Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    Close to 10,000 graded and I would guess just as many ungraded according to some of the posts here coupled with an unknown quantity of "I don;t care I just by them's".
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    In my mind an error is a mechanical goof up by the machines occuring during the striking or die making process not a mistake made by mint professionals.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>Close to 10,000 graded and I would guess just as many ungraded according to some of the posts here coupled with an unknown quantity of "I don;t care I just by them's". >>

So maybe 25,000?
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Close to 10,000 graded and I would guess just as many ungraded according to some of the posts here coupled with an unknown quantity of "I don;t care I just by them's". >>

So maybe 25,000? >>

Do I hear 30K, 35K??
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

So maybe 25,000? >>

Do I hear 30K, 35K?? >>

Too many auctions?
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    There are 10,000 of these already slabbed? And they've only been identified for a month?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

<< <i>There are 10,000 of these already slabbed? And they've only been identified for a month? >>

What does that indicate to you?
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There are 10,000 of these already slabbed? And they've only been identified for a month? >>

What does that indicate to you? >>

Dollars image

Have a good one!!!
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    Seems that way to me. Who will professionally grade a low-value nominal coin? Not many.
  • Options
    There are 10,000 of these already slabbed? And they've only been identified for a month? ......................Yeah but,9,000 of those slabs belong to coinboy. image
  • Options

<< <i>There are 10,000 of these already slabbed? And they've only been identified for a month? ......................Yeah but,9,000 of those slabs belong to coinboy. image >>

Wow, would you call that rounding the market?
  • Options
    Would anyone have a first stike NON 2007 reverse for sale ?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Dollars image

Have a good one!!! >>

Pump, Pump, PUMP IT UP image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    WOW!

A fascinating study in numismatic hysteria!

Wish I had some . . .
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far 1815 made.image

R
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW!

A fascinating study in numismatic hysteria!

Wish I had some . . . >>

The Keebler elves wish they had a raise, too image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In my mind an error is a mechanical goof up by the machines occuring during the striking or die making process not a mistake made by mint professionals. >>

It's a very grey area. What do you call the dual denomination pieces that came out several years ago, assuming for the sake of argument that they were the result of an accidental mis-placement of dies (as opposed to deliberate fabrications. You can't call them varieties.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< I guess you have to ask yourself why are the 1995-W priced @ $35,000 in the price guide ( PR-70 ) $4,500 for a pr-69. with a mintage of just over 30,000. You do the math. >>

Your example of the 1995-W proof in MS70 at 35K is a faulty comparison.

Out of 1700+ 1995-W ASE Proofs PCGS has graded only one made PR70.
    Thats about 0.06% of coins graded.

In the case of the 2007/2008 the last numbers I saw showed the PCGS graded MS70s were running about 10% of coins graded.

Lastly there is a very, very well established collector base for the Proof ASEs.
    They absorb around 500,000-600,000 proof coins per year.
    For these collectors the 1995-W Proof is king.

How strong of a collectors base there will be for the W uncirculated ASEs is yet to be determined. I would argue its likely less than the collector base for the Proof coins.

I like the 08/07 coin but I doubt it will ever equal the 1995-W in interest or price. >>

image Sorry but I think you will be very surprised and underestimate the collector base of this group. Most just added the W along with the rest
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what makes the 08/07s a variety and not an error?.. i already posted PCGS' "lingo" page definitions of both words about 2039820398023981 postings ago.. not that that page is the absolute undispusted, unquestionable authority..

any of you have a Lincoln Cent album?.. a new one, an old blue Whitman.. any kind.. (doesn't everybody?).. how about a Buffalo Nickel album.. is there a hole for the 1955 DDO and a hole for the 1937-D three-legged in those albums?.. there were, by the estimates i've found, something like 20,000 1955 DDOs made.. and i'd hazard a guess that 99% of Lincoln Cent collectors don't have one and, due to its high price, never will.. if you call that coin an error, if you call the three-legged Buffalo nickel an error.. then what makes the 08/07 ASEs a variety and not an error?.. it was a mistake.. isn't it a mistake for a press operator to put the wrong Reverse die into a press?.. but i don't like to speak in absolutes and couch opinions as fact.. in MY OPINION it's an error, not a variety.. i believe it was made unintentionally, and is therefore an error coin.. and future ASE albums will have a hole for it.. i dunno.. someone get Fred Weinberg in here.. i'd like to know what he calls it..

the 1995-W ASE was not an error, and there are 30,000 of those.. they were a FREE or nominally-priced bonus to anyone who felt like coughing up a grand for the 1995 four-coin AGE set back then.. you could opt to buy the set with the ASE in it or without it..

not everyone collects entire series of coins.. some complete series are easy because there aren't any "stoppers".. depends on how deep your pockets are.. if money is no object, you can buy virtually anything..

lastly, just so no one slaps a label on my head that says "flipper scum".. i am a collector, AND an investor, AND a flipper.. and where's the rule that you can't be all three at once?... no matter how many of these 08/07s i end up with, i'll always keep ONE unless the day comes that i'm so destitute i have no choice but to sell it.. and i am NOT an ASE collector.. to me, they all look the same.. ("Heretic! Burn the witch!").. i collect mainly by type.. a little of this, a little of that.. whatever appeals to me at the moment, if i can afford it without having to eat dog food... i just think this is a very exciting coin because you don't need a loupe or a microscope to see the error as you do with many error coins.. there's a finite number of them made, which is generally accepted as 47,000.. why?.. because the Mint says so.. there is NO finite number of them that shipped.. and THAT'S the number that will ultimately determine whether this was just a flash in the pan, or if it becomes a seriously pricey coin.. i'm talkin four figures.. to many collectors, $350.00 is already seriously pricey.. to others, it's lunch money..

enough.. >>

well put, if you don't like it leave it alone and move on. More for the rest of us. Nothing is set in stone and every new coin is a gamble, time will tell the tail.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options

<< <i>

It indicates to me that there were a ton of Early Release and First Strike 2008-W coins submitted. Nothing more and nothing less.

2008-W

68 69 70 Total Graded
    1 4,716 787 5,504

2008-W 08/07
    69 70 Total Graded
    1,042 113 1,155

6,659 total graded combining both coins.

But there's still a long way to go since 2007-W FS shows this:
    66 67 68 69 70 Total Graded
    2 46 112 23,378 3,056 26,594

However, if the total is representative of folks simply not buying these because of the outrageous price at the mint then 2008 may be a bigger year then expected.

It's still way to early to tell anything other than if you want one then you need to jump in and grab one while you can or wait for a later date when the dust finally settles.

I just don;t know.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    In case anyone is interested, I received another 10 SAE's in the mail today (that I had been on back order)... all were the 08's. I don't think I will try and order anymore. That said I have managed to put a few raw's together along with a couple of ER 70's courtesy of Moderncoins. I enjoy collecting Silver Eagles as a series for the enjoyment of collecting, but I am still hopeful that these "errors" are a good long term investment.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options

<< <i>In case anyone is interested, I received another 10 SAE's in the mail today (that I had been on back order)... all were the 08's. I don't think I will try and order anymore. That said I have managed to put a few raw's together along with a couple of ER 70's courtesy of Moderncoins. I enjoy collecting Silver Eagles as a series for the enjoyment of collecting, but I am still hopeful that these "errors" are a good long term investment. >>

They are drying up.

Have a good one!!!
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    "Grandpa, are those the coins you bought way back in 2008? Can you tell me the story again?"
    "Yes, Kevin.. i paid about $26.00 each for them, this whole album full.. your Grandmother, bless her soul, really gave me Hell for spending almost a thousand on them and she wanted me to return them.. i told her sorry, Honey, but i have a feeling about these.. well, in a week or so they were selling for about $150, then $300, then $700, then $1200, then $3000.. they just kept going up and up and up and then some reporter found out there were only 10,000 of them that got into collectors' hands.
    "Wow, so that was way back in 2008. What are they worth now, Grandpa?"
    "Well, Kevin, tell ya what.. you've been doing well at College, so i'm going to give you one. Consider it an early Graduation gift. You use Holobay don't you? sell it there, and in about a week you should have enough money to buy that new Porsche i know you've been dreaming about."
    "Thanks, Grandpa, you're the best."

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>image
    "Grandpa, are those the coins you bought way back in 2008? Can you tell me the story again?"
    "Yes, Kevin.. i paid about $26.00 each for them, this whole album full.. your Grandmother, bless her soul, really gave me Hell for spending almost a thousand on them and she wanted me to return them.. i told her sorry, Honey, but i have a feeling about these.. well, in a week or so they were selling for about $150, then $300, then $700, then $1200, then $3000.. they just kept going up and up and up and then some reporter found out there were only 10,000 of them that got into collectors' hands.
    "Well, Kevin, tell ya what.. you've been doing well at College, so i'm going to give you one. Consider it an early Graduation gift. You use Holobay don't you? sell it there, and in about a week you should have enough money to buy that new Porsche i know you've been dreaming about."
    "Thanks, Grandpa, you're the best." >>

haha classic!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image
    "Thanks, Grandpa, you're the best." >>

Well, I guess we all need to hang on for the ride.
    We will see what grandma thinks of it.

• Options
    Smoking Jacket, white gloves, dog at his side, in his private library- is that Longacre? Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    (4) orders came today. All were 2008 rev 2008. I'm done.
  • Options

<< <i>4) orders came today. All were 2008 rev 2008. I'm done. >>

these are not the reports I wanted to hear.....still have 3 orders out there image
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>(4) orders came today. All were 2008 rev 2008. I'm done. >>

The question is from when?
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok Folks, here is the latest dump!

Below you will find charts for ALL hits on:

"2007 reverse 2008"
    "2007 reverse 2008 NGC"
    "2007 reverse 2008 PCGS"
    "2007 reverse 2008 NGC MS69"
    "2007 reverse 2008 PCGS MS69"
    "2007 reverse 2008 NGC MS70"
    "2007 reverse 2008 PCGS MS70"
    "2007 reverse 2008 -PCGS -NGC"

What that SHOULD give us, I know there are outliers, are the trends for all 08/07 ASE's sold, NGC graded coins (69 and 70), PCGS graded coins (69 and 70), and all raw 08/07 ASE's sold.

As I have stated before, this dump DOES NOT include auctions ending past 6:00 EST today, monday, so if there are a large number of auctions ending tonight, the #'s are going to be different. To get the most accurate trends, do not include today.

Here goes!

If not all the pics show up, right click on the blank picture and then click SHOW PICTURE.

****************************************************************************************
    ****************************************************************************************
    All to date, graded and raw

All NGC graded coins

All PCGS graded coins

All raw coins

NGC MS69

PCGS MS69

NCG MS70

PCGS MS70

• Options
    Would anyone trade a set of 2001 Buffalo dollar coins for one 08/07 reverse?
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

jessewvu

You are the man, I was just telling my wife that I thought the NGC MS70's were going up because the PCGS MS70's were not available...........your chart just showed the same IMO.
  • Options
    No I sure would not, those Buffalo's are one of a kind!
  • Options

<< <i>No I sure would not, those Buffalo's are one of a kind! >>

Yes they are. The 08/07 are also image

Have a good one!!!
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Lastly there is a very, very well established collector base for the Proof ASEs. They absorb around 500,000-600,000 proof coins per year.
    For these collectors the 1995-W Proof is king.

I wonder how many folks buy the Proofs like I do. Since '02 I've bought 1 each year. Don't intend to complete the set, just buy them because they're there and because I'm a widgeholic! image

BTW, if I had the money to buy a 95-W, I believe I'd put that money in a classic widget, a super toned CC Morgan!

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    Had another order in for 25 that where in stock and reserved,but i cancelled them a couple of days ago.I believe the well has run dry which is about time.I believe less than 25,000 got out.The packages i did recieve,looked all gone thru and the coins where either out of the box or even out of the capsules.Reading all the post,i am not alone with packages that looked like they been rummaged in.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image

How many folks here have this Norman Rockwell classic The Collector hanging in their coin (or Man) room?
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>Had another order in for 25 that where in stock and reserved,but i cancelled them a couple of days ago.I >>

This is why I think that the 08/08's will be a reasonably low mintage despite the onslaught of this last month. Orders will stop UNLESS the price of bullion rises near issue price. Plenty of returns, multiple large orders that will show on the secondary market at near issue price.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Would anyone trade a set of 2001 Buffalo dollar coins for one 08/07 reverse?>>

You want to trade the 01D and 01P Buffalo, with all the OGP, for a 08/07 reverse?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

How many folks here have this Norman Rockwell classic The Collector hanging in their coin (or Man) room? >>

heh.. my whole apartment is the "man" room(s).. i just checked allposters.com, amazon.com, the official Norman Rockwell Museum and half a dozen other obvious and not-so-obvious places.. no one stocks it as a poster-sized art print.. all i have is that crummy little .jpeg.. whoops.. i did find it here:

Linky

rats.. forty bucks image .. i'll survive with the .jpeg..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In case anyone is interested, I received another 10 SAE's in the mail today (that I had been on back order)... all were the 08's. I don't think I will try and order anymore. That said I have managed to put a few raw's together along with a couple of ER 70's courtesy of Moderncoins. I enjoy collecting Silver Eagles as a series for the enjoyment of collecting, but I am still hopeful that these "errors" are a good long term investment. >>

They are drying up.

Have a good one!!! >>

0 for 8 today...that's all folksimage
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I got my order of 10 shipped April 26th, arrived today Registered Mail.
    Here goes... first one out of the box is...A WINNER!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    only about 25 coins on the bay tonight for the 2008/07s
  • Options
    I'm still wating on my registered mail package shipped on the 29th. I'd be happy getting a winner.
  • Options
    Second one...also a reverse of 2007 with a very easy pop out of the box with the label on the end and shiny surface!
    Next one, third one, same thing with nice surfaces, nice relief, easy to see the details.

Miles
  • Options

<< <i>Second one...also a reverse of 2007 with a very easy pop out of the box with the label on the end and shiny surface!
    Next one, third one, same thing with nice surfaces, nice relief, easy to see the details.

Miles >>

So how many did you order Miles?

My last order of 4 was nada for nada.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Up through number 6 of 10...all reverse of 2007's!
    One more, and I do a giveaway for one!
    I would not have had this oppurtunity without the Forum's guidance.

Miles
  • Options

<< <i>........ and I do a giveaway for one! >>

count me in! Thanks for the chance image
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Up through number 6 of 10...all reverse of 2007's!
    One more, and I do a giveaway for one!
    I would not have had this oppurtunity without the Forum's guidance.

Miles >>

Count me in! First entrant wins, right?image
  • Options
    Count me in, Miles.

I'm still waiting on my first one from the Mint. Order due soon?
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file