCGS would make an accomodation to get more FS labels out...or he was just lucky, choose one. mine will go poof b4 yours CoinBoy JMHO imageimage >>

Not an option. --Jerry
  • Options
    not even if they were FS eligible?
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489

Not a wise investment. Any wise investor understands the term "diversify"
    i could see maxing the credit cards for a short term. Flip a few and pay the balance down.

I hope you are not married or have children to raise. If so, I would dump them now and seek investment advice..JMHO
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>Received an order of 4 coins today, 0/4 image

Order Date: 05/14/2008

0/9, I'm done, no more orders for me! >>

the party's over.. the well's gone dry.. someone closed the barn doors after the horse ran out.. my opinion - it's pointless to order any more 2008-Ws from the Mint and expect to get any 08/07s at this point in time.. the reports of finds in May orders, whether itsy bitsy orders or Mongo (only pawn in game of life).. orders have dried up to a trickle and a lot of imageimageimages.. postings.. leaving a lot of us with a bunch of normal coins and wondering what to do with them if they don't look like 70s.. return them, keep them, or we just bought a bunch of early Birthday and Xmas gifts.. i guess..

anyone want to sell me a raw 08/07 in OGP at a non-eBay price out of sheer pity?.. okay.. forget the pity.. people in actual dire straights deserve pity.. coin collectors dont.. so lemme re-phrase that.. anyone sitting on a mountain of them wanna be a nice guy and sell me a CLEAN 08/07 in OGP at non-eBay prices?.. contact me with a PM.. or maybe we can arrange a trade, although this isn't the bored on which to do it..

oh lookie.. my moniker just changed from "Senior Member" to "Veteran".. after my 500nd posting.. also my eBay feedback jumped up by 90 yesterday.. did yawl catch eBay's new feedback policies which went into effect on 19 May, 2008?.. did you wonder why your feedback suddenly jumped up?.. did you know you can NO LONGER LEAVE A NEGATIVE FOR A WINNING BIDDER?.. check out their announcement bored.. lots and lots of feedback rule changes..

Thanks
    Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see that Modern Coin Mart has the NGC MS69's for $429 each. >>

The NGC Ms-70s are pretty much all clearing 700.00 on the bay
  • Options
    don't'cha thing everyone who wanted one has it already and it's just flippers out there now?

although i do think prices will still go higher....

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

At today's secondary market rates or did you get in when the 'gitten was good?? >>

Unfortunately I did not get any from the mint this year.

I might have exaggerated my plunge into this ASE 08/07 opportunity.

This market was at least half way reasonable until relatively recently. I have and will not chase them over $300, so a number of coins have been bid away from me.

I have not bought any slabbed coins.

Edited to add that I often get in at the top of a cycle.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options

<< <i>Lee,

What bothers me is the in date of 5/8 which was 15 days after cut off.

That said, this was no cherry picked re-submittal , the 2008 W Regulars are the evidence.

My point is the OVER 20% grade-thru on a blind submittal!

Just the regular 2008 W's are a generous 16% because with the correct die for the reverse, there is better metal flow and thus more 70's.

Now with the miss-matched dies WITH THE ALTERED METAL FLOW that produces the 2008 W/2007W's are grading out at 9.9%

How does one explain a 100+% jump in the grade thru with his result of 20.21% yields of MS70?

He only got 1 ! MS 70 out of the REGULAR 2008 W's!?? With the good metal flow?

I am not a mathematician and I do not play one on TV. However, I got (2) A's in my courses on Statistics (the only 2 A's in my illustrious, 6-year College adventure of skiing, drinking and chasing girls) and what I can remember thru my 'fog' of beer, girls and powder is that this 'don't add up!' >>

The received date is not always a good indicator of when the coins were mailed.

I mailed my Presidential First Day of Issue Dollars on 5/15, they were delivered on 5/16 yet they have not been posted as being "received". When they do post, they will reflect the date they were posted as the date they were "received".

15 days IS a fairly big spread but if they were mailed registered on 4/23 it is possibly that they took 7+ days to arrive in Newport Beach and an additional 7 days to actually get posted. Especially if the outside of the box did not specify a grading level.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have liquefied my life savings, cashed out my retirement plans, taken a 125% second mortgage and maxed out my credit cards to accumulate all of these coins I can. Anyone who does not recognize this opportunity is a damm fool. JMHO...........
    ..........I might have exaggerated my plunge into this ASE 08/07 opportunity...
    >>

I was hoping you were exagerating. My goodness!!!image

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    I just recieved a order of four from the mint. Three were 08/08 the fourth was a 2008 proof image Amazing
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

260242041526 NGC MS70 ER..........924.00image
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    About what MCM is listing them for Now!
  • Options
    Just got my last box of 10.
    Got 0 for 10.

Poop. I guess we're all done with this one.
  • Options

<< <i>Just got my last box of 10.
    Got 0 for 10.

Poop. I guess we're all done with this one. >>

Well, I guess it all reflects on your avatar

Have a good one!!! image
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I just recieved a order of four from the mint. Three were 08/08 the fourth was a 2008 proof Amazing

Just further evidence that the Fulfillment Center is shipping returns.

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Received 3 boxes today total of 30 coins 0/30......all returns
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>don't'cha thing everyone who wanted one has it already and it's just flippers out there now?

although i do think prices will still go higher.... >>

How do you come to that conclusion? If there were less than 47 thousand ASE collectors then where did all those other ASE's go
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>Just further evidence that the Fulfillment Center is shipping returns. >>

I rec'd my last 2 orders today (4 & 5)..As expected 0/9...I will say there was a marked difference in the 2 orders. One had everything out of boxes scattered around, coins of poor quality and the other had the capsules firmly in the boxes with nice quality coins. In my opinion one was returns and one was not. The one with the "returns" will be going back (again)
  • Options

<< <i>don't'cha thing everyone who wanted one has it already and it's just flippers out there now? >>

Flippers may be selling but those without the coins are the buyers....It would be pretty ballsy to try and flip a $900 NGC 70 but one you bought for $249 or even better $25.95 would be a tempting "flip"
  • Options
    The prices are going strong. Grab a bag of popcorn, This movie is far from being over image
  • Options

<< <i>I will say there was a marked difference in the 2 orders. One had everything out of boxes scattered around, coins of poor quality and the other had the capsules firmly in the boxes with nice quality coins. In my opinion one was returns and one was not. The one with the "returns" will be going back (again) >>

I guess I don't understand. image

Do you suppose the Fulfillment Center simply sticks a shipping label on what gets returned to them without inspecting them and then just sends it out again?

Or

could it be that the way they pack them allows for the boxes to come open?

I've stated before that my original shipment had opened SAE boxes in it way before the announcement of the 08/07 coins so just assuming that when you receive a box that has opened containers in it is a "return" may not be an entirely correct assumption.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    0/6 TODAY

I have ordered 6-7 coins x 2 a day for last 7 days to see if it is till possibile.
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file