Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Offical Baseball HOF Rookies Thread (Future HOF Rookies too)@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comments

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Super nice Dickey
    Is 1931 his earliest issues?

Total pop of 3 on this card. Talk about a scarce card!!!!!

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, Jay, Dickey's earliest card.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

Super nice Eck.
    Centering is great

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

true beauty

congrats

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Richie is a toughie in high grade. Congrats on the pickup!

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
  • Options

Just had 3 HOF RCs cross from SGC to PSA:

And I upgraded my Luke Appling RC a few weeks back:

You can see these and the rest of my pre-war HOF RCs here:
    https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/showcase/miscellaneous/20barry20-pre-war-baseball-hof-rcs/imagegallery/2607

Also, if anyone is interested, I have a PSA 1 '31-'32 Exhibits Appling for sale.

• Options

Also, the Maranville is just a placeholder. I prefer my cards not to have large holes in them. :)

• Options

Nice cards Andy

I have to say I have never heard of Rusie.

When hunting Rabbits you are shooting a tad high.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    Nice cards Andy

I have to say I have never heard of Rusie.

When hunting Rabbits you are shooting a tad high.

You've never heard of Famous Amos? Lol. He was also kinda the Nolan Ryan of the 1890s. He led the league in strikeouts 5 times and also led in walks 5 times. He also won 30 games 4 years in a row.

• Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool batch of cards, Andy. I'm still looking forward to my first Old Judge acquisition.

Well done!

• Options

@paleocards said:
    Very cool batch of cards, Andy. I'm still looking forward to my first Old Judge acquisition.

Well done!

Thanks! The Rusie is my first OJ. Might be the last, too. I just wanted one to represent the set, which is very expensive to collect.

• Options

My latest. Pretty excited to add a 110+ year old, HOF "RC error," in PSA 9 (the lack of corners certainly helps!), to my collection. Only one other "9" (and none higher). Hooper never played for the Braves, so the "Nat'l" designation was a mistake and presumably corrected later by the "Am.L." version. PSA has graded 7 of the N.L.'s and 19 of the A.L.'s (highest graded A.L. is an "8").

• Options

Very nice Hooper! Did you get that from Kris Keppler? I think I remember him having it for eons.

• Options

Yep, that's the one. I made an offer and their "counter" hardly budged from the original asking price. But after looking at recent sales of commons in "9" I decided that their price wasn't that far out of the ballpark for what a HOFer in "9" should be, so I pulled the trigger.

• Options

@paleocards said:
    Yep, that's the one. I made an offer and their "counter" hardly budged from the original asking price. But after looking at recent sales of commons in "9" I decided that their price wasn't that far out of the ballpark for what a HOFer in "9" should be, so I pulled the trigger.

Very nice. I got my 8 from him about 15 years ago.

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

I see they added the 48 Bowman Mize back to the Post-War set. Was there another poll? I didn't get it if so. How many times do we have to go through this, and how do we get it fixed again? I'm seriously considering just retiring the set at this point.

• Options

I saw they added it but never received a poll. I just started collecting again about 2 years ago. Was there some controversy over its inclusion?

• Options

See discussion starting on page 25 of this thread from 2017, which was the second time we’ve been through this since I started the set. In short, Mize has an earlier mainstream rookie in 1941 Double Play and there are like 5 or 6 other guys similarly situated that you’d have to add for consistency. Probably a new employee who doesn’t know what they are doing responding to a request from a new collector who also doesn’t know better.

• Options

Well I emailed and they say they are going to fix it. Score one for PSA responsiveness and reasonableness.

• Options

Great info. Thanks!

• Options

So what card will they use?

I believe Mize has pre 1941

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

He has a 1936 R312. He just won’t be in the post war set at all, which is how it’s been, since his rookie, however defined, is pre-war.

• Options

So that this bump has a card at least, here’s a fairly recent pickup.

• Options

So glad you won that card, Michael! Thank you for taking the reins on the Mize addition. I've spearheaded the collective unrest the last few times the erroneous '48 Bowman cards were added to the set. I just didn't feel like expending the energy again. This whole thing about Bowman changing their definition of rookie cards for certain players 70 or more years after they were released is absurd. It really is (or at least SHOULD be) a very simple concept - first mainstream card. Period. End of story. Sigh.

• Options

That is the nicest PSA 2 I have ever seen in any player.
    Gorgeous Roush!!!!!!

In the other 3 mainstream sports sets there are cards that are not true RC's in them as well

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    That is the nicest PSA 2 I have ever seen in any player.
    Gorgeous Roush!!!!!!

Thanks! It’s the harshest grade of any card I own. But I like harshly graded cards because then I can afford them. Here’s the back. I believe the little scratch on the “ckh” in Ruckheim is all that accounts for the grade.

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    So glad you won that card, Michael! Thank you for taking the reins on the Mize addition. I've spearheaded the collective unrest the last few times the erroneous '48 Bowman cards were added to the set. I just didn't feel like expending the energy again. This whole thing about Bowman changing their definition of rookie cards for certain players 70 or more years after they were released is absurd. It really is (or at least SHOULD be) a very simple concept - first mainstream card. Period. End of story. Sigh.

Thanks for making sure I saw the Roush!

It’s kind of mystifying how it keeps happening with the Bowmans. Supposedly it was an error on a spreadsheet they use but seems like that should’ve been resolved last time around. I guess we’ll revisit in a couple years!

• Options
    ABellPharmDABellPharmD Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2021 2:06PM

Has anyone put in a request for Rolen lately? With him eclipsing 50% on the last vote, you'd think we would all decide to add him to the future registry. I think we're tougher than the writers sometimes. Here's my latest addition for the bump.

I collect Cal Ripken cards, T206, E95, E210, R319.
  • Options

That Kaat is a beauty! Very tough to find centered. I requested Rolen for the set back in January. I have a different request pending from July 29th of last year, so I wouldn't anticipate any polls going out for Rolen any time soon.

• Options

Well a pretty extensive poll was just circulated. I think how you vote probably depends on what your conception of the future set should be. I think I’m leaning toward it being more inclusive and cover most people who have an okay, even if not great, shot at getting in. But I think you should at least be hall eligible (10 years in MLB) before going in this set.

I’m leaning no on Williams, Rollins, Hamels, Betts, and DeGrom. Undecided on Flood, Smith, and Wagner. Lean yes on the others but interested in hearing other’s thoughts on what the set should be and how we should decide who to include.

KEN BOYER

CURT FLOOD

TONY OLIVA

TOMMY JOHN

DICK ALLEN

REGGIE SMITH

AL OLIVER

THURMAN MUNSON

STEVE GARVEY

BERNIE WILLIAMS

BILLY WAGNER

SCOTT ROLEN

JIMMY ROLLINS

ZACK GREINKE

COLE HAMELS

MOOKIE BETTS

JACOB DeGROM

• Options
    edited July 9, 2021 5:41PM

Some of these guys have no shot. Boyer, Flood, Reggie Smith and Al Oliver to name a few. I voted yes on Oliva, Allen, Wagner, Rolen, Grienke and DeGrom. John, Munson and Garvey could also get in, but none have come close on recent ballots. I’m not ready to call Betts a HOFer yet. Minoso should have made the list. I think he has a great shot later this year.

• Options

Agreed on Minoso. I think Boyer has a shot. 3b is pretty light in the hall and he may the best one other than Rolen not in. Flood I would like to see in on a contributor type theory but I don’t think he ever will get in, which is why I’m undecided on him.

• Options

I like Boyer, but he hasn't even been on any of the Vets committee ballots in recent years. Hard to get in if you're not even a nominee.

• Options
    PistolPete2020PistolPete2020 Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited July 9, 2021 8:13PM

I’m kinda new to this thread and this registry (~18 mths). Have guys like Mattingly and Keith Hernandez already been voted on? I only ask because I’m about to vote on what i feel are weaker candidates.

• Options

@shagrotn77 knows the history better than I do, but I don’t think either has been voted on in the 6 or 7 years I’ve been doing the set.

I would probably add Joe Mauer to the list to be voted on. Is there a consensus on his key rookie? Bowman probably?

• Options

Players of his era rave about Bill Freehan.

A nice PSA 8 Munson will now run you $700

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@graygator said:
    @shagrotn77 knows the history better than I do, but I don’t think either has been voted on in the 6 or 7 years I’ve been doing the set.

I would probably add Joe Mauer to the list to be voted on. Is there a consensus on his key rookie? Bowman probably?

I don't recall ever being polled about Mattingly (my favorite player, BTW) or Hernandez. In terms of HOF voting, Mattingly was up for consideration by the Modern Era committee in 2017 and 2019, but did not come close either time. I don't recall Hernandez being on a ballot after he fell off the Modern ballot (his highest voting percentage was 10.4%) after 2004. The standards have obviously been lowered ever since Baines got in, so maybe we will see Donnie Baseball in the HOF at some point. I think Hernandez is a loooooong shot.

Great call on Mauer. Not sure if he'll be first ballot, but I could see him getting in (despite being a well below average player for his last few years). He's the kinda guy the HOF likes to represent it. Stuff like that matters, whether we like it or not. I think Bowman is his key rookie, but I'm not 100% certain. I started asking around a few months back and that seemed to be the consensus.

Jay, yes, Freehan does get mentioned a lot as a potential HOFer. 11 AS appearances and 5 Gold Gloves is nothing to sneeze at. Ted Simmons election may have opened the door for him, but only time will tell.

• Options

I like Freehan too. In fact I just added a Freehan a couple days ago and am waiting on delivery.

• Options
    edited July 10, 2021 9:34AM

Super Freehan
    Last night during the Yankees game they had a short clip with Mickey Mantle describing his 535th HR at Detroit
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mantle+535&view=detail&mid=415E19441E779196BCFE415E19441E779196BCFE&FORM=VIRE

Did you guys know D Mcclain is a sports card dealer and sets up at shows.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2021 11:42AM

Yes I’ve met McLain a few times at shows.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

A good friend is a dealer and has set up several times besides him.
    Last time he got him to sign a baseball....
    sorry Dan ( Bosox fan ) but it said, "F--- Ted Williams."
    Not sure where the animosity started.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

I think this is going to be an interesting election year for the 2 era committees that are meeting. It seems that the Hall wants the committees to elect more folks in general, which is why they came up with the new system, and then there was no era elections last year. After this year, the Golden Days era won't meet for 5 years and the Early Baseball committee for 10 years, so there may be some pressure to elect at least a couple from each committee. Any early predictions?

I would like to see Dick Allen and Minnie Minoso from the Golden Days era, in keeping with the venerable hall of fame tradition of waiting until guys die before electing them. I guess Bill Dahlen has a good chance from the Early Baseball committee. Does Wes Ferrell get another look with Ohtani bringing good-hitting pitchers back into prominence?

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m very pro Minoso

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just my opinion. Reggie Smith/Steve Garvey takes me back to when I first started watching MLB. I'll also support Minoso.
    Some of these fellas need to get in line for a Hall Call behind Dwight Evans, Dave Parker and Dale Murphy in my opinion only. I think each of those 3 have RC's in the future HOF set. I think, I may need to check :)

KEN BOYER: Yay. Should already be a HOFer

CURT FLOOD: Nay

TONY OLIVA: Yay

TOMMY JOHN: Yay. Should already be a HOFer

DICK ALLEN: Yay. Should already be a HOFer

REGGIE SMITH: Nay

AL OLIVER: Nay. I like Al also, but...

THURMAN MUNSON: Yay

STEVE GARVEY: Nay

BERNIE WILLIAMS: Argh, love Bernie. Vital dynasty cog but Nay

BILLY WAGNER: Yay

SCOTT ROLEN: Yay. Should already be a HOFer. His name leaps off the page imo.

JIMMY ROLLINS: Nay

ZACK GREINKE: Yay

COLE HAMELS: Nay

MOOKIE BETTS: More Work to do

JACOB DeGROM: More work to do

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    A good friend is a dealer and has set up several times besides him.
    Last time he got him to sign a baseball....
    sorry Dan ( Bosox fan ) but it said, "F--- Ted Williams."
    Not sure where the animosity started.

They clashed when Ted managed the Senators.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this year Alex Rodriguez is on the ballot?

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

@stwainfan said:
    Is this year Alex Rodriguez is on the ballot?

Yes, A-Rod and Ortiz are the two new big names on the writers ballot this year.