Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Although he played his whole career with the Evil Empire, I decided to pick this one up anyways. I figure it wasn't Jorge's fault that the Yankees drafted him, LOL.

I had his regular Bowman rookie, but saw this one on ebay and couldn't pass it up. I don't have too many signed rookies that have been red flipped graded a 10 so happy to add this one. A serviceable catcher that I think has an outside chance of getting into the HOF one day.

1994 Bowman's Best Jorge Posada PSA 10

Buying US Presidential autographs
    image After literally months of negotiations and contemplations, I came to an agreement with a fellow board member to add this one to my collection. While Dimaggio had an earlier minor league card, I believe this came out in his first year of major league cards and it pictures him in a spring training game with the Yankees. Fantastic issue. You might wonder why Mr. Coffee is wearing number 18 and while researching the issue, I came across a post on Net54 Archives that explained it:

Source; Richard Cramer's bio, "JOE DIMAGGIO The Hero's Life"

Ch6 p78;
    1936... Joe heads east for the first time, along with Crosetti and Lazzeri. They drive for more than a week, from San Fran to St Petersburg for Yankees spring training. Furthur into the chapter on page 80, it is mentioned that Joe walked onto Miller Huggins Field wearing uniform number 18.

One of, if not the earliest cards to picture Joe D. in a major league uniform. With this addition, I'm getting really close to wrapping up most of the modern guys of the baseball component of my signed rookie card collection. Really excited to add this one.

1936 R313 National Chicle Joltin' Joe Dimaggio JSA/BGS

• halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a great piece
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

Great pick-up! DiMaggio's autograph is not terribly valuable compared to others, but on an early piece like that it definitely is!
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

That is amazing! Love it!After watching this thread from the start,I always tell myself I should start
    a signed card project myself,well after seeing this one,I'm in!Thanks Mike..
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • That is a great addition Mike, congrats on landing it.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... AWESOME addition. CONGRATS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    SWEET addition Mike!
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭

Congrats on the nice addition, that is an incredible looking card WTG!!!!
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    That's a gorgeous sig, Mike!! Great pickup.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Your welcome and I hate to get rid of it but I have something else special coming in,
    Dan
    This Hall of Fame coach led some great teams, most notably the greatest collection of basketball talent ever assembled, the US Olympic original "Dream Team".

1989 Hoops Chuck Daly PSA/DNA

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭
    Hated the Pistons, but liked Daly. Nice pickup!
    I am often asked what is my favorite signed "card" in my collection. Without hesitation, it is this one. It's actually a magazine premium issued between 1910 and 1917 that has been trimmed down to what you see now. It's the closest I'll ever come to having a Ty Cobb signed rookie. I purchased it last year unslabbed and added it to my thread then. I decided to take it on my visit to BGS today in Dallas to get it identified for sure as a M113. I primarily utlize PSA, but whenever James Spence comes down to Beckett, I like to go hang out and spend some time there, and see the neat things that walk in, and learn a little in the process. I spent several hours today and left with my Ty Cobb slabbed up beautifully and correctly identified on the flip as a 1910-1917 M113. It did receive an "altered" status, but that is to be expected with the trim job and with the black paper pasted to the back. My main goal was getting it slabbed correctly, and not as a Ty Cobb cut or Ty Cobb signed photo, etc. $23 and change and a few hours and I was out the door with this:

1910-1917 Ty Cobb M113 JSA/BGS slabbed

• Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Dam Mike, that is seriously awesome! No wonder why it's your favorite, it's beautiful.

Congrats!
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is AWESOME!!!

• onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Ok, now you are just showing out! The Cobb is fantastic........whay else can i say?
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Awesome!
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    great cobb!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Mike .. that is simply fantastic!
    The last few months has been relatively kind to my signed rookie card collection. I picked this one up a couple months ago from a friend. One of the tougher ones to find of the post war potential future HOF'ers. I've seen a couple others, including one which has a totally messed up back. This one is relatively nice with a nice pen sig. If he ever gets in, this one will be very desirous to HOF signed RC collectors.

1949 Bowman Gil Hodges PSA/DNA

• pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭

1910-1917 Ty Cobb M113 JSA/BGS slabbed

I just wanted to post it again...it's that cool!!!

So what kind of cool stuff did Spence bring in? Was he gawking over your Cobb?

<< <i>
    I just wanted to post it again...it's that cool!!!

So what kind of cool stuff did Spence bring in? Was he gawking over your Cobb? >>

Thanks image He had already seen my Cobb as it had a full letter from JSA already. I really think he likes my signed wrestling cards better than my Cobb, LOL. Last time I was up there, he mentioned that he'd like to buy them for his own collection if I ever decided to sell He said he sees a ton of Ruth's, Gehrig, etc, so they get to be old hat to him, but that he likes nice obscure items like my Andre the Giant signed rookie card. There were some really neat pieces that came through the door this past Saturday. Saw a few different cool single signed balls - a couple Babe Ruth, Walter Johnson, etc. Seemed like everyone that came had a Mantle or a fake Mantle. His exemplar collection is very impressive. He keeps it stored systematically on his laptop. Within the subjects, it seems they are sorted by player, then further by year, and then further by real or forgery, secretarial, etc.

Mike
    Got this back in the Christmas season from board member Ironmanfan as a gift. Thanks Bill! Ripken was responsible for all the hype of the famous Fleer card with the expletive on the bat knob. Was a gritty player, and I can speak from personal experience when he played for the Rangers, was a relatively tough autograph. I used to graph all the time at the Rangers games and he would sign one per season for me. Was generally a nice guy though.

1988 Topps Bill Ripken

Picked this one up several weeks ago and with his win today, perhaps a good time to add it to my thread. I've already gotten one of these that has been JSA/BGS graded, so I needed a PSA/DNA one as well image Tiger does not sign cards through the UDA send in program, and I've heard he doesn't sign them on the course anymore either. Very tough card to find signed. I've seen two of them, and grabbed them both. The greatest golfer of the past 20 years bar none, and perhaps the greatest of all time. I often find it humorous how people let his personal life impact their view of him quite negatively, while many of those same people zealously cheer for football, baseball, basketball and hockey players that have also had their own fair share of "transgressions".

1998 Grand Slam Ventures Masters Collection Tiger Woods PSA/DNA

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickups Mike. I especially like the Gil Hodges as a Mets fan. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

<< <i>Nice pickups Mike. I especially like the Gil Hodges as a Mets fan. image >>

Thanks, hopefully Hodges gets in one day. He should be there already IMO.

Mike
  • The Tiger is impressive. I know where you stand with him. On the course more than amazing..
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
    Bought these 4 from a fellow board member. They should be arriving in Texas any day now. Of the 4, Vizquel probably has the best chance of landing in the HOF. Fernando was a favorite growing up. Charboneau was a pop culture icon, LOL, and Delgado was a fairly solid slugger. Both the Vizquel and Delgado are on PSA's "Future HOF Rookie Players" set registry list, so if I ever decide to play that game, I'll have an example for my set.

1992 Bowman Carlos Delgado

1989 Upper Deck Omar Vizquel

1981 Topps Traded Fernando Valenzuela

1981 Topps Joe Charboneau

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickups Mike. And out of all of them, Omar was probably the least likely to be considered a HOF player when he first started playing. Funny how things turn out sometimes.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

<< <i>Nice pickups Mike. And out of all of them, Omar was probably the least likely to be considered a HOF player when he first started playing. Funny how things turn out sometimes. >>

Yep, it's been fun over the years watching heralded rookies flop, and run of the mill "no names" flourish. Part of the joy and lure of sports. I always hate seeing my favorite teams trade solid, proven talent for a bunch of prospects, but when it works out, it sets up years of victories (recent success of Texas Rangers largely due to their youngsters and farm system development)

Omar spent some time here in Texas and he seemed to be a pretty good guy from the public personna that was shown. I hope he gets his due when his time comes.

Mike
  • samspopsamspop Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

I am not sure if I have ever seen his signature before. That is one nice autograph!!
    Fernando was awesome
  • The Vizquel is very nice. Valenzuela's prime was a little before my time. The Delgado is also cool. Vizquel should be a Hall of Famer the second greatest defensive shortstop after Ozzie Smith and 2,841 hits, 450 doubles and 400 sbs. 11 Gold Gloves, only drawback to him is just 3 Times an All-Star because Ripken, Arod, and Jeter.
    One good thing about the celebrity golf tourneys is that the sigs are RELATIVELY easy to get, but the bad thing is that a lot of times, they look absolutely crappy. This one was signed at Michael Jordan's tourney last week for a SCN member. While it's very sloppy, it IS Super Mario. I already have the regular Lemieux rookie but I still needed the "leaders" card. One thing going for it is the classic OPC rough cut. Neat card.

1985 OPC Mario Lemieux "Leaders"

Congrats Mike. Can't complain about the auto for the price!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    One of the most iconic images in Olympic history. Card was issued during the late 70's as part of the multiyear set known as "Sportscasters". I met Dr. John Carlos back in November and got two 20x30's of this image autographed and got to listen to a great speech from him as well. Since then, I've been wanting to add their "rookie" to my collection. I believe this is the first "card" issued of the moment. It was signed 9 days ago by both Smith and Carlos and gotten by my friend Jeserone out in California. Neat addition to the Olympics component of my collection

Late 1970's Sportscaster Dr. John Carlos and Tommie Smith

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup Mike!
    This card was on my sigline wantlist for a LONG time. Very tough to find as this popular regional star is snatched up by Whiz Kid collectors relatively quickly. I just noticed that the 4 year anniversary of my thread here just passed, so thought I would add to my thread one of my former "White Whales" A 6 time All Star, and 2 time National League batting champion. Made the HOF in 1995 through the Veteran's Committee.

1949 Bowman Richie Ashburn PSA/DNA

Congrats on crossing another toughie off the list!
  • Congrats Mike on 4 years with this baby!! Just an outstanding thread.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Congrats Mike. Takes a lot of focus to keep on the project for 4 years like you have!!!

<< <i>Takes a lot of focus to keep on the project for 4 years like you have!!! >>

Thanks guys. I occasionally stray off focus when I see something neat, but that's what adds to my hobby fun. I just try to stray a little bit, LOL, but always end up back at home (signed rookies) at the end of the night.

Mike
    Before I got started collecting signed rookie cards, I collected Presidential autographs. Party affiliation doesn't matter to me (so please don't start that type of nonsense or bashing), I collect them all. My favorite signed rookies, are those that combine my collecting interests. i am stoked to add one of my new favorite top 10 rookie cards in my collection. I saw it listed on ebay and worked out a deal with the seller. I think the listing is still up (I need to notify the seller to take it down), but I now physically have the card in my possession. Since the graph is in silver, my scanner has a difficult time picking up the contrast, but with the naked eye, it looks outstanding. I added a pic with my camera phone from an angle to show the quality of the sig.

One of the more moving moments of the 2001 season.

2001 Fleer Platinum RC President George W. Bush JSA

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭
    The back should also mention that with 40 pounds of body armor and the weight of a greiving nation... He fired a strike right down the middle of the plate. Showing the world and the scumbag terrorists that our way of life will not be detoured, we will not hide in a cave and freedom will reign. Bush had his flaws but this was one of his best moments. Great card and auto and god bless the USA. I hope your saddam card is fearful knowing this gem is getting added to the collection
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    Mike ... once again a real nice addition to your collection. I hope you don't mind me adding my card to this thread, but based on what Eagle had to say below I just thought it was appropriate.

<< <i>The back should also mention that with 40 pounds of body armor and the weight of a grieving nation... He fired a strike right down the middle of the plate. Showing the world and the scumbag terrorists that our way of life will not be detoured, we will not hide in a cave and freedom will reign. Bush had his flaws but this was one of his best moments. Great card and auto and god bless the USA. I hope your saddam card is fearful knowing this gem is getting added to the collection >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Former General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union and winner of the 1990 Nobel Peace Prize.

1991 Pro Set Mikhail Gorbachev

The logistical difficulty of obtaining an autograph on that card boggles the mind.

<< <i>The logistical difficulty of obtaining an autograph on that card boggles the mind. >>

Gorby is actually not as tough as you might think. Back in the early 90's, he signed under contract with Scoreboard, mainly on baseballs and photos of he and Reagan together. Now, I believe he is a professor at a university in the United States, and he occasionally gives lectures/speeches that have meet and greets for $$$'s.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    That DiMaggio card is super nice Mike. Never knew that existed, thanks sharing these pickups.