Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭

That Puckett is amazing! It is definitely one of the most difficult cards to find signed out of the postwar HOF rc's.
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    That Puckett didn't happen to come out of a Leaf box, did it? If so, that was one of a few "winning" Leaf boxes. image
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... I see an Apollo 11 custom card in Mike's collection in the future... >>

Michael, I picked up this sweet Neil Armstrong a couple days ago, it's too nice to make into a custom cut though, I'm considering adding Aldrin and Collins to it at their 2012 signings but I haven't decided yet, I really don't need to start collecting astronauts too except on cards, so I'll probably end up selling it. I got $1200 for a personalized Armstrong index card back in December 2010 and had several people that wanted to buy it, so this one should do a bit better as it's a gorgeous signature on a 7 x 10 piece of stationary that would frame up beautifully.

Matt,

I bought the Puckett from one of my friends that was selling several of his HOF signed rookies. He has an amazing collection and has allowed me to buy several of his signed rookies for my collection.

MacrosB,

Sounds like you have a great sister. I don't have a wantlist posted, but I'll try and make one over the next couple of weeks and get it posted up.

Woohoo! My Irish just beat #1 rated Syracuse. About time they did something right image
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Great addition Mike!

Best Regards!
    Buying or trading for these signed Jeter rc's:
    1992 GCL, 93 Stadium Club, 93 Greensboro,, 93 South Atlantic League, 93 Topps Marlins & Rockies,, 94 Classic Tampa, 94 Procards Tampa, 94 Florida State League & 95 Columbus Clippers.

This guy can sling it down the field pretty well. A lot of fun to watch, and he also led my fantasy team to the championship this year in my money league here. One of his many rookie cards from 2001.

2001 Topps Drew Brees

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... Brees is a very nice addition.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Love the Brees! Boiler UP!!!!!
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb Puckett, Mike!

Shane

I've been looking for one of these in earnest since 2008. I had contacted a board member back in November of 2008 that had one, and we came to an agreement this week for me to buy it. I got within one bid of one a month or so ago, but alas, that was not to be. This one was signed late in 2000, just several months before his passing from kidney issues with his typical late in life signature. As a 9 year old watching the Pirates run in 1979 on TV with my dad, with their vivid uniforms and "We are family" theme song, I always had a fondness for Stargell. Back then, my family didn't have a lot of extra income, and I owned 3 big league replica ball caps, that were some of my most prized possessions that I wore EVERYWHERE, a Texas Rangers one, a Houston Astros one, and a Pittsburgh Pirates one that my dad got me. Without further introduction:

1963 Topps Willie Stargell

Way to go Mike, I know you've been scouring the world looking for that one!
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Nice Mike! Is that every 48-pres HOFer for you now? If not, who are you still missing?

<< <i>Nice Mike! Is that every 48-pres HOFer for you now? If not, who are you still missing? >>

I think he is still missing the 1952 Eddie Mathews, I'm not sure if there are any others.
  • great find... I've been looking for one of those for a few years too!
  • CWCW Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Stargell auto! Congrats!

That signature looks fake to me. image

Congrats, Mike. Good luck on that 52 Eddie Mathews

Shane

• daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Mike! First the Puckett and now the Stargell. Nice to see you find some of the toughies that you've been looking for.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is WOW!! As a lifetime Pittsburgh Pirate fan that is a fabulous auto and card. I hope to obtain a signed 63 Stargell in the future. Mike, like you, I still remember at the age of 9 watching the 79 World Series with my dad and the joy we both experienced with the Bucos winning the series coming back from down 3-1 in the series.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭
    congrats Mike! Being an Orioles fan, I never had much love for Pops & the Buccos, but I know how important this is for your collection!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG Mike ... now I know why you sold the Orr Rookie that you just picked up! ENJOY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding pickup, one I know you've been after for a while.

He was a special man and that card is all the cooler for that fact.
    Thanks guys, that one has been a particularly tough one to come by. There are 3 more that I need in order to complete the Topps run of HOF signed rookie cards. 1952 Hoyt Wilhelm (was underbidder on one in December), 1952 Eddie Mathews (have seen several of these, just haven't wanted to pay the price yet), 1955 Roberto Clemente (this one will be expensive, have seen a few sell for $4000-$7500 or so). My goal for my collection for 2012 was to knock at least one off of my prime wantlist and I was able to accomplish that with the Stargell. I guess I'll have to spend the remaining 11 months hoping to knock off one more while adding other signed rookie cards that catch my eye along the way. I keep telling myself that one of these days I need to make it to a National again (haven't been since the last one in Texas), but I haven't stopped buying cards long enough to work that trip into the budget yet (and probably one of the main reasons is I really don't like to fly unless absolutely necessary and taking a trip to a card show doesn't meet my definition of necessary, sure wish they'd have another one in Texas). It always comes down to: Do I want a couple thousand dollars worth in new signed rookies or do I want to go to the National, and the new additions to the collection always seems to win. I wish there was someone else in my family that enjoyed collecting these like I do, and then we'd have fun going to the National together, but there's not. For those of you that have close collecting friends amongst your family to share your passion, consider yourself very lucky.

Mike

<< <i>I wish there was someone else in my family that enjoyed collecting these like I do, and then we'd have fun going to the National together, but there's not. For those of you that have close collecting friends amongst your family to share your passion, consider yourself very lucky. >>

Amen to that! At least my wife tolerates it and appreciates it and my 11 year old son show interest.

Shane

• brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Hey Mike,

We are having an upcoming Horror Movie convention here in Ohio called Horrorhound in March. I don't know if you collect a lot of celebrity sigs but the link is below and some actresses like Pam Grier, Judith O'Dea, Julia Adams and many more are going to be there. I was told by a buddy some of the women that are going to be in attendence are pretty hard sigs. If you see anyone you would be interested in I would love to help you out with adding to your impressive collection.

HorrorHound Columbus, OH MARCH 23-25
    I have to admit, when I was a young man back in 1991, these two ladies could definitely float my boat. Two of the divas from Beverly Hills 90210. Fun additions to the entertainment component of my collection.

1991 Topps Beverly Hills 90210 Shannon Doherty and Jennie Garth

• Are those Star Pics certified autos? I have been looking for a number of SNL ones for about 5-10 years. I am just curious. Those are awesome!

<< <i>Are those Star Pics certified autos? I have been looking for a number of SNL ones for about 5-10 years. I am just curious. Those are awesome! >>

Thanks. No, they aren't Star Pics if you are asking about Shannon and Jennie.

Take care,

Mike
  • That picture of Jennie is odd???

The Doherty Auto fetches some decent money, I sold one last summer through Leaf.

Great stuff as always..
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • What company are they? I am just curious. PS I am a huge ND fan. I have been to many games in my life (I love SOUTH BEND)!!!
    (

<< <i>What company are they? I am just curious. PS I am a huge ND fan. I have been to many games in my life (I love SOUTH BEND)!!!
    ( >>

The cards were put out by Topps. The autographs were obtained by a friend. They were not issued signed in packs.

Bruno's Pizza in South Bend is the best, LOL.

Mike

<< <i>Hey Mike,

We are having an upcoming Horror Movie convention here in Ohio called Horrorhound in March. I don't know if you collect a lot of celebrity sigs but the link is below and some actresses like Pam Grier, Judith O'Dea, Julia Adams and many more are going to be there. I was told by a buddy some of the women that are going to be in attendence are pretty hard sigs. If you see anyone you would be interested in I would love to help you out with adding to your impressive collection.

HorrorHound Columbus, OH MARCH 23-25 >>

Just noticed your post. Thank you, I'll go check out the website. I appreciate the offer.

Mike
  • I prefer Sorins. I am old though. I was there for many 90s Bettis/Brooks/Mirer/Dawson/DuBose affairs. Those are my heydays of ND. I stll love the Rocket and many others, but I will never, ever forget Jerome Bettis catching a 2 point conversion against Penn State in the early 90s. I also love ND hoops and was a huge LaPhonso Ellis and Monty Williams fan. I am actually friend with LaPhonso and he is a geat guy.

<< <i>I prefer Sorins. I am old though. I was there for many 90s Bettis/Brooks/Mirer/Dawson/DuBose affairs. Those are my heydays of ND. I stll love the Rocket and many others, but I will never, ever forget Jerome Bettis catching a 2 point conversion against Penn State in the early 90s. I also love ND hoops and was a huge LaPhonso Ellis and Monty Williams fan. I am actually friend with LaPhonso and he is a geat guy. >>

I wouldn't be surprised if we happened to bump into each other back then. I was there from 89 to 93. Used to always play pickup ball at the Rock. Played in a lot of pickup games with Monty, and a few with the rest of the guys you mentioned except Demetrius. I don't ever remember him playing pickup. I haven't seen Monty in a couple of years, but he was my roommates good friend and Monty and I served as co best men in my roommates wedding in the late 90's. Made for some funny looking pictures cause my roommate was about 5 ft tall, I'm about 5'10 and Monty is pretty tall. We spent a lot of time in college hanging out, playing Nintendo, eating Bruno's, playing golf, pickup ball etc. He's a good, quality guy. Was real proud for him with his first year of head coaching with New Orleans.

I remember LaPhonso as being real solid and was very quick to dunk on mine (and everyone elses) head, LOL. I didn't know LaPhonso away from the pickup games though. Seemed to be a good dude.

Funny tidbit about Lake Dawson since you mentioned him. I got a knock on my dorm room door one night and opened it up and Lake was standing there. Monty had told him about my pet caiman and Lake wanted to see it and play with it. I kept telling him he was going to get bitten but he just had to try it. Caiman got him on the hand and we all had a big laugh at that (even Lake once he got through shaking his hand back and forth from pain, LOL)

Mike

PS - I have to beg to differ on the pizza though, nothing beats Bruno's

• That's awesome. Did you know Lake was up for GM jobs this year? It is pretty cool. I hope he gets it sooner than later. I love all those guys. It almost seems like a different world from now to then. I saw Jimmy Clausen on campus and he was a total dbag. Any thoughts on that? I hope Gunnar can pick up and lead them to the promised land. I am from Cleveland and we though Brady was gonna do that for us here. I feel bad that he is behind baby Jesus on the depth charts in Denver. He really works hard and just doesn't have the talent. I tried to talk to him about how Rick played for about 12 years in the league and how he should be proud of that--he really poopooed that and got offended.
  • Ps that pizza looks insanely good right now. I would love to be on route 80 headed for ND and waiting for that.

<< <i>That's awesome. Did you know Lake was up for GM jobs this year? It is pretty cool. I hope he gets it sooner than later. I love all those guys. It almost seems like a different world from now to then. I saw Jimmy Clausen on campus and he was a total dbag. Any thoughts on that? I hope Gunnar can pick up and lead them to the promised land. I am from Cleveland and we though Brady was gonna do that for us here. I feel bad that he is behind baby Jesus on the depth charts in Denver. He really works hard and just doesn't have the talent. I tried to talk to him about how Rick played for about 12 years in the league and how he should be proud of that--he really poopooed that and got offended. >>

Will send you a PM in a few minutes, we can talk there so the board doesn't have to see Notre Dame reminiscing (sp?) and feel compelled to tell us both how bad ND has been for awhile now, LOL.

Mike
    Member of the World Golf Hall of Fame. I'm not 100% sure this is his rookie card. Can any of the golf collectors chime in?

1979 Venorlandus Nick Faldo

Always one of my favorite athletes to add to my signed rookie card collection, I've got a few different Jordan signed "rookies" but there was still a couple more on my wantlist, so I'm glad to check this one off. Quite simply put, one of, if not THE, best basketball player of all time, his Royal Airness, Michael Jordan. I'm one of the few people I know, that actually enjoyed his HOF induction speech. I thought it was refreshing to see someone actually speak toward their greatness and what drove them internally, as opposed to all the rah, rah, I'm so humbled to be here stuff that most of the athletes speak at those times, when you know dang well, the majority actually think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. image

1986 Fleer Sticker Michael Jordan PSA/DNA

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike is this the one Wcsports1 auctioned off a few months ago?

<< <i>Mike is this the one Wcsports1 auctioned off a few months ago? >>

David,

Not sure, it might be, but that's not who I purchased it from.

Mike
    Awesome either way!

There was a MJ 86 Fleer signed go for like $4,300 the other night. You have to love that!

<< <i>Awesome either way!

There was a MJ 86 Fleer signed go for like $4,300 the other night. You have to love that! >>

Thanks, yeah, I enjoy seeing the signed rookies go for high prices (especially when I have them) I earnestly believe that signed rookie cards are still one of the best buys in the hobby, and still have a TON of price appreciation left in them. I think it's one of the segments of the sportscard market that has a lot of room to grow and that will attract future buyers due to it's crossover appeal between cards and graphs. Much like you've done with the Wrestling All Stars, I've been willing to put my hobby dollars where my hobby mouth is, and if I ever decide to sell in the future, I think I'll be happy I did.

Mike
    It seems to me that the market for signed rare cards or in many cases rookie cards is on fire and the blaze is spreading. Now that the stigma that a signed rookie card ruins the card is gone and in many cases enhances it this segment has to go higher.

One of the great advantages to this segment is for years it was considered a no no to get the rookies signed so that has restricted supply. In the auction for the Jordan that did so well it says he no longer will sign his rookie.

If that is true these cards have no where to go but up!!!!!!!

Yes Mike we are both the same in that aspect that we do put our money where our mouth is!

<< <i>Now that the stigma that a signed rookie card ruins the card is gone and in many cases enhances it this segment has to go higher.

Yes Mike we are both the same in that aspect that we do put our money where our mouth is! >>

When I first started collecting these, I used to get PM's of unsolicited advice with stuff such as "you should get other cards signed, not rookies", "autographs will hurt the value of rookie cards", etc. etc. I used to always just reply and write something along the lines of "thanks for the advice, but it's what I LIKE". I've always tried to collect what I actually enjoy, and then it really doesn't matter what the values do in the future, but it is nice to see them progress as the days tick by.

I will still occasionally get someone that will tell me the same old stuff, "Dude, don't get that card signed". That's one of the great things about our hobby, to each his own! If everyone liked the same stuff, it would be both boring and wicked expensive.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the 86 sticker Mike.

Your collection is beyond impressive! Thanx.
    Mike
    If anyone happens to run across an autographed 1952 Topps Hoyt Wilhelm available for sale, I'd appreciate a heads up through PM. Thanks!

Mike
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I first started collecting these, I used to get PM's of unsolicited advice with stuff such as "you should get other cards signed, not rookies", "autographs will hurt the value of rookie cards", etc. etc. I used to always just reply and write something along the lines of "thanks for the advice, but it's what I LIKE". I've always tried to collect what I actually enjoy, and then it really doesn't matter what the values do in the future, but it is nice to see them progress as the days tick by.

I will still occasionally get someone that will tell me the same old stuff, "Dude, don't get that card signed". That's one of the great things about our hobby, to each his own! If everyone liked the same stuff, it would be both boring and wicked expensive. >>

Different focus for me Mike, but same belief. Although like you, I've noticed the unopened stuff really start to take off too, but there are still opprtunities out there. Great post and congrats on the Jordan auto!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • i for one am stoked to have in my tiny collection a signed al kaline, bill russell, ernie banks and finally hank aaron rookies...the aaron set me back the most.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2

• << <i>If anyone happens to run across an autographed 1952 Topps Hoyt Wilhelm available for sale, I'd appreciate a heads up through PM. Thanks!

Mike >>

Man this has to be a hard one to find. How many do you think are out there? I remember prior to his death, Mr Wilhelm would sign TTM for $10 a pop. I don't think to many people would have sent his 52 due to the value of it. I bet one would sell for a small fortune if it were to hit auction. Good luck with the search Mike!
    I am jealous, Mike. I would love to own a Jordan rookie signed.

I am with you guys about not understanding why people think a signature ruins the value of a card. With that in mind though, here is a question I want to pose. Would you want a PSA 10 1986 Fleer Jordan signed? Would that "ruin" the value? In that case and in my opinion, I think it would simply because of the Set Registry dynamic. The PSA 10 Jordan has a specific market - those that want a GEM MINT card for their set or collection. To get that card signed would not appeal to those people so the value would drop. UNLESS, there is a couple of collectors that would WANT a signed Jordan that is GEM MINT.

(Did I just run around in a circle?)

Shane

A Gem Mint graded Jordan signed with PSA/DNA would bring $25,000+++++.

I think if there is any other trend it is to higher quality signed cards.

The bottom line is Mike has the greatest signed collection of anyone that is known.

It is clear that the rookie card signature market is in a major bull market and I think prices are going dramatically higher for many.