Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    I have: 3 NGC ER 69's
    5 NGC ER 70's
    20 Raw (4 for sale tomorrow to get some cash back and 14 going to NGC for grading, keeping 2 raw)
  • Options
    Just for the heck of it,i put in a few more small orders yesterday hoping to get someone's returns who didn't know what they had.I know it's just a long shot. image
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So if there are 47,000, where are they?
    I haven't seen anywhere close to that, but maybe I'm not looking close enough.

Stefanie >>

Never will be close to 47,000..unless some large cache turns up ....look for under 20,000 total...
    Except for Moderncoinmart..none of the big ebay sellers have any quantity of 2008/07s..also look at scotsmanacutions , absent this time from the 2008/07 hoopla
  • Options

<< <i>

Stefanie >>

Never will be close to 47,000..unless some large cache turns up ....look for under 20,000 total...
    Except for Moderncoinmart..none of the big ebay sellers have any quantity of 2008/07s..also look at scotsmanacutions , absent this time
    from the 2008/07 hoopla >>

• Options
    The May 8th, 9th and 10th small orders have shipped. The 5/8 was shipped on 8/13 and is now at the local USPS....2 days..not too bad but now let's see how long it takes to travel the next 3 miles to my home
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Stefanie >>

Except for Moderncoinmart..none of the big ebay sellers have any quantity of 2008/07s..also look at scotsmanacutions , absent this time from the 2008/07 hoopla >>

if they do they are keeping quiet and will wait, others will dribble them out, i guess. some are just doing what comes natural, selling them and making the sure quick, proftable flip.

some must have been returned to the mint, but mum's the word on that.

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    ONE month ago today! ! !

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    I currently have 10. 2 that I purchased off the BST and 8 that I got from the mint. Although I have two waiting to be shipped out that I just sold on EBay. They brought in $300 each raw, as expected.

So I guess I'm down to 8 again with some more mint orders on the way.

As for the black hole shipping, I live in an apartment complex and there is a note on my mailbox that says "PLEASE LEAVE ALL PACKAGES AT MAIN OFFICE." My apartment office will accept packages and hold them for me, sometimes the mailman just brings it back to the PO and leaves me a notice to pick up. Either way, a lot safer than having them just set it out for anyone to take!!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, i got my second order of 12 from the mint today via FedEx. I finally saw a 2008/2008 coin image The boxes were definetly different sizes and the capsule wasn't as hard to get out. They didn't look picked through because they were all very, very nice. I think I will put them away for a few years, or give them out as really cheesy gifts this year. My sister graduates from college on Saturday... image

edited after reading a few posts below. image

WOW, you guys are right. I only have two more posts to 1000... I have to think about this one a little...
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>well, i got my second order of 12 from the mint today via FedEx. I finally saw a 2008/2008 coin image The boxes were definetly different sizes and the capsule wasn't as hard to get out. They didn't look picked through because they were all very, very nice. I think I will put them away for a few years, or give them out as really cheesy gifts this year. My sister graduates from college on Saturday... image >>

Good Idea, Two more posts & you will have a grand image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    jessewvu....2 more posts to 1000!!
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options

<< <i>When the coinworld story comes out demand will go up. When people figure out that there are more than they thought price will go down.

subwaydrive-thru got 86 of them for $12,900 plus shipping >>

Looks like a steal now...
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • Options
    From NN as of 5/15/08.

295,059 2008 W SAE minted so far
  • Options
    Just got a shipment of 10.... regulars.

Boxes were a mess, all searched through. Had the pry mark where the person searching popped the coins out. One even fell right out of its capsule when I opened the box!

Might be all done here.

Move along, nothing to see....
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>From NN as of 5/15/08.

295,059 2008 W SAE minted so far >>

and the yeart's not half-over yet.. so if they do what they did last year, they'll make about 600,000 to 700,000 2008-W ASEs..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options

<< <i>I currently have 10. 2 that I purchased off the BST and 8 that I got from the mint. Although I have two waiting to be shipped out that I just sold on EBay. They brought in $300 each raw, as expected.

So I guess I'm down to 8 again with some more mint orders on the way.

As for the black hole shipping, I live in an apartment complex and there is a note on my mailbox that says "PLEASE LEAVE ALL PACKAGES AT MAIN OFFICE." My apartment office will accept packages and hold them for me, sometimes the mailman just brings it back to the PO and leaves me a notice to pick up. Either way, a lot safer than having them just set it out for anyone to take!! >>

my "kiosk" mailbox is plenty roomy enough for a box of 2 ASEs to fit inside it.. the mailman never leaves packages sitting on top.. if a package won't fit, he'll bring it to my door even if it doesn't require a signature.. or leave it behind my screen door if i'm out.. i have UPS and Fedex toilet-trained to do the same.. and the freakin' building Manager (who lives next door to me.. bleah!.. well it seemed like a good idea at the time, when i moved into this dump years ago.. i figured who's gonna break into an apartment (mine) right next door to the Manager who is the busybody to end all busybodies and sits there in her rent-free apartment staring out the window all day.. rule #12 of apartment living.. NEVER rent a unit next door to a screeching, nasty, busybody, spying manager.. live and learn.. but i digress.. ).. anyway, she won't accept packages for anyone..

the only risk is if we get a substitute carrier on the day my box(es) arrive and they throw them in someone else's mailbox by mistake.. and that someone leaves it sitting on top of the kiosks, rather than being a nice neighbor and bringing it to my door.. or they take it inside with their own mail, don't even notice it's not addressed to them, open it, say "ooh! coins!" and keeps it.. then i'm screwed.. i often see letters sitting on top of the kiosks that got thrown in the wrong box by substitutes, (the people in this building are too damn lazy to walk it to another tenant's door..) .. but i don't think i've EVER seen a parcel sitting there.. any time i get someone's mail by mistake, i walk it to their door, knock, and hand it to them if they're home, or cram it into their door jamb, or leave it behind their screen door if they have one..

however.. since it Tracks as leaving Hebron, KY, a week ago.. and not as delivered, then that means no delivery attempt to me has been made yet.. so i know a neighbor didn't swipe it..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received an order of 8 today and all 8 were 08 reverses. Earlier this week, I got 5/5 08 reverses. Fortunately, I got 5/12 07 reverses last week, but I believe the well has all but run dry by now.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    295,059 2008 W SAE minted so far >>

The rest of the year they'll just be shipping returns! image

Regards, John
  • Options

<< <i>The rest of the year they'll just be shipping returns! >>

Exactly...that's why I think this years mintage will be lower than people think....
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    new groups of 20 are yielding no 08/07's

this may be over

these boxes were picked and invoiced on 5/14.
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>new groups of 20 are yielding no 08/07's

this may be over

these boxes were picked and invoiced on 5/14. >>

I think we need to give it another week for orders to be received to get a good idea if they're all cleaned out.

Remember, people were saying at the end of April that it was over too image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok Folks. This will be my last thread until Monday. That is when the winning information needed for MilesWaits giveaway will be announced. Link to Giveaway Thread - GO THERE NOW, SIGN UP FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

When I post again, the winning number will be shown in the charts. Remember, you must submit your answer (and your post with the answer may not be edited) by SATURDAY night.

When I come back, I might reveal a giveaway or something for my 1000th post!

My daily dump on Monday will be another comprehensive one.

Here is the daily dump. The numbers sold seem to be steady with a slight drop in price. I am not sure what the reason for that is, maybe it is because the PCGS MS70's haven't been selling which totally messes with the generic "2007 reverse 2008" trends.

• Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Hi, Jesse,

I know I'm being redundant a bit, but thank you for this info...very helpful, and incredibly nice. Congrats on 1,000 (in 2!).

Edited: Oops! In 1!!!!
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Jesse!
    Thanks again for the info! It is helpful and fun to watch the ascension or descent; either way these have the potential to move ya.
    Yes, get to posting on your guesses (or educated/psychic observations) so I can give this 2008-W Reverse of 2007 away before I ebay it!
    Congrats on your further good fortune!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    MrScienceMrScience Posts: 728 ✭✭✭
    Another data point: I went 0-for-12 and 0-for-12 today in two orders placed May 12 and delivered May 15. Impressive turnaround time by the Mint, but no Reverses of '07!
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I am glad that everyone was able to get a shot at these. It was my post on my 9 orders of ten that alerted everyone that they were comming in the small orders. My theory on this was that the mint was making an effort to release them to the small collectors, hence the 5/5's etc. Orders for 50 or 100 dried up after the mint found out. Its a theory and we will never know. Even if 47K leaked out they are in so many hands, like the 96W's, quantity will not be avail which should keep prices stable. Since few can dump a large number on the market we won't see large rushes of coins.

Who knows wha prices will be in a few months but these are going to get scarce. As prices move up however more will hit the market, in an orderly fashion. Given that at most there are 47K of them I can't see them ever going back to the glory days of sub $300. man I am kicking my self for not buying some on the open market.

John, how many do you guys have left?
  • Options
    ASE's packed in the 5/4 and after time frame (invoice date) have been very dry in 08/07's, especially in the 5-10-5/13 timeframe.

I have had groups of orders received and have only sourced limited coins in this time period.

I still have incoming orders and hope for the best, but I believe we are now working with returns, unless there are other struck coins not delivered to the warehouse (i.e. at West Point) I would tend to think the sourcing from the USM is over.

Keep in mind, if you have snail mail orders arriving that were placed in the 4/10-4/30 timeframe, especially 4/23-4/30 timeframe, you probably have a good chance on sourcing these from the USM.

Members must look at the invoice pack date - instead of just posting that "I went 5/5"; it gives others the false impression that they are newly packed pieces when they are not.
  • Options
    The POPs will be interesting the next couple of weeks.

Regards, John
  • Options
    POPS will have delayed submissions, you have to wait at least a month for the pipeline to clear
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    217 auctions
    -69 64/217 29.5%
    -70 28/217 12.9
    Other 125/217 57.6
  • Options
    released from its shackles at the Black Hole of Hebron, KY a week ago, my 03 May, 2008 order reached a local USPS distribution center in the early hours of the morning.. dunno if was early enough to get put on another truck and make it to my local Main Branch and into my mailman's truck for today's mail delivery.. doubt it, but who knows.. {{cue theme music from "Suspense"}}.. so if it arrives in today's mail, after tearing into it you'll either see me post a..

image if there are two of the magic coins in it or a

image if there is one in it, or a

imageimageimage

if there are none in it..

and then lather, rinse, repeat the process in about a week when my other order of two schlepps its way across the country for a repeat performance..

stay tuned..
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Heck, I'm going to do my Happy Dance when my order arrives no matter how many (if any) 07 reverses.
    If I get any 07 reverses, I plan on doing my SUPER Happy Dance.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>I am glad that everyone was able to get a shot at these. It was my post on my 9 orders of ten alerted everyone that they were comming in the small orders. My thearoy on this was that the mint was making an effort to release them to the small collectors, hence the 5/5's etc. Orders for 50 or 100 dried up after the mint found out. Its a theory and we will never know. Even if 47K leaked ou they are in so many hands, like the 96W's that quantity will not be avail which should keep prices stable. Since few can dump a large number on the market we won't see large rushes of coins.

Who knows wha prices will be in a few months bu these are going to get scarce. As prices move up however more will hit the marke, in an orderly fashion. Given that at most there are 47K of them I can't see them ever going back to the glory days of sub $300. man I am kicking my self for not buying some on the open market.

John, how many do you guys have left? >>

Hey by the way a big thanks to you as well, had it not been for your report on the 9 boxes of 10 I would not have placed and scored the 12/30 last Saturday, nor the 2/12 from 1 day earlier....image
  • Options

<< <i>Heck, I'm going to do my Happy Dance when my order arrives no matter how many (if any) 07 reverses.
    If I get any 07 reverses, I plan on doing mu SUPER Happy Dance. >>

YOU GO

Have a good one!!!
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    My brother-in-law received his last order of 25 today. 0/25 07 reverses.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Date of order?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    I just saw my postman put my 05/08 order for 5 in my mailbox.....I will venture out into the rain to retrieve and report
  • Options
    EEEEEEEEK! This is an unedited photo of what I see looking into the box. Notice the upper coin is out of the box and OUT OF THE CAPSULE!!!! Man it isn't easy to get these buggers out of the capsule so there must have been some serious bouncin' around during transport. These have to be coins that were either returns or checked over by the Mint....I guess I should peek at the "U's"....

• Options
    As I suspected 0/5 and these are the worst quality coins I have ever gotten from the Mint. Besides the 2 that were free wheelin in the box the other 3 had divots and spots and scratches. I will be making my first return of Mint products. imageimageimage

I have 2 more orders probably coming tomorrow (5 and 4). Can't say I am looking forward to those....
  • Options
    Could have been worse...open the box and it's empty image

If the loose one is a 08/07 W....tough call if a keeper. I guess loose it would still be worth it.
  • Options
    rpcoletranerpcoletrane Posts: 718 ✭✭
    Someone deserves a nice kick in the a$$ for that mess. Have they ever heard of packing material????? IDIOTS!
  • Options
    I had 4 boxes of 5 each and everyone of them looked like that when i opened them up.Luckily no damage and i did get 6 out of 20 with the 07 reverse.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man - you have patience -- taking that photo and sending it before peeking at the reverses...(but THANKS!)

No packing pillows or paper? Unacceptable. Should have at least scored one.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>No packing pillows or paper? >>

There was a packing pillow on top of that mess.....
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Received a box of (10) today, shipped/packed 5/8/08..........0 for 10
    they appear to be drying up..........
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Just checked the status of some of my US Mint orders. I put in an order on 4-29 for a couple Sac rolls - seems I ordered 2 - 2008-W BU Silver Eagles also. I'd completely forgot about them.

Anyway, the order was shipped on 5-6-08 to my PO Box - 45 miles away ( near my workplace ). I'm laid-off this week so the earliest I will check my PO Box will be Tuesday after work. Mondays are way too crowded. With the price of gas, I won't travel up there just to get a few coins.

Keeping fingers crossed, maybe I won't get shut out on those 08/07's after all. image
  • Options

<< <i>EEEEEEEEK! This is an unedited photo of what I see looking into the box. Notice the upper coin is out of the box and OUT OF THE CAPSULE!!!! Man it isn't easy to get these buggers out of the capsule so there must have been some serious bouncin' around during transport. These have to be coins that were either returns or checked over by the Mint....I guess I should peek at the "U's"....

image >>

Send this picture to the Fimageing Mint. WTF imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone deserves a nice kick in the a$$ for that mess. Have they ever heard of packing material????? IDIOTS! >>

The mint uses those quick pack air bubbles. This normally would have had those in it. Nobody you know ever made an error? I guess nobody working FOR you ever made two errors. Fire those idiots. yeah.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Ebay prices still holding up even with more coins listed..Odd thing is look at the large number of bidders.... in cases some 25+ bidders for the 2008,07 coins .If anything , a lot of interest in the 2008/07 Eagles

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file