Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>sealed in the past from the mint, OR postmarked by the last date of FS eligibility. >>

<< <i>Here's how PCGS identifies the coins submitted for First Strike® designation.
    Beginning in 2005, PCGS began designating coins packaged and delivered by the U.S. Mint in the 30 day period following the initial sales date of a new product as First Strike®. For instance, new American Silver Eagles typically go on sale each January 1st, thus any coin packaged or delivered and submitted to PCGS for certification between January 1 and January 31 qualifies for the First Strike® designation. >>

www.pcgs.com/firststrike/

Perhaps there is another area on Collectors Universe that describes sealed, post-marked packages from the Mint or otherwise that clarifies the above PCGS FS guideline.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is that a wow because you think it is high or a wow because you think it is low?
  • Options
    image I give up.
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image I give up. >>

I bought a 3 Dollar Gold Princess and an 1832 Bust half this past week.
    I say : NEVER GIVE UP. Always give in !
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Jessewvu, that is some nifty tracking you have there. Thanks for the info. image
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    New record for a raw 07/08??
    $50 over multiple other identical ;istings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330234802643&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014
  • Options
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.
  • Options
    Another just closed at $344.
    Looks like they may be making a move to the $325-$350 range.
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    In reviewing recent sales, I noticed that it may be a few buyers who are pushing up the prices. These buyers may really believe that these coins are really going to explode to the upside.

In a market with high demand, it doesn't seem to take much to drive the prices higher and have sellers reprice their coins higher.
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666

<< <i>Another just closed at $344.
    Looks like they may be making a move to the $325-$350 range. >>

this one just ended at $365

makes me wish i didn`t sell most of mine so quickly image

edited to add the $365 was for a raw coin
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like they may be making a move to the $325-$350 range. >>

So the 4 I have ending on Friday have some hope?? Right now they are at $4.50 (and 2 have the "shiny" reverse) image
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I wonder if the buyers know that there are Buy It Not offers which are less than the prices that they are bidding.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

jessewvu,

Very much appreciated, I kinda look forward to the "Daily Dump Report" as you know this "Daily Dump Thing" could really catch on.........in the future when the next hot item comes along, we are gonna be looking for ya to keep us up on the stats, thanks again, we all owe ya a cold one......image
  • Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

I thought about sending the following note privately, but since JSF continues to attack me here, I will share this with any who care to know my response to his accusations:

How stupid must you be?

The coins I purchased and had shipped to me were the reverse variety, I bought them as such. They were sealed before the FS deadline. Deal with it please.

Duh.

The coins that I personally received from the mint, I absolutely opened up each one and verified which reverse it had--I mean you do have to check for the variety.

Duh.

Later i checked to see if they were shiny. Thats also not too hard, you take the coin out and look for shiny or matte. Then you put the coin back.

Duh

Do you know the difference between screening coins and checking coins?

Checking makes sure you have what you are saying you have. Like a different U on the back of a coin. if this was all a person had to do to grade a coin, then I would have to say I screened them. I highly doubt thats all it takes to grade a coin.

Screening is picking out better coins from worse coins. Checking for specks, scratches, dings, anything that would affect grade. Then you sell the not so good coins, and keep the best coins. Thats screening. I have not done this, and choose not to do this. Buy a raw from someone who has stated that they screen, stay away from me.

Unless you know what you are talking about in the future, shut up, evey time I see your postings, I am reminded that you are a moron who has no idea what he is talking about.

Oh yeah--all of my auctions include a return policy, dont all con men and scammers do that? I almost, almost, feel bad to be talking this way, I feel you must be somehow challenged mentally, and I am may be inadvertantly attacking a child. If you are under 18, or on medication, or have issues that prevent cohesive thought, I apologise.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the mint supply is drying up.... the mintage for the 2008/07 eagle will be under 20,000.....and unless more large numbers appear in the next 2 weeks the actual mintage total may be under 15,000.
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Looks like the mint supply is drying up.... the mintage for the 2008/07 eagle will be under 20,000.....and unless more large numbers appear in the next 2 weeks the actual mintage total may be under 15,000.
    image >>

I've been holding off to ask this...but, How will the "actual Mintage total" ever be known? It would have to be an estimate and a wide one at that since Mint didn't actually keep totals on these. Also, folks do understand that "the bay" is not the only outlet for counting these coins. However, I find "the daily dump" incredibly interesting and informative.

So I am curious how we will know the "actual mintage"?
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Changed the thread title for HALFHUNTER. image It's the best "I" can do John image

And "WE" Thank you very much!!

Have a good one!!!
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    this is is getting scarier and scarier....

• Options
    Nice one Mach19 --credit to where credit is deserved. I can say that without this information, my summer would have been bland. So a big thanks to Halfhunter.

I am sorry for the tone of the thread, I just feel like Im in a nice place, sitting at the bar, minding my business, and some drunk keeps trying to pick a fight. The emotions run from trying to ignore it, to simply addressing it, to feeling the need to defend oneself, then to feeling like, maybe there is something wrong with the guy, dropped on his head as a baby or hit by a brick or something, and he needs my pity instead of my anger.
  • Options
    To HalfHunter!!! Cheers!!!!imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>Changed the thread title for HALFHUNTER. image It's the best "I" can do John image

Have a good one!!! >>

Nice Mach19! Congrats again halfhunter.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>jessewvu,

Very much appreciated, I kinda look forward to the "Daily Dump Report" as you know this "Daily Dump Thing" could really catch on.........in the future when the next hot item comes along, we are gonna be looking for ya to keep us up on the stats, thanks again, we all owe ya a cold one......image >>

Please do. I get so much help from forum members about a wide range of topics, I am just excited to be helpfull myself (assuming I am). I mean, shoot. How many message boards are there where you can post a semi serious/complicated question and get a good answer from more than one person in less than 10 minutes?

If anyone wants me to get them some specific info on anything on eBay, just drop me a PM and i'll do my best to get it back to you lick-ity split.
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>Changed the thread title for HALFHUNTER. image It's the best "I" can do John image

Have a good one!!! >>

how about changing it to "Thanks".. at least we can try to use propir grammur and spellung around heer..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    Outstanding my friend. image

Have a good one!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

Have a good one!!! >>

how about changing it to "Thanks".. at least we can try to use propir grammur and spellung around heer..

image >>

Only if you can say LOBSTAHHHH image
  • Options
    Thank's fo'r changin'g i't..

"Delegates from the original 13 states formed the Contented
    Congress. Thomas Jefferson, a Virgin, and Benjamin Franklin were two
    singers of the Declaration of Independence. Franklin discovered electricity
    by Rubbing two cats backward and also declared, "A horse divided against
    itself cannot stand." He was a naturalist for sure. Franklin died in 1790
    and is still dead."..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I decided to start selling some. I suppose having 95 of them is probably too much for one person image Besides the wife wants a new Ipod.
  • Options
    Mach19, there are others that should be stepping up to REALLY give credit for this one, where its due, and I dont think I have to say WHO should give halfhunter the nod. There doesnt seem to be a problem with others getting the designation for 'Discovery Piece', so it just plain baffles me (if I am wrong, I would hope that I am corrected). Classy thing to change the title!!
  • Options

<< <i>I decided to start selling some. I suppose having 95 of them is probably too much for one person image Besides the wife wants a new Ipod. >>

you could always have a contest here and give 90 of them away if you feel so guilty about it

wait.. let me guess..

i want that new 451hp Mercedes c-class.. i think i'll wait a little longer before i start selling mine..

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Jessewvu, that is some nifty tracking you have there. Thanks for the info.

I've come to look foward to it daily. Thanks

Changed the thread title for HALFHUNTER. It's the best "I" can do John

Thanks David (mach19), and the other folks here.

I'm embarrassed! imageimageimageimageimage

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>Mach19, there are others that should be stepping up to REALLY give credit for this one, where its due, and I dont think I have to say WHO should give halfhunter the nod. There doesnt seem to be a problem with others getting the designation for 'Discovery Piece', so it just plain baffles me (if I am wrong, I would hope that I am corrected). Classy thing to change the title!! >>

Hey, Anything to help. People should be stepping up to the plate!!! This is just my " LITTLE " way of saying Thanks. image
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

I like the title change.its well deserved....this has been a great thread, and now a better thread, IMO

halfhunter
    Don't be embarrassed, you were on your toes on this and unselfishly shared it with all of us,
    it was not only the cool discovery you made, it was also the way you handled it....................... image thank you,
  • Options
    Did John receive the " YOU SUCK AWARD ". Man, they are hard to come by image
  • Options

<< <i>Did John receive the " YOU SUCK AWARD ". Man, they are hard to come by image >>

No he get the Brand new YOU ROCK!!! Award.

Eric gets the YOU ROCK Award as well for turning the boards onto the 06 Plats.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    i want that new 451hp Mercedes c-class.. i think i'll wait a little longer before i start selling mine.. >>

Dang if these go to $1K you may be able to get one of those.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

I've been holding off to ask this...but, How will the "actual Mintage total" ever be known? It would have to be an estimate and a wide one at that since Mint didn't actually keep totals on these. Also, folks do understand that "the bay" is not the only outlet for counting these coins. However, I find "the daily dump" incredibly interesting and informative.

So I am curious how we will know the "actual mintage"? >>

One way to is check the time the error was discovered , then go backwards checking hourly production numbers ..wonder what happens to the Mint employess who allowed this error to continue so long ?
  • Options

<< <i>wonder what happens to the Mint employess who allowed this error to continue so long ? >>

Promoted????
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

So I am curious how we will know the "actual mintage"? >>

One way to is check the time the error was discovered , then go backwards checking hourly production numbers ..wonder what happens to the Mint employess who allowed this error to continue so long ? >>

image Free image from forum members image
  • Options
    One way to is check the time the error was discovered , then go backwards checking hourly production numbers ..wonder what happens to the Mint employess who allowed this error to continue so long ? >>

They get a bonus!
  • Options
    Wish me well.........I have two darkside MS70s ER closing on Ebay in 2 hours with 80 watchers!

I figure with NGC grading 1/2 of the coins submitted as MS70 they won't be too rare.

Bought from Gainsville 2 weeks ago for $325.
    Will use profit to soften blow of buying same coin in PCGS.

Not a spam but may be an interesting price to watch as raw coins have moved up $50-75 in last 24-48 hrs.
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    There will always be a wide scattering of the 2008/07 ASE W Eagles that will either never be discovered in collector's hands or will be discovered years later when the counting has long since stopped. I like this variety coin just I like the WI Extra Leaf quarters which IMHO will be a lower mintage than the 2008/07 Silver Eagle. You can hardly sell a WI quarter on the bay today. Things will settle down in the market place over time and there will be another "Mint Error" on the horizon !! Don't think though that I dislike the ASE coin. I like the interest and excitement !! Mark.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    My 1 day test auction for a shiny version of the 2008/reverse 2007 started tonight. lets see what the collectors think about the shiny versions.

lets see I started it at .99 cents.

I still have a return policy

I have close up pictures.

I did not screen the coin, but i did check the coin for shine--because , well, that was the point. It was chosen out of about 10 coins, with this one displaying enough shine on both sides, althought the reverse is not as hammered shiny as the obverse.

The winner of the auction will actually receive the coin pictured.

That should keep any prior "challenged " persons off my back. Hopefully. Unless they are drinking again.
  • Options
    I have only found a couple out of my many orders. How many is there it looks like extremely low amount of these. Correct me if Im wrong.
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have only found a couple out of my many orders. How many is there it looks like extremely low amount of these. Correct me if Im wrong. >>

I asked earlier and I will ask again....How will we ever know how many are actually minted?

This coin is destined to be "the one" collectors will need to have the complete collection (along with the '95 W).
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    The mint said 3 shifts. They also mentioned 47,000. That just may be the amount minted. We may never know the amount released. We do have some great resources to check, like NGC, PCGS and Ebay. They give us some numbers, although, Ebay numbers will include the NGC and PCGS coins as well. Some people that had subscriptions filled early, did not receive the 2008/07s, I was one of them. It seems that the variety coins came out a few weeks after the shipments began. Some collectors also get their coins and they go right into the safe or the closet, they may never know they got a variety.

Next you have to ask if people prefer graded versus raw coins for their collections. Are 10,000 graded coins enough to satisfy the graded collectors, and then what about the folks who just keep them raw--how many are those, and are they willing to pay extra for the benefit of having a variety in their set.

These coins have a lot more potential as they dry up on Ebay.
  • Options
    i think this will be just like the first spouse... people got crazy when it came out...then ebay got flodded and dove the price down,..
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad I got a PCGS FS MS69 for $279.99 when I did, though it grigged me awfully to pay that!

To anyone who got one in the raw, you suck. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Kaelasdad,You need to calm down and give it rest.Geesh

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file