Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    I know that will be going in a frame!
    Wonder who's next, Walter Johnson?
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... that will look great next to THE BABE!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I've been EXTREMELY busy lately and haven't really taken the time to update my signed rookies thread like I usually do. I've been enjoying the Rangers games with my kiddos in my spare time, and catching up on some other stuff as well. I've received a lot of PM's asking questions about autographs, the hobby, etc, and haven't taken the time yet to reply to them for the most part. If you've sent me a PM with general questions, I'll get back to you as my free time allows.

Here's a football addition I recently added. He's still alive, but it's not the easiest card to find signed or to get signed.

1954 Bowman Doug Atkins PSA/DNA

Buying US Presidential autographs
    The football component of my collection pales in comparison to Reese's and Greg's, but occasionally those guys will sell me one of their duplicates that they upgrade. Here's one I picked up recently from Greg, of a guy that doesn't sign a whole lot.

1966 Philadelphia Bob Brown PSA/DNA

• Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Thanks for the compliment! You without question have the most impressive collection I've ever seen!
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
    From the outside looking in, this guy has appeared to have a very interesting life so far.

1963 Topps Astronauts John Glenn PSA/DNA

These cards are a bit bigger then standard sized trading cards, but hey, I'm not too picky. Signed rookie of the former President of the United States.

1978 Sportscaster Gerald Ford JSA

Two very nice additions Mike.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Sportscasters are great for autographs.........
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Josh is an interesting fellow. One of the premier players in the game today, but seems to have a lot more self induced issues then most. I see him all the time from my following the Rangers and he has some pretty wide mood swings compared to most people. I'm not one that is going to either badger him for his personal life or hold him on too high of a pedestal for his baseball ability. However, the human side of me hopes he keeps it together for himself and his family. A great Rangers baseball player, and happy to finally add him to my signed rookie card collection

1999 Bowman Josh Hamilton

• TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Josh is an interesting fellow. One of the premier players in the game today, but seems to have a lot more self induced issues then most. I see him all the time from my following the Rangers and he has some pretty wide mood swings compared to most people. I'm not one that is going to either badger him for his personal life or hold him on too high of a pedestal for his baseball ability. However, the human side of me hopes he keeps it together for himself and his family. A great Rangers baseball player, and happy to finally add him to my signed rookie card collection

1999 Bowman Josh Hamilton

image >>

Did you acquire that second-hand, or did you get him to sign it yourself?
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro

<< <i>

<< <i>

Did you acquire that second-hand, or did you get him to sign it yourself? >>

Michael

I got it second hand. I had it vetted on a couple boards, including one made up of fellow Rangers hawkers before I purchased it. Josh has several styles of sigs over the years so I wanted to make sure I got a good one before I bought it. I do need to get me one in person too, the Topps traded one, but I have to get the unsigned card first. He signs every now and then at the games.

Mike
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike:

You probably saw this but there is a guy on the Net54 board selling a signed Josh Hamilton 1999 Hudson Valley Grandstand card.................

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    IMF,

Thanks, yep I spied that one but so far we haven't been able to agree on a price.

Mike
    Since the Irish had a rather successful game in Ireland today, I thought it would be a good day to add this one. A Notre Dame Hall of Famer.

1948 Leaf George Connor

• Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Nice George Connor! Those 48 Leafs are tough to find centered. That one presents very well!
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
    This is the newest card in my collection. Special thanks to board member five7teen as this was received as a gift from him.

This guy has a nasty assortment of pitches. If his control gets a little bit better, he has the potential to be one of the most dominating pitchers in the game. Has been far better than my expectations for him at the start of the year. Has had a couple of games this year that have made his stats a little worse than his overall body of work, IMO. I am currently watching him mow down Kansas City so I decided to add this card to my thread. He has a perfect game through 5 so far.

2012 Allen & Ginter Mini Yu Darvish

Picked this one up today on ebay for about $23 including shipping. Has some surface wear but I'll happily take it for basically the price of slabbing.

1999 Grandstand Hudson Valley Renegades Josh Hamilton SGC/JSA

ebay seller came through so I am editing this message
    Picked this one up from a fellow board member a short while back. Despite some obvious flaws, the card displays well and is centered nicely for this issue.

1948 Leaf Sam Baugh PSA/DNA

I haven't added a hockey card in awhile, and this one was being offered for sale by a board member and it caught my eye. I like off the beaten path type cards like this.

1983 Canadian National Mario Lemieux PSA/DNA

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike this is another tremendous addition to your amazing collection!!!

I just so happened to be flipping through the SMR that was closest on the table while watching TV and it was yours. I think I must have overlooked a few cards the first time I saw it as a few looked like I had seen them for the first time.

Unreal stuff. Mantle, Ali, this list goes on and on. Congratulations once more and keep pouring it on!!!
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭✭
    Now you need the Yzerman to go with the Lemieux, not to mention the Andreychuk that is in the set too. image
    WTG Mike ... those last two additions are real nice!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• u always got the killer stuff mike
    Although most of my business goes to PSA/DNA, every now and then, James Spence comes down to Beckett on a Saturday and I like to hangout, talk shop, and get a few cards done. It's always nice not having to worry about shipping as well. He was down this past weekend and I got these done. I did have one card fail, and it was one that failed PSA/DNA as well. I believe it's my first ever card that has failed both services, a 1990 Pro Set Emmitt Smith (never did care much for the Cowboys, LOL) Nevertheless, as you can see below, it was a good weekend

• canjondcanjond Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    Love the Munson!
    For information on baseball-related cigarette and tobacco packs, visit www.baseballandtobacco.com.
    How come one has "BVG" on the title? How much does Jsa charge to holder those on site?
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How come one has "BVG" on the title? How much does Jsa charge to holder those on site? >>

If memory serves me correctly the BVG stands for "Beckett Vintage Grading". Since the Munson is a vintage card, it got the vintage header. The others are all modern and came under the normal Beckett grading header.

As to cost....I will let Mike fill you in on that as I honestly have no idea.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!

<< <i>How come one has "BVG" on the title? How much does Jsa charge to holder those on site? >>

BVG is what Beckett uses for cards that are older then a certain date. It stands for Beckett Vintage Grading I believe. I don't know that the cutoff year is for BVG as I don't submit a whole lot to Beckett. For the onsite same day turnaround (takes about 2-3 hours for the whole process usually), it's $20 for most autographed cards, with higher valued cards like the Munson, substantially more.

Mike
    Ya, but it's worth it. That Thurman has to incredibly rare & I'm sure is worth quite a lot. Is it something like $250 card value=$35.00?
    The Manning turned out beautifully & might have to use JSA cause PSA didn't slab another one he signed for me in his college uniform.

<< <i>Ya, but it's worth it. That Thurman has to incredibly rare & I'm sure is worth quite a lot. Is it something like $250 card value=$35.00?
    The Manning turned out beautifully & might have to use JSA cause PSA didn't slab another one he signed for me in his college uniform. >>

Manning was $20 to slab and Munson was $75.

Mike
  • As a fellow autograph collector, I have to say "Really impressive stuff". It is nice to see a Piazza RC that you can actually read his signature.
  • That is probably the most impressive collection I have ever seen. One question. Is that really a Saddam Hussein autograph??? How ever did you ever get that?
    Ted Giannoulas, also known as The KGB Chicken, The San Diego Chicken, The Famous Chicken, and probably a few others, is perhaps the most famous mascot in all of sports. I got to go to a few games a year growing up, and the Chicken game, was one I always hoped we would get tickets for. Great times! It took me a while to find this card.

1979 Deans Photo Family Fun Centers The KGB Chicken

<< <i>That is probably the most impressive collection I have ever seen. One question. Is that really a Saddam Hussein autograph??? How ever did you ever get that? >>

Thanks mygotta. Yes, it is an authentic Hussein autograph. The Hussein autograph is from an Iraqi administrative decree that Saddam issued back in the 80's. Before the war, Saddam was an incredibly tough autograph to get. You could usually only find him on official State presentation gifts, such as on presentation cards for gold watches, official state photos, etc. It was not uncommon that his signature would fetch four figures and more. Then, the US Soldiers uncovered several books full of these administrative decrees that were brought back from Iraq as souvenirs. I purchased some from a couple different soldiers, and I had mine translated by a language institute in Dallas, and they are just run of the mill decrees. The custom cut was made by inserting the autograph in between two authentic proset Hussein cards and cutting the window out of one of them. Basically, it's creating a mini-frame job on a card. Board member "TheHun" put this one together for me.

Mike
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭
    Thats a cool chicken card.
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Ted Giannoulas could be a bit....shall we say...tough to work with. I had a friend who was his assistant during games for a year and would basically be his shadow to insure that he was able to get where he needed to go during the game (And insure no kids would pull his tail etc). He was a great entertainer but just could be a bear to work with and very demanding of those who worked with him.

Nice card. I wonder if he would sign his full name if one would ask him.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • ledstersledsters Posts: 603 ✭✭
    ..."I wonder if he would sign his full name if one would ask him."

Got these back today:

Very nice Mike. I see you have THE BABE up for sale ... best of luck.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>Very nice Mike. I see you have THE BABE up for sale ... best of luck. >>

Thanks Doug,

Yep, the Babe is up for sale. I want to go to the USC/Notre Dame game IF it means something so I'll move the Babe if necessary
    Would also trade to enhance my signed rookie collection for autographed cards such as

1948 Leaf or 1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson
    1948 Leaf or 1949 Bowman Satchell Paige
    1949 Bowman Roy Campanella
    1948 Leaf Hal Newhouser
    1939 Playball Ted Williams
    1952 Topps Eddie Mathews
    1952 Topps Hoyt Wilhelm

Mike
    Nice to see that Gorby slabbed. I was hoping to pull 2 of them out of that box and try to talk you into getting one signed for me. I only got one though.
    Sorry, I was cut and pasting a scan out of here and accidentally bumped the thread. Nothing to add at this time
    A member of the Chicago White Sox for his entire playing career, Appling was elected to the HOF in 1964. A 7 time All Star, he even belted a home run off of Warren Spahn in a 1982 Old Timers game at the age of 75!!

1934 Goudey Luke Appling PSA/DNA

• jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that is a fantastic looking card with a beautiful signature. Congrats on another awesome addition to your collection.
  • Great looking card image
    Woohoo! Finally picked up a nice example of a signed Newhouser rookie. This exhibit predates his more popular and much more expensive 1948/49 Leaf card. I constantly keep a watch for this one to show up on ebay and finally got one. Not an expensive card by any stretch, but one I've been searching for awhile now.

1939-1946 Salutation Exhibits Hal Newhouser PSA/DNA (the checkerboard looking pattern is not on the card, it's just compression tricks with the jpg)

Awesome pickup.