Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Thank you Mike. This is my favorite thread on the board. I am always excited to see it up at the top knowing a new treat is inside!

Hook'em and Go Irish

BTW, tell your wonderful wife that I had a prime time seat in the Zone to watch the final kick sail through the uprights on Thanksgiving night. Should I send that ticket stub to Mack & Sherman?
    Hook'em
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Picked this one up from my friend Rob. This athlete won an incredible 10 Olympic medals of which 9 were gold. He was also drafted by both the NBA and the NFL, although I don't believe he ever pursued either venture.

1986 Panini Supersport Carl Lewis

Buying US Presidential autographs

• << <i>Picked this one up from my friend Rob. This athlete won an incredible 10 Olympic medals of which 9 were gold. He was also drafted by both the NBA and the NFL, although I don't believe he ever pursued either venture.

1986 Panini Supersport Carl Lewis

image >>

Great athlete, not so great at singing the National Anthem
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    definition of athlete in my opinion....
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Mick Foley has been an entertainer for years and is also a Pro Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame member, Class of 2000. Not an easy card to find. What wrestling fan can forget the famed "Mr. Socko"? Foley puts on a great show.

1995 BBM Cactus Jack (Mick Foley) PSA/DNA

• TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mick Foley has been an entertainer for years and is also a Pro Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame member, Class of 2000. Not an easy card to find. What wrestling fan can forget the famed "Mr. Socko"? Foley puts on a great show.

1995 BBM Cactus Jack (Mick Foley) PSA/DNA

image >>

Now you need to find the first year cards when they call him Dude Love, Mick Foley, and Mankind, and have him autograph each of them with the name on the card image
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now you need to find the first year cards when they call him Dude Love, Mick Foley, and Mankind, and have him autograph each of them with the name on the card image >>

+1

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mick is a real great guy in person. He lives in the same town as I do. Once in a while I'll run into him at the bank ... very personable.

He is REALLY great with donating his time to sick children. When Francesca was in the local hospital when she was first diagnosed, I saw Mick there MANY times visiting with the sick kids. One older boy was a big wrestling fan and Mick was in that kids room SEVERAL times just shooting the breeze with the kid.

Anyone who donates their time and/or money to help sick kids is OK in my book.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Neat card of this popular Yankees HOF shortstop. Rizzuto was a 5 time All Star, 7 time World Series Champion, and the 1950 American League MVP. His number 10 has been retired by the NY Yankees. Despite a relatively recent death, these cards are not very easy to find autographed.

1941 Double Play Phil Rizzuto PSA/DNA

• That Rizzuto is really nice! I am jealous.
    This guy doesn't seem to get his due from people these days. I picked this one up from one of my friends that got it signed in person. Previously I had purchased a 1964 Oliva cause I thought that was his rookie, because I didn't know he was depicted with his brother's name Pedro on the 1963 card. Oliva eventually legally changed his name in the 90's to accept Pedro as part of it. He was an 8x All Star, the 1964 AL Rookie of the Year and won a gold glove in 1966

1963 Topps Tony Oliva

• jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Nice 41 Russuto! I have seen a lot of "rc's" signed by him but I have never seen that card signed, very cool.
  • I'm amazed by the older cards you have that are signed. Very sweet collection!
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always great new additions Mike. You're right about the Oliva, great hitter who got over looked. Oliva won 3 batting titles and finished 2nd twice in the MVP race ('65 & '70)

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This guy doesn't seem to get his due from people these days. I picked this one up from one of my friends that got it signed in person. Previously I had purchased a 1964 Oliva cause I thought that was his rookie, because I didn't know he was depicted with his brother's name Pedro on the 1963 card. Oliva eventually legally changed his name in the 90's to accept Pedro as part of it. He was an 8x All Star, the 1964 AL Rookie of the Year and won a gold glove in 1966

1963 Topps Tony Oliva

image >>

You should be able to add the other three guys

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    This guy was a little before my time, but he was a popular player that I found interesting when I learned about him. Card is signed beautifully on the reverse. I normally don't care for cards signed on the reverse, but this one doesn't pop up too often so I decided "What the heck, why not?"

1964 Topps Tony Conigliaro PSA/DNA (signed on reverse)

here's the front:

Tony Conigliaro is (obviously) my favorite player. I have many autographs, but I don't have one of those. Congrats!
    A fixture of the Braves for the past 20 years or so. I already had him represented with a 1991 Topps, but I saw this one on the BST last month and picked it up as well.

1991 UD Chipper Jones PSA/DNA

My first new pickup of 2012.

Still haven't managed to find myself a 1990 Topps Bush yet, but I picked up this nice 1991 Topps Desert Storm Bush tonight. I've got a couple other signed Bush cards, but I can't pass up a President at a decent price. Former leader of the free world.

1991 Topps Desert Storm George H. W. Bush SGC/JSA

Great addition Mike!

Have you ever seen the 1990 Topps signed?

<< <i>Great addition Mike!

Have you ever seen the 1990 Topps signed? >>

Thanks, no I haven't seen it signed. I have seen a couple unsigned at Memory Lane if my memory serves me correctly. Also, a board member had one at one point. If I could find a reasonably priced unsigned one, I'd pick it up and try to get it signed myself.

Mike
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭
    Sweet addition. It will look great next to your saddam auto.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

• << <i>My first new pickup of 2012.

Still haven't managed to find myself a 1990 Topps Bush yet, but I picked up this nice 1991 Topps Desert Storm Bush tonight. I've got a couple other signed Bush cards, but I can't pass up a President at a decent price. Former leader of the free world.

1991 Topps Desert Storm George H. W. Bush SGC/JSA

image >>

great card... if you don't mind me asking what do cards like this normally go for?

<< <i>

image >>

great card... if you don't mind me asking what do cards like this normally go for? >>

No problem, this particular one cost me $102.00 including shipping. There reallly is no "normal" price for these as they don't come up too often. Really just depends on who sees it and who wants it. I know that sounds kind of cheesy, but that's what I've found IMO. I could turn right around and put it up for sale (which I won't as I want it for my collection), and it could go from as low as $50 to as high as $300 IMO depending on the marketing and buzzwords and eyes that see it.

Mike
    When I was a young boy, I used to love watching this guy, along with the rest of the team, on TV sports specials. Quite a showman. Member of the Basketball Hall of Fame. Compliments of Ebay Bucks.

1971 Harlem Globetrotters Meadowlark Lemon PSA/DNA

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When I was a young boy, I used to love watching this guy, along with the rest of the team, on TV sports specials. Quite a showman. Member of the Basketball Hall of Fame. Compliments of Ebay Bucks.

1971 Harlem Globetrotters Meadowlark Lemon PSA/DNA

image >>

were those the cards that came from Coco Puffs cereal? I remember getting those when I was a kid

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    That Madowlark is a great pickup. I have been looking for one of those for a while now.
  • UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    How about this one
    1971 Fleer Meadowlark Lemon
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
    Figured I might as well pick one of these up just in case he gets elected to the Presidency. (please no political commentary, thanks!)

2008 Topps Campaign Mitt Romney

I guess Mitt doesn't have much experience signing cards; that or someone hasn't told him where he is supposed to sign yet. image

<< <i>I guess Mitt doesn't have much experience signing cards; that or someone hasn't told him where he is supposed to sign yet. image >>

From what I've seen, he usually signs them at the very top or the very bottom. Like a lot of "celebrities", he probably doesn't want to intrude on his smiling mug.

Mike
    Long story short. i bought two beautiful 1969 Man on the Moon Buzz Aldrin autographed cards on ebay in the same auction. This one, and a nicer one with Aldrin only pictured. Couple days later, seller claimed he lost the other one. I really didn't believe him (believe he probably got a silly offer for the other one after the auction ended), but getting one was better than none. Therefore, I told him a valued this one at about 1/3 of the overall auction and he agreed to refund me my auction price in full and I bought this one for about 1/3 of the priior auction price. Have received my refund and my card so now I can add it to my thread. On the off chance that he miraculously "finds" the other one, he says I've got first dibs on that one as well. I came ever so close to leaving my first neg on ebay, but didn't want to shut the door on the off chance that he's telling the truth. I left no feedback instead.

Now onto the card. A fantastic Buzz Aldrin "rookie" that's passed PSA/DNA quick opinion already. Pictured with Neil Armstrong and Michael Collins, his fellow crew mates from the Apollo 11 mission. Neil Armstrong will no longer sign it, so I'm not even going to try to complete it. I'm content with Buzz. Collins will sign it, but it would be what I consider an absurd price and not worth it since Neil won't complete it.

1969 Man on the Moon Buzz Aldrin

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Nice acquisition MIke!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG Mike ... and you got it for 33% of the original sale price instead of 50%, if in fact you valued the two cards equally.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    What's the story behind Armstrong not signing? Just this card? All cards?
    Hook'em

<< <i>What's the story behind Armstrong not signing? Just this card? All cards? >>

He signed for years TTM, but stopped in the late 80's, early 90's I believe. He's one of the highest valued living autographs. Simple signed index cards of his are easy 4 figure sales Sorry, I don't know the background story as to why he stopped though

Mike
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Neil Armstrong will no longer sign it, so I'm not even going to try to complete it. I'm content with Buzz. Collins will sign it, but it would be what I consider an absurd price and not worth it since Neil won't complete it.
    >>

Collins and Aldrin have benefitted a lot from Armstrong not signing. I know that Aldrin charges quite a bit more for "completion" pieces. I think he's a $400/signature auto person right now but it's easily $600+ for items already signed by Collins/Armstrong. What does Collins charge? Does he have the same policy regarding "completion" pieces? He never set foot on the moon! HA!

<< <i>

<< <i> Neil Armstrong will no longer sign it, so I'm not even going to try to complete it. I'm content with Buzz. Collins will sign it, but it would be what I consider an absurd price and not worth it since Neil won't complete it.
    >>

Collins and Aldrin have benefitted a lot from Armstrong not signing. I know that Aldrin charges quite a bit more for "completion" pieces. I think he's a $400/signature auto person right now but it's easily $600+ for items already signed by Collins/Armstrong. What does Collins charge? Does he have the same policy regarding "completion" pieces? He never set foot on the moon! HA! >>

Yes, Michael Collins base fee at his last signing was $295 and if you needed him for a "completion" piece it was $645. Aldin's last fees in 2011 were $350 and if you wanted him on either a "completion" piece or on any piece with Armtrong already on it ithe price was $750.

Mike
  • Mike, do you have autographs from Armstrong or Collins on seperate pieces already?

Last Summer we were talking about autographs with our neighbors, and Neil Armstrong was my no-brainer answer to the "If you could only get one..." question.
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
    ... I see an Apollo 11 custom card in Mike's collection in the future...
  • Very nice Buzz!!!
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭
    Nice Romney card. Hopefully you made a great purchase and it will be worth a lot more 11 months from now
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    Surprisingly, this is one of the toughest HOF signed rookie cards of the modern cards. I've seen more signed 63 Stargells, 52 Eddie Mathews, and 65 Catfish Hunters, then I've seen of this one. A charismatic Hall of Famer that left this world at a relatively young age. His 1985 autographed cards are easy to find, but this one is not. Glad to knock it off my list with an outstanding example to boot.

1984 Fleer Update Kirby Puckett PSA/DNA

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike...... Great looking Puckett and such a clean auto. Congrats on an outstanding pickup!!!!!
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Mike, that's stellar, Mind if I ask where you found it? Congratulations!
  • Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Mike, that is a beauty from one of my all time favorites. Congratulations!
  • That is an iconic card from a top 80's player. Not sure how many there are out there, but can't be many. Incredible pickup!!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    I like the astronaut auto. My sister works for NASA and she has given me some autos for Christamas but not cards. She had Jim Lovell sign the book Lost Moon and Alan Shepard sign Moon Shot. She also gave me the Neil Armstrong Bio First Man but its not signed by Armstrong, just the author James Hansen. Funny thing is my wife is from Wapakaneeta, OH. Neil Armstrongs hometown. Toured the Neil Armstrong museum up there. Good luck on getting more space cards signed.
    BTW, do you have a list shown somewhere for which cards you are still looking for?

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • So I clicked on Puckett to Gehrig, Gehrig to ALS, ALS to Stephen Hawking, Hawking to black hole theory...

That was an interesting 2 hours of reading.
    Beautiful card! I know that is one you have been seeking for a while, congrats!