Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2008 RED SOX Championship run thread!!

Comments

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>Teixeira is a better slugger than Youk (who inevitably tails off in the 2nd half) But TEX doesnt have the heart that Youk does. >>

I agree with that. The only reason I like it so much, is because we'd be getting someone comparable for Tex, along with another minor leaguer and mainly wouldn't have to deal with Tex's contract at the end of the year.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no way the Sox make that move "as is"

Youkilis still has an arbitration year after this season, Tex is a free agent at the conclusion of this season. It will likely take $20 million/season (or more?) for five to seven years to keep Tex. The Sox wouldn't make that move.

now the "buts"

BUT, if the Sox could negotiate a deal with Tex that would extend his contract at a favorable rate and the minor league prospect wasn't a top one AND the Sox could somehow work a dump of Luso in the deal, they'd probably have to think quite a bit before saying no.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>no way the Sox make that move "as is"

Youkilis still has an arbitration year after this season, Tex is a free agent at the conclusion of this season. It will likely take $20 million/season (or more?) for five to seven years to keep Tex. The Sox wouldn't make that move.

now the "buts"

BUT, if the Sox could negotiate a deal with Tex that would extend his contract at a favorable rate and the minor league prospect wasn't a top one AND the Sox could somehow work a dump of Luso in the deal, they'd probably have to think quite a bit before saying no. >>

That is the ONLY scenario that would make sense, and even then RSN would not be happy to let Youuuuuk go.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    The way these two guys have played this year, I think that Atlanta should be the team kicking in the minor leaguer! Youkilis is hitting 43 points higher than Teixeira is and only has two fewer HRs. Their other numbers are pretty close, as is their fielding ability, and I think that makes Youkilis (and his contract) a lot more valuable to a team than Teixeira.

• Options

<< <i>The way these two guys have played this year, I think that Atlanta should be the team kicking in the minor leaguer! Youkilis is hitting 43 points higher than Teixeira is and only has two fewer HRs. Their other numbers are pretty close, as is their fielding ability, and I think that makes Youkilis (and his contract) a lot more valuable to a team than Teixeira. >>

Bingo
  • Options

<< <i>The way these two guys have played this year, I think that Atlanta should be the team kicking in the minor leaguer! Youkilis is hitting 43 points higher than Teixeira is and only has two fewer HRs. Their other numbers are pretty close, as is their fielding ability, and I think that makes Youkilis (and his contract) a lot more valuable to a team than Teixeira. >>

I think most would be afraid of whether or not this is a "fluke" year from Youk. The guy's never hit more than 20 HRs in a single season or a SLG pct top .500 before,while if Tex doesn't mash 30 in a year it's a big disappointment.

I personally don't like Youk so it's no skin off my back if this deal doesn't get done. As long as the Braves trade Tex for SOMEONE and don't just let him go to Free Agency, I'm happy. A compensation pick doesn't cut it for someone like Tex.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to be back on top at the break! image

As far as Tex and Youk goes, call me crazy but I think Youk has a possibility of becoming a 40HR guy very soon, maybe its wishful thinking but I say we keep him, Im not a big Tex fan especially after his droppoff from his 43? HR year a few years ago, I dont see Tex getting those type of numbers again and like I said I think Youk could get to those #'s himself.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    This is Youk's 3 year in the Majors, I think the jury is still out on whether he can hit 300 or 30 hr's. I hate facing Tex so it would be good not to have too! Undecided on this trade
  • Options
    who will be bidding against NYY for Tex's services next year?
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Youk made me a ton last year on a 1/1 pull from Ginter, Im hoping to hit him again!

JS
  • Options

<< <i>This is Youk's 3 year in the Majors, I think the jury is still out on whether he can hit 300 or 30 hr's. I hate facing Tex so it would be good not to have too! Undecided on this trade >>

What took him so long to get to the majors?! He's nearly 30!!!
  • Options
    Probably his physical appearance, his face is upside down. None on the top, too much on the bottom!
  • Options
    boston.com says that in addition to Youkilis, the Braves are interested in HAAAnsen. THAT part of the deal is fine by me! image
  • Options
    of course, that just means HAAAnsen will be awesome once traded, that's how it goes, eh Sox fans?
  • Options
    might as well have some off-season discussion until Friday when the Sox play LAA. How about converting Papelbon to a starting pitcher once this season is over? K-Rod is going to be a free agent, so I'll gladly spend someone else's money picking him up for the Sox and improving the starting rotation to Beckett-Lester-Matsuzaka-Papelbon-Wakefield. I'm not sold on Buchholz just yet. I guess I also assume Wakefield will pitch until he's 50!
  • Options

<< <i>

What took him so long to get to the majors?! He's nearly 30!!! >>

It hasn't been exactly easy cracking the Red Sox lineup the past 5 years.
  • Options

<< <i>boston.com says that in addition to Youkilis, the Braves are interested in HAAAnsen. THAT part of the deal is fine by me! image >>

If Hansen gets that screwball/changeup working, then he could be effective next year. He's still working on that pitch.
    Remember Roy Halladay and how much he struggled early in his career. You just don't give away young, cheap arms.
    Giving away a cheap Gabbard for an expensive Gagne was dumb. Never give away cheap, young arms....never.

The Tom Seaver's, Jim Palmer's, and Greg Maddux's of the pitching world all struggled early in their careers.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Personally I don't want Youk to go anywhere. I can see him in Sox uniform for a long time.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Youk is so popular in RSN, and while that's not a main factor in keeping him on the team, don't think Theo doesn't consider it. I'm sure that popularity played some part in keeping Lowell (and I'm glad it did), and while Texiera is a tremendous hitter, who needs him? If they would do it just to keep Texiera away from the Yankees, I don't think that's worth thinking about.

Youk won't ever hit 40 HR's, but he will hit .300 or so with 20-25 HR power and Gold Glove defense at two positions. All for a lot less (right now) than the huge contract Texiera will earn. Plus, he plays the game in the style that RSN likes, while Texiera seems less enthused.
  • Options
    I agree. The last thing we want is another guy on the team that RSN can't tell if he cares or not when he strikes out. I love Manny and I'm coming around on Drew, but it really kills me when they get called out on strikes and they walk back to the dugout looking like they just saw a really pretty butterfly on a really pretty rose with a really pretty girl next to them.

I like it that Youk gets mad. I like it that he works so hard on everything that he sweats when he stands still. I even like the fact that he plays so hard that he wears down as the season goes along. I'd like to think that if I had the same opportunity that he has had, that I'd try to play that hard to. Same goes for Pedroia. There might be guys out there that put up flashier numbers at both positions, but I think the Yankees and the Mets have proven that just trying to get the best person at every position does not always mean you'll have the best team on the whole.

Don't get me wrong though. I'd love to have Teixeira on the team someday . . . just not at the expense of losing Youkilis or Lowell (since Youk is multi-talented and could be moved to 3rd to make room for Tex.)

And besides, we've already got a "Tek" on the team. "Tex" and "Tek" would be too cute.

I was all for converting Papelbon to a starter before the start of the 2007 season, but now that he's our closer and it seems like that's what he wants to be, I think we need to leave him there. I do find it interesting that guys like Papelbon and Brett Myers choose to be/want to be closers. It seems like being a closer used to be what happened to aging starters who couldn't go that deep into games anymore. Now guys are getting drafted out of college as "closer types" and thinking about their legacy as a pitcher from a closer's standpoint from the start of their careers.
  • Options
    Taken from a Boston Globe article out today:

NEW YORK - Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia offered a half-smile when someone asked him about the difference between the right side of the American League All-Star infield - Sox teammates Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis - and the left side - Yankees teammates Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez, the latter engulfed in a media crush at a hotel interview session yesterday afternoon.

"Um, pretty different, huh?" Pedroia said. "Me and Youk, we're just guys who want to win. They want to win, but they're superstars. Me and Youks, we're guys who grind it out. We're trying to do everything we can and give everything we can. We're talented, but we're definitely not as talented as the other two guys in the infield. So we have to do other things to make up for that."

That about sums up why I respect the heck out of those two guys.
  • Options
    I hate to be a triple poster, but I just had to say congrats to JD Drew.

Do you think it's safe to say that Theo made the right decision?

Also, pretty classless of the remaining fans at Yankee stadium to boo Drew during the MVP presentation. The All-Star game should be the one night where even Red Sox and Yankee fans can put aside the rivalry and root for the AL together.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, pretty classless of the remaining fans at Yankee stadium to boo Drew during the MVP presentation. The All-Star game should be the one night where even Red Sox and Yankee fans can put aside the rivalry and root for the AL together. >>

It's the typical arrogance of the Yankee's fans to disrespect anyone that excels at this game that is not in pinstripes. They loudly booed each Red Sox player that was introduced...all that's fine, but when the game is over and the awards handed out, it's time to acknowledge the accomplishment of the player.

I have been to many Yankees-Red Sox games in Fenway Park. When the opposing pitcher was taken out of the game, but had pitched well, he ALWAYS got a standing O from the Red Sox fans. Unfortunately, the dumbasses in NY don't quite get the idea that this is competition among professional athletes and it isn't always gonna be a Yankee player that comes out on top.

May the Yankee's fans contiue to feel like they've been dipped in poison ivy for the rest of the season, AND can't find the ivy dry.

GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭

<< <i>Also, pretty classless of the remaining fans at Yankee stadium to boo Drew during the MVP presentation. The All-Star game should be the one night where even Red Sox and Yankee fans can put aside the rivalry and root for the AL together. >>

I watched the game, and there were so few people left in the crowd during the MVP presentation that I don't know how you could say that with any conviction. A few loud tired drunks in the crowd, that's all. Don't get bent out of shape over it.

Drew played great offensively and defensively, and he deserved the MVP. It was really good of him to help the AL secure WS home field advantage for the Yankees like that image

BTW Francona is a total class act, and I really appreciate that guy every time I see him.
  • Options
    A few loud tired drunks in the crowd, that's all.

So all the Yankee fans stayed? image
  • Options

<< <i>A few loud tired drunks in the crowd, that's all.

So all the Yankee fans stayed? image >>

Zing!!!!

Gemmintman, it was pretty easy for me to make that remark with conviction because it was a fact. I know there was hardly anyone left during the presentation, but their boos were loud enough that Jeanie Zelasko (sp?) made mention of the Yankee fans not being happy that a Red Sox player was leaving with the award. Also, I didn't say anything like "All Yankee fans are classless," just that the remaining ones were acting classless.

To be honest, if I'm going to get bent out of shape about anything related to the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry, it will be the Daily News' portrayal of Papelbon and how they blatantly and dishonestly made an issue where there was no issue.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A few loud tired drunks in the crowd, that's all.

So all the Yankee fans stayed? image >>

Zing!!!!

Gemmintman, it was pretty easy for me to make that remark with conviction because it was a fact. I know there was hardly anyone left during the presentation, but their boos were loud enough that Jeanie Zelasko (sp?) made mention of the Yankee fans not being happy that a Red Sox player was leaving with the award. Also, I didn't say anything like "All Yankee fans are classless," just that the remaining ones were acting classless.

To be honest, if I'm going to get bent out of shape about anything related to the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry, it will be the Daily News' portrayal of Papelbon and how they blatantly and dishonestly made an issue where there was no issue. >>

I heard some boo's. I also heard a smattering of applause. All from a totally depleted crowd. It was about 2 AM after a 15 inning game, and there's a Red Sox guy standing in the MVP circle. What did you expect, a parade? image. Tell me the remaining Sox fans would have acted a lot different if it were Jeter at Fenway.
  • Options
    I know we have applauded M.Rivera in the past.. image
  • Options
    That's true, we hate Jeter, Damon, and A-Rod and a host of other Yankees, but like Perkdog said, if it was Rivera we would have applauded. Heck, we'd probably applaud guys like Matsui and Cano too if they helped us secure home field advantage in the WS.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tell me the remaining Sox fans would have acted a lot different if it were Jeter at Fenway >>

I actually think Jeter is well respected at Fenway (and should be everywhere else too) - who can fault anything about how he plays the game? While we used to chant "Nomar's better" for a season or two at him, I think there is a legitimate respect for his game and attitude (and Rivera's and probably Matsui's or Mussina's too) that has emerged over the years.

Joba, ARod or Giambi would be heckled though. image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Arod always deserves to be heckled!

How great was it that the trade in 2003 didn't happen???
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Tell me the remaining Sox fans would have acted a lot different if it were Jeter at Fenway >>

I actually think Jeter is well respected at Fenway (and should be everywhere else too) - who can fault anything about how he plays the game? While we used to chant "Nomar's better" for a season or two at him, I think there is a legitimate respect for his game and attitude (and Rivera's and probably Matsui's or Mussina's too) that has emerged over the years.

Joba, ARod or Giambi would be heckled though. image >>

Agreed! I see less and less Jeter SUKS shirts nowadays, I think RSN is a whole lot less bitter now towards any player that is a Yankee since we have dominated over them with our World Series Wins image We actually can respect guys like Jeter and Rivera now.
  • Options
    I think it helps that we're not trying to compare our SS to New York's anymore either. Let's face it, there's not a Red Sox fan alive that thinks that Julie Lugo is better than Derek Jeter.
  • Options
    I would think many of the Yankee's players wouldh've gotten an ovation for having won the MVP award, even if the game were played in Fenway. A few would get booed, especially Damon ("I"d never play for the Yankees"), A-Rod and maybe Giambi because of the steroid thing.

I have been to several Fenway games with the Yankees-Red Sox. Of those games, I can distinctly recall the opposing pitcher getting a standing O from Red Sox fans when they got taken out of the game after having pitched well. We cheered for Mariano Rivera because of the 2004 WS...I can't recall the player that tagged him, but Rivera was directly involved with the Red Sox win. Same as Dave Roberts, he will ALWAYS get a standing O from Red Sox Nation for having stolen second base in game 4 to keep us alive, which led to the WS victory.

To boo the winner of the MVP, no matter who, no matter where the game, is simply major bush league stupidity, which seems to permeate the air in Yankee stadium. Problem with Yankee's fans is the inability to recognize the short comings of their team. They simply find it incomprehensible that the Red Sox are well ahead of them and their season is looking pretty dim, given their pitching and lack of run scoring.

Now that Damon and Matsui are hurt, the rumbles begin about Barry Bonds. Bringing Bonds to the House of King George, would provide just enough craziness to sink their ship.

BTW, was that Odd Job who handed that big torn envelope to King George with the baseballs inside? And why did the King George feel he needed to be driven around the track? I didn't hear any ovation for him and he added nada to the festivities.

Sad, very sad to see the replay of Teddy Ballgame at the 1999 All-Star game in Fenway wearing that stupid "Hitter.com" cap instead of a Red Sox cap. They should have slowly driven Williams around Fenway, like at about 2 MPH to let the fans "drink in" the moment, it was pretty obious Teddy B was not long for this world. Imagine seeing Teddy B standing in front of the Monstah just one more time and wave to the crowd...THAT would have been a moment to cherish.

Buckle up the chip strap, we got da Angels to deal with tomorrow night.

Ortiz returns next week!!!! imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Arod always deserves to be heckled!

How great was it that the trade in 2003 didn't happen??? >>

Wow, imagine that? We forget that Choke-rod could have been on the Sox, and we never would have won these 2 WS titles. That has to be the greatest deal in Red Sox history just because it never happened.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Arod always deserves to be heckled!

How great was it that the trade in 2003 didn't happen??? >>

Wow, imagine that? We forget that Choke-rod could have been on the Sox, and we never would have won these 2 WS titles. That has to be the greatest deal in Red Sox history just because it never happened. >>

• Options
    going through withdrawals, let score some freakin runs tomorrow!
  • Options

<< <i>going through withdrawals, let score some freakin runs tomorrow! >>

• Options
    And, this time next week, Big Papi returns. image

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

To boo the winner of the MVP, no matter who, no matter where the game, is simply major bush league stupidity, which seems to permeate the air in Yankee stadium. Problem with Yankee's fans is the inability to recognize the short comings of their team. >>

Ignorance of the year award with this comment. There is no way and no how, that a Yankee gets cheered at Fenway anytime. All Star game or old timer game, etc. Please stop with this hollow holier then though crap.

NO YANKEE GETS CHEERED IN FENWAY ..... ALL STAR MVP or not. To think otherwise is being naive at best. Its sooooo easy to sit there and barf out all of this moral high ground horse dung when your lovable little Sox players get booed off the field in Yankee Stadium during the All Star game. Pablebon was the best image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

To boo the winner of the MVP, no matter who, no matter where the game, is simply major bush league stupidity, which seems to permeate the air in Yankee stadium. Problem with Yankee's fans is the inability to recognize the short comings of their team. >>

Ignorance of the year award with this comment. There is no way and no how, that a Yankee gets cheered at Fenway anytime. All Star game or old timer game, etc. Please stop with this hollow holier then though crap.

NO YANKEE GETS CHEERED IN FENWAY ..... ALL STAR MVP or not. To think otherwise is being naive at best. Its sooooo easy to sit there and barf out all of this moral high ground horse dung when your lovable little Sox players get booed off the field in Yankee Stadium during the All Star game. Pablebon was the best image >>

correction is in order here:

opening day @ Fenway 2005 (I was there). When Mariano Rivera was announced during pregame introductions, he got a very loud welcome with cheers and lots of applause...standing ovation by many.
  • Options
    It's nice to see RSN starting to appreciate the talent that JD Drew has. Of course he didn't show it last year, but I knew this guy
    was going to be sweet this year.

It looks like we're stuck with Lugo. Don't know if Lowrie is going to overtake him, but I hope he does.

Now on to Varitek. Not because he's having a bad year, but it just doesn't make sense to pay big money for aging catchers.
    I say we go after the kid from Pittsburgh for next year.

As far as the rest of this season, the truth is that we're only one injury to Dice-W or Beckett away from being in serious trouble.
    However, I doubt that happens due to their youthfulness. I think we secure a Divsion or Wild Card berth. Lester needs to stay
    healthy, and Buchholz needs to have a solid second half. Having said that, young pitchers need 3 or 4 years to really start
    to come on, so no big deal if these guys tank in the second half.

Now on to the good news. The good news is that the Yankees have NO chance of Mr. Choketober and his traveling circus
    to ever win anything this year. Sorry Hank, wait till next year.
  • Options
    GUess Papi had a homer last night! Here's to a speedy return to MLB!

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

NO YANKEE GETS CHEERED IN FENWAY ..... ALL STAR MVP or not. To think otherwise is being naive at best. Its sooooo easy to sit there and barf out all of this moral high ground horse dung when your lovable little Sox players get booed off the field in Yankee Stadium during the All Star game. Pablebon was the best image >>

correction is in order here:

opening day @ Fenway 2005 (I was there). When Mariano Rivera was announced during pregame introductions, he got a very loud welcome with cheers and lots of applause...standing ovation by many. >>

And that came from a very grateful Red Sox nation! image
  • Options

<< <i> As far as the rest of this season, the truth is that we're only one injury to Dice-W or Beckett away from being in serious trouble.
    However, I doubt that happens due to their youthfulness. I think we secure a Divsion or Wild Card berth. Lester needs to stay
    healthy, and Buchholz needs to have a solid second half. Having said that, young pitchers need 3 or 4 years to really start
    to come on, so no big deal if these guys tank in the second half. >>

I disagree with this a little bit. The fact is, I think our pitching depth is such that we can (and have) withstood an injury to Dice and Beckett has missed at least two turns in the rotation that I can remember. I'd feel a little better about our depth if Masterson wasn't being converted to a reliever though and I'd like to see Colon come back and pitch as well as he was before he got hurt this year.

Now, if Beckett or Dice goes down in the post-season, I think we're in serious trouble.
  • Options
    The hardest part about the World Series is just getting there- I truly believe we can beat any NL team IF we get there. Ofcourse there is no garuntee if we run into a really hot team but bat for bat and pitch for pitch I think we can hang with the NL. Beckett or Dice going down would be a huge blow to our staff and I dont think we would get there without one or the other, the middle relief would suffer as well because we would have to press Masterson back into the rotation which may or may not work but I love this kid shoring up our relief corps. Bottom line lets stay healthy! We are getting Papi back and hopefully Buccholz can offer some steady production for the second half..
  • Options
    One thing that doesn't quite make sense to me and maybe you guys can help me out here:

I've heard the Sox want to give Tek more time off in the second half.
    I've heard that one of the primary reasons the Sox haven't called up Charlie Zink (11-2, 2.22 ERA, 1.02 WHIP) is they don't want two knuckleball pitchers on the same staff.
    Kevin Cash catches Wakefield.
    Therefore, it seems like one way that Tek could get more time off would be to have Cash catch Zink as well? Obviously that would only be necessary if one of the Sox starters gets hurt, but when rosters expand towards the end of the season, it's something I'd like to see especially if we have any double-headers or other brutal scheduling changes.
  • Options
    Why is there no talk about Manny's latest faux pas???

As I understand it...the Manster was interviewed by a Boston Herald reporter after the AS game. Up came Manny's contract issue. Manny shoots back that he wasn't too happy with the way the Red Sox say one thing then do another behind your back...paraphrasing here, but I think I'm close. He also seemed to cavalierly say, I'd like to stay in Boston, but I can go play somewhere else if I don't get what I want. I also understand that the owner shot back an email saying in essence that he was insulted by Manny's comments and that the Red Sox have always treated Manny well and that we wouldn't have won the WS without him. Crazy stuff!

So, seems to me this is almost strike three with MANRAM. The dust up with Youkilis after the Crisp attack on the pitcher; the pushing down of the traveling team's secretary when Manny was told he couldn't get him enoug tix for the upcoming Yankees series.

I'd say enjoy the swing, 'cause I don't think the MANRAM will be in a Red Sox uniform next year...I think Tek is on the edge, his age is becoming a factor and he ain't cheap.

Gotta beat LAA!!!

• Options
    I had a long conversation today about this. Manny will wants at least 20 mil if not more, and his stats, though good, have gone down every year. We may be seein gthe last of him. Didn't we put him on waivers 3 years ago and NOBODY claimed him???
  • Options
    I think Manny will settle down and kiss the Sox Brass "you know what" when it comes right down to it, 20 mill is on the fence and you KNOW he wants to get paid.