Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    the "1" looks different also.are these taken in the exact same spot with exact some light?
    figglehorn
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    146 auctions
    -69 39/146 26.7%
    -70 25/146 17.1
    Other 82/146 56.2
  • Options
    Those coins above are both 08/08's arn't they??? I thought the shiny vs. matte was for the 08/07's image
  • Options
    that's a roger there, Boucharda
  • Options
    The finish on these "shiny"-types reminds me of the finish on many of the ASEs that came out in the 80's.

edit: ha! bajjerman deleted his post!
  • Options
    I think if I take some special polish to the matte ones I can get them REALY shiny image
  • Options
    The tilde looks different in the two pictures. One is long and skinny. One is short and fat.
    Todd
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Placed 3 orders on 4-30-08
    Received 2 orders on 5-08-08
    1st order 10 coins 0/10 all 2008 Reverse image
    2nd order 12 coins 12/12 all 07 Reverse image
    3rd order somehow got shipped slow boat registered mail not received yet image
  • Options
    different tilde = known difference
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    Oh man, so are we saying now...
    T1- 08/08 Burnished
    T2- 08/07 Burnished
    T3- 08/08 Shiny
    T4- 08/07 Shiny
    T5- 08 Shiny Obv/07 Matte Rev
    T6- 08 Matte Obv/07 Shiny Rev

Ahhhhh!

if this is true, how much will these 'varieties' matter to collectors? I'm guessing quite a bit.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>different tilde = known difference >>

Yes, but this should be true only when comparing 07 reverses with 08 reverses. ALL the 08's should be the same reverse.
    Clakamas's photos IMO clearly show some different font styles between the two otherwise "08" coins.

Now, I pose the question, his "reverse proof" is the one that differs in terms of lettering from the norm.
    If these coins were struck multiple times as some have wondered, could this cause the distortion of some of the regular lettering?

What's insane is that the new digital engraving process for dies is supposed to create IDENTICAL dies. Hmmm. This could be a die
    meant for trial runs only folks. image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    different tilde = known difference

I knew one of the differences between the 08/07 and the 08/08 they had different tildes. Haven't seen anyone say that there were 2 different tildes on the 08/08.
    Todd
  • Options
    yeah, I figured somebody wasn't saying what they meant the first time
  • Options
    "Oh man, so are we saying now...
    T1- 08/08 Burnished
    T2- 08/07 Burnished
    T3- 08/08 Shiny
    T4- 08/07 Shiny
    T6- 08 Matte Obv/07 Shiny Rev"

THIS makes a cool, damp day in New England much more tolerable image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before the day is gone,
    and before the stars are bright
    I hope the cloud you're on
    Has a silver lining in your sight.

And that goes for U and U and U2

~a coin geek~
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh man, so are we saying now...
    T1- 08/08 Burnished
    T2- 08/07 Burnished
    T3- 08/08 Shiny
    T4- 08/07 Shiny
    T6- 08 Matte Obv/07 Shiny Rev

Ahhhhh!

if this is true, how much will these 'varieties' matter to collectors? I'm guessing quite a bit. >>

AHHH but yer leaving out the newly discovered effed up S variety. OH GAWD how I wish they had lettered edged these things too. image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    bajjer, we couldn't be so lucky that the mint would mess up edge lettering on ASEs, if given the chance.

I'm waiting on the mess to come of the minting of the new edge lettered Sacs. I'm going to miss V.1.Sac.
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    If this keeps up I am going to need a whole Dansco Album just for 2008.image
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    The whole point is that this is a different master hub, not just an "effed up S" The S is just one of the diagnostics used to identify the second variety.

I might have expected this from some of the newbies BAJJERFAN, but not from you. (Maybe if we discribed it as a VAM you might get excited about it)

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    coolit, ...please
  • Options
    See what happens when VAMsters meet Bullion ? image
  • Options

<< <i>The whole point is that the is a different master hub, not just an "effed up S" The S is just one of the diagnostics used to identify the second variety.

I might have expected this from some of the newbies BAJJERFAN, but not from you. (Maybe if we discribed it as a VAM you might get excited about it) >>

Maybe its just damaged. How many of these have you seen?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Before the day is gone,
    and before the stars are bright
    I hope the cloud you're on
    Has a silver lining in your sight.

And that goes for U and U and U2

~a coin geek~ >>

more like u and U

why not this difference in 06 or 07 burnished dies?
    is the mint using a new planchet preparation??, are they using a different die making process???
  • Options
    I couldn't have said it better, 57!
  • Options

<< <i>bajjer, we couldn't be so lucky that the mint would mess up edge lettering on ASEs, if given the chance.

I'm waiting on the mess to come of the minting of the new edge lettered Sacs. I'm going to miss V.1.Sac. >>

edited to add winky.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The whole point is that the is a different master hub, not just an "effed up S" The S is just one of the diagnostics used to identify the second variety.

I might have expected this from some of the newbies BAJJERFAN, but not from you. (Maybe if we discribed it as a VAM you might get excited about it) >>

Maybe its just damaged. How many of these have you seen? >>

Wow, just pretend it's not real BAJJERFAN, thats fine with me. It really doesn't matter to me if you "Get it" or not. If you cant see the difference that's ok, for those that do find this variety that's just more fun for us.
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    Notice how the poet is not appreciated rather corrected on his "font" ? image

I have my own personal quote :

Abstinence makes the FONT grow harder image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe its just damaged. How many of these have you seen? >>

Wow, just pretend it's not real BAJJERFAN, thats fine with me. It really doesn't matter to me if you "Get it" or not. If you cant see the difference that's ok, for those that do find this variety that's just more fun for us. >>

The S in the pics you posted in the other thread doesn't have the kind of symmetry that they would intentionally put on a finished coin IMO. Yes I can see the difference between the two. However it got there; its there. Looks like damage to me. You would think they would use the same style S in both States and Silver which they apparently do. Now we need a FOIA filing to find out whodunnit and why and how many?

BTW is the Mint's investigation into the Wis leaf kerter fiasco subject to FOIA accessibility or could that be considered restricted and confidential?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Population Update:

The Pops for the NGC MS70 ER's (2,756 Coins) vs. PCGS MS70 FS. (112 Coins).

The Pops for the NGC MS69 ER's (3,510 Coins) vs. PCGS MS69 FS. (1,088 Coins).
  • Options
    That's a great numismatic counterpoint , Bajjerfan. (regarding the Wisconsin coin).

In either event, it is really great for numismatics that so much energy pulsates throughout the coin world over these SILVER orbs. They are EAGLES and it looks like the eagle has landed. It will bring all of "our coins" to new heights in my opinion, as we've shared in PMs.

Joe
  • Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    how many are shiny? image
  • Options

<< <i>Population Update:

The Pops for the NGC MS70 ER's (2,756 Coins) vs. PCGS MS70 FS. (112 Coins).

The Pops for the NGC MS69 ER's (3,510 Coins) vs. PCGS MS69 FS. (1,088 Coins). >>

Someone paid over $1700 on eBay for a new coin with almost 3,000 population? Yep, going back to the other thread about why you think the market sees PCGS as the best. Nuff said.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be a kick in the nads if the Mint released all of these varieties by the pickup truckload later this year.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>Wouldn't it be a kick in the nads if the Mint released all of these varieties by the pickup truckload later this year. >>

Wringing out the sheep, wringing out the sheep image
    Who shall come rejoicing , wringing out the sheep ?

A feast of Rocky Mountain Orbsters. image

Forgive me Al Gore... I'm just kidding image
  • Options
    Well I went through 85 of these suckers and all my "S"'s are in order..Lots of shiny ones though. There is a marked difference in their appearance. Definitely does not looked burnished
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FYI ordered 2 on 5/5, shipped 5/8. Both normal 08/08.

-Mike >>

Like down earlier in the thread ..no big sellers of the 2008/07 on ebay..put it into prospective ..I gave a 2008/07 as a 1st communion gift ..the kid knew what it was and how much it was worth .. mutiples of silver content. So, if coins don't show up much in dealer's stock in the next 2 weeks you can bet it is a rare one , more than anyone may dream image TO THE US MINT
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Well 3 boxes of 10 just arrived and drum roll please............................................

Box (1) ...............................................0/10

Box 2........................................................3/10 ......image

and box 3.......................................................................................

9 for 10...........................................funny too I could tell just by seeing the shiney obverse...........................Wife will be happy with a baby due any day now.....image

These orders were from the 30TH around 2:30
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Monday's NGC pop will show nearly 10k total graded so far.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Number of auctions has increased, as of now 152.

The prices also have increased, raw around $300.

More room for growth, doesn't seem to be a slowdown.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    Posted on another thread but you guys might not have seen it:

Ok, I have lots of these ASEs hanging around--lets call these S for shiny, M for Matte

I have some in NGC holders that are ER and Brn label. I have an example of a S/S 69, a S/S 70, and a S/M 69 and M/M 70

In PCGS FS holders, I have examples of S/S 69, and S/M 69

In my 2007 reverse variety coins, I have NGC ER M/S, S/M, S/S and in Raw, I have S/S

So we have 2008/08
    M/M variety 1
    M/S ? not yet seen in inventory
    S/M variety 3
    S/S variety 4

2008/07
    M/M ? not yet seen in inventory
    M/S variety 2
    S/M variety 3
    S/S variety 4

Anything else?
  • Options

<< <i>Well 3 boxes of 10 just arrived and drum roll please............................................ >>

BLAM.....YAHTZEE....Nice score!image
  • Options

<< <i>...
    Anything else? >>

Hi Russ,

Yes, a VAM book on these would be nice image
    Happy Trails,

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>Monday's NGC pop will show nearly 10k total graded so far >>

6818 total right now (6266 ER, 552 not ER) Do you think that many were graded since the this report (5/5) I assume you mean 08/07's
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well 3 boxes of 10 just arrived and drum roll please............................................

Box (1) ...............................................0/10

Box 2........................................................3/10 ......image

and box 3.......................................................................................

9 for 10...........................................funny too I could tell just by seeing the shiney obverse...........................Wife will be happy with a baby due any day now.....image

These orders were from the 30TH around 2:30 >>

I hope I get so lucky.

I ordered 10 on the 30th and they just arrived in MA this morning.
    Hopefully I get them Monday.

I will probably open them on the drive home from the Post office.image

Joe

Is it 1600 yet???
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    1595 is close
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I was just thinking (I know that can be dangerous in this thread but..) the Annual Dollar set will
    be available in July. Do you suppose that these are already made and will contain some of these varieties?

Joe

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    Well Dang!

I ordered 4 on 5/8 and they were shipped today and I don;t know what to hope for anymore!

08/08 Shiney
    08/08 Matte

08/07 Shiney
    08/07 Matte

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>Well Dang!

I ordered 4 on 5/8 and they were shipped today and I don;t know what to hope for anymore!

08/08 Shiney
    08/08 Matte

08/07 Shiney
    08/07 Matte

image >>

08/08 Shiney Reverse
    08/08 Shiney Obverse
    08/08 Matte

08/07 Shiney - I don't think anyone has reported these. All of them have been Rev of 08
    08/07 Matte
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found one, I think.

Left is 08/07 shiney, right is 08/07 matte

imageimage ]
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    i am so freakin' confused.. image
    now we not only have 08/08s, and 08/07s.. but we have endless postings about varieties with shiny Obverse and matte Obverse, and shiny Reverses and matte Reverses.. of what, both kinds?.. only one kind?.. good strikes and weak strikes.. different strikes that are either matte or shiny.. and then there's the shape of the "S".. which is either a different die or it isn't, because the lighting changed so in the picture above, the shadow is on the left on one picture, and the shadow is on the right on the other picture, but the shape of the "S" looks DIFFERENT to me regardless of which side the shadow is on.. sigh.. and then there's die wear and not die wear, there's maybe they used a Proof die, and maybe they didn't.. how many freakin' varieties ARE there?.. can someone sum all of this up IN PLAIN ENGLISH IN LIST FORM.. WITHOUT USING OBFUSCATED ABBREVIATIONS?.. i don't know what or whom to believe any more.. where's Scully and Muldar when i need them..

oh.. and if that paragraph didn't make your head explode.. my 03 May order for two reached Hebron Kentucky overnight.. i assume that's DHL, the "shipping partner" which means they should show up in my mailbox (or get handed to me by my mailman depending on whether or not i have to sign for them).. sometime before man colonizes Neptune..

the order for two more i placed yesterday afternoon ALREADY hit my CC: over-night.. i've NEVER seen the Mint hit the plastic so fast.. ever.. they must need some fast cash to buy more whips and maces to flail the press operators who screwed up and shoved the wrong dies into the presses..

i have seven 08/07s, all in NGC MS69 Early Releases slabs from two different sources.. and i didn't pay anywhere remotely near retail for any of them.. i don't have ONE single raw one of either type.. yet.. i'm not bidding on any, not planning on bidding on any.. that's enough!.. i'll just sit here and squirm waiting for the two orders of two each from the Mint and see what i get whenever they show up.. and any 08/07s that come out of those two orders, if there are any, are going to PCGS for slabbing.. i have four "free" (yeah, free.. after paying $199.00 for a year's membership.. ya call that free?).. submissions left on my membership, and my dream, although it might not be much of a dream, there are many dreams like it, but this one is mine.. is that i get four 08/07s outta those two dinky orders, and i send them all in to PCGS and get back four MS70s.. dream on..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file