Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike nice looking "Ice Man" I used to love the way he did the finger roll.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this is his "rookie" or not. Saw it on ebay the other day and thought it would fit well with the entertainment component of my collection. I used to see him around from time to time when he was filming Walker, Texas Ranger as they would use our buildings to film some scenes.

1991 Kick Drugs Out of America Chuck Norris

Buying US Presidential autographs
    Honestly, I don't look for a lot of these cards, they just kind of find me. I buy some of my neatest cards from friends that know I collect signed rookies. One of my new favorite "entertainment" cards. Member of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

1957 Topps Hit Stars Jerry Lee Lewis JSA/BGS

• hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Now that is a bad ass card!
    Hook'em
    Picked this card up on the 15% off special with free shipping that Rich Altman offered CU board members. Like other deals I've had with him, it was shipped fast and secure. Overall, a nice, presentable, card. They still have it listed on ebay, but it's in my physical possession now. Inducted into the HOF in 1977.

1934-35 Al Lopez Diamond Stars JSA/BGS

Following excerpt is from the NLBPA website:

A superb first baseman, Leonard was a model of consistency, digging throws out of the dirt, seizing bunts, and showcased an accurate and powerful throwing arm. He was often compared to George Sisler because of his smooth style of play. "Buck Leonard was as smooth a first baseman as I ever saw," reported Eastern booking agent Eddie Gottlieb. "In those days, the first baseman on a team in the Negro Leagues often played the clown. They had a funny way of catching the ball so the fans would laugh, but Leonard was strictly baseball: a great glove, a hell of a hitter, and drove in runs." The rock-steady, dependable, quiet, easy going Leonard was named captain of the Homestead Grays team and served in that capacity until they folded in 1950.

Teaming with Josh Gibson, Vic Harris, Howard Easterling and Cool Papa Bell, Jud Wilson and others, the Grays won nine straight league championship from 1937 to 1945, with a repeat performance in 1948. In 1948, 40-years-old, and without the late Gibson batting behind him, pitchers still respected Leonard. He tied with teammate Luke Easter for the NNL home run crown with 42 and grabbed the batting title with a .395 average. He had also won a batting title in 1940 with a .383 average.

The 1948 edition of the Grays was Leonard's favorite team. They featured Easter, Sam Bankhead, Luis Marquez with Wilmer "Red" Fields as their ace. Leonard won his only batting title that season with a hefty .395 average. The Grays defeated an up and coming Birmingham Black Barons team who featured rookie Willie Mays, for a unprecedented third Negro World Series championship.

At the time of the Grays' demise, Leonard was earning a grand each month and two bucks a day for meal money. Quite a ways from his initial salary of $125 a month and 60 cents a day meal money, when signing in 1934. By 1948, Leonard claimed he was earning about $10,000 annually, including winter league ball. When he retired, it was reported that he was the third highest paid player in Negro League history behind Satchel Paige and Gibson.

While barnstorming with Leonard, Roy Campanella noted, "If Leonard batted fourth, behind Gibson, we could pitch around him and make him hit an outside pitch. He had a real quick bat, and you couldn't get a fastball by him. He was strictly a pull hitter with tremendous power."

Buck Leonard was one batter that pitchers feared the most. Stocky, chesty, with powerfully built arms and legs, plus big hands to navigate a piece of lumber through the strike zone in warp speed. Add to this a great love for baseball, a starving appetite to hit the white apple and a God-given talent to coordinate muscle mass, eye and mind into one powerful swing, and you have Buck Leonard at the plate.

1974 Laughlin Old Time Black Stars Buck Leonard PSA/DNA

I don't often buy cards of people I just don't like, but this is one of those occasions. The baseball component of my collection definitely would be lacking if I didn't add this card, but quite frankly, I can't stand Jeter. I do find it somewhat admirable that he's played for one team his entire big league career, but it's the one team in professional sports that I truly hate. This guys mannerisms, other traits, and inordinate hype, make me wish he had spent his career in Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Japan, etc. With that being said, I'm delighted to add this one image

1993 Upper Deck SP Derek Jeter JSA/SGC

• TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Great addition!

One of my longtime customers and I got into an argument the other day about signed rookie cards. I told him the story about how one of the other board members tried to get Mays to sign his rookie card and it didn't go well. He said "Why would you get a card like that signed? It would ruin the card." I told him signed rookie cards have become a big market, but he didn't believe me, so I pulled up your thread and showed him all of the nice stuff you have.

Unfortunately, he still thinks getting rookie cards signed "ruins" the card, but I tried.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro

<< <i>Great addition!

One of my longtime customers and I got into an argument the other day about signed rookie cards. I told him the story about how one of the other board members tried to get Mays to sign his rookie card and it didn't go well. He said "Why would you get a card like that signed? It would ruin the card." I told him signed rookie cards have become a big market, but he didn't believe me, so I pulled up your thread and showed him all of the nice stuff you have.

Unfortunately, he still thinks getting rookie cards signed "ruins" the card, but I tried. >>

Thanks Michael. Yeah, I never even bother trying to change their mind myself. I like to read a lot of the old hobby dinosaurs' articles in the various trade publications, where they thought that signatures deface cards, it's entertaining to me. One man's trash is another man's treasure. That's what makes this hobby so great. Personally, I've been willing to wager my own $$$ that signed rookie cards will either hold more of their value or appreciate more than their unsigned counterparts. I've got a future Porsche 911 variant turbo that depends on it image

Mike
    I hardly ever add a card to this thread that is not a rookie, or at least within a couple years of being a rookie. However, I'm making an exception for this one. Instantly one of my favorite cards. Totally doesn't fit the theme of my collection, but every now and then, you just have to say, "What the heck, why not?"

Clemente died on December 31, 1972, so this card is kind of hard to find autographed. Autograph is a couple of shades light, however, it is all there, is visible and is not missing any part of the sig. Probably a 5 sig on a scale of 1 to 10.

My first Clemente item. (I'll probably use it in the future to sell/trade for a/some tough signed rookie(s) cards from my wantlist as this card is on a lot of others' wantlists.)

1972 Topps Roberto Clemente PSA/DNA

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

I would never, ever get rid of that one! Awesome card.

Shane

• hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great card , i have to say even though it is not a rookie.....its a keeper
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!! A signed Clemente card regardless if it's a rookie or not is awesome to own. I agree don't every get rid of that card. image
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... you don't see very many Clemente signed cards around. The only way I'd trade that one is to trade for a better signed Clemente card. CONGRATS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Probably a tough card for someone trying to put the 1972 set together autographed. Great pickup!
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Awesome pickup, I have always loved his 72 card.
    Mike ... time to hit the Daily Double ... Mill Creek has the autographed '72 In Action Clemente up on ebay ... unfortunately it's at Mill Creek prices (although there is a BO option).
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic addition. A couple signed sets I'm working on have a few that are that tough (died same year as card came out). The right buyer will pay a big ransom for it.
  • Great add Mike!!!!! I'm actually close to acquiring the 65' Topps Clemente Auto
    Thanks guys, if anyone is interested in trade/partial trade and has any one or more of the following, I'd be willing to entertain proposals:

1939 Playball Ted Williams Autographed
    1948 Leaf Hal Newhouser Autographed
    1948 Leaf Satchell Paige Autographed
    1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson Autographed
    1949 Bowman Roy Campanella Autographed
    1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson Autographed
    1949 Bowman Satchell Paige Autographed
    1952 Topps Hoyt Wilhelm Autographed
    1952 Topps Eddie Mathews Autographed
    1963 Topps Willie Stargell Autographed
    1970 Topps Pete Maravich Autographed
    1970 Topps Thurman Munson Autographed

<< <i>Thanks guys, if anyone is interested in trade/partial trade and has any one or more of the following, I'd be willing to entertain proposals:

1939 Playball Ted Williams Autographed
    1948 Leaf Hal Newhouser Autographed
    1948 Leaf Satchell Paige Autographed
    1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson Autographed
    1949 Bowman Roy Campanella Autographed
    1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson Autographed
    1949 Bowman Satchell Paige Autographed
    1952 Topps Hoyt Wilhelm Autographed
    1952 Topps Eddie Mathews Autographed
    1963 Topps Willie Stargell Autographed
    1970 Topps Pete Maravich Autographed
    1970 Topps Thurman Munson Autographed >>

Let me go check my miscellaneous box and I'll see what I can come up with. image

Shane

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    nice card, congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

I have a few Griffey, Jr. signed rookies, but I still didn't have this one until I found it on ebay last week. Future HOF'er, and generally considered to have played the game the right way.

1989 Fleer Ken Griffey, Jr. PSA/DNA

This guy was a lot of fun to watch. He'd lay a wallop on receivers. Member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

1982 Topps Ronnie Lott PSA/DNA

This former NFL Commissioner is a member of the Italian/American Hall of Fame and is a 2012 Finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

1990 Pro Set Paul Tagliabue PSA/DNA

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow Mike - that's incredible - what a collection!

Do you have any idea how many you have?
    Mike

<< <i>Wow Mike - that's incredible - what a collection!

Do you have any idea how many you have? >>

Thanks Mike,

I have about 800 or so right now amongst the different sports and entertainment/history. It's been fun so far since when I began this journey back in 08.

Mike
    Excited to add this one of highly entertaining boxer Manny "Pac Man" Pacquiao. His base Allen & Ginter card with a great Pac Man autograph.

2011 Allen & Ginter Topps Manny "Pac Man" Pacquiao

• pauldrolkeespauldrolkees Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Excited to add this one of highly entertaining boxer Manny "Pac Man" Pacquiao. His base Allen & Ginter card with a great Pac Man autograph.

2011 Allen & Ginter Topps Manny "Pac Man" Pacquiao

image >>

I like to add all-time great boxer as well as being just highly entertaining, but great looking card with the graph
  • hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Great Manny card. Any chance you bought this raw off the eBay seller who sells a lot of Manny stuff and autos? His stuff seems legit and is pretty cheap. I think the seller is in the Philippines. I have considered buying one of his cards and subbing it for PSA/DNA.
    Hook'em
    Eloy,

No, I bought it already slabbed. I've seen the seller you mention. He supplies all the Team Pacquiao COA's with the items. I thought about getting one from him, but he didn't have any with the "Pac Man" inscription that I wanted, and his items always seemed to be signed in a thicker market than I like to see on cards. He's got great prices though!

Mike
    image This card is commonly known as a 1947-66 Exhibits issue. However, due to the lettering MADE IN U.S.A. on the lower right, and the size of it, 5/8", this card can be dated to 1948. Earlier than his mainstream Leaf and Bowman rookies. Jackie was the first African American player in the majors in the modern era, and despite the distractions and atmosphere that brought with it, he was also a tremendous player. Jackie was a six time All Star, the 1947 NL Rookie of the Year, and the 1949 NL MVP. In addition, Jackie is a member of the Major League Baseball All Century Team, as well as an inductee of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. His number "42" has been retired by all teams. Robinson passed away in 1972, so his autograph is not too easy to find on "rookies".

Without further introduction,

1948 Exhibits Jackie Robinson PSA/DNA (full LOA)

• vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    dayuuuum!
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Holy mother of g-d. Hide the wife and children. That's a card!!! Jeez Mike, I was going to post a white whale of my own that just came in an hour ago but it can't even hold a candle!!!
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    wow
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Ohhhhh Myyyyyy! That is absolutely stellar! Congratulations.
    Congrats, that is an AWESOME addition!

<< <i>Holy mother of g-d. Hide the wife and children. That's a card!!! >>

LOL, thanks guys. I always thought Robinson would be one of the ones I'd have to add last due to the price of his mainstream rookies, so when I found this one, and discovered it was issued before or at the same time as his Leaf and Bowman, I was super excited to get the chance to pick it up. Knocks a huge hole off of my want list.

Mike
    Let's see ... a Clemente and Robinson in a span of two weeks. Most of us have these already, so no big deal!!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>Let's see ... a Clemente and Robinson in a span of two weeks. Most of us have these already, so no big deal!!!!!! >>

Roberto had a really brief stay in Texas, he's sitting in a post office in WA waiting on his new owner to pick him up since he wasn't a rookie image

<< <i>

<< <i>Let's see ... a Clemente and Robinson in a span of two weeks. Most of us have these already, so no big deal!!!!!! >>

Roberto had a really brief stay in Texas, he's sitting in a post office in WA waiting on his new owner to pick him up since he wasn't a rookie image >>

Yeah Mike ... I saw that sale. Trying for the signed Rookie?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    Great Robinson!

One idea for you collection is on Newhouser. I see you're looking for the Leaf, which is a great card and I believe the one in the registry set. But if you like exhibits like the Robinson then Newhouser has a 1939-46 W462 Salutation Exhibits card that isn't so tough to find signed. I picked up one about a year ago for maybe 10 bucks, and I've seen ~5 pop up in the last year. I think most sold for less than $50. It's also listed on this site as his first card which I think is a fairly comprehensive/accurate site. I have no idea how to date the salutation exhibits, but any in that range should be older than the leaf.

<< <i>Great Robinson!

One idea for you collection is on Newhouser. I see you're looking for the Leaf, which is a great card and I believe the one in the registry set. But if you like exhibits like the Robinson then Newhouser has a 1939-46 W462 Salutation Exhibits card that isn't so tough to find signed. I picked up one about a year ago for maybe 10 bucks, and I've seen ~5 pop up in the last year. I think most sold for less than $50. It's also listed on this site as his first card which I think is a fairly comprehensive/accurate site. I have no idea how to date the salutation exhibits, but any in that range should be older than the leaf. >>

Alex,

Thanks for the info on the Newhouser. I'll definitely pick up one of those Newhousers iinstead. I don't participate in the registry set so a much cheaper Newhouser exhibit will work perfect.

Thanks for the heads up,

Mike
  • Nice pickup Mike! And the previous poster is right about the Newhouser, here's mine:

-Dan
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I personally love the signed Exhibits. It is nice to have a full picture and a nice full signature on a card. They have a good history and should be considered "cards". Love the Jackie!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Mike,

I looks like somebody wrote there name on the front of that Jackie Robinson Exhibit card. Don't worry, you can surely find an unmarked example fairly cheap.

Shane

<< <i>Mike,

I looks like somebody wrote there name on the front of that Jackie Robinson Exhibit card. Don't worry, you can surely find an unmarked example fairly cheap. >>

LOL, that sounds a lot like a lot of the "old school" dealers that believe that a signature "defaces" a precious piece of cardboard. Interesting thing to me is that there are still a lot of people that think that way. I earnestly believe that there is still a ton of potential appreciiation for signed cards as they continue to catch on throughout the hobby. (at least for the deceased signers) If cards can be called an investment, then I think signed vintage "rookie" cards are still one of the best investments (in this hobby)"value wise" that one can make.

Mike

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike,

I looks like somebody wrote there name on the front of that Jackie Robinson Exhibit card. Don't worry, you can surely find an unmarked example fairly cheap. >>

LOL, that sounds a lot like a lot of the "old school" dealers that believe that a signature "defaces" a precious piece of cardboard. Interesting thing to me is that there are still a lot of people that think that way. I earnestly believe that there is still a ton of potential appreciiation for signed cards as they continue to catch on throughout the hobby. (at least for the deceased signers) If cards can be called an investment, then I think signed vintage "rookie" cards are still one of the best investments (in this hobby)"value wise" that one can make.

Mike >>

I definitely agree with you. I think the key to that is that it has to "catch on" just like collecting plain cards. I don't know what the ratios are, but my guess would be that plain ole card collectors outnumber autograph collectors 10 to 1. What is your take on that? Could you imagine if the number of autograph collectors equaled the number of card collectors?

Shane

• Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
    For post 2000, I just want to say “Thanks!”. I began this chase circa March 2008, and started posting about it in this thread on April 8, 2008. Y’all have made it a lot of fun to come here and share my additions with friends that usually have a kind word to say. Even those of you that don’t collect signed cards will occasionally pop in and give a thumbs up or other words of encouragement. I have been fortunate that not a lot of negativity has entered my thread, and I am grateful for that. It’s enabled me to be able to have an online showcase, where I can come and view my collection, and get to go through and see the chronological progression and have some good hobby memories. I realize it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, and I certainly enjoy coming on this board and seeing the diversity of sweet things that everyone collects.

Thanks to those of you that send me links and PM’s and trade stories of autographed cards. Many times, I would have missed out on obtaining cards if it hadn’t been for your help in pointing them out or helping me strategize on how to get a graph on an unsigned one.

Thanks to those of you that have gotten autographs for me on cards I sent you. Down here in Texas, I don’t get a whole lot of opportunities to get in person graphs, and if I spent my hobby funds on having to travel myself to shows, I wouldn’t have any left over to pay for the graphs. Your help has been invaluable to helping my collection grow.

Thanks for those of you that sell me high dollar items and allow me to make payments on them over a period of time. I have used that method to obtain many of the key cards of my signed rookie card collection. Without that, it would be extremely difficult for me to obtain some of these.

Thanks for those of you that have seen a card on my wantlist, and you went ahead and picked it up for me, and allowed me to pay you back for it. The willingness of people to help me in this project has been great and I definitely appreciate it.

Thanks to our hosts here including CarolJ, Joe Orlando, Roy Alcala (yes, I know he's gone now), and Bryon Walters. Y'all are always willing to help with special rates, special accomodations, and in the rare occurrences that I've had an "issue", y'all have gotten it fixed quickly.

Most importantly, thanks to everyone that has had any part in helping me in any way, even if I didn’t mention it here specifically.
    I hope y’all enjoy looking at some of these and reading some of my adventures from time to time and sharing in my excitement of new additions.
    Take care and heading on to 3000!!

Mike