Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I don't mind calling in for price since the price for these are volatile right now. GC is less expensive than MCM for ER70's >>

Can you share with us how much Gainsville is selling their ER70's for? imageimage
  • Options
    moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    I checked the Gainesville site and didn't see a price, how much are they getting for these coins?

<< <i> Just noticed Gainesville Coins has some MS 69 ER NGC back on their website. I called in and ordered a MS70 ER as I have noticed a spike in price on "the bay" for these. The order taker told me they only have a handful left in ER and the next batch they get will be brown labled.

<< <i>

• Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    MS69 ER's = $250 plus ship
    MS70 ER's = $450 plus ship

the 69's are on their website (call for pricing) but I asked about the 70's and grabbed one.
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    CB2597CB2597 Posts: 3,042
    Great Price!!! image
    Quick update:
    Just called and spoke to a rep. He said the only 70's they have is in a brown tag and not the blue early release. They are selling those for $425.
  • Options
    Already have an email from GC...."Gainesville Coins has sent you a packageþ"
    email has tracking number too.... I just ordered this...wow, fast!
  • Options
    Wow...Now that is Customer Service!!!image
  • Options
    John91CJohn91C Posts: 300 ✭✭
    Ordered 10 on 5/2 and just recv'd.

0/10...so they are being sent back

Edited to add: I think they were searched by the handlers because it was too easy pulling the capsule out of the box. I remember when I got 3 from my subscription in early April they were very hard to get out. Of course those 3 were 08/08.
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I went to my local coin club meeting tonight and in the auction was a 2008 (reverse of 2007) in the original box with a copy of the Coin World article. I bid and won it for $87. >>

You suck! image Congrats! >>

Congratulations, I think that is a realistic raw price for this "rarity", sans initial hype.

Now I would like to find a seller who will take a couple of my 2007 Ron Paul $20 silver liberties for one. These were $150 each less than a year ago.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Well the two orders I placed yesterday are backordered and expect to ship on 5/24. I think the reverse 07 are all gone. But will be curious to see what I get.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ordered 10 on 5/2 and just recv'd.

0/10...so they are being sent back

Edited to add: I think they were searched by the handlers because it was too easy pulling the capsule out of the box. I remember when I got 3 from my subscription in early April they were very hard to get out. Of course those 3 were 08/08. >>

Of the four I received yesterday, the 08/07's were the easiest to remove telling me nothing as the six 08/07's I received last week we're really difficult to remove.

I do suspect that the 08/07's that have been received within the past week are returns though.

I do not think that the US Mint is inspecting each and every box to prevent the 08/07 coins from being delivered.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Great Price!!! image
    Quick update:
    Just called and spoke to a rep. He said the only 70's they have is in a brown tag and not the blue early release. They are selling those for $425. >>

I just called back...yep, now only brown label

However, my order going out today:

Item Description
    Qty
    Price Ea
    Total

2008-W Burn Silver Eagle MS70 w/ Rev. of 07 Early Release
    1/$450

• Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    I reported yesterday that my order placed on 5/01 contained zero 07 reverses, however I just found out that my brother-in-law received 12 out of 15 reverses in his order! (Placed 4/29) As it was me that told him about the coins, he has agreed to sell me a few at the mint issue price $25.00 image
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fresh Baked Bread image

image I would think this thread can prove once and for all that people are more interested in the present profit than the past provenance.
    This thread is going through the roof and I'm capitalizing on gold having had a serious drop. I see a downside coming with the coin. Time will tell, but I commend you that deal with coins EVERY single day and do not hang your hat on the successes of one "GOLD RUSH", as it were.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I see a downside coming with the coin. Time will tell

OR . . . .

The downside could be coming with the Au. Time will tell. image

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how the 1999 'W' uncirculated $5 and $10 Gold Eagles stack up against these in
    terms of rarity and appeal. I am also very attracted the AGE errors and will get them when
    the funds are available. I also wonder if the 2008 AGE's may have the same 2007 errors
    since the "font" changes are very likely across the board for all coins in 2008.
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    my order for two (2) placed last Saturday 03 May, 2008, shipped yesterday.. i was emailed a Delivery confirmation number for the usual el cheap-o $4.95 shipping charge which means Parcel Post handed off to DHL.. log into US Mint Web site, log into my account, click on my order history, click on order, link to Track the shipment, click on link, new window opens on USPS Web site.. "there is no record of that number".. i freakin' HATE the USPS.. image

and, contrary to the previous post, i think these have TREMENDOUS upside potential.. thankfully, i'm not into these coins for a fortune.. i didn't order any by the tens, or hundreds.. i have a buncha NGC slabs that i got on the cheap.. FAR cheaper than eBay prices.. but i still think that there is NO way 47,000 of them made it out of Memphis.. there's just too much anecdotal evidence posted here that the Mint's warehouse people have been / are opening boxes, looking for them, and pulling them out and replacing them with 08/08s.. but it'll take weeks, probably months to get to the truth.. Gold is down, Silver is down.. at least Platinum took a nice leap today, up to $2044/oz when i checked a few minutes ago.. and crude oil is at $125.00/bbl.. if you're not already paying four bucks a gallon or more, you will be soon.. so i wait for my measly pair.. and i think i can recognize a 69 from a 70.. but if i get one or two 08/07s outta the pair that is somewhere between Memphis and me, i'm hangin' on to them.. if they pass the "i think these are 70s" inspection.. they go off to PCGS..

and Daniel Carr.. you are one lucky s.o.b.. didn't the other members of your coin club have a clue?..

is that enough stream-of-consciousness topic switching for one post?.. i think so.. off to the supermarket to get ripped off some more..

Harv
    (owner of ICG Signature Series PR69 DCAM Rhode Island State Quarter, label autograhed by D. Carr, serial number 00009 / 10000..) ..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    The easy way to track the USPS package is to take only the numbers after the first letter off the USPS
    site (which you get after clicking the Mint link) and enter them into the DHL tracking website. DHL
    tracking does show status till they deliver it to your local PO.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I reported yesterday that my order placed on 5/01 contained zero 07 reverses, however I just found out that my brother-in-law received 12 out of 15 reverses in his order! (Placed 4/29) As it was me that told him about the coins, he has agreed to sell me a few at the mint issue price $25.00 image >>

Nice b-i-l!

Ren
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    The prices are WAY volatile, but still trending up.

Right now, $425 is too low. Buy every one you can get at that price!

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

Just received two 10 coin 2008 W Unc SAE orders via DHL/Post Office:

Drumroll please......................

box one: 1/10 with 07 reverse

box two: 0/10 with 07 reverse

Both of these orders were placed within minutes of my 24/25 scoring 07 reverse box received yesterday and posted on this thread!!

BTW-the 'normal' 08's are the nicest I have received thus far, definitely not rejects.

My conclusion: you cannot jump to conclusions as to what the Mint (Fulfillment center) is doing--I don't believe they know either!

P.S. All is not grim......just got grades posted from across the street on ER 08/07rev's six of 25 graded MS70!
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The prices are WAY volatile, but still trending up.

Right now, $425 is too low. Buy every one you can get at that price!

John >>

Thanks for the comments John as I know you are on the front line with these.
    Question, $425 is too low for the raws?
    I watched the 2006 Silver Anniversary's RP and even their trajectory wasn't as mercurial as these. What is your guesstimate on the mintage from what you have experienced..... and does it really matter?

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>......just got grades posted from across the street on ER 08/07rev's six of 25 graded MS70! >>

Nice score bumanchu! image
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way: buy it now price: US $1,999.99 on ebay for the PCGS FS70!! Item number: 180241225777.
    Okay, new top for oil and errors!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I just received my grades from PCGS. I only got 1-MS 70 and 11 69's. A little disappointing but I'll take it. All first strikes.
  • Options
    MrBlusterMrBluster Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
    Good day for someone a pcgs 70 FS 1999.99 Just sold on Ebayimage
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just received my grades from PCGS. I only got 1-MS 70 and 11 69's. A little disappointing but I'll take it. All first strikes. >>

I have a theory that they will be grading these more strictly because of the value of the coin in a ms70 grade.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good day for someone a pcgs 70 FS 1999.99 Just sold on Ebayimage >>

This 2008/07 will be much rarer than people think.....no large auctions from the big ebay sellers..unlike the 2006 Anniv Gold 3 pc sets
    My guess ...2008/07 .....less than 20,000
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

This 2008/07 will be much rarer than people think.....no large auctions from the big ebay sellers..unlike the 2006 Anniv Gold 3 pc sets
    My guess ...2008/07 .....less than 20,000 >>

-Paul
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I just got two of these in from John at Modern Coin Mart....I paid $300 each, with is not bad at all, considering the 08 reverse of 07 MS69 are selling for $325+

Edited to add the picture that I forgot:

Thanks John!

-Paul
  • Options
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think this is the primary reason I love visiting these boards!

Where else can you get this kind of information in a nano second that presents all sorts of financial and collecting opportunities?

Well.....that and all the verbal fisti-cuffs that is. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Nice score and presentation Coinkid!image
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got two of these in from John at Modern Coin Mart....I paid $300 each, with is not bad at all, considering the 08 reverse of 07 MS69 are selling for $325+

Edited to add the picture that I forgot:

Thanks John!

-Paul >>

Moderncoinmart is an all around class act....
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Paul and all the others that bought these early on!

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    I bought the other two.

Yes, they do a great job!
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>The easy way to track the USPS package is to take only the numbers after the first letter off the USPS
    site (which you get after clicking the Mint link) and enter them into the DHL tracking website. DHL
    tracking does show status till they deliver it to your local PO. >>

here's the Tracking information i get from the Mint:
    2956293583532xxxx
    910210549961520978xxxx

there is no "first letter".. the bottom number is a USPS Parcel Post number.. i ASSumed the top number was a DHL number but it comes up empty on dhl.com too..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will NGC allow you to send in two seperatly slabbed coins, both MS69 ER's to put into those two coin sets?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats Paul and all the others that bought these early on! >>

I like the presentation case. I'm just not a great fan of ASE's .

Maybe they'll go WAY up, as collectibles. For now, I can buy the complete set from ' 86 to '08 for a thousand bucks in NGC 69. Given that, this is an exciting time to be a collector . The variety of 2008 does offer a shot in the arm and a needed boost for our hobby.
  • Options
    ca0100000ca0100000 Posts: 362 ✭✭

<< <i>Will NGC allow you to send in two seperatly slabbed coins, both MS69 ER's to put into those two coin sets? >>

Yes. They will also keep the er.

If you are sending NGC graded Early
    Release coins for a multi-holder, you will keep the designation. NGC
    does not have a minimum for re-holders.
  • Options
    Good question Jess!image Imagine Two Early Release MS70's side by side:The 08/07 and the 08/08 image
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    << Just curious, How long did it take from first shipping until Halfhunter's discovery? >>

Not exactly sure what you mean but:

I Ordered 2 on 3/17 - Backordered
    Invoice/Packing Slip dated 4/04/08
    e-mail conf. shows shipped 4/08/08.
    Received 04/14. Both were 08/07s

Some folks may have received these earlier and just not noticed the difference.
    Hope this helps.

Yes, I was wondering about the timeline. How long were these out of the Mint before you broke the story? I just chuckle that this slipped under everybody's radar until your thread on April 15 opened the floodgates, only a day after you received them!
  • Options

<< <i>Good question Jess! Imagine Two Early Release MS70's side by side:The 08/07 and the 08/08 >>

Took the freakin' words right out of my mouth...Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

I guess i could sell one of mine for that!!image
  • Options

<< <i>I guess i could sell one of mine for that!! >>

Just Do It while its HOT!!! image
  • Options
    Noticed wide and thin rim on 2008 /08 reverse SAE see pics
    Any comments?
    Thanks to all

Jmcoins
    J Macs COINS n Collectibles
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Well the two orders I placed yesterday are backordered and expect to ship on 5/24. I think the reverse 07 are all gone. But will be curious to see what I get.

Just went to in stock and reserved. I guess they still have some left. Whether 07 or 08?
  • Options

<< <i>Just went to in stock and reserved. I guess they still have some left. Whether 07 or 08? >>

I just hope they are not recycling the returns image
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Well they definately do, my 150 order almost all the boxes had pry marks.... image
  • Options
    I noticed this - thick to thin rimms, but I forgot to post about it!

imageimage

• Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    1500 damn I love this job!!
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file