Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Offical Baseball HOF Rookies Thread (Future HOF Rookies too)@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

May as well get these up, too:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

My latest HOF RC pickup:

What this lacks in technical grade and eye appeal, it makes up for in rarity. PSA has only graded 6 to date (PSA 4 with a qualifier is the highest grade) and there are only 2 in SGC's pop report.

My pre-war HOF RC set (soon to include a '26 Gehringer):

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/showcase/miscellaneous/20barry20-pre-war-baseball-hof-rcs/2607

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting that cool Combs, Andy. I've never seen that card.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Andy
    You better not be buying Yankee cards out from under me LOL

Super nice

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    Andy
    You better not be buying Yankee cards out from under me LOL

Super nice

After I get Red Ruffing and Bill Dickey rookies, the rest are all yours, Jay ;) .

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

A couple of upgrades, and two members of the 2019 class (IMO the Rivera RC is one of the stupidest looking baseball cards ever, whatever possessed them to photograph these guys in their civvies?)

• Options

congrats

they all look dead centered and perfect in every way.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Two more HOF newbies (neither of whom I would have voted for, but so much for editorializing...)

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2019 1:16PM

I had both the Topps baines and smith rookies graded 9. I bought them originally as maybe HOF selections, but i sold them a few years ago assuming they’d never get in. Well they’re in and now I have to rebuy them at a much higher price. Pretty sure i paid for and sold them both for around the $20 range each.

Though I did luck out and now seem to have quite the score buying my Halladay chrome psa 10 for $25 a few years ago on eBay. Luckily I held onto that one.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2019 5:58PM

I've been meaning to pick up a Mussina Ultra rookie for a while now. I don't collect the set but I've always liked him. I might have to wait a bit for this to calm down a little before I pull the trigger.

• Options

Smart buy on the Halladay RC, Orioles93. I wish I was that prescient, now it's going to cost me 10-20X what you paid.

• Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Here’s the only graded Halladay signed Bowman Chrome rookie, so far:

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

My strong personal preference would have been HOF RC registry set inclusion of 1991 Leaf Gold Rookies for both Bagwell & Mussina instead of the 1991 Ultra ones. Oh well. The Leaf ones are still the ones I'll keep in the PC.

• Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Leaf gold rookies were inserts to the Leaf set, and the registry never uses a player’s insert card for a rookie card set. Them’s the rules.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    My strong personal preference would have been HOF RC registry set inclusion of 1991 Leaf Gold Rookies for both Bagwell & Mussina instead of the 1991 Ultra ones. Oh well. The Leaf ones are still the ones I'll keep in the PC.

When the Future HOF Players set was put together, Ultra was the best rookie for those players. It later shifted to Bowman (based on what's accepted in the set), but PSA won't stray from what's in the Future HOF Players sets.

• Options

And my final two of the 2019 HOF class...

• Options

Picked up this beauty.

• Options

Super nice Fisk

Nice pick ups gents

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Another one I added. Not sure if he qualifies for possible future HOF candidate through the committee.

• Options

Nice card
    Lynn will never be a hofer

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    Nice card
    Lynn will never be a hofer

Probably true, but I said the same for Baines, and we all know how that turned out.

• Options

This card represents a big milestone for my collection. I bought my 1st Frank Robinson RC raw from my favorite shop in 2002 and it came back a "6" after I submitted it to PSA. With this upgrade, I now have every HOFer RC since 1956 (Aparicio) in PSA 8 or better. This is as far back as my consecutive streak of "8's" or better will possibly go since I'll never own the Clemente RC in NM-MT (mine's a 5).

I'm very pleased with this card's centering (both front & back), color and corners. The only detraction is the fish-eye on the left side, and I can live with that. It didn't come cheap but it's one of the nicest FRobby RCs I've seen.

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

That's a great looking Robinson!
    What's keeping it from bumping?

• Options

That Robinson is gorgeous.

Here’s one I finally nabbed for my Canadian PC. 87 Leaf is one of my all time favorite sets.

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2019 8:19AM

I was able to add a Paige today.

• Options

Nice color and centering, a good-looking "4"! Congrats on adding that iconic card to your collection.

• Options

A few HOF adds from recent purchases...

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Added a Lee Smith, the final card I needed for the post-war registry. After nearly 5 years collecting the set, I'm done.

https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset/184143

• Options

That Robinson is simply spectacular

All nice additions. The 49 Paige presents great with the centering.

Congrats GrayGator on set completion that is quite the achievement.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Way to go, Gator! That’s an awesome accomplishment!

• Options

Congrats on completion!

• Options

Just got this badboy in the mail today. Couldn't be happier!

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone notice how the Mussina rookies did not really move before HOF voting and afterwards? I am surprised it did not move any higher. Larry Walker did get a boost perhaps people are beginning to realize that he will get in someday.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

That is a super nice Schmidt
    centering is all there!!!!

I hope Larry Walker gets in. He was my Fav player for many years.
    Complete 5 tool player

Besides that :anyone who goes o the plate VS Randy Johnson in full catchers equipment deserves to get in.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

That Whitey RC is off the charts nice. Congrats!

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Walker gets in, what is the card to have for the PSA Rookie registry?

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

That’s Whitey is gorgeous... one day I might get back into the Post WWII HOF registry instead of just the 1st ballot HOFers.

• Options

@orioles93 said:
    If Walker gets in, what is the card to have for the PSA Rookie registry?

1990 Leaf.

• Options

I've always found this Schmidty pre-RC card/sticker to be pretty cool and the time was finally right to grab one:

• Options

I love that M Schmidt. Got the Goose?

That Whitey is just awesome.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    I love that M Schmidt. Got the Goose?

That Whitey is just awesome.

Don’t have the Goose yet, but I definitely want it. I do have the ‘73 Rice.

• Options
    edited April 3, 2019 2:47AM

Had a new addition and one upgrade.
    There r far and few for me
    Posted in honor of Andy's nice Schmidt.
    The greatest 3rd basemen of all time IMO.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Color me jealous, Jay. Great cards!

• Options

Gorgeous Schmidt RC, Jay, & ditto on Andy's pre-rookie!

• Options

My recently acquired Gehringer RC:

• Options

super nice

Is that a true and only RC?

Many of these guys have RC;s much earlier than the restricted set card

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

You know how I roll, Jay. True RCs or bust. Unfortunately, the restricted set is full of non-RCs.

• Options

This is a great resource for HOF rookie cards:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/rookies/RookiesList.asp

I particularly like that it gives you options, as prewar can be quite subjective (what is and isn't considered a "card", etc).

• Options

My latest HOF RC - a SUPER toughie that's one of only 3 that PSA has graded: