Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>1900 image >>

1,000 Shy of your # of post's & climbing

Have a good one!!!
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I was just going through my previous orders of ASEs to find some good ones (other than the already found 2008obv/2007rev) to submit for grading and came across this example. This is perhaps the best reverse (in terms of eye appeal - for me at least) that I have ever seen. It is nearly blemish free and for all the world looks like a reverse proof reverse. In hand it is stunning. I cant really photograph these that well like others, but here is an attempt at capturing the shiny nature of the eagle. What do people think of this?

Jeff

Reverse shot of one of the eagles going in for submission
    Nice!!!
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I just received my box of 10 SAE's from the Mint via snail-mail DHL.
    I ordered them on 4/30
    They shipped on 5/6.
    Each package was fresh and no evidence of tampering

Aisle PD01 Bin # 3121

#1 reverse of 07
    #2 reverse of 08
    #3 reverse of 08
    #4 reverse of 08

I got paranoid and had to check the first one again
    yup it is reverse of 07

#5 reverse of 07
    #6 reverse of 08
    #7 reverse of 07
    #8 reverse of 08
    #9 reverse of 07
    #10 reverse of 07

5 out of 10 image

I will finish my ice coffee and then I will look at them more closely.
    I placed them back in the mint boxes reverse out so I can't mix them up
    and then labeled the outside.

My first impression of them is they are perfect.

I ordered late and got lucky, I hope many more of you get lucky too.

Joe

<< <i>I was just going through my previous orders of ASEs to find some good ones (other than the already found 2008obv/2007rev) to submit for grading and came across this example. This is perhaps the best reverse (in terms of eye appeal - for me at least) that I have ever seen. It is nearly blemish free and for all the world looks like a reverse proof reverse. In hand it is stunning. I cant really photograph these that well like others, but here is an attempt at capturing the shiny nature of the eagle. What do people think of this?

Jeff

Reverse shot of one of the eagles going in for submission >>

Ooops... I quoted myself - sorry. Anyway, the reverse of this coin is particularly strange since the Eagle details are absolutely mirrorlike, but the lettering around the edge is as matte as a normal uncirculated ASE. - (see pic)
  • Just got 5 and went 0/5.......boy that sucks! Boxes were definitely tampered with. Oh well, never was good at gambling!

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    argh. Another trip to the post office to check on my registered mail package, shipped on the 29th. Still nothing... So I wait...
    I have 150 ASEs scheduled for delivery tomorrow morning - these are multiple orders placed May 8th (about 5 minutes before the back ordered message). I dont expect any more of the good ones but I would like some of those "reverse proof" reverses that I found in the last shipment!!!

Jeff
    I just ordered ( 7 ) my lucky number, on the ( 13th ) very unlucky number. We will see what happens image

Have a good one!!!
  • rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>I was just going through my previous orders of ASEs to find some good ones (other than the already found 2008obv/2007rev) to submit for grading and came across this example. This is perhaps the best reverse (in terms of eye appeal - for me at least) that I have ever seen. It is nearly blemish free and for all the world looks like a reverse proof reverse. In hand it is stunning. I cant really photograph these that well like others, but here is an attempt at capturing the shiny nature of the eagle. What do people think of this?

Jeff

Reverse shot of one of the eagles going in for submission >>

Jeff that picture is great, the only thing you may do is add more lighting towards the bottom of the picture. Very nice!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    I ordered (50) coins on 5/8/08
    recieved today. 5/13/08

0/50

<< <i>I ordered (50) coins on 5/8/08
    recieved today. 5/13/08

0/50

image >>

That SUCKS,

Have a good one!!!

• << <i>I ordered (50) coins on 5/8/08
    recieved today. 5/13/08

0/50

image >>

Any reverse proof looking ones in there?
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • I think they are gone, IMHO.

• << <i>I think they are gone, IMHO. >>

Why can't they wait til I get my order in, then let them be gone.
    I was a Monkey
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Received 2 today, ordered on 5/5. . . .

Both '08 Matte. The capsules almost fell out of the inserts and into my hand.

Either these were screened or they are recycled returns. Looks like it might be about over.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got two boxes of ten coming via snail mail. We shall see.
    What are the pop reports?
  • SaamSaam Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>argh. Another trip to the post office to check on my registered mail package, shipped on the 29th. Still nothing... So I wait... >>

I feel your pain! Only received one order out of four so far and it is headed to PCGS for First Stike. Snail mail must be the ticket for most of them. Got my fingers crossed! image
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

While we have found a few over the past few weeks, today was a disaster,

received over (1500) 2008 w ase's .........0.....zilch........nada..........no.......2007 reverse image
    I just checked the 5 I received and 2 have a good hit on the rim.
    Might have been caused when put in the capsules.
    If I return them to the Mint will they send me 2 reverse of 2007? image
    The other 3 I will send in to be graded.

Joe

• SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I ordered (50) coins on 5/8/08
    recieved today. 5/13/08

0/50

image >>

Any reverse proof looking ones in there? >>

No, they were all matte.
  • Ouch, Sumorada!

I'm right behind you though. My second order is due soon and I'm batting zero!
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.
  • coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666
    sumorada, that sucks you didn`t hit any in that amount. that animation is a riot though...image

i have my 4th and last order for 12 coming in the morning.

i`ve hit 2 out of 3 so far.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for my order that was mailed on May 8th.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Hello New to the coin forum
    Damn thats funny
    imageimage
    Dare To Dream
  • imageimage JOHNBOSCO!
    daily dump

• coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666

<< <i>imageimage JOHNBOSCO! >>

yes, welcome. enjoy
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    I thought I would post just to say that I had posted to this huge thread and to point out that no one's donated one of these to The A.N.A. yet ;-)
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.

<< <i>I'm still waiting for my order that was mailed on May 8th. >>

psbt. I am waiting on my order I placed on the 20th of April!

• << <i>What are the pop reports? >>

At PCGS, I still see:

MS69 FS - 1042
    MS70 FS - 113
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    The continuous reports of large orders coming up short in this thread make me believe this is just a person trying to pull in a bid from the uninformed. Any thoughts?
    Linky
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What are the pop reports? >>

At PCGS, I still see:

MS69 FS - 1042
    MS70 FS - 113 >>

The globally available pop reports don't get updated until Sunday evening so its unlikely that these numbers will change until then.

If the coin were in a registry then those numbers reflect what gets graded each day.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The continuous reports of large orders coming up short in this thread make me believe this is just a person trying to pull in a bid from the uninformed. Any thoughts?
    Linky >>

I'd have to agree, but you just never know!
  • IwantNonCCsIwantNonCCs Posts: 369 ✭✭

<< <i>Across the street now shows........

2008 W Rev. of 07......................ms69........ms70.......Total
    ..................................................... 968.........974.........1942

2008 W E/R Rev. of 07...............3744.........3078........6823 >>

I find this interesting. My quick analysis

It looks with having 5 raw, unchecked, I have a 50/50 chance of 69 vs 70
    So, a fresh raw should be worth half way between 69 and 70, less grading fees.
    If raws are going for $300, NGC MS69 are $320, MS70 are $560
    Looks like raw is the way to go today if buying

Similar numbers for PCGS 1 in 10 chance of getting MS70, but MS70 is worth $1000 premium??

Opinions

Where is it best to send my raws??
    (Think of this as an 8th grade math problem)
  • Sumorada, I am in jacksonville. How far away is it to your shop? Hopefully not too far, I want to check out what you have for sale.
    I was a Monkey
  • evsiteevsite Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Looking back over the past several days slabbed coins have represented approx. 40% of the 08/07's listed on ebay.
    If we assume that ebay auctions are a representative sampling of the total number of raw versus the total number of slabbed coins (may or may not be true) and we know that there are +/-10K slabbed total. Is it a stretch to estimate that the 10K slabbed represents 40% of the total number that were released ?

Based on this ASSUMPTION there would be approx 25K out there.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I mentioned this before with no response....................

How long are refunds taking???????????????????

I havent rec'd one credit yet.............
  • BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    I have waited for as long as 10 weeks in the past for a refund. I have not sent anything back in the last few months, so I don't know if refund times are any shorter now...
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the credit process from the Mint is a lenghty one from what I've heard.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • I went 5/5 on todays delivery. order placed on 6 May. 3 more orders due in this week....fingers crossed.

My Ebay Auction
    CSM Gary J Coker
    United States Army Retired
    1974-2007 WIA
  • Once they are logged in at Memphis,you have to call the mint and ask them to release the funds to go back to your cc.Took me a total of 2 weeks on a refund of $5000.00 plus.

<< <i>Once they are logged in at Memphis,you have to call the mint and ask them to release the funds to go back to your cc.Took me a total of 2 weeks on a refund of $5000.00 plus. >>

Lengthy refund process without a call.
    Make sure the REP removes the hold on it not just says they will.
    Email will arrive in a day or two confirming. if no email call again.

Joe
  • tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    << I was just going through my previous orders of ASEs to find some good ones (other than the already found 2008obv/2007rev) to submit for grading and came across this example. This is perhaps the best reverse (in terms of eye appeal - for me at least) that I have ever seen. It is nearly blemish free and for all the world looks like a reverse proof reverse. In hand it is stunning. I cant really photograph these that well like others, but here is an attempt at capturing the shiny nature of the eagle. What do people think of this?

Jeff >>

Yep, that's the ticket. Nice 08 reverse. And collectors won't pay a little premium for those?. I think they will.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Yep, that's the ticket. Nice 08 reverse. And collectors won't pay a little premium for those?. I think they will.

If the price of Ag continues to tank, the raw 08/08s may start selling at a discount from volume dealers who are now overloaded .
    I'd love to cherrypick a nice one, shiny/both sides, for around issue.

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    << If the price of Ag continues to tank, the raw 08/08s may start selling at a discount from volume dealers who are now overloaded .
    I'd love to cherrypick a nice one, shiny/both sides, for around issue. >>

No doubt. That would be fun!
  • TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Howdy...I just received an order of 3...and all are the 07 variety...why would the Mint continue to ship weeks after the discovery? Any possibility they're trying to make the variety not so uncommon?

Sorry...felt pretty blessed (fingers are still trembling), but I just can't help wondering...

ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    178 auctions
    -69 52/178 29.2%
    -70 27/178 15.2
    Other 99/178 55.6
  • 2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looking back over the past several days slabbed coins have represented approx. 40% of the 08/07's listed on ebay.
    If we assume that ebay auctions are a representative sampling of the total number of raw versus the total number of slabbed coins (may or may not be true) and we know that there are +/-10K slabbed total. Is it a stretch to estimate that the 10K slabbed represents 40% of the total number that were released ?

Based on this ASSUMPTION there would be approx 25K out there. >>

With 10,000 already slabbed I believe the mints estimate of 45,000-47,000 is correct. There are probably are lot of coins in process at TPG and some large hoards yet to be sold. Put me in that later group.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file