Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I'm 0 for 6 with respect to the 07 reverse.

But it's all okay, as my cat gained six ounces...so I needed the silver to keep my set current.

[edit] order for six filled 5/14. No 07 reverses.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How many 08/07 coins do " you " have in hand ? image

I have a total of 14 image

Have a good one!!!

image >>

4 two 69 two 70
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    Ebay prices still holding up even with more coins listed..Odd thing is look at the large number of bidders.... in cases some 25+ bidders for the 2008,07 coins .If anything , a lot of interest in the 2008/07 Eagles

I noticed that the ones I have on ebay are getting a high number of bids and the bidders are for the most part 5 to 60 feedbacks with 100% ratings...............

I'm gonna get some bumpers stickers made..................I LUVimage THE USM
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>
    I'm gonna get some bumpers stickers made..................I LUVimage THE USM >>

not too sure if i love the Mint.. but i can say with a certain amount of assuredness that i fimageing hate the USPS.. my box of two didn't make today's mail delivery.. pile of junk mail and that was it.. should be delivered tomorrow.. hopefully no deflated air bags, no open capsules, no trashed up ASEs.. they don't pack two in a huge box with insufficient dunnage inside to keep them from flying apart like the picture above.. they pack them in a slim box, side by side.. at least they usually do.. well, i won't know until i get it and put 100 foot pounds of lift on that flap.. but if they did pack them like that picture above, unless either or both is / are the error coins, they're goin' back.. unless they look like 70s.. and i think it's not too hard to tell a 69 from a 70 when it comes to ASEs.. since i had seven NGC 69s here and it was fairly obvious why they were 69s.. whoever packed that box of five should have his pants pulled down and spanked live on CNN.. yeah sure, people make mistakes.. that goes way beyond a mistake.. way beyond common sense.. i've had $3.00 eBay purchases that were packed 10x better than that.. what that picture shows is a warehouse worker who simply does not care and takes no pride in his work.. to him they're not someone's treasures.. they're sacks of manure..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had 4 boxes of 5 each and everyone of them looked like that when i opened them up.Luckily no damage and i did get 6 out of 20 with the 07 reverse. >>

Hey Mack! What was your order, ship and delivery dates?
  • Options
    Friend of mine got 35 yesterday. 0 for 15, 0 for 10, 0 for 10. ordered around 5/8 I think.
  • Options
    Saam,I ordered 2 boxes of 5 each on 5/3 and 2 boxes of 5 each on 5/5.They where all shippied on 5/8.One of the boxes ordered on 5/3 held 5 of 5 rev 07's and the other box only held one.Both boxes ordered on 5/5 held zippo of the rev.07's.
  • Options

<< <i>Friend of mine got 35 yesterday. 0 for 15, 0 for 10, 0 for 10. ordered around 5/8 I think. >>

image so that's what that giant sucking sound was..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Although I am 0 for 6 on the 2007 reverse...on a delivery shipped 5/15...

I do see a big old milk spot on one of these coins right next to the date. Brand new from the image US Mint. Oh well. I eagerly anticipate the high relief bullion saint replicas. And the buffalos.

It's nice to know that some things don't change.

• Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Heck, I'm going to do my Happy Dance when my order arrives no matter how many (if any) 07 reverses.
    If I get any 07 reverses, I plan on doing mu SUPER Happy Dance. >>

YOU GO

Have a good one!!! >>

No Happy Dance yet.

Since I'm going to the Andrews AFB air show tomorrow, chances are that the package will arrive and I won't be able to get it until Monday.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EARLY ORDER NUMBERS REQUEST

There have been very few posts on this thread with sourcing reports from earlier dates. Please post your results from 3/17 (first date available) to 4/15. It seems that the subscriptions were void of 08/07's, but they came about later -- how much later? AK
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    My initial subscription order that was filled as soon as the coins became available arrived within 5 days of that date. There were no 08/07 coins and at least one of the boxes was missing a lid. The lid was later found at the bottom of 9 other boxes.

And for those that think this was rifling or searching on the Mint's part, this was at least two weeks prior to the announcement that a mistake had been made with the 2007 reverse dies.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    What's the current estimate of the number of 08/07 coins?
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>What's the current estimate of the number of 08/07 coins? >>

Its still the mints word of 47K. Forum members own about 500 so far
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>My initial subscription order that was filled as soon as the coins became available arrived within 5 days of that date. There were no 08/07 coins and at least one of the boxes was missing a lid. The lid was later found at the bottom of 9 other boxes.

And for those that think this was rifling or searching on the Mint's part, this was at least two weeks prior to the announcement that a mistake had been made with the 2007 reverse dies. >>

Same here, ordered five set's of five the first week. SAME AS ABOVE!!!

Have a good one!!!
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    I expect orders of 4 & 5 to arrive today. I hope they don't go through Northeren Iraq like yesterdays mess. image
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    194 auctions
    -69 46/194 23.7%
    -70 33/194 17.0
    Other 115/194 59.3
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ordered on the 8th, received on the 14th, went 0 for 20.

Don't care really, maybe this will be a low mintage afterall. 200K plus minted so far, with 153k returned to the Mint.

Keeping them, who knows, may be lower than the 06W. image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Does anyone know how many of these coins have been sold on ebay since it's discovery?From all i have seen so far in numbers,i believe this coin is going to be less than 20,000 in the hands of collectors and flippers.Of course,that is just my opinion because i think the Mint went thru many of the orders and caught quite a few of these coins before they sent them out.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ordered on the 8th, received on the 14th, went 0 for 20.

Don't care really, maybe this will be a low mintage afterall. 200K plus minted so far, with 153k returned to the Mint.

Keeping them, who knows, may be lower than the 06W. image >>

i have picked up a few MS70 08/08 very cheap, why not?

• Options
    CoinMaster1229CoinMaster1229 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
    If the mint caught some of the error 07/reverse coins, what will they do with them? possible destroy them. image
  • Options
    I agree with the others who contend the Mint simply would not have the time or interest to remove these. There were too many still trickling out until ~May 5. Why? They can simply state (although they won't) that they were performing a test trial, or using up some old dies for efficiency purposes.

I suspect the rifled boxes were either returns or poor packaging. The only thing that backfired in these "genius" plan to stimulate sales is the extra work in reprocessing LOTS of returns, but you can bet sales were WAY up...

Any way you cut it, this has been a real winner for everyone, especially us SAE fans! Thank you Mint. Keep the surprises coming.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>If the mint caught some of the error 07/reverse coins, what will they do with them? possible destroy them. image >>

well they'd either waffle them, as they've been doing with error State Quarters.. which somehow end up in slabs.. how do waffled coins get out of the Mint?.. i dunno.. or, since these are pure Silver, not clad base metals like the quarters are.. they'd melt them, or if they were really evil, they'd sell a two-coin 2008-W ASE "Variety set" with a regular 08/08 and an 08/07 in it, put a strict limit on it, and probably charge $699.95 for it.. but i don't think they're THAT evil.. then again, i never ASSume anything about what the gubmint might do or not do.. just musing, as i wait, again, for the mailman to bring me the mystery package..

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Wayne,
    I tried to change my return privalege window to 10 days per the ANA mandate you recommended and eBay's dropdown windown only gives 7 days and 14 days as options. So much for eBay working closely with ANA. --Jerry
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2125 made so far.image

My sampling of raws yesterday on ebay ranged $260 to $331.00.

Ren
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Bad news little crabbers, I ordered 15 ASE's on May 8 received today and 0/15 they are on their way back. Sorry I can play the game too.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If the mint caught some of the error 07/reverse coins, what will they do with them? possible destroy them. image >>

well they'd either waffle them, as they've been doing with error State Quarters.. which somehow end up in slabs.. how do waffled coins get out of the Mint?.. i dunno.. or, since these are pure Silver, not clad base metals like the quarters are.. they'd melt them, or if they were really evil, they'd sell a two-coin 2008-W ASE "Variety set" with a regular 08/08 and an 08/07 in it, put a strict limit on it, and probably charge $699.95 for it.. but i don't think they're THAT evil.. then again, i never ASSume anything about what the gubmint might do or not do.. just musing, as i wait, again, for the mailman to bring me the mystery package.. >>

SAEs wouldn't be waffled. They would be processed for melting.

Waffled coins aren't considered "coins" by the USMint as they were considered non-monetized scrap. They got out of the mint through official scrap metal trash. Someone decided "hey.....coin collectors are really stupid...I bet they would pay good money for this 5 cents worth of metal". And, they were right image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    My last order of 6 came snail mail today 0/6. No more for me.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see very few posts here for board members wanting to buy these wonder coins at current prices.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>I see very few posts here for board members wanting to buy these wonder coins at current prices. >>

I'm still buying. I don't do as much on the BST board as I should. PM me if you have something to sell. I don't consider this as spam but as a reply to your post. Hope all agree. -Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>I see very few posts here for board members wanting to buy these wonder coins at current prices. >>

It Is not over yet my friend image
  • Options
    I just accidently opened up page 2 where it was noted that one ebayer (subwaydrivethru or something like that) bought 86 at $150 each for $12.9K. That would have been a quick profit of $14k or so, except it looks like he didn't pay--he's been naru'd. --Jerry
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Drum roll ....from a 5-7 order , 1 for 9 ..with 6 of the 2008/08 coins having black or other spots. The one 2008/07 looks like it was a return . coin popped out of the lens when box was openedimage
  • Options
    Anyone have the current PCGS pop's on these??
  • Options
    order for two (2) placed on 03 May.. packed on 06 May.. tossed and turned all night with strange, lucid dreams and insomnia.. must've been over 80 degrees in the bedroom.. i knew the package would be in today's mail.. and i had to go grocery shopping.. got about 2 hours sleep.. up at five am.. just couldn't sleep.. morning rituals.. online banking, check Calif. lotto Web site.. someone hit the Mega lotto for over $200 million but it wasn't me.. my tickets got bupkiss.. go to the supermarket, fistful of coupons, it's a mile away so only takes a teaspoon of gasoline to get there and back, so, $14 worth of gasoline..

buy all the usual stuff.. ooh! Stouffers are all $2.00 each!.. butter on sale for $1.00.. cigarettes $2.40 a pack.. what's going on, did the Manager hit his head on something?.. is it 1982?.. 830am and it's already over 80f outside.. come home, haul two heavy bags, $58.00 worth of consumables upstairs, keep telling myself it was all "free" since i sold something for about that much money that didn't cost me anything.. put everything away, sweating like a stuck pig.. turn on
    a / c.. so tired i can barely keep my eyes open.. 11am.. go out and check the mailbox.. nothing yet..

plop down on the sofa and put on a movie i recorded last night.. "Lillies of the Field" with Sidney Poitier, 1963.. excellent movie, seen it many times.. fall asleep in the middle of it, head tilted to one side.. wake up, it's 230pm.. oww my neck!..

put on sunglases to go out to the mailbox.. wait, what's this small white box shoved in my screen door?.. could it be.. is it.. Yes! DHL SmartMail.. an oxymoron if there ever was one..

turn around, take off sunglasses.. plop back down on the sofa.. the box looks okay, no forklift tire tracks or footprints or mustard stains.. what lurks within?..

Janet Leigh slides the shower curtain open as she unwraps a bar of soap and turns on the water.. Bernard Herrmann violins begin swelling in the background..

i reach for the tear strip.. pull it open.. hmm.. should i throw the tear strip in the trash or hold it in one hand.. good luck? bad luck?.. two small blue boxes inside, side-by-side.. the suspense is too much to handle.. okay, it's time.. gotta look.. don't wanna look.. gotta look..

i open the first blue box.. okay, hello Lady Liberty.. i swear she turned her head and looked back.. that's normal.. capsule looks okay, nothing broken, nothing missing, carefully pry the capsule out and the whole world goes into slow-motion as i turn it over and..

08/08..

sigh.. image

okay, we got one more shot at it.. pull the second box out.. lift the lid, move the COA aside.. i swear she's smirking at me.. capsule looks okay, light a cigarette, shout "scotch on the rocks, my good man.. make it a double!" but no one hears me.. damn my neck hurts..

fingertip in the lift depression, out comes the capsule.. i can't stand it.. the knife is plunging into Janet Leigh over and over and over again.. violins screeching.. flip the coin over and..

08/08..

sigh.. image

swing.. miss.. swing.. miss.. 0/2, both MS69s..

Janet Leigh collapses in a heap on the bathroom floor.. eyes open, nose bent.. shadowy figure runs out of the room.. the Hindenburg explodes.. the Titanic sinks..

next weekend second order of two should arrive.. stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel.. but i think the party's over, kids.. the fat lady sang.. janitor's sweeping up the confetti and balloons.. emptying the ashtrays.. vault door's slammed shut.. maybe.. MAYBE? hah!.. i'm not even gonna squirm for the second package because i already know what's gonna be in it.. two $26.00 coins..

• Options
    I just started reading this entire thread from the beginning and thought it would be cool to see what people here were saying while this whole thing was developing..............
    just for kicks......
    I'll do a couple I thought were entertaining just to get it started....you will notice that they are anonymous, I did it that way to keep it light and to keep the folks that were correct in there thinking on these in the begining from enlarging there ego's, and to protect the others.......

PLEASE add your favorites............

So a lot of NGC 70's closes at about $375 per coin Sunday night. Just a few hours earlier a lot closed at about $300 higher per coin. It would sure suck to be a high bidder in that first batch. Seems prices are dropping already.

TextWe shall see. The only way to win is to buy EVERY piece of $&!% that the Mint sells and hope for another rebate from the gov to cover the losses.

TextThis is just nuts auction # 380018869457.........

TextNGC MS69 at $521.77.

I was offered a few NGC69s at $125 ngc 70s at $275. Would you pass or play?

got the same offer and I'm buying some PCGS FSs When the coinworld story comes out demand will go up. When people figure out that there are more than they thought price will go down.

When the coinworld story comes out demand will go up. When people figure out that there are more than they thought price will go down.

with prices like those, ebay should be full of them in a few weeks.

Sounds like it's not going to turn out to be a great rarity....

Sucker play, IMHO. Why buy a kind of expensive coin when the population is very likely to go up? Still a great find in a mint order. What will happen when it milkspots?

What a dreary life you must lead

Gainsville continues to sell these at $150.

Do you have a link, please?

Though I collect these, I think I'll wait to see what happens with these.

Why try to "win"? Why not just collect what you like? Or, is it all about flipping for a profit?

Where has this been reported?

Look up, click link..

Gainsville has to be loving life.

thanks Miles...i picked up one because i can't do without..

SCORE ! ! !

I just purchased (2) from Gainesville coins. $150.00 ea, 1/2 price from the 'Bay

bought 2 NGC Early Release MS69 2008-W, rev. of 07 coins yesterday for $69 ea.

Gee.......I was glad to be able to get a MS 70 from Modern Coin Mart for $199 early this past saturday. I'm sure glad I did. They sold out quick.

PCGS has not yet decided to recognize them.

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    a few more boxes of 10 arrived

0 for 30

it's OVER.

• Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Saam,I ordered 2 boxes of 5 each on 5/3 and 2 boxes of 5 each on 5/5.They where all shippied on 5/8.One of the boxes ordered on 5/3 held 5 of 5 rev 07's and the other box only held one.Both boxes ordered on 5/5 held zippo of the rev.07's. >>

Thanks Mack. I have been keeping tabs on the orders mentioned here that had '07 reverse coins found in them. So far I show 514 have been found from orders that totalled 781 coins. The earliest order with '07's found was 03/17 and the newest order was made on 05/07. Although it has slowed down, members here have reported finding 57 of the '07 reverse coins from orders made this month!
  • Options

<< <i>I purchased some on the 'Bay when John's post came out. I ordered a few from ATS with the early release on the slab. Imagine a TPG not noticing this variety & grading coins. WTF >>

I like this one!!!!

Yes I did that post image
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow Hrlaser, I can't figure if I am reading a mixture of Bukowski and Hemingway or just NOT wanting it to end.......Good Luck with the next batch. Hang in there; I am rooting for you!
    Somorada: It is fun to look back. I hope we all can in a few months and still feel we waited appropriately and dreamed enough.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    hrlaser
  • Options
    Just got 8 orders of 9 each.... 0 fer 72

but that's not the best thing.... explain this one,

One of the boxes of 9 I opened had a coin out of the box and capsule, that much is not surprising after reading some previous posts...

but the strange part is this.. All boxes had the lids on and capsules and coins intact.

The box for the coin that was loose had an unopened capsule right where it was supposed to be, coa on top of that and lid closed.

US Mint packer must have been looking at it and just tossed in box I guess..

Any other guesses???
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>hrlaser
    image >>

image and at the same time answering sumorada's question...making it my favorite!
  • Options

<< <i>Wow Hrlaser, I can't figure if I am reading a mixture of Bukowski and Hemingway or just NOT wanting it to end.......Good Luck with the next batch. Hang in there; I am rooting for you!

Miles >>

heh.. just an out-of-work writer using you as my victims.. err.. outlet for creative writing, i guess.. two weeks of squirming and anticipation for nothing.. well i had to try.. i've done dumber things with a lot more money in casinos.. at least i got *something*.. and one more shot at it when the next package arrives, but order more?.. hah.. no way in the world.. i just wanted to score a few raws.. or a couple of raws.. or even one.. i've got some 69s in slabs and they're stayin' right where they are as i watch the price curve..
    i got into this thing about a week late.. had i known what 70s were going to do, i would've bought a few last month or was it March, when they were going for peanuts.. waiting to see if i get lucky in your contest.. and thanks for running it.. and congratulations to the other guy who's gonna win it..
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Nobody you know ever made an error? I guess nobody working FOR you ever made two errors. Fire those idiots. yeah.

For the premium paid on these 1oz. hunks of bullion, yes we should expect better, MUCH better packaging than this!
    I also think that anyone receiving crap like should complain to high heaven including sending pics to CW & NN. JMO

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>a few more boxes of 10 arrived

0 for 30

it's OVER. >>

7over8 -- what were your order dates?
  • Options

I have about 100 coins coming monday in various orders, I'll post the results...........unless I hit big....image
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Still waiting for my order that was mailed May 8th. I think they were shipped by Pony Express.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Box of 8 arrived 0 reverse 07s. I am done. Ordered this on May 8.
  • Options
    rpcoletranerpcoletrane Posts: 718 ✭✭
    Apparently NGC graded at least one of these incorrectly before the error was found.....

Oops!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file