Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, midnight.......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CoinMaster1229CoinMaster1229 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
    The mint says 47,000 07 reverse eagles made in error, but most of us beleave 47,000 did not get out into circulation. this opinion is based on how many are for sale on E-bay recently. But there has to be hundreds if not thousands at PCGS or NGC waiting to be graded as we speak. not to mention those in sealed boxes, or in the hands of those that don`t now what they have yet. many more have made it into firm hands also.
    I think we will see many more going up for sale in weeks to come. that said, I beleave they will still continue to rise in price. thats still very low mintage!
    Checking out the PCGS price guide, the 1995-W Proof 70 list for $35,000 Wow!! however the PCGS pop report shows only 1 1995-W coin ever graded that high. considering how many 2008/07 PCGS MS70`s there are, what will the MS70 value settle in at? image
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    My 2 cents based on what has happend so far and with other fast risers: By the end of the year - NGC ms70 $2,500 & PCGS ms70 $3,200 (if fewer than 25,000 surface)

Or $1,500 NGC to $1,800 PCGS if 45,000 or more.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>My 2 cents based on what has happend so far and with other fast risers: By the end of the year - NGC ms70 $2,500 & PCGS ms70 $3,200 (if fewer than 25,000 surface)

Or $1,500 NGC to $1,800 PCGS if 45,000 or more. >>

I would push this a little higher image "you ain't seen nothin yet". BTO

Have a good one!!!
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options

<< <i>Wait a few months...it'll drop to right around $50 >>

I have just one Question, Can you say that in English ? image

Have a good one!!!!
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    137 auctions
    -69 35/137 25.5%
    -70 35/137 25.5
    Other 67/137 49.0
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    What's the deal ?? Mint rep told me yesterday that all of their 2008/07 ASE's were gone. Coin World online has an article that states that the Mint is still delivering the 2008/07 error ASE W coins to collectors !! Strange !! Any comments ??
    Specialized Investments
  • Options

<< <i>What's the deal ?? Mint rep told me yesterday that all of their 2008/07 ASE's were gone. Coin world online has an article that ststes that the Mint is still delivering the 2008/07 error ASE W coins to collectors !! Strange !! Any comments ?? >>

YES, Don't believe either image

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    What's the deal ?? Mint rep told me yesterday that all of their 2008/07 ASE's were gone. Coin World online has an article that states that the Mint is still delivering the 2008/07 error ASE W coins to collectors !! Strange !! Any comments ??

The CW article was probably written a couple of weeks ago from info probably a week older than that. This thing has moved pretty quickly considering that just over 5 weeks ago no one even knew that the variety existed!

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>What's the deal ?? Mint rep told me yesterday that all of their 2008/07 ASE's were gone. Coin World online has an article that states that the Mint is still delivering the 2008/07 error ASE W coins to collectors !! Strange !! Any comments ??

The CW article was probably written a couple of weeks ago from info probably a week older than that. This thing has moved pretty quickly considering that just over 5 weeks ago no one even knew that the variety existed!

Regards, John >>

Good Morning John,

Your 15 minutes of fame is going to last a while. Have a safe & enjoyable Loooooong Weekend image

Have a good one!!!
  • Options
    I've got 5 at PCGS and the wait is KILLING me! Are they waiting to see if the coin will spot? image

Anyone know where we check the current turnaround times?
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

John,

I remember reading the first post you made on these, and thinking image This whole thing is moving at an unbelievable pace.

Thanks again John for being on your toes and shaing it with the members, its all good..........image

Oh! and before I forget John Nanney...............YOU SUCK!!!!
  • Options
    Congrats on your YOU SUCK award Johnimageimageimage
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like getting a mint cookie in your oreos. Then, instead of eating it, you sell it at the Kool Aid stand.
    What a concept in coin collecting image

~shakin' the bush, boss~
  • Options

<< <i>Oh! and before I forget John Nanney...............YOU SUCK!!!! >>

Major "You Suck" award. Usually that award is given because an individual made a great score for HIM/HERSELF. This one elevates the award because it affected the masses and made this thread into one big group blog.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Oh! and before I forget John Nanney...............YOU SUCK!!!! >>

Major "You Suck" award. Usually that award is given because an individual made a great score for HIM/HERSELF. This one elevates the award because it affected the masses and made this thread into one big group blog. >>

Let's also not forget that working shlub at the mint who switched the dies for us. We will never know his/her name but here is a big "you suck" award to nim/her. Thanks for puting a little more life in the ASE program.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    YoU SUck! image
  • Options
    New record........170220018769 PCGS 2008 W REV. of 2007 MS70 First Strike..........3437.33..........ka-ching
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    I prefer "Eagle Eyes" John Nanney . . .
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>New record........170220018769 PCGS 2008 W REV. of 2007 MS70 First Strike..........3437.33..........ka-ching >>

Ok, now this isn't funny anymore! When the 70 hits this kind of level it is important to remember this is GETTING SERIOUS.
    This has become a storm and storms/boats deserve a name..a moniker...a title.
    What is to be?
    The Reverse of Logic?

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>New record........170220018769 PCGS 2008 W REV. of 2007 MS70 First Strike..........3437.33..........ka-ching >>

Ok, now this isn't funny anymore! When the 70 hits this kind of level it is important to remember this is GETTING SERIOUS.
    This has become a storm and storms/boats deserve a name..a moniker...a title.
    What is to be?
    The Reverse of Logic?

Miles >>

PCGS again comes in "first" by following NGC
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    If I submitted some ASEs during the FS period and didn't ask for FS designation could I resubmit them later for FS designation as original date coin was submitted/graded would still be on record from 1st submission??
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea what this thread is about, but since there are so many posts, I thought I'd better get my first one in.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I submitted some ASEs during the FS period and didn't ask for FS designation could I resubmit them later for FS designation as original date coin was submitted/graded would still be on record from 1st submission?? >>

Seems like you should but it also seems like they should allow crossover first strike from NGC early release and they don't do that. Call and find out.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no idea what this thread is about, but since there are so many posts, I thought I'd better get my first one in. >>

Thank you for your contribution.image
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    (4) more Orders made last week arrived at Lunchtime:

0/7
    0/8
    0/6
    0/6

I had one Z8F with just the capsule in it & COA. The capsule was sealed tight and snuggly fitted in the velvet deal. The Coin was at bottom of box under Invoice and Mint Insert.

These are being checked for sure and swapped out, if they can.

(4) More coming in next week and I expect the same. These coins are all gone.
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    are the checkers allowed to buy these back when they find them?!!!
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If I submitted some ASEs during the FS period and didn't ask for FS designation could I resubmit them later for FS designation as original date coin was submitted/graded would still be on record from 1st submission?? >>

Seems like you should but it also seems like they should allow crossover first strike from NGC early release and they don't do that. Call and find out. >>

no to both
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have no idea what this thread is about, but since there are so many posts, I thought I'd better get my first one in. >>

Thank you for your contribution.image >>

How come nobody ever thanks me for mine image ? I quit !

I'm not coming back here ever again.
    Watch Yogi pout image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thank you for your contribution.image >>

How come nobody ever thanks me for mine image ? I quit !

I'm not coming back here ever again.
    Watch Yogi pout image >>

Would you like some cheese with that...image

Ren
  • Options
    OH NOES...are you serious with that? must be a joke.
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    A Nice Sale by SUMORADA!

BIN for a PCGS MS70 went off at $3,200 + !!

Way to go!
  • Options
    US $3,232.00 ..... WOW!!
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    So what gives buyers the confidence to spend thousands of dollars more than what a (newly released) coin was issued for when it is still unkown how many there are? I would think that it is still a gamble at this point? or is this now a sure thing?
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options

<< <i>US $3,232.00 ..... WOW!!
    image >>

So, did beers flip that in less than a week for $1100 more?

Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • Options
    As this train continues up the grade more ASE collectors will feel the need for speed and climb aboard. The question is...which direction is this train headed...east or west?

If heading west then we have a nice long slow climb and then it hits the Rockies and hopefuly stays there.

Or, has it been going east and we are somewhere near Doner Pass and Truckee.

Ren
  • Options
    Burnie! LOL!

If it looks like a duck, if it walks like a duck, it's probably a duck....

pssst....they are selling pretty good and there are only (8) PCGS First Strikes of ANY grade to be found on EBay.....

...sorry you missed out, but don't post your sour grapes over here. You don't look good doing so. image
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    odd how i forgot about the power of plastic.
    this house of cards will tumble hard sometime in the future.
    should be fun to watch!
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    HSN will be offering the 2008/7 ASE that everyone wants at the beginning of next hour !! What a Dog and Pony Show!! Happy Holiday Weekend !!
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    Here's the PCGS Pop for these:

MS68 FS or Lower - 0
    MS68 or Lower - 2

MS69 FS - 1223
    MS69 - 215

MS70 FS - 135
    MS70 - 15

Total Graded: 1590

Completed BS&T Deals

• Options
    ca0100000ca0100000 Posts: 362 ✭✭

<< <i>HSN will be offering the 2008/7 ASE that everyone wants at the beginning of next hour !! What a Dog and Pony Show!! Happy Holiday Weekend !! >>

Only 799.95 per set http://youtube.com/watch?v=86qnMzYFlM8
  • Options
    He believes that they are correctly identified as a variety, so in essence they're an error. Doh! image
    Completed BS&T Deals

• Options
    Damn, that guy on HSN is good!
  • Options
    First Strike is a farce. I can't believe that non-numismatists (read: investors and speculators) would not perform even a token amount of research and analysis of the underlying fundamentals of an investment vehicle into which they so liberally (wastefully) pour their money. Presumably, many of these people were successful business people/professionals during their careers (after all, they have the disposable income to spend on these overpriced coins). How can successful, otherwise sensible people be so careless with their money? Obviously they were not so reckless or blinded by emotion when they amassed their fortunes (some bigger than others). Is it simply because they have so much [to waste] to begin with [and can afford to be reckless]? Even schoolchildren are more careful with their precious money; today, a boy no older than ten walked up to the teller line and vetted our bank by asking us probing and direct questions so that he could judge our suitability to be the custodian of his hard earned money (twenty dollars). Do you guarantee my money if you get robbed? If I put in X amount, how much will it be in five years? Etc.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it is time to slow down bid chasing of the 2008/07s ..supply is waiting in the wings
    Yesterday ..Moderncoinmart pulled 10 NGC 69s off ebay..a couple of hours ago someone had 12 PCGS 1st strike 69s at above market price..no takers . prices have risen sharply in the last 2 weeks ..may be time for a breatherimage
  • Options

What kind of holder was that on HSN?
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    That was an ANACS holder and the MS69 was only $799,but they said the next group they sell will be higher.
  • Options

Looks like it is time to slow down bid chasing of the 2008/07s ..supply is waiting in the wingsLooks like it is time to slow down bid chasing of the 2008/07s ..supply is waiting in the wings

I sold a raw one today on the bay for 370.00, a NGC MS70 for 733.00 and a PCGS MS70 FS for 3300.00.........I don't think they are slowing down.......JMO

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    sent a sealed first strike elig box of 10 - 2008-w's to pcgs

all turned out to be 08/07's........

all fs

9-69's; 1-70 en route back to me now

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file