Home Sports Talk

The Official 2008 RED SOX Championship run thread!!

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>back to back WOW >>

yeah...so Papelbon is in position to get a win for this game. Such a misleading stat for a closer
    Wasnt pretty but we will take it!

<< <i>Wasnt pretty but we will take it! >>

just said the same thing to my daughter!

<< <i>

just said the same thing to my daughter! >>

image Great Red Sox Minds think alike! image
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

just said the same thing to my daughter! >>

Said the same thing ABOUT my wife...jk

WTG!!
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Nice comeback to bail out Paps.
    My buddy who went to Boston with me last month was at the game so he got his money's worth.

Okay guys, hold down the fort. I am off to Vegas for a week!

Bob....
    Best of Luck Bob! See ya when you get back buddy! image

Crisp goes yard for the second game in a row. Sweet.
    SOLID performance!

Now its...........

LETS GO CELTICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

This was the second to last thread on the 1st page . . . that is just too close to falling off of Page 1.

Should be an interesting pitching matchup today. Hamels vs. Colon. I'm hoping for a 1-0 Sox victory with both pitchers going the distance. Yep, I have both pitchers on my fantasy team.
    Lets score soe freakin runs....and points
    back to back!!!

WOW
    Timlin: just go out to pasture buddy, it was a good run..cant win em all
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Mike "I'm a Loooooooozer" Timlin for taking us right out of the game. When is Theo gonna wake up and dump this dud?? The Red Sox are paying this bozo $125,000 PER WEEK to pitch like he was playing for the other team. I said it earlier, throw this dud under the bus NOW!! We had a shot at 4-2, but thanks to Timlin's pathetic performance, this game is pretty much out of reach.

Earth to Theo, earth to Theo...trade, put him on waivers, or just leave him somewhere and don't let him get on the team plane. I knew when they showed him warming up what was coming. Maybe Tavarez and Gagne need an old friend in Milwaukee.

It does boggle the mind. The sooner he goes, the better!

I hate to admit it, but I agree. Timlin is fit for mop-up duty only at this point. I can't see cutting him midway through the season just because of the past that he has had with the team, but at the same time, he can't be trusted with the future of this team either.

I wonder if Colon's "back stiffness" is going to translate into time on the shelf? At least we've got Buchholz tearing up the minors and looking ready to step right back into the rotation.
  • Way to go Phillies!!!! The Yanks are coming. Down to 4 games in the Loss column.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."

<< <i>I hate to admit it, but I agree. Timlin is fit for mop-up duty only at this point. I can't see cutting him midway through the season just because of the past that he has had with the team, but at the same time, he can't be trusted with the future of this team either.

I wonder if Colon's "back stiffness" is going to translate into time on the shelf? At least we've got Buchholz tearing up the minors and looking ready to step right back into the rotation. >>

Colon is too fat...thus the back problems. Wait long enough and his knees will give out too. Anyway, he hasn't sucked all the time, but Timlin has. Timlin needs to go the way of J. Tavarez (PLEASE!)

So who do the Sox look for and give up in a trade to get reliable bullpen help? The pen is not a WS-winning bullpen. Mostly reminds me of what they had in 2005
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Ryan Howard owns Boston

Sincerely,
    11 Total Bases

<< <i>Ryan Howard owns Boston

Sincerely,
    11 Total Bases >>

Howard owns Colon. Boston owns Howard. Before tonight's game Howard had a career .192 average against Boston.
    Ugly game, not much to enjoy out of that one..

Lets Go Lester!!!! Lets score alot of Freakin' Runs for him and quiet these silly Sillies fans!
    Amen.
    Let's score some MORE freakin runs
    I'm scared, I saw Chokajima warming up image

<< <i>I'm scared, I saw Chokajima warming up image >>

No need to fear! OK did OK!

Nice bounce back win! I love that Lester is doing so well, forget about Santana! image
    Lester in a nice groove, solid performance. Pap was on fire to close the game.

Gee, I thought I read somewhere recently that somebody said Howard owned the Red Sox...more irrational exuberance. Howard 0-4, and looked like he didn't have a clue. Utley didn't look too good either.

How about the Crisper??? Is he hitting the ball or what?

On top of that, the Celtics are SMOKIN the Lakers. Gotta love it, tonight they close the deal and another banner goes to the rafters.

This fell to page 2! I know we're still celebrating the Celtics win, but let's not drop our guard!

Let's score some freakin' runs for Masterson and then rest up on Thursday so we can destroy the Brewers this weekend!
    Nice work, and yes we definately need to score some runs for this kid- we owe him from last game!
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howard looked like that Voodoo worshipper in Major League -- can't hit a breaking ball worth a lick!!
    According to Heidi Watney (uber hottie of NESN), the Red Sox will honor the Celtics this Friday night at Fenway. They are also trying to get green shirts made for the Red Sox players to wear...gotta be a first, I've never seen a Red Sox green shirt, caps yes, but not shirts.

For those of you lucky enough to get NESN locally, the pre game show should be interesting to watch. Me? I'm stuck with DIRECTV (I live in Atlanta) and only get the intro by Don and Jerry then the game.

If you're at work and reading this, the Red Sox are HAMMERING the Phllies 6-1 in the 3rd. Drew and Lowell BTB homers in the 1st inning. Ramirez and Youkilis sitting out...Crisp just taken out of the game and replaced by Moss, who just hit a single with the bases loaded to score two runs. Something about Coco's finger or left wrist, no announcement made yet.

<< <i>If you're at work and reading this, the Red Sox are HAMMERING the Phllies 6-1 in the 3rd. Drew and Lowell BTB homers in the 1st inning. Ramirez and Youkilis sitting out...Crisp just taken out of the game and replaced by Moss, who just hit a single with the bases loaded to score two runs. Something about Coco's finger or left wrist, no announcement made yet. >>

Oh yeah!!
    Drew is a triple shy of the cycle. That would be sweet if he could manage it.
    another road win, wonders never cease! Drew...who'd'a thunk it after last year!

<< <i>another road win, wonders never cease! Drew...who'd'a thunk it after last year! >>

I cant believe your spelling his name DREW! image

Nice big W today! Gotta love not missing a beat without our big guns in there!

<< <i>

<< <i>another road win, wonders never cease! Drew...who'd'a thunk it after last year! >>

I cant believe your spelling his name DREW! image

Nice big W today! Gotta love not missing a beat without our big guns in there! >>

started giving him his name back about ten days to two weeks ago. He deserves it now.

Just got to come up with something for Hansen...

hmm, how's this one: hAAAnsen

<< <i>
    Just got to come up with something for Hansen...

hmm, how's this one: hAAAnsen >>

Im thinking hAAnsen.

But hey, not all our guys are going to be studs the point is we are deep enough to overcome these weak links and get it done. I hope Buccholz can come back and be a viable HEALTHY starter- I really would like to see Schill in middle relief role to start back, I think that would be phenominal if he is good to go after the break.
    Trade Rumor: I just read that the Cubs sent the GM's special assistant to scout the Red Sox and the conjecture is that he was looking at Coco Crisp. We know that they were interested in him earlier in the season. So the rumor is that the Cubs might try to trade Rich Hill for Coco Crisp.

What do you guys think of that? I liked Hill a lot last year but I don't understand what's going on with him this year . . . he went from a pretty quality major league starter to being buried in the rotation in AAA. I would think the best we could hope for out of Hill would be a middle relief role this year. That might be all we need from him though.
    Coco is hitting a homer a game these days...we need more for him in exchange (seriously, we do)
    I tend to agree. But if Hill kept putting up numbers like he did last year I'd feel it was a pretty even offer.

Right now, Coco gives us a lot of flexibility by allowing Manny to DH with Papi being out. I guess I'd rather see Coco stick around for now. We're doing just fine with the team we've got and that is saying something considering that Schilling, Dice-K, Beckett, Ortiz, and Lowell have all spent significant time being injured this year.
    Let me tell you this much, Coco is a great insurance policy if another Outfielder goes down- Ellsbury scrappy play ( Yes I LOVE it 100% ) does put him at a high risk for injury- Im not at all for this move. I say Schill gets put in middle relief, things are not broke so lets not fix it?

<< <i> I say Schill gets put in middle relief, things are not broke so lets not fix it? >>

I think there is an 80% chance Schill is done for the year.

Schilling's personal doctor said his only chance to pitch this season was to have surgery back in April and come back in late August or early Sept. He thought going through rehab would risk further damage, and it looks like that is what is happening. Schilling only agreed to the rehab because the Red Sox doctors forced him to -- if he did not, he would lose his salary.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm beginning to not like the Boston Red Sox very much. image

<< <i>I'm beginning to not like the Boston Red Sox very much. image >>

Why not expand your horizons and join Red Sox Nation and enjoy the ride. You need to root for an American League team.

We're done with you guys for the season I think. Besides, it wasn't the Red Sox you should not like very much, but the lack of performance by your big guns, Utley and Howard.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm beginning to not like the Boston Red Sox very much. image >>

Why not expand your horizons and join Red Sox Nation and enjoy the ride. You need to root for an American League team.

We're done with you guys for the season I think. Besides, it wasn't the Red Sox you should not like very much, but the lack of performance by your big guns, Utley and Howard. >>

I couldn't even find Massachusetts on a map - I always get that geography confused with other states such as Vermont, New Hampshire, and Toronto.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    ummm, J.....D.....DREW!!!!! Wow, can anyone believe that this guy would actyually get a couple MVP votes if the season ended today????? He's going to make his first All Star team in his 30's.

<< <i>I tend to agree. But if Hill kept putting up numbers like he did last year I'd feel it was a pretty even offer.

Right now, Coco gives us a lot of flexibility by allowing Manny to DH with Papi being out. I guess I'd rather see Coco stick around for now. We're doing just fine with the team we've got and that is saying something considering that Schilling, Dice-K, Beckett, Ortiz, and Lowell have all spent significant time being injured this year. >>

I like the idea of keeping Crisp. That opinion was cemented when he charged the mound. I like that kind of fire and I know the Sox play better with people like that on the field and in the clubhouse:

...not that I condone such behavior image
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Give J.D. Drew his props - you have to give him a lot of the credit for picking it up for Ortiz, and then Manny. Believe me, I was the first one to criticize him last year, but if he can keep his fragile ass on the field, he's one heck of a player.
    Jerry, where ya been? The threrad hasnt been the same without ya!

Agreed about Drew- He is hot right now and hopefully will keep it up. Definately deserves the props considering all the crap I talked about him as well.

<< <i>Jerry, where ya been? The threrad hasnt been the same without ya!

Agreed about Drew- He is hot right now and hopefully will keep it up. Definately deserves the props considering all the crap I talked about him as well. >>

the crap he got was deserved, remember that!

The praise he is getting now is also deserved...but I will need him to provide daily reminders image