Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Got this one back today from a Steiner signing on April 8th. Every now and then I get a chance to add one of what I consider the "legends". This is one of those times. An iconic football card, and an iconic personality to match. Card was a PSA 3 crackout. Turned out really nice after being signed.

1965 Topps Joe Namath

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    VERY nice Mike!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats Mike ... great looking Namath.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Mike,

The Namath card looks like one I signed for him a while back. Prove otherwise.

<< <i>Mike,

The Namath card looks like one I signed for him a while back. Prove otherwise. >>

Goosha,

Who else is in your repertoire? If you can do a nice George Mikan, Eddie Mathews, Hoyt Wilhelm, and Willie Stargell , that would save me some coin.

Mike
  • I wish !! haha. . That is one nice lookin' Namath. Much better then I could do.
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    very nice looking 3... the card presents very well.
  • That is one awesome Namath. That card looks better than most PSA 4. Probably a $900 to $1000 card.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, great looking card
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
    Clyde Drexler was a member of Phi Slama Jama, and had a great NBA career. Named to the 50 greatest NBA team, as well as a member of the original US Dream Team. He was cut from his Texas high school basketball team as a junior, but later embarked on a Hall of Fame basketball career. This card was a nice BGS 9 crackout that was signed gorgeously by Clyde.

1983/1984 Star Company Clyde Drexler

This former pugilist was named the 2nd greatest featherweight of the 20th century by AP in 1999. Sandy was named the 5th greatest puncher of all time by The Ring in 2003. He was the World Featherweight Champion from 10/29/48 until 2/11/49 and also from 9/8/1950 until 1/21/1957. Saddler was inducted into the Boxing Hall of Fame in 1990.

1951 Topps Ringside Sandy Saddler BVG/JSA

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Love autos of the non major sports from that era, very cool
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    This card is now the highlight of my non-sports/entertainment component of my signed rookie card collection. Very tough card to find autographed. Unlike most of the other Star Wars actors/actresses, Harrison doesn't do the conventions or staged signings. With the in person autograph crowd, most people have him sign 8x10's as Indiana Jones if they get the chance to get him. This year, Razor was able to get him to sign stickers that they could use on their various products, and I believe he charged them $400 per signature to do them in bulk. He's a TOUGH autograph. I periodically search for this card, and saw this one and ran a PSA/DNA quick opinion on it and was able to agree with the seller on a price that was fair for both of us, so I picked it up.

1977 Topps Star Wars Harrison Ford as Han Solo

• schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Sweet pickup on the Ford!
    Who is Rober Maris?

<< <i>Sweet pickup on the Ford! >>

Thanks Sean, it's probably one of the toughest living ones that I have at the moment. Now I just need to track down Alec Guinness on one. I'm getting Carrie Fisher next month hopefully in person in Dallas.

Mike

• << <i>This card is now the highlight of my non-sports/entertainment component of my signed rookie card collection. Very tough card to find autographed. Unlike most of the other Star Wars actors/actresses, Harrison doesn't do the conventions or staged signings. With the in person autograph crowd, most people have him sign 8x10's as Indiana Jones if they get the chance to get him. This year, Razor was able to get him to sign stickers that they could use on their various products, and I believe he charged them $400 per signature to do them in bulk. He's a TOUGH autograph. I periodically search for this card, and saw this one and ran a PSA/DNA quick opinion on it and was able to agree with the seller on a price that was fair for both of us, so I picked it up.

1977 Topps Star Wars Harrison Ford as Han Solo

image >>

Simply Amazing!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Mike,
    That is an awesome card! Ford is known to have a distaste for signing autographs publicly. I would guess that there aren't a ton of these signed either since most autograph collectors would probably get a photo signed if given the opportunity to get his signature.
  • nendeenendee Posts: 563 ✭✭✭
    Not to mention the fact that Ford pretty much hates acknowledging his Han Solo days with fans - so that fact that he signed that card is truly amazing.
    Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    The Force is with you Mike!

Nice pickup!
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    This is the first time I've seen this thread. I'm speechless.

Amazing collection, simply amazing.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Love the Drexler and the Ford is unreal.
  • Really cool item Mike....you now have to get him to sign an indiana jones card. It's only fair.
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Wow. We're all wondering how that negotiation went. Something like this, I assume...

thenavarro: hey, how much for the smuggler autograph?
    seller: Well, more wealth than you can imagine!
    thenavarro: I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit.
    Added another boxing great. Here is his bio (cut and pasted) from the International Boxing Hall of Fame

The first man to win the world lightweight title three times, Jimmy Carter was born in Aiken, South Carolina and moved with his family to Harlem, New York when he was a child. Carter turned pro in 1946 and toiled earnestly in the lightweight ranks, facing the likes of Joe Brown, Sandy Saddler and Wallace (Bud) Smith. Finally on May 25, 1951, after 64 pro bouts, Carter challenged champion Ike Williams and dropped him four times en route to a 14th-round TKO. Carter successfully defended against Art Aragon and Lauro Salas before losing the crown to Salas on May 14, 1952. Before the year was out, however, Carter would regain the title by decisioning Salas on October 15. On March 5, 1954, Carter lost the crown to Paddy DeMarco but would again regain his title before the year ended. This time he knocked DeMarco out in the 15th round on November 17. The following year, Carter's title reign would end for good, Wallace (Bud) Smith scored a 15-round split decision over the three-time champ to take the 135-pound belt on June 29, 1955. They met again four months later and Smith held onto the title with a decision. Carter retired in from the ring in 1960. In his career, he met three fellow Hall of Famers -- Brown (L 10), Saddler (D 10) and Williams. He also met the likes of Don Jordan, Orlando Zulueta, Enrique Bolanos and Percy Bassett.

1951 Topps Ringside James Carter BVG/JSA

Named as one of the NBA's top 50 of all time, James Worthy was a great part of the Lakers in the 80's. This card was a BGS 9 crackout.

1983/84 Star Co. James Worthy

Hall of Famer Rod Woodson was in this regional Steelers police issue in 1988 before his mainstream cards in 1989. I like oddball type cards like this so I picked it up.

1988 Giant Eagle Steelers Police Rod Woodson

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hall of Famer Rod Woodson was in this regional Steelers police issue in 1988 before his mainstream cards in 1989. I like oddball type cards like this so I picked it up.

1988 Giant Eagle Steelers Police Rod Woodson >>

But he's a Boilermaker!!! I guess since he was pictured in a Steelers uniform you were able to overlook it. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

<< <i>
    But he's a Boilermaker!!! I guess since he was pictured in a Steelers uniform you were able to overlook it. image >>

I just figured his college choice was a youthful indiscretion, so I let it slide. image

(actually there aren't any of ND's regular opponents that I flat out dislike, Michigan State gets under my skin sometimes, but it's all good)

Mike
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭
    Nothing like watching a Notre Dame - Purdue game at Ross-Ade Stadium!!!

I'm giving my age away but I was at Purdue when Woodson was there.

Unlike you, I can't stand Indiana. They are a bunch of Hoosiers anyway. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, As a Steeler and Woodson fan great looking card and auto.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
    One of the stars of the 70's when I first began to watch the game as a boy. One of the famed members of the Big Red Machine. George was a 5 time All Star and the 1977 NL MVP. He was also the All Star Game MVP in 1976, and member of 2 World Series Championship teams.

1971 Topps George Foster PSA/DNA

Nice Foster. A really great player who, in my opinion, was forgotten very quickly after he retired.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Got a neat addition to the entertainment portion of my signed rookie card collection today. Leonard Nimoy was appearing at the Dallas Comic-Con today so Maven and I awoke bright and early to get him. It was a long day of waiting in lines for various things, admission tickets, autograph tickets, photos, autographs, etc, but she had fun hanging out with dad, and I had fun spending time with her. There were a TON of people there today, you couldn't even move in the facility without bumping into someone, but nonetheless, we enjoyed it. Sweet card from the "rookie" year of the legendary Spock. Maven was dissapointed though that he didn't have the pointy ears in real life. image

Here's our photo together:

and my 1967 Leaf Star Trek Leonard Nimoy

Congrats Mike ... nice auto. Glad to see that Maven and you had another fun day enjoying DADDY'S favorite hobby! LOL

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Here's another one that I got yesterday in person as well. She would not allow her picture to be taken at all, but other than that, she was very personable. She took time while signing to chat with you, crack jokes, ask about different items, etc. One of my teenage fantasy interests image

1977 Topps Star Wars Carrie Fisher

• YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Sounds like nice quality time with your daughter. Congrats on the awesome autos!
    1964 American League Rookie of the Year and a 8 time All Star selection. Tony's one of those in the Hall of Very Good, with an outside chance of making the Hall of Fame one day. Career batting average over .300.

1964 Topps Tony Oliva PSA/DNA

Whoops! Just found out that Oliva had a 63 Topps card where he's listed as "Pedro". Anyone want to buy the 64?? image

Mike
    Neat card of AL umpire John Honochick.

From Wiki:

George James John Honochick (born August 19, 1917 in Oneida, Pennsylvania - March 10, 1994 in Allentown, Pennsylvania) was an American League umpire. His career started in 1949 and ended in 1971. During his career, he officiated six World Series and four All-Star games. He also called balls and strikes for three no-hitters (the first of Virgil Trucks' two in 1952, Jack Kralick in 1962, and Sonny Siebert in 1966). He was the crew chief who declared that the Washington Senators forfeit its last game in 1971 because a mob, furious that the franchise was going to relocate to the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex the next season, stormed the playing field with the team only one out away from victory.

During the mid-1970s, Honochick was one of the many professional sports-related celebrities who became spokespeople for Miller Lite beer. His first commercial played up the clichéd notion, usually belted out by hecklers, that umpires should get glasses because of questionable calls made on the field. In it, he helped to promote the product without realizing who the other pitchman in the ad was. After putting on spectacles, he immediately noticed who it was, exclaiming, "Hey! You're Boog Powell!" This theme continued to be used in subsequent Miller Lite spots.

1955 Bowman Jim Honochick

One of the more colorful characters of wrestling. A great performer that energized crowds at every venue. Another of the wrestlers that went out too young. Randy was an inductee to the Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame, but has not yet made it into the WWE Hall of Fame, supposedly due to disagreements with Vince McMahon. Perhaps Vince will now bury the hatchet and give the guy his due.

1985 OPC Randy "Macho Man" Savage

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was a great pick up!

very cool addition
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Love the Honochick...although I've always been a softie for the underloved 1955 Bowman set. Great pickup of Macho Man, too.

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    Part of the fun I have in collecting these signed rookies, is learning about athletes/personna that I didn't know about before. This is now the oldest signed wrestling card I have, and gave me a chance to learn about this Wrestling Hall of Famer. Picked this up from the Wrestling Card King. Here's George's bio from the Dan Gable Wrestling Hall of Fame:

George will always be remembered as the man who created ‘Wrestlemania’ for Vince McMahon. His brain earned Vince and the WWF billions of dollars.

The Canadian born sensation started out in the business in the 1950s wrestling all over the world including Tampa. He often teamed with his brother Sandy Scott. George was a headliner until a broken back curtailed his in ring action.

Scott moved into the promotional end of the business, and earned a reputation as one of the best bookers in the history of the sport.

Jack Brisco, former NWA Heavyweight Champion has fond memories of George. “Everybody thought that George was a great booker," Brisco said. "What made George different as a booker and an excellent booker was that he would always approach each individual involved in the match and get their side of it, their opinion of everything. Most bookers, when you got there, they had the finish laid out and what they want to do and what direction they we wanted to go, between them and the promoter. But George took the approach of getting the input from each wrestler involved in it.”

George and his wife Jean live in Indian Rocks Beach, Florida. He owns real estate and rental properties and gets a lot of golfing in. His wife was a former City Commissioner and is active in politics.

George Scott has carved out a name for himself in wrestling history. Truly a genius story plotter, and one who will go down in the books as ‘The Best’.

1954 Parkhurst Wrestling George Scott

Great Macho Man and I am glad that the George Scott is now in your collection. There were no major wrestling card sets made in North America from the 1954 Parkhurst and 1955 Parkhurst wrestling sets from Canada until the 1982-3 Wrestling All Stars that DPeck has a stranglehold on :-). I think most autograph seekers that attended wrestling shows would have wrestlers sign their programs instead of a trading card because they just did not have them. The only other ""cards" that could be signed are the exhibits, but I rarely see a signed one of those either. Or course, the "heels" were to stay in character so they just didn't sign at all. I just wanted to give a little perspective on wrestling autographs on trading cards. I love signed wrestling cards from that era. I only have a few myself, Verne Gagne, Killer Kowalski, George Scott and Don Leo Jonathan. Great stuff!

• alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Now I just need to track down Alec Guinness on one.
    >>

Just saw this ended on the 22nd, did you see it?
    Link
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
    I paid a member of another board to get these two signed for me at a recent casino appearance in Wisconsin. Turned out absolutely fantastic. These are now my 2nd and 3rd example of this card autographed that I have. Can't ever have too many signed Hulk Hogan rookie cards image The one on the left should grade out pretty good.

1982 Wrestling All Stars Hulk Hogan

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super cool! Congrats on getting this done!

lCan't ever have enough Mike Piazza signed rookies either. image I've got the 92 Fleer Ultra and the 92 Bowman, and am now adding the 92 Classic from his days with the Dodgers farm club, San Antonio Missions.

1992 Classic Mike Piazza