Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok guys, opinions on this listing, I think it's too much info? JMHO link >>

Personally, I think they're all the same. Some are just shinier than others.

Cheers! image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    That's Kaelasdad
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    casman, yeah, that guy was warned about that earlier today by someone; that seller is on this board;

did you see his other auctions about "unsearched" items/ASEs for sale? I don't know how many times people will try to straighten out this seller's thinking. Those auctions have been confused like that for several weekends that I'm aware of.

edit2: I was talking about someone warning/advising against directing too many ebay lunatics over here. What are you crooks talking about? See, you take the guilty stance before you even realize what I'm really talking about.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's one convulted listing there!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    Well, Im a convoluted type of guy, and I personally prefer to have more information than to hide it or mislead others. Folks who know me know I dont search my coins. Its not my nature. I like to do research, I like to find answers, but frankly, once I have the answers, I move on. I wanted 2008/07s, I found them, I tried to see if i could get them properly attributed within certain rules, and now I figure go ahead and sell them, unsearched as to quality, but examined as to variety, and yes, some are shiny, and I think they are different. Believe it or not, its your choice.

Ive bought and sold from probably 50 members on these boards. No complaints that I know of.

The way I figure the information on these--its out there, its been published, and people who really want to learn should drop by here. Look, Read, Learn. And maybe, they even become members and they share what their knowledge and skills are.

To me information is meant to be shared. Maybe not all at once, maybe not immediately, but when the cat is out of the bag, and this cats out of the bag, well, I share.

Saying "that guy was warned" is really a poor choice of words. Do we warn people here? I was warned to not be so forthcoming? Whats up with that? Of almost everything i have ever read on these boards, that statement is one of the most troubling.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Ok guys, opinions on this listing, I think it's too much info?"

It is tough to argue that too much information is not good - isn't it? After all, it is always up to the prospective buyer to determine which infomation is important and which is not all that important. I always appreciate as much information as someone desires to give me with respect to a coin. It surely can not hurt when it is accurate.

I do have one observation though - do you guys remember 2001 MS Buffalo $1's - they come both "satiny" and "matte" - night and day surface varieties between the two coins. Yet, the coins never materialized into 2 different varieties (with any premium for one vs. the other) - frankly, no one ended up caring about it. And, we are talking about one very "hot" modern coin with the MS Buffalo $1 - possibly the hottest modern commem the Mint ever produced.

Is there is a major difference here between the 2008 Silver Eagle surface varieties vs. the 01 Buffalo Dollars? Have we confirmed now that certain lettering around the reverse rim is different when one or the other surface variety is present (I have not been following the thread all that closely), or, in some or all of the cases is it a simple matter of "satiny" vs. "matte" without the presence of lettering varieties as well (like the 01 Buffalo $1)?

Thoughts?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    evsiteevsite Posts: 141 ✭✭

<< <i>I grabbed some 2007 W's and there they were....shiny and matte side by side....not unique to 2008 W's >>

The shiny v: matte is not unique to 2008..........
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I grabbed some 2007 W's and there they were....shiny and matte side by side....not unique to 2008 W's >>

The shiny v: matte is not unique to 2008.......... >>

Yep, it's a dead issue. No one will care.

• Options
    Hmmm.....all I hear now are crickets.
  • Options
    Crickets and a dog barking in the distance...
  • Options
    167 auctions
    -69 40/167 23.9%
    -70 26/167 15.6
    Other 101/167 60.5
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    << I do have one observation though - do you guys remember 2001 MS Buffalo $1's - they come both "satiny" and "matte" - night and day surface varieties between the two coins. Yet, the coins never materialized into 2 different varieties (with any premium for one vs. the other) - frankly, no one ended up caring about it. And, we are talking about one very "hot" modern coin with the MS Buffalo $1 - possibly the hottest modern commem the Mint ever produced.

Is there is a major difference here between the 2008 Silver Eagle surface varieties vs. the 01 Buffalo Dollars? Have we confirmed now that certain lettering around the reverse rim is different when one or the other surface variety is present (I have not been following the thread all that closely), or, in some or all of the cases is it a simple matter of "satiny" vs. "matte" without the presence of lettering varieties as well (like the 01 Buffalo $1)?

Thoughts? >>

Well, I'm just going by the photos so far -- don't have any 08's of my own yet. And I'm not even addressing the issue of lettering varieties.

But I think there will be more interest in this '08 reverse-proof-like-finish, compared to the standard matte, and that this is qualitatively better than the '01 Buffalo silver's satiny vs matte.

Now that we've all seen the beauty of a real reverse proof in the 20th Anniversary issue, some of us will prefer similar versions in this year's issue. No doubt, some will even be willing to pay a small premium. Personally, I wouldn't pay much over a few dollars more at this point.

And to those who have examples of extra-shiny in previous issues, I'm interested! What's your selling point? I'll pay a $5 premium on the going rate for the standard mattes!
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    I think I agree with where wondercoin is going with his last post.

The rev '07 ASE has drawn so much attention that every coin collector of silver eagles and then some is scrutinizing them
    and as a result these other variations are being found. I don't think any of it will matter.

The variety that matters has already been found.

Don't expect NGC or PCGS to recognize any of these newly discovered variations. I do think the lower tier services will,
    simply as an opportunity to generate some revenue.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    The variety that matters has already been found. Don't expect NGC or PCGS to recognize any of these newly discovered variations. I do think the lower tier services will,

*Bingo*

• Options
    It appears that the shiney effect on the 2008 w are also on the non w bullion issues. I was looking at 2008 silver eagle rolls on ebay and came across this listing.
    2008 silver eagle non w

This picture of the reverse looks alot like mine that are shiney on the reverse. As much as I would like my 08/08s to be worth more than I paid. IMO I do not see them being unique anymore.
    Todd
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

That pic of the reverse is a "2007" type reverse......on a non "W".........image
  • Options
    Q]That pic of the reverse is a "2007" type reverse......on a non "W"......... >>

I did not notice that but you are right.
    Todd
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    1201reset1201reset Posts: 185 ✭✭

That pic of the reverse is a "2007" type reverse......on a non "W".........

That's because it's a 2007 ASE, look at the date on the coin below in the roll.

• Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

I just saw this in another of his auctions..............he used the same pic as his 2007 auction.........WHEW!.that had me a little excited for a minute or so...false alarm.

• Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>I just saw this in another of his auctions..............he used the same pic as his 2007 auction.........WHEW!.that had me a little excited for a minute or so...false alarm.

320247986755 >>

There is a lot of that going on Eric, Be careful image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    So that shiney effect was also on the 2007's
    Todd
  • Options
    I contacted both those sellers--they should know better than to post those photos. They are using old stock photos with their 2008 obverses--The silverstate guy is using pictures of reverese from 1998. Also, the shiny coins arent really shiny, but they are reflective in the photos.

As for is there going to be any difference in desire for these?

Im going to test the market tonight with a 1 day auction starting at .99 with a nice 2 sided shiney version of the 2008 Reverse of 2007. Im curious to see what the collectors have to say about the issue.

Any warnings from anyone?
  • Options
    DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭
    Kaelasdad,
    I'd like to watch the auction... send me the number?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It appears that the shiney effect on the 2008 w are also on the non w bullion issues. I was looking at 2008 silver eagle rolls on ebay and came across this listing.
    2008 silver eagle non w

This picture of the reverse looks alot like mine that are shiney on the reverse. As much as I would like my 08/08s to be worth more than I paid. IMO I do not see them being unique anymore. >>

The man has a lot of BS predictions about the imminent demise of the silver eagle program. As to his coins, I don't see anything out of the normal range of ordinary.
    MOO
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>What is that avatar anyway, an over-stuffed beaver waiting for winter? >>

it's this guy.. he's rather famous.. Keith Olbermann uses him on his MSNBC "Countdown" show all the time..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What is that avatar anyway, an over-stuffed beaver waiting for winter? >>

it's this guy.. he's rather famous.. Keith Olbermann uses him on his MSNBC "Countdown" show all the time..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw

image >>

linkerificationified
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its neither a beaver nor a chipmonk [he couldn't even spell it right] but more likely a prairie dog or a woodchuck aka groundhog.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    << Any warnings from anyone? >>

hahaha image

At least now no one can say that we weren't forewarned to warn you -- geesh, huh!
  • Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 477 ✭✭✭
    I went through most of this thread to see how many '07 reverse coins have been found in mint orders compared to the '08 reverse. Out of the 55 orders mentioned in this thread there were a total of 445 '07 reverse coins found from 677 coins ordered between 3-17-08 & 5-3-08, which is 66% of the coins in the order. There did not seem to be a pattern as to which orders the '07's were found in since they have been found in orders placed on most days since the coin was issued except for the the last week of March and the first week of April. It does however look like I will be ordering more of these from the mint since the '07 reverse coins are still being found in orders that were made this month! image
  • Options
    << What is that avatar anyway, an over-stuffed beaver waiting for winter? >>

It's me in a fur coat after last years Thanksgiving dinner. Urp.

Whatever it is I totally swiped it from the uploaded photos, but I'm thinking of changing it. Maybe the name too...
  • Options

<< <i> went through most of this thread to see how many '07 reverse coins have been found in mint orders compared to the '08 reverse. Out of the 55 orders mentioned in this thread there were a total of 445 '07 reverse coins found from 677 coins ordered between 3-17-08 & 5-3-08, which is 66% of the coins in the order. >>

Count just for coins rec'd on May 8th was 50/830 which is around 8% .....I would call that a decrease
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    I do not know if this has been stated just yet but all three of those sellers should be whipped for running their scam auctions! I don;t believe for one second that this was "unintentional"!

Unless of course, a 2008 with the reverse of 2007 coin actually exists.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    "edit2: I was talking about someone warning/advising against directing too many ebay lunatics over here. What are you crooks talking about? See, you take the guilty stance before you even realize what I'm really talking about."

It looks like Lee L. has taken note of how crooked a boardmember's auctions are getting. I've been trying to point that out for two weeks. It's a board member who tried to pre-sell bullion error ASEs on our bst, the same guy I tried to warn about his ill-thought-out plan to submit ASEs sealed in foodwrap and pass them off as unsearched, unopened, and acceptable for FS to PCGS. ...and he's still trying to run new "unsearched" auctions. Give me a break! I was hoping to help straighten out the guy's thinking weeks ago, but now it's plain to see he is intent on running crooked, scam auctions.

Somebody better get a LOT smarter before they go and try to start twisting words and meanings, hoping to snag somebody on a con like I'm seeing.

• Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 477 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Count just for coins rec'd on May 8th was 50/830 which is around 8% .....I would call that a decrease. >>

You really can't go by the date the coins were received since most of them delivered so far this month were ordered in April. From the orders made so far this month that are listed in this thread and have already been delivered, 23 out of 53 coins were found with the '07 reverse, which is 43%. I should also mention all orders were not included in my figures, only those that contained some of the '07 reverses. Even so, it still sounds better than the lottery to me.
  • Options
    I am going a different route, I mailed a order in ? All the ones with the credit card were 08/08 image We shall see

Have a good one!!!

image Did I say I am pulling four "T" bones off the grill image Mom image
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>I would say there is a little BS going on also...We have been fooled before with the

<< <i>look what I got from the bank today >>

Threads..

I say those threads are worthless without pics....

I'm not saying their not telling the truth. But I would like to see pics of a shipping box with 10 for 10
    enclosed....That just shipped within the last week >>

You got it. I'll take a pic later tonight with my 8/8 on friday and upload it.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would say there is a little BS going on also...We have been fooled before with the

<< <i>look what I got from the bank today >>

Threads..

I say those threads are worthless without pics....

I'm not saying their not telling the truth. But I would like to see pics of a shipping box with 10 for 10
    enclosed....That just shipped within the last week >>

You got it. I'll take a pic later tonight with my 8/8 on friday and upload it. >>

HOLD THE PHONE; ONLY take a picture of SIX, Send me the other TWO image MAN image
  • Options
    My 5 coind arrived 5/10 which I ordered 5/3. Zero 08/07's out of five. By the way, the packaging was horrible. 2 of the coins were out of the boxes and you could see the box was opened and re-sealed. I only have 1 08/07 and that's not going to get me braces
    “Twenty years from now you’ll regret more the things you didn’t do than those you did.” Mark Twain
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It appears that the shiney effect on the 2008 w are also on the non w bullion issues. I was looking at 2008 silver eagle rolls on ebay and came across this listing.
    2008 silver eagle non w

This picture of the reverse looks alot like mine that are shiney on the reverse. As much as I would like my 08/08s to be worth more than I paid. IMO I do not see them being unique anymore. >>

Is this seller a board member? If so, that is doubly bad as that is a total scam auction. Talking about potential 08/07rev coins and showing an actual 07 mixed into the photos like it was found in a roll from the monster box. More hype in that auction than at a WWE match

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

Stated by other members:

edit2: I was talking about someone warning/advising against directing too many ebay lunatics over here. What are you crooks talking about? See, you take the guilty stance before you even realize what I'm really talking about."

It looks like Lee L. has taken note of how crooked a boardmember's auctions are getting. I've been trying to point that out for two weeks. It's a board member who tried to pre-sell bullion error ASEs on our bst, the same guy I tried to warn about his ill-thought-out plan to submit ASEs sealed in foodwrap and pass them off as unsearched, unopened, and acceptable for FS to PCGS. ...and he's still trying to run new "unsearched" auctions. Give me a break! I was hoping to help straighten out the guy's thinking weeks ago, but now it's plain to see he is intent on running crooked, scam auctions.

Somebody better get a LOT smarter before they go and try to start twisting words and meanings, hoping to snag somebody on a con like I'm seeing.

Yes, I purchased about $5,000 worth of bullion coins based on the sellers pictures and descriptions--matching the 2008/Reverse of 2007. I also stated with no room for misinterpretation, that the coins were not in hand, and that if anything went south, or the buyer got cold feet waiting, there was an immediate refund, no questions asked.

What a con i must be.

The coins came in, the seller had used old photos and immediately everyone was refunded, and explanations were given as to why.

The item where I had coins in hand, that had been sealed and shipped before the PCGS cut-off date, were also legit. PCGS themselves had to check through all their channels to see if the coins qualified. There are still those at PCGS that feel they do. I have not yet opened those. By the way, thats what we call bubble wrap. i use it to ship with--its not foodwrap.

And, just because you cannot fathom someone not searching their coins, dont pass your apprehensions off as a con by me. I simply dont like searching coins. If a want a coin graded, i send it to PCGS, If I dont, I sell it raw. Period. Im just 1 guy who does this for some extra cash, and I dont search my coins. How thick is your skull?

Dont call me a con, a scammer or anything without proof, otherwise, it just looks like you are full of it.

I have been here a long time, done many deals, and never had any complaints--and some members have sent coins in they have purchased from me and told me they received 70s back.

You are a waste of time, but please try to learn something, if anything--like shut up until you actually know what youre talking about.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must side with Russ (Kaelasdad). I've done enough business with him to know that if he has to come out here to defend himself, than someone is mis-informed or jealous, but I won't be drug into it any further than to state who I know and vouch for his character.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    is all of this about a guy selling bullion with a picture of an 07 reverse???

guys i really don't see the issue other than one photo...the price so far is in line with bullion ASE rolls

• Options

<< <i>I must side with Russ (Kaelasdad). I've done enough business with him to know that if he has to come out here to defend himself, than someone is mis-informed or jealous, but I won't be drug into it any further than to state who I know and vouch for his character. >>

Ditto, Enough Said. Bury the hatchet & move on. $hit Happens.
  • Options
    scams

ebay link 1

ebay link 2

please, the government packaging MUST BE OPENED and EACH AND EVERY BLUE BOX SEARCHED and COIN PRYED OUT to even determine if these are reverse of 07. Don't try and sell them to me as being unopened and unsearched.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>scams

ebay link 1

ebay link 2 >>

imageimage
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am confused. How does personally "packaging and sealing" these Eagles make them "FS Eligible"?
    My understanding is that they have to be sealed, in the past, from the MINT only?

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sealed in the past from the mint, OR postmarked by the last date of FS eligibility.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1700 image

dailey dump. Today I just have listed what should be ONLY raw coins because the # of items sold was lucky 777. However, there are about 35 regular auctions ending today on the bay.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file