Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I have 12 coming this morning fed ex so we will see what is happeningin about 2 1/2 hours. I will let you know my results.
  • Options
    I went back through my latest orders received from the mint as I was just looking for the 07 reverse on the first pass. All (11) of my latest arrivals have the matte finish background with the shinny eagle attributes on the reverse. The raised elements on the reverse have a "glossy" kind of look to them, sharp detail and very pretty.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    47 more to go for 2,000! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>47 more to go for 2,000! image >>

I thought it was 46
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Just opened my box and found 6 out of 12 are 07 reverses. I put them on BST if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looking back over the past several days slabbed coins have represented approx. 40% of the 08/07's listed on ebay.
    If we assume that ebay auctions are a representative sampling of the total number of raw versus the total number of slabbed coins (may or may not be true) and we know that there are +/-10K slabbed total. Is it a stretch to estimate that the 10K slabbed represents 40% of the total number that were released ?

Based on this ASSUMPTION there would be approx 25K out there. >>

With 10,000 already slabbed I believe the mints estimate of 45,000-47,000 is correct. There are probably are lot of coins in process at TPG and some large hoards yet to be sold. Put me in that later group. >>

the Mint might have said they made 47,000 of them, but as i've said here before, given all the reports (unless everyone is lying, which is doubtful..) .. of folks saying they got shipments that looked like they had been opened, rifled through, and hastily re-packed and re-taped.. i seriously doubt 47,000 of them got OUT of Memphis, where the Mint stores their stuff in the huge Fedex facility.. or somewhere nearby.. i don't think they are making any more 08/07 errors on porpoise.. but i wouldn't put it past them.. what appears to be happening is that they pre-package these in shipping boxes of one, two, three, five, ten, 20, 50, up to 100 per shipping carton, put them in bins on racks, then when someone orders some quantity, they yank it off the shelf, slap a shipping label on it, and away it goes..

what happens if someone orders some oddball quantity in a single order, like 9 or 23 or 112?.. has anyone here ordered some oddball number in a single order?.. if so, how were they packed when they arrived?..

i mean i can come up with as many conspiracy theories as you've had hot meals.. but that's my take on it.. reports of receiving 08/07s are thinning out.. one lucky stiff gets 10 out of 10, the next guy gets 0 out of 50.. or 0 out of 10.. or whatever..

when the Mint starts making "this year's" coins, whatever they are, do they store them so they ship first made, last out?.. are the earliest-made ones at the BACK or bottom of the bin / shelf?..

the number of eBay listings SEEMS to be going down.. dealers are raising their prices, eBay prices are going up.. i can't prove any 08/07s went to the teevee hucksters and got colorized, but that's the general thinking of the group mind here.. i think.. how many?.. who knows..

i'm waiting on two orders of two each.. one left the "shipping partner" in KY five days ago.. the other shipped today.. i'll either get 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 08/07s.. any number of them higher than zero and i'll be happy.. if i get zero, then it's still better than putting about $110.00 straight up on a Roulette number and losing when the ball drops, because i get SOMETHING for my $110.00.. what that something will be is still an unknown..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, I just got my 20 ASE's from the mint. Ordered on 20April, shipped on the 29th via registered mail. They are in my car right now, I am still at work. I'll let ya'll know just as soon as I do about any discoveries! WISH ME LUCK, I need to pay for some baby furniture this week.

• Options
    I ordered 7 on 5/9/08....I guess that is an oddball number ..
    But no lucky 7"s
    Arrived today..
    I guess My Christmas Shopping is all done now.

Later all.
    Dare To Dream
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I placed two more orders on May 8 for 4 and 8. They should be here tommorow or Friday. I am not ordering anymore. I do have 5/5 of the 07/08s from an order I got a few weeks back. I just sent in 7 in unopened box purchased from the mint for PCGS FS on the off chance there may be some 07/08s in that order.
  • Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 477 ✭✭✭

<< <i>well, I just got my 20 ASE's from the mint. Ordered on 20April, shipped on the 29th via registered mail. They are in my car right now, I am still at work. I'll let ya'll know just as soon as I do about any discoveries! WISH ME LUCK, I need to pay for some baby furniture this week. >>

I'm still waiting on an order from April too! image
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>well, I just got my 20 ASE's from the mint. Ordered on 20April, shipped on the 29th via registered mail. They are in my car right now, I am still at work. I'll let ya'll know just as soon as I do about any discoveries! WISH ME LUCK, I need to pay for some baby furniture this week.

image >>

GOOD LUCK Jesse!!
    Mojo.....

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I have a total of 103 ASE in front of me at this moment unopened. I am eating McDonalds food which is almost as good as getting a 2008obv/2007rev. Will get to the coins after my fries and keep everyone up to date. Order was placed on May 8th - these are multiple orders that came today.

Jeff
  • Options
    I have a total of 103 ASE in front of me at this moment unopened. I am eating McDonalds food which is almost as good as getting a 2008obv/2007rev. Will get to the coins after my fries and keep everyone up to date. Order was placed on May 8th - these are multiple orders that came today..................................Don't ya just hate these kind of posts that keep you in suspense.image
  • Options
    Just got my PCGS back. 11 MS69 and only one MS70 but I am happy. I am still going to sell the others that I have on BST and e bay.
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    The last of my orders arrived by Fed Ex today...two shipments of 25 each...0/25 and 0/25 all coins 08 reverses. Coins were loose in their cases and some coins fell out of their capsules as I opened them. I agree with other posts, there may be a few more here and there trickeling out, but for the most part what is out is all there will be.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    Tuff luck there Burnie.I think the game is over at this late stage of the game.Anyone ordering now is just gonna get someone elses returns.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    0 for 8 on an order placed on 5/9 and upgraded to fedex (paid for it).

I have snail mail for a couple orders placed on the same day. No idea when those might arrive.

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>well, I just got my 20 ASE's from the mint. Ordered on 20April, shipped on the 29th via registered mail. They are in my car right now, I am still at work. I'll let ya'll know just as soon as I do about any discoveries! WISH ME LUCK, I need to pay for some baby furniture this week.

image >>

Good luck Jesse that was a good time to order.
    Judging from reports here the last week of April was a good week.
    My guess is 8-12 07 reverses. Hopefully 20

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>The last of my orders arrived by Fed Ex today...two shipments of 25 each...0/25 and 0/25 all coins 08 reverses. Coins were loose in their cases and some coins fell out of their capsules as I opened them. I agree with other posts, there may be a few more here and there trickeling out, but for the most part what is out is all there will be. >>

but i still image anyway image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options
    Well I opened up the ASEs - I actually had 110 total. All 110 were regular 2008s. The coins were obviously gone over before - maybe several times. Although the coins were neatly packaged, they fell out of the boxes when opened and one capsule looked like it was shot - completely shattered. Little pieces laying all over the place. So, I was 0/110. I still have an order waiting for me at home right now - fairly small order of 25. My McDonalds food was way better than that experience.

Here is something interesting though. It appears that whomever searched these coins prior to me has no interest in the "shiny" issue that has been talked about on this board. The first order (containing 49 coins) had about 50% of that reverse proof look to the obverse of the coin - the reverse was matte. This is the first time I have seen that permutation. There were also a couple of reverse prooflike reverse in the box and spectacular ones at that. The pinnacle of the box was a normal 2008 with reverse prooflike surfaces on each side - I will keep that one just for the beauty if not for any type of value.

One last thing, this latest group is being sent back to the mint because the quality (other than a few of the shiny ones) was inferior to a degree I have never seen in these issues including what already looks to be milk spotting along with surprisingly large gashes on the fields of almost all the coins. This group would have been sent back in bulk regardless of the 2008obv/2007rev.

Jeff
  • Options
    Just got an order of 12 delivered by Fed Ex that was placed on 05/09. All 2008 with '08 reverse. image Hope my others have some. image
  • Options
    After reading the last couple of days posts in this thread,i am standing firm on my belief that less than 30,000 of the reverses made it out to the public.
  • Options
    Today's reports does not give me warm and fuzzy feelings about my 3 small remaining orders (one on the way). I will agree that the smaller orders seem to do much better but there have been many small strikeouts also....oh well...I still cherish my 12/12 and 5/5 orders as a major coup ( I won't mention my oh'fers). I am not of the "order them, check 'em out, send them back" group. I like the coins and I did, in fact, order 08's and that's what I got. The Mint just sent me what I ordered.
  • Options

<< <i>Today's reports does not give me warm and fuzzy feelings about my 3 small remaining orders (one on the way). I will agree that the smaller orders seem to do much better but there have been many small strikeouts also....oh well...I still cherish my 12/12 and 5/5 orders as a major coup ( I won't mention my oh'fers). I am not of the "order them, check 'em out, send them back" group. I like the coins and I did, in fact, order 08's and that's what I got. The Mint just sent me what I ordered. >>

waiting again to see if the mailman brings me my "it left shipping partner in Hebron, KY on 09 May, 2008" order of two.. will report what comes out of the box, whenever he brings it.. and if neither is an 08/07, will see if i can find some railroad Tracks around here.. if they're non-error coins, i won't return them UNLESS the capsules are smashed and / or the coins are scratched up, as per many other reports here.. i'm kind of sitting on the "small orders have had better results" bench, feeding the pigeons.. other order of two was allegedly shipped but doesn't Track yet.. i'm done ordering these in hopes of 08/07s.. either these two tiny orders ring the bell or they don't..

meanwhile, i've been on the Vatican's subscription list since 2002 and the Pope just hit my bank account for the 2008 Mint and Proof sets overnight.. (order form mailed in over a month ago..) .. probably won't get that package for a month, but at least i know i can flip those for triple what they cost me.. have been doing it for years..

• Options

<< <i>meanwhile, i've been on the Vatican's subscription list since 2002 and the Pope just hit my bank account for the 2008 Mint and Proof sets overnight.. (order form mailed in over a month ago..) .. probably won't get that package for a month, but at least i know i can flip those for triple what they cost me.. have been doing it for years.. >>

What is all this Vatican Pope stuff all about? Coins from the Vatican? Where do I sign up?

Jeff

P.S. I think I am going to sell all my 2008/2007s image
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>meanwhile, i've been on the Vatican's subscription list since 2002 and the Pope just hit my bank account for the 2008 Mint and Proof sets overnight.. (order form mailed in over a month ago..) .. probably won't get that package for a month, but at least i know i can flip those for triple what they cost me.. have been doing it for years.. >>

What is all this Vatican Pope stuff all about? Coins from the Vatican? Where do I sign up?

Jeff

P.S. I think I am going to sell all my 2008/2007s image >>

you get in a time machine and go back to 2002 and get on the Vatican's Numismatic subscription list.. (i got tipped off to this by a collector in Germany on R.c.c. back then).. you can't get on it any more and haven't been able to for years.. it's not only full, it's probably over-full..

the Vatican joined Euroland in 2002 and their coins are 1% of the yearly output of the Italian Mint.. so the Vatican doesn't actually HAVE their own Mint.. but they do the design work and the packaging.. although the coins are legal tender, they don't circulate at all due to their extremely low Mintages (well.. the Proofs wouldn't circulate anyway).. and everything they issue is an instant sell-out..

up until two years ago, if one was willing to walk, crawl, train, or fly to Rome and stand in line at the Vatican's gift shop on the first day of sale, one could buy them in person at issue price.. however, due to fistfights breaking out (i swear i'm not making this up) by people cutting in line and so on.. they halted all in-person sales so now it's mail order only..
    it was like the total frenzy of people camping out overnight to buy tickets for a new Star Wars movie or a Stones concert.. seriously.. so they said enough of that..

there are two main Euro dealers in North America - the RSM in Utah, and Euro Collections Intl. which used to be in Vancouver, B.C. but recently was bought out by a New Zealand outfit and moved all sales operations to Newport Beach.. neither of those companies has any yearly Vatican sets to speak of, if they have any at all, because the Vatican doesn't sell in bulk to dealers.. just a handful.. the biggest European-based dealer i know of who carries Vatican coins is http://www.munplaats.nl (click the Union Jack at the top to view the site in English)..

the Vatican itself has NEVER had direct Web ordering.. if one is on their list, one gets mailed order forms which are personalized and barcoded with an account number.. you have to fill out, sign, and mail back the original.. they won't accept any other form of order.. and you can't take a copy of someone else's order form and blank out their account number and name and fill in yours.. i've seen some unscrupulous scum selling copies of their order forms on eBay to innocents who think they can use them to order Vatican singles and sets at issue price.. it won't work.. the Vatican will just chuck those in the Holy round file.. same thing goes for The Republic of San Marino, and Monaco.. two other tiny Euroland contries with their own coins.. ultra-low Mintages, the coins don't circulate, sales by subscription only.. subscription lists full..

• Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    There are quite a few on the 'Bay image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options

<< <i>I have a total of 103 ASE in front of me at this moment unopened. I am eating McDonalds food which is almost as good as getting a 2008obv/2007rev. Will get to the coins after my fries and keep everyone up to date. Order was placed on May 8th - these are multiple orders that came today.

Jeff >>

Mmmm... Coins and greasy french fry fingers. What a combo.

Sorry you didn't get any...image
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

Good luck Jesse that was a good time to order.
    Judging from reports here the last week of April was a good week.
    My guess is 8-12 07 reverses. Hopefully 20

Joe >>

Friend got his yesterday..ordered 04-24........12 of 20 ...2008/07s..some of the coins looked like 2nds image
  • Options
    well, here I go. After getting a little bit of a rush when I THOUGHT i could get PCGS first strike on the coins I got today. Turns out another order I had placed was shipped on one date but the invoice showed a date about 2 days earlier. I thought that my ASE's might have an invoice date of 22 April (that's what the mint girl told me it was) and they would be eliglble for FS. Well, I called PCGS and they told me that the OUTSIDE postage date is the only date they go with.

Oh well.

Oh wait, does anyone have an outside postage label dated prior to 22April image .....kidding. It would be hard to remove the 20+ registered mail date stamps they put on the package.

Ok, HERE GOES!!!!!! My first look at 2008 ASE's in ORIGINAL/SEALED US MINT boxes... This is so exciting, I could type and type about it all night..
  • Options
    OMG! FIRST ONE OUT IS 07/08. I am video taping me opening them so you all will be able to tell I am not lying!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    4 of 4 so far!!! It's all on video!
  • Options
    5 of 5
  • Options
    8 of 8
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Wow congrats so far!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice score!
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Nothing like the mailman handing you a big box of money.

• Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Buy a lottery ticket also. Congradulations my friend image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    15 of 15 08/07, all matte so far, 5 more to go
  • Options
    20 for 20 all!!! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>20 for 20 all!!! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage >>

imageimageimage
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    post the video on YouTube....I wanna see a guy opening up a xmas gift in May
    Congrats!image
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    WOW! I can't believe it. Too bad they weren't first strike eligible.. This is awesome. The best part is I got it all on video! It's 315mb but I might upload it just for kicks.

Thanks to all of you that helped me with these coins. I think I might try to trade some of these for a PCGS MS70 FS!!!
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    oh and by the way...I believe that makes you eligible for a big fat "YOU SUCK!"

Congrats again!
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    my crappy litle camera didn't quite get the details of the coins but I think you can get the point... I am watching the video right now image

Here are the details of the order:

Invoice printed 4/23/08
    time 9:16:14 AM
    signed by Deba B

Aisle PC01
    BIN 0Z8F
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    SWEEEEEET!!!!!!

You may be the last one to get any from the Mint. (I hope not)

Joe
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks again everyone, I just got SUPER lucky and scored a box of 20 that were all 08/07 reverses. I really don't mean to talk about it because I honestly know it is annoying.. It is SUPER exciting!!!!

Here are the details of my order:

Invoice printed 4/23/08 at 9:16:14 AM
    shipped 4/30/08 via registered mail
    signed by Deba B

Aisle PC01
    BIN 0Z8F

Here's the daily dump!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file