Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Offical Baseball HOF Rookies Thread (Future HOF Rookies too)@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Love the Red and the Mathews. Great pickups, boys. Keep ‘em coming!

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

Well-centered and clean image, great eye-appeal for a "2." Congrats!

• Options

Very nice & respectable Mathews's rookie. Here's my newest:

• Options

Nicely centered Kaline rook, congrats Mike!

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

The 54 Al Kaline is superb
    Very nice pick up

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Posted these National pick-ups on the main board, but they belong in this thread too.

First, a couple of upgrades:

and...

I only saw two Berras in "8" at the Show; it was one of the big cards I was hoping to find:

And finally...

This card really struck me, the registration and color in particular. There's a crease in the top left (accounting for the technical grade) but the corners are pretty sharp. Really happy to now own this iconic card.

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Love it. The Mays is incredible.

• Options

Those are great cards The Perez is a screamer

Congrats on those pick ups.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Beautiful selection of cards, all of them. Let me know if you are letting go of the 7 Perez?

• Options

I imagine I totally dreamt this up but asking anyway - for some reason I thought the 2002 Topps Chrome Joe Mauer was in the Future Hall of Fame Rookies Composite. I went looking for it last night and saw it wasn't there. I'm assuming I totally spaced out on that one - correct? :)

• Options

I am not sure he is a HOFer

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

It was never there. And Jay’s right, Mauer very likely played his way out of HOF contention. I’d love to know what the heck happened to him.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

I think he is borderline but fading. There are a lot of guys in that Registry that need to be removed, as the only way they’re getting into the Hall is by buying a ticket. Looking at you, Sosa, Palmeiro, Gonzalez, etc..

• Options

@KingFisk said:
    I think he is borderline but fading. There are a lot of guys in that Registry that need to be removed, as the only way they’re getting into the Hall is by buying a ticket. Looking at you, Sosa, Palmeiro, Gonzalez, etc..

Completely agree with you, but PSA will never remove them.

• Options

@paleocards said:
    Posted these National pick-ups on the main board, but they belong in this thread too.

First, a couple of upgrades:

and...

I only saw two Berras in "8" at the Show; it was one of the big cards I was hoping to find:

And finally...

This card really struck me, the registration and color in particular. There's a crease in the top left (accounting for the technical grade) but the corners are pretty sharp. Really happy to now own this iconic card.

Beautiful additions Andy! Very well done. It was great seeing you and catching up.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options

The Perez and Bench are spectacular !!!

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

And here are two more upgrades I picked-up since the National (posted these on the main board earlier, but they should be "enshrined" here too...)

• Options

Yow

That Yaz is worth a bump try

Both are also spectacular

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2018 5:09PM

Beautiful upgrades Andy. Both cards are very strong for the grade. I was eyeing that Brock myself actually. Going to be a very slow go for me, but I will update with scans of my pickups to date.

Matt
  • Options

Thanks Matt, looking forward to seeing your additions.

• Options

Picked this up middle of the month. It absolutely blows my mind how much these cards are selling for now. I wish I would have kept my Post War HOF set when I had it nearly built the first time. I have a hard time swallowing these prices, knowing what I paid not that long ago. Anyway, I need to scan a couple more and will add those soon.

Matt
  • Options

I've had these for a little while, but want to add them. I have one more new addition to get scanned.

Matt
  • Options

Matt - that Koufax is a rarity, beautifully centered and hardly any print in the yellow background. In my experience (and I've been tracking every PSA 7 Koufax RC sold on eBay since I bought mine in 2008, that's 456 sales) you hardly ever see as good a centered/lack of print combo as yours. Well done.

• Options

Guys those are some very nice additions. The Musial is exceptional for how difficult that card is to find like that.

I am almost speechless on the Koufax. It may be the nicest 7 I have ever seen.

I am getting jealous !!!!

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

One last scan

Matt
  • Options

@paleocards said:
    Matt - that Koufax is a rarity, beautifully centered and hardly any print in the yellow background. In my experience (and I've been tracking every PSA 7 Koufax RC sold on eBay since I bought mine in 2008, that's 456 sales) you hardly ever see as good a centered/lack of print combo as yours. Well done.

100% agree. How is that not an 8, Matt?

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:

@paleocards said:

100% agree. How is that not an 8, Matt?

Both Andy’s, Blow up the top border and you will see some discoloration on the border. That’s the reason why it’s not a 8. Otherwise it’s a lock 8. I saw it before I bought and decided I could live with that, because I couldn’t find one with centering/ clean background combo. I’d been looking for one since 2008.

Matt
  • Options

My latest

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice Lemon!

I upgraded my Marichal last month. I only need Paige (the Bowman) to finish off the post-war set. If anyone gets a lead on a nice one in the 3-5 range let me know.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RookieHOFers said:
    I've had these for a little while, but want to add them. I have one more new addition to get scanned.

Love Vintage 7's :):) Nice Gibson.

• Options

That Lemon is (bitter) sweet!

• Options

@hyperchipper09 said:

@RookieHOFers said:

Love Vintage 7's :):) Nice Gibson.

Thank you! I’m becoming quite the fan of 7’s myself. So had my bank account :)

Matt
  • Options

Great Lemon Andy! Congrats on being one step closer.

Matt
  • Options

Amazing your down to one card Gator. Good Luck on the Paige Hunt.

Matt
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

Here's my upgrade to my PSA 6... if anyone is interested, it'll be up on eBay sometime this afternoon.

• Options

My latest pickup:

SUPER tough card. Only 2 graded by PSA and 1 by SGC. Makes for a nice addition to my Pre-War HOF RCs collection:

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/showcase/miscellaneous/20barry20-pre-war-baseball-hof-rcs/2607

• Options

Just awesome.

Andy your collection is probably one of the worlds best

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Can't wait to see everyone's sick Harold Baines and Lee Smith rookies! :p:p Both of mine are PSA 9s, I wish I'd gone for 10s!

• Options

Never thought to buy a 9 or 10 of Baines

didn't think I had to

I did pick a psa 8 Baines from my psa junk box

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    Never thought to buy a 9 or 10 of Baines

didn't think I had to

I did pick a psa 8 Baines from my psa junk box

I only had one because I was buying rookies of the top career hits leaders (trying to, anyway) and he was in the top 50.

• Options

Great card Andy, Congrats!

Matt
  • Options

Posted this on the main board but it should be here too. Upgraded my "7" that I bought raw from my favorite shop 14 years ago. With this card, I now have every HOFer RC from the 1960s to the present in PSA 8 or better.

• Options

Great accomplishment, Andy! Keep ‘me coming!

• Options

Super nice clean centered Perry !!!!!

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Well, since Lee Smith and Harold Baines are both in the HOF now...

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2018 11:10AM

Recently read a thread that showcased a collectors cards using a hard "photo equipment" case.
    Here's the thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1010794/the-107-868-lesson-my-book-and-starting-over#pagetop

I thought, "why haven't I ever thought of that?" and went on amazon and purchased this: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00A77C2LG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It definitely does the job, but if I were planning on taking these all over the place, I would upgrade to a more durable case.

The reason why I'm posting here is because this is how I organized my Post-WWII HOF Rookies

Even though I did my best to pre-plan, I still messed up and gave a couple of the "spots" a little too much room.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look thru this thread often but rarely contribute. Figured this sort of qualifies though I don’t know if it is a part of the Registry Set...

1933-36 ZeeNut PCL Joe DeMaggio (DiMaggio Hand Cut/Batting)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Love that Joe. D. Super rare. Thanks for posting!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    Love that Joe. D. Super rare. Thanks for posting!

I love it, too. I don’t mind the grade, either, as the wear doesn’t really impact the image of Joe in any way.

I have seen in my research that it’s believed that the batting is from ‘34 and the throwing from ‘35 but nothing I came upon felt ironclad about that. This was PSAs 10th (w/out coupon) and SGC has 7-14.*. I don’t feel it fair to include those WITH coupons because their scarcity and price are truly in a different stratosphere.

Lastly, I feel like mine got to PSA just in time to be properly preserved; I don’t know how much longer that right corner would have held up! Sure glad I held it raw, though. Quite a thrill.

*How do I read this correctly?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited December 29, 2018 9:31PM

Since we're sharing...here's my Joe D. MLB rookie:

I love this card. Very underrated IMO. I'm glad I got it before it skyrocketed like the '25 Gehrig (which I missed out on :/ ) did.