Home Sports Talk

The Official 2008 RED SOX Championship run thread!!

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW- Talk about getting in some rest time for Papelbon...
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW- Talk about getting in some rest time for Papelbon... >>

Better was keeping the middle relief in the bullpen.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Of course I missed tonight's game after suffering through the last 3. Fortunately Lester comes through again!
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Better was not having to get pounded in the shed by another Tampa Bay team.

js
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, were there any fans at King George's house last night??? Sure was quiet.

Even Jeter helped us early, then Pettite pitched a Red Sox gem...thanks Andy. Red Sox looked pretty good, maybe the bats have come alive. Lester is really throwing well, gives our pen time to regroup.

Wow, the mighty King George minions go from scoring 18 runs to zippo. I guess they need another lecture by Hal the Mouth to motivate them again. Now 8 games back (9 in the loss column) and slowly, but steadily sinking.

All-Star game just 11 days away, just how far can the Yankees fall before then? What an embarrassment to the Yankee's "management" and team. When I see Girardi in the dugout, he has this look of "what was I thinking". If the slide gets a lot worse, I suspect he'll get the axe by the all knowlegeable Hal the Mouth.

Tis the curse of Torre!!! imageimage

Enjoy the 4th guys!!! We got Beckett at 1PM...hope he pitches a gem.
    About time we get some RBIs with runners in scoring position! WTG Lowell!!!
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    oh yeah!
    Who would have thought that we had to get away from the Rays, and to NY to get some wins???

Hope everyone is having a safe and happy 4th!
    Bases loaded, no outs, top of the 9th...only need one run to tie. Why does everyone seem to want to swing, swing, swing. Did Varitek have a count of 2-0 with the bases loaded and he swings to pop out to the infield??? Take the damn pitch, better to be called out than swing away, especially with your average as bad as it is.

THEN, I hear the names Timlin and Lugo in the same sentence. NOT a good sign.

Could have really put a huge hurt on the Yankee's. Hopefully we crush them tonight.

Good news...the Rays are coming to King George Stadium.

I wonder what the Sox average is a as team with runners on 3rd and less than 2 outs? Seems that we have stranded a lot of runners there this year.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I had a bad feeling when it was up to Crisp, Varitek, and Lugo to drive in the runs - and this was with no one out and the bases loaded. Rivera did his very best to absolutely hand the game to Boston (he is a shell of his former self these days) and it was a shame to let them out of there with a win.

Bottom line, these games are always fun and all, but we really need to worry about Tampa Bay this season. Not NY.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a bad feeling when it was up to Crisp, Varitek, and Lugo to drive in the runs - and this was with no one out and the bases loaded. Rivera did his very best to absolutely hand the game to Boston (he is a shell of his former self these days) and it was a shame to let them out of there with a win.

Bottom line, these games are always fun and all, but we really need to worry about Tampa Bay this season. Not NY. >>

Rivera is WAY better than he looked to the first four batters. He has been better this year than in the last few years (I have seen him pitch a number of times this year via MLB Extra Innings). No shell, he's the real deal, only better. Just an off five minutes is all he had.

<< <i>

<< <i>I had a bad feeling when it was up to Crisp, Varitek, and Lugo to drive in the runs - and this was with no one out and the bases loaded. Rivera did his very best to absolutely hand the game to Boston (he is a shell of his former self these days) and it was a shame to let them out of there with a win.

Bottom line, these games are always fun and all, but we really need to worry about Tampa Bay this season. Not NY. >>

Rivera is WAY better than he looked to the first four batters. He has been better this year than in the last few years (I have seen him pitch a number of times this year via MLB Extra Innings). No shell, he's the real deal, only better. Just an off five minutes is all he had. >>

You're right about that - I probably shouldn't have said it that way. Rivera has been pretty much lights-out for them this season except for yesterday. It just seems like, from a Red Sox standpoint, it doesn't seem as ominous when Rivera comes into games anymore. Before, you kind of figured it was over. But in recent years, the Sox really don't seem to fear him much at all.
    As much as I love Varitek, why did Francona put him on the All Star team?
    Big hit by Pedroia, one of the hottest hitters in MLB!

<< <i>As much as I love Varitek, why did Francona put him on the All Star team? >>

players' vote?
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Well, a big surprise. The Sox squander another quality start by Wakefield. image

<< <i>Well, a big surprise. The Sox squander another quality start by Wakefield. image >>

funny (not really, but...) you should mention it. I resigned myself to the loss when Wakefield came out of the game with one out in the 7th. It was so much easier to take. The only thing I wasn't sure of was which guy(s) in the bullpen was (were) going to blow it.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    You're right about that - I probably shouldn't have said it that way. Rivera has been pretty much lights-out for them this season except for yesterday. It just seems like, from a Red Sox standpoint, it doesn't seem as ominous when Rivera comes into games anymore. Before, you kind of figured it was over. But in recent years, the Sox really don't seem to fear him much at all. >>

Rivera schooled the Sox tonight image

and might I add, since Rivera is being taken to task by Jerry ...... The Boston Red Sox lineup is about as boring as it has been in a long time. The Sox bats strike NO FEAR anymore. They get by with good pitching when they do get by ...... Ortiz? nahhhh Manny? Nahhhhh Varitek? Nahhhh ...... B O R I N G

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• << <i>

The Boston Red Sox lineup is about as boring as it has been in a long time. The Sox bats strike NO FEAR anymore.

>>

Settle down softy. You just squeaked out a split at home against a team you need to vault over in the standings.
    Your ace closer almost blew game 3 of the series. Not a very impressive homestand for Mr. Choketober and his traveling circus.

Poor middle relief and no clutch hitting.

Manny appears to be on planet MANRAM. How pathetic to watch him take 3 strikes...somebody clue him...SWING, even if you pop out, at least you swung at the damn thing. Varitek continues down Dismal Lane, Drew back into a non-productive mode. Seeing Lugo bat in a clutch situation is just sad...bad time for Lowell to be in slump. Cannot believe Varitek is in the All-Star game!!

Geez, did I mention no Schilling and no Ortiz.

Other than that, we're in a hole and they better start digging, or this party will be over quickly.

The GOOD news, is that the Yankee's have da Rays for the next two games. AND, better yet, the Yankee's are now 10 back in the loss column.

Keep the faith, we play well in Fenway.
  • good game, but the most ebarassing part was no-swing, no effort Manny with his bat on his shoulder; dont tell me you sox fans really wanna re-sign this again, lazy, old man beating slugger?

• << <i>good game, but the most ebarassing part was no-swing, no effort Manny with his bat on his shoulder; dont tell me you sox fans really wanna re-sign this again, lazy, old man beating slugger? >>

If you look at Manny's numbers with his years in Cleveland and Boston, they are almost identical to the T.
    The guy is nothing but production in the regular season and postseason. Yes, he's getting older, but I think he's got two or
    three years left in him.

<< <i>

<< <i>

The Boston Red Sox lineup is about as boring as it has been in a long time. The Sox bats strike NO FEAR anymore.

>>

Settle down softy. You just squeaked out a split at home against a team you need to vault over in the standings.
    Your ace closer almost blew game 3 of the series. Not a very impressive homestand for Mr. Choketober and his traveling circus. >>

You hit the nail right on the head. The Yankees lineup is not exactly tearing it up either.
    Wow, I come back from my 4th of July Vacation weekend and find the Sox 5 games out? Behind the Rays? AND I hear Dan is acting up? image

Last nights game steamed Me, I only had a radio to listen to the game and almost tore my camper down listening to that Yankee player- ( whoever he was ) battling Pap's only to win by squeking a ball out of the infield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

Well, time to get caught up on the thread and get back to civilization...

<< <i>Wow, I come back from my 4th of July Vacation weekend and find the Sox 5 games out? Behind the Rays? AND I hear Dan is acting up? image

Last nights game steamed Me, I only had a radio to listen to the game and almost tore my camper down listening to that Yankee player- ( whoever he was ) battling Pap's only to win by squeking a ball out of the infield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

Well, time to get caught up on the thread and get back to civilization... >>

Papelbon needs to learn to confidently throw something other than a fastball. Attention John Farrell, little help here!

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow, I come back from my 4th of July Vacation weekend and find the Sox 5 games out? Behind the Rays? AND I hear Dan is acting up? image

Well, time to get caught up on the thread and get back to civilization... >>

Papelbon needs to learn to confidently throw something other than a fastball. Attention John Farrell, little help here! >>

Gotta agree, Im listening to the radio announcer and every pitch was either a 96mph or 97mph fastball..
    Well Paps got it done tonight!

1 run and we win? Nice to see us win a close game, hats off to Sox pitching tonight.

<< <i>Well Paps got it done tonight!

1 run and we win? Nice to see us win a close game, hats off to Sox pitching tonight. >>

I'd still like to see Papelbon learn some new pitches!
    Kazmir v Pettite at King George Stadium tonight...suddenly I'm a BIG Rays fan. As long as we can hold off the Twins, the Yankees will continue to sink.

Nice win last nice. Manny returns from planet MANRAM to get the clutch hit.

What little Red Sox news I get in the Atlanta rag, says that Ortiz smoked 6 shots out of the park yesterday. Ortiz says he's feeling good. What a difference it'll make with him back in the lineup, hopefully soon.

Keep the faith, we're gonna be ok.

<< <i>I'd still like to see Papelbon learn some new pitches! >>

A good changeup would be nice. As far as I know he only has a Fastball, Splitter, and Slider. He certainly can live off those, but he can prolong his career with a nice changeup.
    Root for the Yanks tonight?

<< <i>Root for the Yanks tonight? >>

No, unless they have very little or no hope of the post season. I am not counting them out, although I am skeptical they can keep us with Rasner and Ponson as 2 of their 5 starters.

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd still like to see Papelbon learn some new pitches! >>

A good changeup would be nice. As far as I know he only has a Fastball, Splitter, and Slider. He certainly can live off those, but he can prolong his career with a nice changeup. >>

his fastball works and he has confidence in that pitch. The same can't be said for the split and slider. Can't throw them well when he needs them too often, thus I think he lacks confidence in them (probably a chicken/egg thing, but you get the idea). Opposing teams know what's coming much of the time and if they have decent batters, they can hit Papelbon. More teams have figured it out this year than did last year. Until Papelbon improves his non-fastball choices and confidence/ability with those choices, I believe it will only get worse against the better teams.
    I'm rooting for NYY tonight. The Rays need their confidence beaten down a bit, I sure hope the Yankees can do it.

<< <i>

<< <i>
    You're right about that - I probably shouldn't have said it that way. Rivera has been pretty much lights-out for them this season except for yesterday. It just seems like, from a Red Sox standpoint, it doesn't seem as ominous when Rivera comes into games anymore. Before, you kind of figured it was over. But in recent years, the Sox really don't seem to fear him much at all. >>

Rivera schooled the Sox tonight image

and might I add, since Rivera is being taken to task by Jerry ...... The Boston Red Sox lineup is about as boring as it has been in a long time. The Sox bats strike NO FEAR anymore. They get by with good pitching when they do get by ...... Ortiz? nahhhh Manny? Nahhhhh Varitek? Nahhhh ...... B O R I N G

image >>

Holy chit! It's good to see you around Dan. image

I really want to retract my Rivera comments. Several Yankee fans I know, and even regular normal baseball fans (!) have told me recently that Rivera is the best he's ever been in his career right now. I have no idea if that's true or not, but enough people seem to believe it.

Unfortunately, Rivera can't pitch more than 1 inning for you. The other 8 innings remain a challenge for the weakest Yankee pitching staff of the last 10-15 years. Even Wang couldn't help that sorry-ass bunch of second rate hurlers. All those great young arms - where they at? I'm not all that impressed by Joba either, and his attitude seems awfully bush-league so far.

By the way, boring Sox bats? Have you seen Pedroia lately (the hottest hitter on the planet)? Youkilis, Lowell, and Drew are tearing it up. Manny is still the best two-strike hitter in baseball, and Yankee fans would give Giambi's steroid filled right arm to have a hitter like that in their lineup. Ortiz was just starting to hit before his injury.

Boring? I'll tell you what's boring - being in third place.
    Boring? I'll tell you what's boring - being in third place

I wouldnt know image
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerry,

Its good to see you too my fine Sox lovin friend imageimage

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Manny comes through again in the 8th! Come on we need more!!
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Awesome come back so far! Now with the lead we can turn it over to Papelbon and bypass the heart attack of having to watch Okajima in a close game.
    woo-hooo!
    Boring huh? image
    Where's Dan? Maybe over on the "Yanks stumble towards the world series thread"
    Man, that was so freaking boring!

image Honestly I thought I shot myself in the foot but Paps shut it down for a second night in a row!
    whew!

Still think Papelbon should throw something other than 95+ fastballs!
    Didn't it look like the Twins had some little kid up there against Papelbon at the end? I really thought Gardenhire ran out of players, and had the ballboy go up there and try to hit.

<< <i>Didn't it look like the Twins had some little kid up there against Papelbon at the end? I really thought Gardenhire ran out of players, and had the ballboy go up there and try to hit. >>

Well, Paps is a man amongst boys...
    Very nice comeback! It would be nice to get some serious momentum before the All Star Break!
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Didn't want to start a thread over it, but figured some of you should see this. I think it's pretty funny, but not so sure that the people it makes fun of will feel the same way. The Boston accent is garbage but oh well. If you haven't seen "My New Haircut", then go on youtube and check it out.

KNUCKLEBALLS