Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I just sold my last MS70 Early Release NGC...not meaning to brag at all but though you guys would like to see this. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>Apparently NGC graded at least one of these incorrectly before the error was found..... Oops!! >>

That is rediculous. That is just and unattributed variety, not an error. --Jerry
  • Options
    ridiculous image
  • Options
    RWRW Posts: 485
    0-5 Ordered May 8th.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

just sold my last MS70 Early Release NGC...not meaning to brag at all but though you guys would like to see this. --Jerry

Nice score Jerry, I had some brown labels go off in the last couple days, I think the low was 545.00, the high was 650.00.......
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices seem to be steadily climbing. Seems like a week ago they could be had for $450.

NGC MS70 ER, with 10 minutes @ $735.

70widget
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $1000 for the NGC 70 is amazing...but what I find interesting is the lack of PCGS 70s. The last one sold on the 13th for $1750.

I only see 2 listed at all -- are they that scarce?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    To get a true count on this thread I'd like to see the number of repeat posts from members because it's obvious the vast majority of replies are from a finite number of members posting over and over and over and over again.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To get a true count on this thread I'd like to see the number of repeat posts from members because it's obvious the vast majority of replies are from a finite number of members posting over and over and over and over again. >>

And your point is...?
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    198 auctions
    -69 54/198 27.3%
    -70 30/198 15.2
    Other 114/198 57.5
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Still waiting for my order that was mailed May 8th. I think they were shipped by Pony Express. >>

Me too. image

Btw, anyone see this? image

Certified Prior to Discovery MS 69 NGC
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I purchased some on the 'Bay when John's post came out. I ordered a few from ATS with the early release on the slab. Imagine a TPG not noticing this variety & grading coins. WTF >>

I like this one!!!!

Yes I did that post image >>

TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

A couple ms70 brown labels just closed on the bay......738.00 and 749.00....image
  • Options
    That's nuts!

On the other hand these might be the "rare" Label over at NGC!
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's nuts!

On the other hand these might be the "rare" Label over at NGC! >>

actually, it's nuts to discount the ER vs regular label, especially with the supposidly(sp) limited amount of 47,000 that are floating around.

but i do dislike the "rare" or "desired" moniker, ....the sellers must also write ads for real estate.....lol

• Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Still waiting for my order that was mailed May 8th. I think they were shipped by Pony Express. >>

Me too. image

Btw, anyone see this? image

Certified Prior to Discovery MS 69 NGC >>

what's interesting is the whole thing is about the Reverse and his picture of the Reverse is less than half the size of his picture of the Obverse.. it's so smal that there's utterly no way to tell if it's the Reverse of 2007 or not, and yet someone still threw over a grand at it?.. over a coin with a picture so small you can't even tell what it is, and because of a LABELLING ERROR?.. the rarest Error in history?.. labelling errors are a dime a dozen.. even if i had Franklins falling out of my pockets, i would have demanded (politely) that the seller put up a picture of the Reverse that showed it IS the Reverse of 2007.. i can't believe people even bid on this at all with that microscopic picture..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    The 47,000 number to me is highly suspect

That seems to be a high end number

Keep in mind that the USM does not like to admit mistakes or errors, and this one was publicly admitted

The sheer number of coins that were searched through - I would estimate 5,000 or more coins searched just by people on this forum (and thats conservative); and the resulting average success percentage; IMO no more than 20-25 thousand coins of this type exist.

Keep in mind that the early subscription deliveries were devoid of these coins, several large dealers with standing orders of several thousand did not get ANY

Only subsequent orders with invoice and pack dates in the April 8 through end of April 30 dates were receiving this variety in any significant quantity

If the 47,000 number is good, then it would seem likely that half of those were pulled by the USM.
  • Options
    Some have been asking about order dates/pack dates of successful finds

From my analysis (several groups of buyers polled, 5,000 plus coins (conservative) searched by those groups)

Invoice and Pack Dates between 4/8 and 5/4 have had successful finds, significant finds in the Invoice and Pack Dates of 4/20 to 4/30 date range.

Everything after 4/30 Invoice and Pack Dates have had insignificant finds, if any

Invoice and Pack Dates from 5/4 forward have had no finds, the later the tming gets, the less likely the finds.

These ARE NOT order placement dates, these are Invoice and Pack Dates

Hence my comment, it's over.

The secondary market is beginning to show this trend already with higher prices.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked up "FLIP FLOP" in the glossary of numismatic terms. I did not find it.

I can imagine what it means, though image
  • Options
    I havent heard of a confirmed find yet in boxes Invoiced and Packed AFTER 5/14
  • Options

<< <i>The 47,000 number to me is highly suspect

That seems to be a high end number

Keep in mind that the USM does not like to admit mistakes or errors, and this one was publicly admitted

The sheer number of coins that were searched through - I would estimate 5,000 or more coins searched just by people on this forum (and thats conservative); and the resulting average success percentage; IMO no more than 20-25 thousand coins of this type exist.

Keep in mind that the early subscription deliveries were devoid of these coins, several large dealers with standing orders of several thousand did not get ANY

Only subsequent orders with invoice and pack dates in the April 8 through end of April 30 dates were receiving this variety in any significant quantity

If the 47,000 number is good, then it would seem likely that half of those were pulled by the USM. >>

my opinion only.. i don't think anywhere near 47,000 of these made it out of Memphis.. there are just too many stories of boxes that look like they were ripped open, searched, and re-sealed.. too many to be coincidence.. i'm optimistically hoping it was less than half that number.. and based on that, i'm not selling the NGC 69s i'm holding because prices are still rising.. my orders of two each on 03 May and 09 May were a total crap-shoot thinking maybe some more might squeak out.. 0/2 so far, with two more to arrive in a week or so and i expect 0/2 to be in that box also.. i believe you're right that there was a window of a few weeks during April when the bulk of them escaped.. before that and after that.. virtually nada..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Now convince the writers of the Grey Sheet how rare they are !! I think that 47,000 is too high !!
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    IMO, I dont believe there are many significant holdings of these (more than 250) in any one person's hands

Including Dealers

As evidenced by some larger dealers calling thier sources to buy these in the last week- probably for the tv coin shows......
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 ordered may 11 O for 5 on the 07 reverse. Coins were tight in the holders they did not appear to have been gone through.
  • Options
    I suspect there are many that were already graded by NGC and not recognized, subsquently sold by the Dealers to public.

In fact, I think NGC had about 20-30K ER's graded out before discovery.

I think I recall one dealer here that had about a 1,000 Units sold before the news came out.

How many go back for re-label? who knows?

• Options
    You can't knock the guy for giving it a try:

Link
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I suspect there are many that were already graded by NGC and not recognized, subsquently sold by the Dealers to public.

I think I recall one dealer here that had about a 1,000 Units sold before the news came out.

How many go back for re-label? who knows? >>

This is true but once they get relabeled, then the actual populations get updated to reflect a more accurate count.

Currently I show 8,233 as being graded by PCGS and NGC in both regular and Early Release.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I suspect there are many that were already graded by NGC and not recognized, subsquently sold by the Dealers to public.

How many go back for re-label? who knows? >>

This is true but once they get relabeled, then the actual populations get updated to reflect a more accurate count.

Currently I show 8,233 as being graded by PCGS and NGC in both regular and Early Release. >>

Lee, Can you break that down. Thank's -David
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    NGC as of 6 days ago (new numbers tomorrow) 8765 total graded

2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007 MS 1942 968 974
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6823 1 3744 3078

One MS68...love to have that Pop 1/1

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any pop reports for PCGS? I have not seen any Non-FS 70's yet, curious what the price diff will be.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    i suspect the answer is "no" but i'll ask anyway.. if one were to submit NGC Early Releases slabs to PCGS for cross-over, would PCGS give them the First Strike designation?.. both designations mean basically the same thing, just worded differently, no?..

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i suspect the answer is "no" but i'll ask anyway.. if one were to submit NGC Early Releases slabs to PCGS for cross-over, would PCGS give them the First Strike designation?.. both designations mean basically the same thing, just worded differently, no?.. >>

I called PCGS about that and they said NO. Oh well-was worth a try.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>i suspect the answer is "no" but i'll ask anyway.. if one were to submit NGC Early Releases slabs to PCGS for cross-over, would PCGS give them the First Strike designation?.. both designations mean basically the same thing, just worded differently, no?.. >>

I called PCGS about that and they said NO. Oh well-was worth a try. >>

thanks.. ya saved me a phone call.. like you said, it was worth a try..
    hmm.. one more post and i hit 500.. {{twirling finger in the air}}..
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some have been asking about order dates/pack dates of successful finds

From my analysis (several groups of buyers polled, 5,000 plus coins (conservative) searched by those groups)

Invoice and Pack Dates between 4/8 and 5/4 have had successful finds, significant finds in the Invoice and Pack Dates of 4/20 to 4/30 date range.

Everything after 4/30 Invoice and Pack Dates have had insignificant finds, if any

Invoice and Pack Dates from 5/4 forward have had no finds, the later the tming gets, the less likely the finds.

These ARE NOT order placement dates, these are Invoice and Pack Dates

Hence my comment, it's over.

The secondary market is beginning to show this trend already with higher prices. >>

When NGC pops trickle down .....the 2008/07 will be widely recognized as much more rarer, than anyone thinks BUY!!!!image
  • Options
    As for the possibility of many of the 07 reverse coins being labeled as ordinary 08 reverses and sold before the discovery (or the discovery caught on)

I wouldnt count on it.

As I stated in a previous post, a few dealers I know bought thier 1,000 coin orders in the first week of issue (as most dealers do to have the certified and sell them as soon as they release) - this leads me to believe that those coins were from the same group as subscriptions were sold from - and the subscription orders overwhelmingly had NO 07 reverses.

One of those dealers did not certify right away, and searched his entire lot after the discovery - 0 for 1000

Reverse of 07 coins started to show up on coins invoiced and packed on or around 4/8 through 4/30 and dwindled into 5/4 or a few days later.

As such, the reverse of 2007 in a holder labeled as 2008 normal reverse should be hard to come by....

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Apparently NGC graded at least one of these incorrectly before the error was found..... Oops!! >>

That is rediculous. That is just and unattributed variety, not an error. --Jerry >>

Just like the useless economists that say there is no justification for crude oil price at 126.00.. be not smarter than the market as a whole meaning many people value this 2008/07 regardless of what people call it ..buy the MS-70s
  • Options
    Up date:

396437 2008-W Silver Eagle, Rev of '07 First Strike

MS69 =1,223

MS70 = 135
  • Options

<< <i>Any pop reports for PCGS? I have not seen any Non-FS 70's yet, curious what the price diff will be. >>

Here's one that sold on ebay... PCGS MS70 non first strike.
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • Options
    I hereby yield (gladly) the EBay Sales Record to John Maben's Team (that has stood for about 9 days @ $1,999.99) WITH HIS RECORD SALE OF US $2,144.99

This should bode well for the series !

John Maben's Sale
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am rooting for your record to stand CoinBoy; although, it is fun to see the tops and I wish I had a MS70 FS but will be happy with my 69.
    It seems MCM and Gainsville are "Out of Stock" so it will be good to watch the short-term effect of the drying-up of graded retail supply.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    These coins are moving up steady amidst higher sales. (200 auctions)
    This will be dump month for many as they receive thier coins from PCGS and NGC.

June will bring a drop off of auctions (100-120 auctions) and a sharp rise in prices.

Just my $.02

Joe

New record $2144.99
  • Options
    Up they go Boys and Girls!

Next stop $2,500!
  • Options
    $2144.99!! WOW! Oh well, CoinBoy, the record has changed hands.

Miles
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    seems to be around $300 for raws now. What are the reg NGC/PCGS 69's going for? I guess you have to consider the $34 grading fees from PGS (Plus shipping)
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Yup..... $2144 and again, already paid by paypal.... pretty amazing.

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did a forum member win it? Seems like I've seen that handle before.

I watched it myself, the pool of these is drying up quickly.

Congrats to the winner.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i>Did a forum member win it? Seems like I've seen that handle before.

I watched it myself, the pool of these is drying up quickly.

Congrats to the winner. >>

The same member that was offering 2008 W eagles for 23.95 w/ free ship/insur. on ebay
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • Options

<< <i>Did a forum member win it? Seems like I've seen that handle before. I watched it myself, the pool of these is drying up quickly. Congrats to the winner. >>

Yes, that is a forum member. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That is rediculous. That is just and unattributed variety, not an error. --Jerry >>

Just like the useless economists that say there is no justification for crude oil price at 126.00.. be not smarter than the market as a whole meaning many people value this 2008/07 regardless of what people call it ..buy the MS-70s >>

My point about ridiculous applies to the seller and the unfortunate buyer that fell for it. That coin is just a 69 worth less than $400 (last I checked). --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>Yup..... $2144 and again, already paid by paypal.... pretty amazing. >>

Congrats John!
    Has your supply dried up? Are you waiting on more?

Miles

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file