Home Sports Talk

The Official 2008 RED SOX Championship run thread!!

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1000 >>

Nice work Barndog! last years thread got 2797 w/ a Championship!

Lets see if we can do it again but with more posts!! image

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    What happened? I cant believe 4 people jumped Crisp!

Gomes is a POS!
    You knew that was going to happen!
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hell yeah! Tampa's "kitties" needed to have a catcher hold down Coco while they took cheap shots. Pansies, kitties, all of them: Iwamura, Crawford, Gomes. I likely missed another. Bob Watson won't. Well worth it.

<< <i>hell yeah! Tampa's "kitties" needed to have a catcher hold down Coco while they took cheap shots. Pansies, kitties, all of them: Iwamura, Crawford, Gomes. I likely missed another. Bob Watson won't. Well worth it. >>

Yea what a bunch of pussies! Baseball players cant fight anyways, no suprise about the cheap shots though- lucky for Coco, Gomes doesnt have a clue how to punch image
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I guess the question is, who does Lester go head-hunting for now? I say go over Upton . . . plunk him in the back though.
    OK back to bussiness- lets stuff it in their " You know what" and run it up!

LETS SWEEEEEEEP these wimps!

<< <i>I guess the question is, who does Lester go head-hunting for now? I say go over Upton . . . plunk him in the back though. >>

Lester hits nobody. Scenario: Sox leading big in the 9th. Bring in someone that can throw 95 and is expendable for 4 games. Drill Iwamura, Gomes, or Crawford...queens of the kitties

<< <i>

<< <i>I guess the question is, who does Lester go head-hunting for now? I say go over Upton . . . plunk him in the back though. >>

Lester hits nobody. Scenario: Sox leading big in the 9th. Bring in someone that can throw 95 and is expendable for 4 games. Drill Iwamura, Gomes, or Crawford...queens of the kitties >>

Exactly!
    Good point. Too bad we cut Tavarez. He'd make a decent mercenary. Okay, how 'bout Timlin goes up there and plunks somebody. Not only can he do it, he can probably hold his own in a brawl. And really, what's 5 or 6 games without Timlin going to do except give him a much-needed vacation?
    Anyone good with Photoshop? I'd love to see a pic of Gomes, Crawford, and Iwamura wearing the dresses the kitties deserve!
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    You guys should hear $^(@#$^^(#$^(#W$^%R*^%$#*^*^% Rays announcers. Everything was Crisp's fault. Give me a break. Nobody even so Gomes throwing cheap shots.
    What a wuss. How about that tackle by DeMarlo Hale??
    Yet another good brawl between these two teams.
    Now let's hope Jacoby is ok.
    I am going to be huge pissed off if Ellsbury has a serious wrist injury image

<< <i>I am going to be huge pissed off if Ellsbury has a serious wrist injury image >>

Like really angry.
  • thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Looks like you guys had fun today!

• thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Forgot to add you guys showed'em whose boss in the game and the series.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭
    Though I agree that the Rays threw in some cheap shots in that fight...but seriously, was it necessary that Crisp charged the mound? Shields didnt throw at his head. Crisp HAD to know that he was going to get plunked. Thats baseball. Crisp would have taken his base and the whole thing would have been over with. Sorry guys, not to ruin your party but that mound charge just wasnt right. If Shields had thrown shoulders up, then yeah, Crisp should go at Shields full speed.

Oh yeah, didnt you guys love Gomes when he took the cheap shot at Shelly Duncan? image

<< <i>Though I agree that the Rays threw in some cheap shots in that fight...but seriously, was it necessary that Crisp charged the mound? Shields didnt throw at his head. Crisp HAD to know that he was going to get plunked. Thats baseball. Crisp would have taken his base and the whole thing would have been over with. Sorry guys, not to ruin your party but that mound charge just wasnt right. If Shields had thrown shoulders up, then yeah, Crisp should go at Shields full speed.

Oh yeah, didnt you guys love Gomes when he took the cheap shot at Shelly Duncan? image >>

Barry, the whole thing should have been done and over with after yesterdays game, Shields and the Rays kept it going by throwing at him ON PURPOSE, they were EVEN steven after yesterday when Crisp hard slided into their second basemen in retaliation from him lowering the knee on Crisp during a headfirst slide earlier. I got no problem with Crisp charging the mound, why should he let the Rays get one up on him for free?
    What I really want to know now is what the hell was happening between Manny and Youkilis in the dug out?

Gomes moved way up my cheap-shot list . . . right next to Richie Sexon.
    I really enjoyed the game! Remy kept commenting on how so much different things took place during the game and he was spot on, again I loved it!

BUT!!! I hope Ellsbury's wrist is ok, and Manny's Hammy is OK as well.

<< <i>
    Barry, the whole thing should have been done and over with after yesterdays game, Shields and the Rays kept it going by throwing at him ON PURPOSE, they were EVEN steven after yesterday when Crisp hard slided into their second basemen in retaliation from him lowering the knee on Crisp during a headfirst slide earlier. I got no problem with Crisp charging the mound, why should he let the Rays get one up on him for free? >>

I get what you are saying about it should have been even yesterday. Rays may not have felt it was even but even that doesnt matter. I just have a problem with guys charging the mounds when the intentional throw was at the waist. I guess it just takes an "ultra-professional" to be able to let that go. Not only that, Coco charging at a 6 foot 4, 210 pound James Shields? Didnt he ever see what happened when Robin Ventura charged Nolan Ryan? LOL

The bigger point is what happened to his teammates BECAUSE he charged the mound. Expect the cheap shots. Doesnt anyone remember 1998 Yanks vs Orioles in that big brawl full of cheap shots from Graham Lloyd and Darryl Strawberry? There could have been lots of injuries to either or both teams. Yes, play with fire, fight for your team but be smart about it! Bad enough you guys are without Ortiz for who knows how long.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys should hear $^(@#$^^(#$^(#W$^%R*^%$#*^*^% Rays announcers. Everything was Crisp's fault. Give me a break. Nobody even so Gomes throwing cheap shots.
    What a wuss. How about that tackle by DeMarlo Hale??
    Yet another good brawl between these two teams.
    Now let's hope Jacoby is ok. >>

I'm visting relatives in Jacksonville and got the pleasure of watching the Rays broadcast. Their announcers are horrible.

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Barry, the whole thing should have been done and over with after yesterdays game, Shields and the Rays kept it going by throwing at him ON PURPOSE, they were EVEN steven after yesterday when Crisp hard slided into their second basemen in retaliation from him lowering the knee on Crisp during a headfirst slide earlier. I got no problem with Crisp charging the mound, why should he let the Rays get one up on him for free? >>

I get what you are saying about it should have been even yesterday. Rays may not have felt it was even but even that doesnt matter. I just have a problem with guys charging the mounds when the intentional throw was at the waist. I guess it just takes an "ultra-professional" to be able to let that go. Not only that, Coco charging at a 6 foot 4, 210 pound James Shields? Didnt he ever see what happened when Robin Ventura charged Nolan Ryan? LOL

The bigger point is what happened to his teammates BECAUSE he charged the mound. Expect the cheap shots. Doesnt anyone remember 1998 Yanks vs Orioles in that big brawl full of cheap shots from Graham Lloyd and Darryl Strawberry? There could have been lots of injuries to either or both teams. Yes, play with fire, fight for your team but be smart about it! Bad enough you guys are without Ortiz for who knows how long. >>

I see your point, but lets not forget guys can get hurt by being thrown at as well, so maybe him charging the mound let the Rays know they will not put up with it and to end the whole thing right then and there.
    Tampa has p'd off the two best teams in the East. Their run will soon be over, I don't think their players have the experience to handle this kind of "excitement" -- Maddon should know better and let his team do something stupid.
    Hazel Mae reports that the X-rays were NEGATIVE on Ellsbury's wrist- good news.

Anyone have anything on the Manny vs Youk incident?

<< <i>Hazel Mae reports that the X-rays were NEGATIVE on Ellsbury's wrist- good news.

Anyone have anything on the Manny vs Youk incident? >>

post-game interview: Francona said it was about nothing and it has been resolved, done deal, no issue, something along those lines. Sounds like a "stuff" happens, we're over it response...I will consider it the truth until I see evidence otherwise.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The smarter play would have been for Coco to take the hit and slowly walk to first base. The damage that could have been done was not worth the risk to attack the pitcher. The sweep wouldh've spoken for itself.

I thought the Rays took some cheap shots, especially Iwamura, Gomes and Crawford. Navarro already had him in a bear hug and threw him to the ground. Then came the craziness. We could have lost some players and really gotten ourselves in deep stuff. They'll all appeal, blah, blah. This is not done between the Rays and Red Sox, if memory serves, they've got a bunch of games left to play. They'll all have to serve some kind of suspension.

Next to the Zimmer attack of Pedro, it's probably the craziest game I've ever seen at Fenway. Sad to overshadow Carter's first MLB game.
    There's some good photos on the history of the Rays/Sox rivalry. I was at the Pedro 1 hitter game that may have started it all.

Probably Coco overeacted and now we're going to have to deal with suspensions on top of everything else. In my opinion, Gomes merits the biggest suspension of all.
    What a piece of garbage.

Thank God the Sox will be playing the Mariners tonight so I can hear NESN!
    I cant believe you think Coco overreacted! Screw Shields for keeping the thing going!
    I do think Coco overreacted over the whole thing. However once Shields threw at him, it's on. I highly doubt it's over between these two teams. I really hope there's some payback coming for Gomes.
    so far this game sucks image
    Yankees announcers were talking about the Manny/Youkalis incident. Apparently, Manny took his sweet time coming out of the dugout during the brawl. Youkalis called him on it and Manny gave Youk a slap to the face. Youkalis was grabbed before he could get to Manny and Manny was led down the tunnell back to the clubhouse.

Im sure Francona had a meeting with the two. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during that meeting.

Was that the reason Manny sat out today? Was that his punishment from Francona? Or were suspensions held down?

<< <i>Yankees announcers were talking about the Manny/Youkalis incident. Apparently, Manny took his sweet time coming out of the dugout during the brawl. Youkalis called him on it and Manny gave Youk a slap to the face. Youkalis was grabbed before he could get to Manny and Manny was led down the tunnell back to the clubhouse.

Im sure Francona had a meeting with the two. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during that meeting.

Was that the reason Manny sat out today? Was that his punishment from Francona? Or were suspensions held down? >>

His knee or hammy has been giving him trouble lately, during his last at bat yesterday he tweeked it a bit and was pulled out of the game. It has nothing to do with anything else other than giving him a day off.

Well that was a drubbing. image Nothing good about an 8-0 loss, although our lineup was missing Manny, Ellsbury and Papi.
    an alternative version of the Youkilis-Ramirez matter was that Manny was giving Youkilis some guff for the way Youkilis was handling a crappy at-bat (tossing stuff around, slamming things, etc) even though the TEAM was winning. Evidently, Youkilis does this even when the team is doing quite well and Manny and others see it as self-centered, not the way to be. Tempers flared, stuff happened. A few of the Sox met with Youkilis about his habits today. Different from what the Yankees announcers said, but I'm sure they have knowledge of the inner workings of the Sox clubhouse

<< <i>an alternative version of the Youkilis-Ramirez matter was that Manny was giving Youkilis some guff for the way Youkilis was handling a crappy at-bat (tossing stuff around, slamming things, etc) even though the TEAM was winning. Evidently, Youkilis does this even when the team is doing quite well and Manny and others see it as self-centered, not the way to be. Tempers flared, stuff happened. A few of the Sox met with Youkilis about his habits today. Different from what the Yankees announcers said, but I'm sure they have knowledge of the inner workings of the Sox clubhouse >>

Hopefully it's settled then. We don't need any infighting. We've got enough issues to deal with!
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    terrible game, let's get back on board!

<< <i>an alternative version of the Youkilis-Ramirez matter was that Manny was giving Youkilis some guff for the way Youkilis was handling a crappy at-bat (tossing stuff around, slamming things, etc) even though the TEAM was winning. Evidently, Youkilis does this even when the team is doing quite well and Manny and others see it as self-centered, not the way to be. Tempers flared, stuff happened. A few of the Sox met with Youkilis about his habits today. Different from what the Yankees announcers said, but I'm sure they have knowledge of the inner workings of the Sox clubhouse >>

I read a little about this in the Herald today and that seems to be the real deal. Honestly though Im kinda torn on that type of thing, the TEAM is winning and that should be the main concern but I will never have a problem witha guy being frustrated with a tough stretch at the plate- and lets be totally honest here- the #1 thing in the back of all these guys minds is the big paycheck, if Im Youk who just signed a 3mill contract Im going to have anemosity against Drew and his 14 Mill and Luso's 8 mill deals! Sorry but thats a FACT. Im going to be angry when I dont perform- ofcourse part of it is you want to help the ball club but the bottom line they are all there because of the money.

You go Youk and show emotion, I like it! And Drew you keep on acting like you dont have a care in the world- why should you? You got your 70+ Mill.
    "watching" the game off and on today via Gameday...looks pretty good so far, wish it were televised!
    Hansen's ERA down to 4.60 -- fluke or is he learning?

And how about JD Drew (yes, with a D, not a B!)? Slow starter, just took him 190 games to warm to the Red Sox. Seems to like the 3 spot.
    Definatly nice to see them bounce back after last nights "Drubbing"
    WOW! Youkilis made an error at first base. No clue how other than "missed catch error" per Gameday. Not a good week for him I guess image
    238 games at first without an error still not too shabby!
    Lucky me!! Both the Yankees AND Red Sox games not shown on my DIRECTV baseball package...what a rip!! So, I click back and forth and can only see the little diamond icon lighting up once in a while with a base runner. I "saw" Drew's triple on the little sketch, then it was 2-0 Sox. I figured somebody got a homer, of course it was Manny. Drew looks like he's come alive, and we sure need him now with all the injuries and suspensions upcoming.

What a Yankee's game, all I saw was the score going back and forth. Well, good for Damon, BUT lotsa problems still with that team. Pettite got hammered and let's face it, they were playing KC.

FWIW, if you guys aren't watching in HD, you gotta consider getting a set. The Sharp Aquos LCD 1080P is probably the best deal going. I have a Panasonic plasma 50" HD and DO NOT recommend plasma, it puts out too much heat. But oh the pic!!!

Glad the Youk - Manny thing got settled.
    Pinch me...JD Drew is en fuego!
    Another sterling performance by Masterson!
    No game tonight....uggggh....
    At least the Yankees lost!
    Yes they lost in great fashion as well! ( I gots Guillen on my fantasy squad ) image

The Sox deserve a day off!!!
    A quick note about ChadtheVon who posts here.

He and I happen to collect the same set, All-Time Red Sox. Well, we PM'd a time or two, and recently I was asking about a Tim Wakefield rookie card. So, Chad comes back with "I've got an extra PSA 9 Wakefield I'll send you for free".

Sure enough, got it in the mail yesterday. Very classy move by the Vonster to do this for me. Just wanted the board to know how what a nice thing he did for me.

From the vernacular of New England, "wicked cool". Thanks again Chad.

Al