edited January 25, 2018 7:31PM

Yes, all of those players have legitimate previous issues:

1937 OPC/1941 Double Play Bob Feller
    1941 Double Play Johnny Mize
    1941 Double Play Phil Rizzuto
    1941 Double Play Enos Slaughter
    1941 Double Play Lou Boudreau
    1941 Double Play Joe Gordon

PSA seems to just go along with whatever Beckett says, even when it makes no sense. Really, the rules on rookie cards have suddenly changed? Give me a break. Since when is 1941 Double Play not recognized as a major issue??? PSA just can't seem to get out of their own way these days.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

@KingFisk said:
    I think the post-war Rookie registry just jumped the shark. Doesn't every one of these people has a pre-war card?

1941 Double Play?
    1938 Play Ball?
    I think even Gordon was on a Goudey premium of some sort?

This is an unbelievably ridiculous decision. It's hard for me to believe that more than half of the POST WAR HOF Rookie collectors don''t know what a POST WAR HOF Rookie card is. That said, they should never have been given the right to vote these in there in the first place. Maybe we should ask them if Rocky Colavito should be in the set. Half of them might say "Sure, he could play."

I can't wait for Joe Dimaggio and Ted Williams to join the set. Actually, why not 1948 Leaf Honus Wagner, 1961 Topps Walter Johnson, 1948 Leaf Babe Ruth, etc? Those make just as much sense.

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

@bobsbbcards said:

@KingFisk said:
    I think the post-war Rookie registry just jumped the shark. Doesn't every one of these people has a pre-war card?

1941 Double Play?
    1938 Play Ball?
    I think even Gordon was on a Goudey premium of some sort?

This is an unbelievably ridiculous decision. ** It's hard for me to believe that more than half of the POST WAR HOF Rookie collectors don''t know what a POST WAR HOF Rookie card is**. That said, they should never have been given the right to vote these in there in the first place. Maybe we should ask them if Rocky Colavito should be in the set. Half of them might say "Sure, he could play."

I can't wait for Joe Dimaggio and Ted Williams to join the set. Actually, why not 1948 Leaf Honus Wagner, 1961 Topps Walter Johnson, 1948 Leaf Babe Ruth, etc? Those make just as much sense.

I had the same thought. Who are these knuckleheads who voted for this change? I've collected this set for almost 15 years, spent a considerable amount of money and effort to finish it, and I'm now very seriously considering deleting it from my registry. I'm amazed that this happened. Any time I've proposed any type of change to a set that had any possibility to rock the boat, the patent answer from PSA has been that they don't want to make any drastic changes that will upset those who collect the set. Well, that's exactly what happened here.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • paleocardspaleocards Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, and...

yep!

Not obscure or regional sets, either, both mainstream and nationally-released.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2018 5:47PM

Posted this card before but not in this thread...

1936 R312 Joe 'DiMagio' DiMaggio

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Hi guys, I have not posted in a while.

After the 2016 boom, I sold most cards & purchased a 1973 450SL. Now I have made a little profit on the car & back to my HOF rookies.

Now collecting just 1st ballot HOF rookies, I went over to Post War HOF Rookies & was shocked to see the additions of Feller, Mize, Gordon etc...As you all say, it makes NO sense at all! I started the restricted set & when I asked for some of the same type of changes, I was told that because others had already added that card, that it would not be fair to them. But that certainly is not the case here. One thing for sure, if this is a result of a vote, what does that say for the majority of the set holder?

• :) Well, what do you know? I was checking to see if the new HOFers were added & I see they eliminated the prewar HOFers. Looks like they have made it an optional choice and not counted in the set. So somebody is listening to you all!

@CocoaBeachDodgers said:
    :) Well, what do you know? I was checking to see if the new HOFers were added & I see they eliminated the prewar HOFers. Looks like they have made it an optional choice and not counted in the set. So somebody is listening to you all!

Actually, PSA is sending out another poll, this time only to the top 50 collectors on the set. Based on the results of that poll, those 6 cards will stay or go.

• @shagrotn77 said:

@CocoaBeachDodgers said:
    :) Well, what do you know? I was checking to see if the new HOFers were added & I see they eliminated the prewar HOFers. Looks like they have made it an optional choice and not counted in the set. So somebody is listening to you all!

Actually, PSA is sending out another poll, this time only to the top 50 collectors on the set. Based on the results of that poll, those 6 cards will stay or go.

That sounds reasonable. I have not heard anyone argue to keep these players or what the reasoning is to include them?

@CocoaBeachDodgers said:

@shagrotn77 said:

@CocoaBeachDodgers said:

That sounds reasonable. I have not heard anyone argue to keep these players or what the reasoning is to include them?

Good point my friend. I also haven't heard a peep from anyone in favor of this change. Hopefully, us top 50ers can right the ship!

• KingFiskKingFisk Posts: 14
    edited January 25, 2018 8:05PM

@shagrotn77 said:

@CocoaBeachDodgers said:

@shagrotn77 said:

@CocoaBeachDodgers said:

Good point my friend. I also haven't heard a peep from anyone in favor of this change. Hopefully, us top 50ers can right the ship!

Honestly I would love to hear from someone in favor. I can’t wrap my head around the rationale for including these and am curious to hear the so-called “very good arguments” referenced in Gayle’s email today. Anyone want to take a crack at it, or at least be devil’s advocate?

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted no as well for all.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭

Good job to those who voiced their opinions. It is encouraging that PSA listened and created a 2nd poll to make sure that is what the collectors wanted. I agree with the previous posts and voted "no" for the same reasons. Let's see what happens.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

@KingFisk said:

@shagrotn77 said:

@CocoaBeachDodgers said:

@shagrotn77 said:

@CocoaBeachDodgers said:

Honestly I would love to hear from someone in favor. I can’t wrap my head around the rationale for including these and am curious to hear the so-called “very good arguments” referenced in Gayle’s email today. Anyone want to take a crack at it, or at least be devil’s advocate?

I've seen one guy on a facebook group advocate for adding them. He said something along the lines of "I just like them in the set."

Playing devil's advocate, I think the best argument is that the set already includes guys who have earlier issued cards (Jackie Robinson and Berra come to mind, with 1947 Bond Bread issues) and 1941 Double Play is not a set that is widely known or collected in the larger hobby and really should be considered on par with non-mainstream issues like Bond Bread, Plus, the HOF restricted set already includes 1948 Bowman for Feller, Mize, Slaughter, and Rizzuto, and the 1949 Bowman of Gordon (but that set uses 1941 Double Play for Boudreau, so it's an internal mess). So what's the difference in including them in this set, since it's already got cards that aren't "true rookies" and other sets already include these cards?

• @graygator said:

@KingFisk said:

@shagrotn77 said:

@CocoaBeachDodgers said:

@shagrotn77 said:

@CocoaBeachDodgers said:

I've seen one guy on a facebook group advocate for adding them. He said something along the lines of "I just like them in the set."

Playing devil's advocate, I think the best argument is that the set already includes guys who have earlier issued cards (Jackie Robinson and Berra come to mind, with 1947 Bond Bread issues) and 1941 Double Play is not a set that is widely known or collected in the larger hobby and really should be considered on par with non-mainstream issues like Bond Bread, Plus, the HOF restricted set already includes 1948 Bowman for Feller, Mize, Slaughter, and Rizzuto, and the 1949 Bowman of Gordon (but that set uses 1941 Double Play for Boudreau, so it's an internal mess). So what's the difference in including them in this set, since it's already got cards that aren't "true rookies" and other sets already include these cards?

Thanks - I thought that might be it (the 1941 Double Plays not being the most iconic or widely collected set). I guess the better answer in that case would be tossing out all of the cards that aren't "true rookies" rather than widening the tent. ;)

Put me in the camp of collectors who considers '41 DP a legitimate, mainstream issue. The food issues, IMO, are not.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Give that man a Bud Light Dilly Dilly

The restricted RC set also has cards of players who have previous card issues.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • ZBobZBob Posts: 102 ✭✭

What about new HOFer's that need to be added

edited January 26, 2018 7:40PM

Already requested them, Bob. PSA will probably want this mess cleared up before they add them. 1991 Bowman Chipper and Thome, 1992 Bowman Hoffman and 1995 Bowman’s Best Vlad. BTW, I thought you were only a basketball card guy? :)

• @jay0791 said:
    Give that man a Bud Light Dilly Dilly

The restricted RC set also has cards of players who have previous card issues.

It's not "restricted RC", it's just "restricted" set, so it is very difficult to compare the 2. The restricted set was suppose to be a prewar & postwar RC set. Another words, a HOF RC set. Unfortunately, I made a huge mistake when submitting the set. I thought PSA, being the expert in the matter, would choose the best cards for the set. If I had it over, I would have done all the homework myself and submitted each card for the set. They came up the the wording "restricted", I wanted what could be every players true RC, but there are differences of opinions regarding that. I also wanted some of the players to have optional cards as the Bowmans & Leafs do in the regular HOF sets, but they refused that request. All well, live & learn.

There are actually more non-rookie cards than rookies in the Restricted Set. Disappointing since I collect both pre- and post-war HOF RCs. Maybe we should create a first MLB card set and not call it a rookie set. I’ve thought about putting one together. I’m not sure if PSA would go for it though.

Give that man another bud light Dilly Dilly

I would follow Andy's lead.

Actually I would also be in favor of optional cards..........with differences in weighting.
    The guy who presented a hard to find (leaf vs bowman for example) in higher graded (and subsequently much higher cost) should get a higher value in the set.

The 48 leaf Jackie is immeasurable harder to get and afford vs the 49 Bowman n the same grade. The collector should be rewarded for pursuing the tougher challenges.,

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • ZBobZBob Posts: 102 ✭✭

I collect all sports HOF RC'S that are autographed on the card by the player. So having a good set of the autographed version of this set. First I would look at the WAR was from 1939-1945. Don't see a during war rookie set. The fact is these Players lost 3 YEARS of their playing career serving in our military service for us all and how many did not come back? COME ON MAN 1941 double play 1 year issue is good for a bookmark at best. I would vote all of the cards into the autographed version of this set. PSA IS GOOD AND SHOULD NOT HAVE BACKED DOWN change happens so deal with it

The 2 MLB players who did not come back were not well known. One had only 17 at plates and the other played only 2 innings. That's it. Most know players were given non combat jobs. Joe D played baseball in the army.
    Phil Rizzuto claims to be the worst sailor ever. Yogi Berra's rocket launching ship was just off the coast supporting the D Day invasion. I know Warren Spahn was wounded in the battle of the buldge Hank Bauer was badly wounded at Okinawa and saw the worst of it all. Jerry Coleman flew over 100 combat missions over Europe. 1/3 of them didn't come home. 2 NHL'ers didn't come back. Many in the NFL went also. For the most part the athletes answered the call.

1941 1st series was already produced by Dec 1941. 2nd series followed in early 1942. Cardboard was in short supply and used primarily for the war effort....Nobody cared about baseball cards at this time....so none were produced.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • @ZBob said:
    I collect all sports HOF RC'S that are autographed on the card by the player. So having a good set of the autographed version of this set. First I would look at the WAR was from 1939-1945. Don't see a during war rookie set. The fact is these Players lost 3 YEARS of their playing career serving in our military service for us all and how many did not come back? COME ON MAN 1941 double play 1 year issue is good for a bookmark at best. I would vote all of the cards into the autographed version of this set. PSA IS GOOD AND SHOULD NOT HAVE BACKED DOWN change happens so deal with it

Well, it's nice to finally see a different opinion. I do not agree with you for the many reasons stated in above posts, but I do respect & understand what you are saying with the exception of "change happens so deal with it". I prefer to not be a lamb & to stand up for what I believe in. Changes for the worst in my opinion should be contested in a positive manner. This exact subject has come up multiple times in the past and by voicing our opinion we have been able to squash the idea.

I, again, voted "no" on all 6 proposed additions. I'm looking forward to those being dropped (hopefully) and the four new BBWAA inductees being added soon.

As the current #1 on the Hall of Fame Players Restricted set, I just want to say thanks to CocoaBeachDodgers (Mike, right?) for proposing this composite. It's a helluva fun and challenging set to work on, and I'm really pleased how it's grown in popularity over the last several years (31 sets registered at the end of 2015, 42 at the end of '16 and 57 at the end of last year). I know there are issues with some card selection in the set, and Mike has acknowledged and tried to correct many, but all in all, I'm very pleased with its comprehensiveness and the competition it's encouraged among its registrants.

My 2-cents.

• Thank you for the kind words Andy. To have 68% of this mega set is truly amazing, congrats & keep it going.

You are 100% right reminding us that all though it's selection is not perfect, it's got some super cards in its checklist: From the 19th century Old Judges, to the T206's, CrackerJacks, Goudeys, Play Ball Dimaggio & Williams, Caramelo Deportivo's & the super hard to find Toleteros Josh Gibson. Than you have all the post war rookies, it is quite a set & you have the best.

C B D Andy is Shagrotn77
    My fault I shouldn't have mentioned a name. However Andy and I have been collecting friends for at least 10 years now.....so I would rather be a little more personal BTW I deeply respect his knowledge and his collection. It is filled with very high end cards If he said a card doesn't belong in a set then I would tend to agree with him. .

I am doing the restricted set however I lack almost all the cards prewar and have nothing older than T206.

Nothing is perfect especially when individuals are involved. Best case scenario is get most of it right and please most of the people.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

Jay - btw I'm also an Andy.

Well don't I put a big foot in the mouth

My apologies.

Well Andy I also admire your sets. The completeness without sacrificing quality is exceptional.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

How about a shout-out to the 2018 HOF Class?

And I just added this important RC to my collection this week:

Great stuff, Paleo. Congrats on the Doby!

• Not that I pay much attention to a particular cards weight in the registry, but I did notice that we have 2 cards from the same year, both 1st ballot that SMR values are about the same, the higher weighted has almost twice the examples and one is weighted 1.0 while the other is weighted 3.0 They are the Steve Carlton RC & the Joe Morgan RC. I understand Carlton had a better career but seems to me the Morgan should be weighted 2.0 like many of the other cards around his era, he is the only one with a 1.0 weight around the era. Now we are talking 1st ballot HOFers, not HOF rookies or Restricted Set. On HOF rookies they are both weighted 2.0.

PS: What a beautiful Doby rookie, sharp corners & near perfect centering, great colors & focus, would not look out of place in a 9 holder IMO. Way to go Andy. :o

• RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys, Hopefully there are a few of you around and we can get a little interaction on this thread. Crazy to me how active this used to be. I'm going to start building this set again, albeit in lower grade in the past. I sure do regret parting with my collection when I did..... But lets focus on the future. Here are my pickups so far, and I will start the set on the registry soon. I hope a few of you are still active. It looks like Andy still is!

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball

A couple more additions:

Matt

Matt

Robin Yount RC at PSA being recased. I will post when it comes back.

Matt

Great adds, Matt. That Musial is really sharp.

I added these two in the last couple of months to bring me to 100% on the first ballot set. I only lack Paige and Mathews for the full post-war rookie set.

Great pickups guys. Keep ‘em coming!

Welcome back, Matt. Beauty Musial, Banks & Gibby for their grades.

Will you be in Cleveland this summer?

@paleocards said:
    Welcome back, Matt. Beauty Musial, Banks & Gibby for their grades.

Will you be in Cleveland this summer?

I will be in Cleveland this year Andy. I hope to see you and catch up.

Matt

@graygator said:
    Great adds, Matt. That Musial is really sharp.

I added these two in the last couple of months to bring me to 100% on the first ballot set. I only lack Paige and Mathews for the full post-war rookie set.

Beautiful cards Gator! I like both a lot.

Matt
  • dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭

Really nice pick ups. The Musial and Koufax jump off the screen.

Are you guys interested in adding cards to the future HOF set? I feel like several cards have graduated to the HOF set and there have not been many additions to the Future set. I think that Garvey and T.Simmons are interesting additions. Any other ideas?

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • CocoaBeachDodgersCocoaBeachDodgers Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

just picked this one up, any chance of a small bump?

Nice willie but a bump...probably not.

Ted Simmons at this point has no chance for the HOF.
    He was specifically looked at recently and didn't make it

Not sure about Garvey

Both great players

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

Made a good deal with tonyetrade for this one: listed for a $1250 BIN, I asked if he'd be willing to re-list as a Best Offer for $950. He came back at $995 and I pulled the trigger during a 10% eBay $$ offer so the final net to me was just under $900. Very pleased with the centering on this RC.

Very nice red and at a great price

Congrats

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • CocoaBeachDodgersCocoaBeachDodgers Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Not only great centering, but a very clear image on the RED. Great card just as most of your HOF rookies, top of the line for their grades!

Probably the best centered Schoendienst I've seen. Great pick up.

I added this one yesterday. Pretty happy with the eye appeal for a 2 on a tough and expensive card.