Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The logistical difficulty of obtaining an autograph on that card boggles the mind. >>

Gorby is actually not as tough as you might think. Back in the early 90's, he signed under contract with Scoreboard, mainly on baseballs and photos of he and Reagan together. Now, I believe he is a professor at a university in the United States, and he occasionally gives lectures/speeches that have meet and greets for $$$'s. >>

Never knew that.

I am kind of surprised that it took the seller as long as it did to sell it on eBay.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The logistical difficulty of obtaining an autograph on that card boggles the mind. >>

Gorby is actually not as tough as you might think. Back in the early 90's, he signed under contract with Scoreboard, mainly on baseballs and photos of he and Reagan together. Now, I believe he is a professor at a university in the United States, and he occasionally gives lectures/speeches that have meet and greets for $$$'s. >>

Mike is right in that Gorby does make appearances in the U.S as I saw him speak at my college just this past Saturday night. I took a Pro Set card for Mike hoping that I could get an autograph but the amount of security, police and what appeared to be a very large Russian man who was carrying a briefcase and would not leave Gorby's side (he stood off to the side of the stage as he spoke) prevented anyone from getting close. Gorby spoke to the students of my small college and I was literally 30 feet away from him when he spoke. He had some interesting things things to say and It was an experience I wont soon forget.

It was interesting to hear his response to the challenge President Reagan set forth when he told Gorby to tear down the Berlin wall. Here is a link from the Chicago Tribune regarding his visit:

Gorby at Judson University

I took a few photos with my camera phone but since I was in the balcony at the time and it was dark they didnt turn out all that well!

Sorry to Hijack your thread Mike! I am also sorry I didnt get your card signed as I was really confident it would happen. Gorby did mention he has a book coming out sometime next year so I am sure he will be doing some signings. I will be putting your unsigned Gorby in the mail this week!!
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭
    Im glad to see that Gorbachev card signed. It was the only one I pulled out of that Desert Storm box before I sent it your way.
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    This is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Just WOW, Mike. Wow.

I have signed Tim Lincecum RC, Bryce Harper, and Betty White if you want to trade that Killebrew... image
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Excerpt below is taken from the official website of the Dalai Lama:

His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, is both the head of state and the spiritual leader of Tibet. He was born on 6 July 1935, to a farming family, in a small hamlet located in Taktser, Amdo, northeastern Tibet. At the age of two the child, who was named Lhamo Dhondup at that time was recognized as the reincarnation of the 13th Dalai Lama, Thubten Gyatso. The Dalai Lamas are believed to be manifestations of Avalokiteshvara or Chenrezig, the Bodhisattva of Compassion and patron saint of Tibet. Bodhisattvas are enlightened beings who have postponed their own nirvana and chosen to take rebirth in order to serve humanity

2008 Topps Heritage Dalai Lama

Buying US Presidential autographs
    This is a relatively tough card to find unsigned, much less signed. Topps had a banquet at the end of the season to honor their rookie all stars, and in 1964, rather then issue a formal program, they issued a 36 card boxed set. This is a really nice example of a man that should be in the HOF already. Richie "Dick" Allen. Much, much, tougher then his traditional Topps rookie. There has only been 5 of these cards total graded by PSA, 4 are unsigned and this one is the only signed one on the POP report.

1964 Topps Rookie Banquet All Stars Richie Allen PSA/DNA

Yes, those banquet cards are very tough. I have never actively, passionately sought one, but I don't have the Tony C and they are indeed scarce.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very kewl Mike. First time I have seen one of those cards.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    This one is very tough. Multi winner of the Tour de France. Incredible athlete. I used to read about this guy in the Dallas Morning News community sports page as he was a local kid that would do things like participate in adult endurance events at a very young age. Should have known he was destined for greatness at something. From everyone I know that's met the guy over the last several years, he's not the most fan friendly individual and many describe him as quite arrogant and not an easy autograph. I've never seen this card authenticallly signed before. I've seen a couple of forgeries and passed on them, but this one is unquestionably good IMO. A great, vintage (if a modern athlete's sig can be called vintage, LOL, perhaps a better term would be early career) Impel rookie card signed with a 92/93 era sig. The new highlight of my Olympic collection.

1992 Impel Lance Armstrong

• halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭
    As a cycling junkie that is awesome
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
    Nice Lance! Yeah Mike ... when he was younger (pre World famous cyclist) he was one of the top triathletes in the nation in his age group.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Always room in the collection for a beautiful Sports Illustrated Swimsuit model. This card was signed on April 30, 2012 out in California. Thanks to Jeserone for getting it done for me.

1994 RockStreet Kathy Ireland

Got a chance today to spend some fun time with my daughter and add to the collection at the same time. We started our morning at the National Cemetary in Dallas where Maven and I raised about 15 flags helping to prepare the cemetary for Memorial Day. Very neat experience.

We then headed to Dallas ComicCon to see the sights and to pick up David Prowse (the man in the Darth Vader suit in the Star Wars movies) on our 1977 Star Wars Darth Vader card that had already been signed by James Earl Jones (the voice of Darth Vader in the Star Wars movies)

Maven liked taking her pic with everyone

Separated at birth, Maven and CHewbacca (Peter Mayhew)

Maven and Darth Vader (David Prowse)

and finally 1977 Topps Star Wars Darth Vader James Earl Jones/David Prowse

Mike,

ALWAYS nice to see Maven and you having a fun time at the signings.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>Mike,

ALWAYS nice to see Maven and you having a fun time at the signings. >>

Thanks Doug. She brings me a lot of joy. However, time seems to be flying by way too fast!

Mike
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike,

ALWAYS nice to see Maven and you having a fun time at the signings. >>

Thanks Doug. She brings me a lot of joy. However, time seems to be flying by way too fast!

Mike >>

I second that. It was only yesterday my boys were learning to walk and talk. Now the oldest just turned 13 and is already taller than my wife and she's 5'4".

BTW, great job on the David Prowse signature. Did you purposely have James Earl Jones sign it in the left margin? Came out very nice, congrats!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    I've already got the Wilkins Star rookie and Fleer sticker signed, but I still wanted to pick up his base 1986 Fleer. A friend got this one done for me on May 25 at the MetroPCS USA Basketball event in GA. Glad to have completed my run of Wilkins' rookies.

1986 Fleer Dominique Wilkins

• Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    The Human Highlight Film! Very nice, Mike!

Btw - I wish I'd known you were at ComicCon - the company my wife works for had a booth. I would have told her to look for the two of you!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
    This popular Dodger great was a 10 time All Star and 2x World Series Champ.

1941 Playball Pee Wee Reese PSA/DNA

Mike ... THAT is a kewl card/auto. CONGRATS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Reese is impressive!
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 80.51% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.80% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭
    Wow --- that is such a great clean signature ---- congrats
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• HuggyfaceHuggyface Posts: 304 ✭✭
    Great card Mike, Congrats
  • Some sweet additions Mike!! Cool Vadar, Wilkins, and Reese!!

How many Auto's would you estimate you have in your collection?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Very nice Reese! Congrats!

<< <i>Some sweet additions Mike!! Cool Vadar, Wilkins, and Reese!!

How many Auto's would you estimate you have in your collection? >>

Thanks guys! Mike, I probably have around 860 signed rookies from all fields. Other than rookies, I have quite a few autographs on other things such as a neat Texas Rangers collection and some historical/Presidential.

Mike
    This one took a few years for me to track down but I finally managed to land one for my collection. Signature is not the strongest, but it IS Thurman, and it is visible so that will suffice for me. I remember hearing about his death as an 8 year old young boy and realizing that baseball heros were mortal too. A tough one!

1970 Topps Thurman Munson

I can't even imagine how much that card set you back, I doubt few exist.

Like you said, it may not be bold, but it EXISTS.
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    That's one heck of a auto there, Mike! Congrats!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
    Awesome Munson. Congrats
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭
    First one I have ever seen. Very nice! Where did you end up finding it? Garage sale? image

<< <i>First one I have ever seen. Very nice! Where did you end up finding it? Garage sale? image >>

Grandpa's attic. Just kidding of course. Picked it up from a guy on Net54.

Mike
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on that stellar Munson
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    I'm always excited to add a signed HOF card over 90 years old to my collection.

1921 Exhibits Frankie Frisch PSA/DNA "The Old Flash"

Mike ... great card and real nice auto. I too like getting autos on older cards.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>Mike ... great card and real nice auto. I too like getting autos on older cards. >>

+1

The inscription is neat, too.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Love the Frisch
    Awesome old card. I like that auto and inscription.
    Ok, this one isn't a rookie card, but thought I'd add it to my thread anyways. I've been wanting to do something with a Babe Ruth signed cut that I have, so I ordered a rookie era pose 8 x 10 from ebay, and had it mat cut yesterday in order to make this "custom cut" Babe Ruth autographed piece. I haven't designed the back of this custom trading card yet, but once I have, I'll have it slabbed in one of BGS/JSA's large format holders the next time that Jimmy is down here in Dallas at Beckett. I like to get my trading card sized items done by PSA/DNA and my larger items done by BGS/JSA due to different ranges of holder sizes. Doesn't scan real well as for some reason it shows a black shadowing at the bottom of the mat cut, but on the piece in person, it looks pretty good.

Babe Ruth "Custom Cut" autographed rookie era pose 8 x 10

Awesome Ruth Mike. THAT can be the centerpiece of most autographed collections! I'm a little confused ... are you going to make a back and glue it to the front?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    What a Ruth auto!
    The greatest player to ever play or will play.
    Nobody can top him. Impossible.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm jealous, Mike! Love the Ruth auto!

Shane

<< <i>Awesome Ruth Mike. THAT can be the centerpiece of most autographed collections! I'm a little confused ... are you going to make a back and glue it to the front? >>

Yes, I plan on making a back. Just not sure what will be on it yet. It will be glued to the front with the graph sandwiched in between, but the autograph is completely safe as it is in a cardsaver and won't be exposed to adhesives around the area it's in. Don't know if I'll do a narrative only or a combo narrative/stats. I should have a Honus Wagner by next weekend as well. Just waiting on the photo I'm using for that one to get in.

I kind of like these things. Very inexpensive way to dress up and present an otherwise plain autograph

Mike
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that Ruth is AMAZING. I'm a panelist a Comic Con in San Diego this year, Any sigs your daughter is looking for in case I run into them?
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Welcome to the "Munson" club. image Great pickup!
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

I wasnt sure if you still needed a Fleer Patrick Ewing autograph or not but I recently got an email from Steiner saying they are having some sort of gathering for him and he is signing autographs for them. It appears he is signing basketballs and 11X14 picturs for a huge fee but if you are still looking for the Fleer rookie, you might want to contact Steiner to see if it can be done.

If you already have the Ewing rookie (I didnt want to dig through this thread to see if you still needed it) or if this has been discussed previously, just disregard my this rambling. If you need the email let me know
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!

<< <i>Mike,

I wasnt sure if you still needed a Fleer Patrick Ewing autograph or not but I recently got an email from Steiner saying they are having some sort of gathering for him and he is signing autographs for them. It appears he is signing basketballs and 11X14 picturs for a huge fee but if you are still looking for the Fleer rookie, you might want to contact Steiner to see if it can be done.

If you already have the Ewing rookie (I didnt want to dig through this thread to see if you still needed it) or if this has been discussed previously, just disregard my this rambling. If you need the email let me know >>

Thanks for thinking of me, but I do already have a Ewing. I got the same email from Steiner and immediately thought that might be a great opportunity for some people to get one done. Didn't know if they would let you swap out a card though in place of a basketball or 11x14. I don't know if there will be anymore Ewing signed 86 Fleers honestly. I have a friend that works in the NBA that helps me some and has great access, and for the last two years, he's asked Patrick to sign one and he wouldn't do it. Signed other stuff, but no Fleer rookies. Patrick said he won't do "those" anymore. I imagine he'd probably change his tune though for $499 a pop. image

Mike
    Looks like a varmint might have gotten a hold of this one, but still a neat card nonetheless.

1948 Leaf Doak Walker PSA/DNA

<< <i>Wow, that Ruth is AMAZING. I'm a panelist a Comic Con in San Diego this year, Any sigs your daughter is looking for in case I run into them? >>

Thanks for the offer, I think I'm a little late as I saw on TV where Comic Con started today I think, but I appreciate the thought.

Mike
    Much like the Babe Ruth, I picked up a Honus Wagner cut from a GPC from Jim Stinson Sports and decided to make a "custom cut" 8 x 10 project out of it.

Turned out kind of neat. Like the Ruth, I haven't designed a back yet, but plan to eventually.

Honus Wagner autographed "custom cut" 8 x 10