I have heard of him. He left baseball and started a hotel chain

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 1:27PM

Picked up a Rizzuto, which unless I'm forgetting one, puts me complete from 1939-present (except for the scarce Cuban cards of Negro Leaguers). For cards older than 1939 I will focus much less on "rookie cards," for several reasons: defining what counts as a card and what counts as a rookie, scarcity of many first year issues, I don't particularly like oversized cards like the Exhibits, and I also don't really like most strip cards. So for most players I will be focusing on the earliest, relatively mainstream card I can find.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

As a Yankee collector I am loving that card.
    I am with many of you concerning what is and not a true RC.
    The Rizzuto should be his true RC.

I also don't card for exhibits as a RC and hate strip cards

If it wasn't in a pack its not for me.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019 5:53AM

@jay0791 said:
    As a Yankee collector I am loving that card.
    I am with many of you concerning what is and not a true RC.
    The Rizzuto should be his true RC.

I also don't card for exhibits as a RC and hate strip cards

If it wasn't in a pack its not for me.

We have a lot of overlap in our taste so I wanted to ask a question:

How do you workaround the early guys? Specifically Gehrig and Ruth? I never liked the idea of ‘33 being a ‘rookie’ with it being so late in their career and with so much prior issuance.

Genuine question.

I agree on Phil:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

If the question was for me.

On Ruth & Lou I can't afford them so I don't worry about them !!!!

This set was put together by one individual who requested this set. The cards he wanted are the card on it.

I generally go with the flow. However I do believe the true rc should at least be a card that is reasonably available.

There is a list of true RC's from a link above from shag77. The 33 is not even close for he babe. However who can really afford he 1916 sporting news????

I collect cards of hofers so I would want a nice 33 Goudey even if it were not a RC.

Many of the 33 Goudey are not

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

Just got these back from PSA...All three were cards I cracked out and received a huge bump!

The Willie went from a PSA 5...to this....

This was a Beckett crack out....

The Griffey went from a PSA 9...to this....

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, pdub, awesome!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭

My two HOFer RC purchases from the National:

And the card I went up to Chicago for...

The crease makes it affordable for me, there's a blotch below the "Y" in Mickey, and it's centered high. But the left-right centering is excellent, the borders are bright white and most importantly for me, the image is clean (no print), the color pops and the focus is spot-on. I think I'm going to enjoy this card for a long time.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

Love the Mantle. The color and focus are top notch. Congrats!!!

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

Both great cards! I picked up this one in Chicago, my first Cuban card of a HOFer from the Negro Leagues.

• Options

Great Dandridge, gator!

• Options

Boy, I can't believe this thread was buried on the second page! Well, here's my attempt to get it going again.

In anticipation of next month's election, here's my Jeter RC. Finally picked mine up a couple of weeks ago for (what's now) a pretty good price on an 8.5, but I wish I pulled the trigger a couple of Nationals ago when I could have gotten it in this grade for $700-$800.

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

Upgraded my Banks to the below...went from a PSA3MC to a PSA4.

• Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently picked up this 1929-30 Exhibits Mel Ott Rookie psa 6.

• Options

Cool Ott RC! (With the added bonus of an additional HOFer, Bill Terry.)

• Options

@redlegs said:
    I recently picked up this 1929-30 Exhibits Mel Ott Rookie psa 6.

Glad it stayed in the family! That was my consignment. I downgraded to a 4 to free up some cash.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

Well somebody needs to show a Simmons, I guess. Thank goodness for a little foresight on this one. I would not pay the going rate these days.

• Options

Smart buy, I wish I had your powers of prognostication.

• Options
    edited December 14, 2019 10:48AM

Very nice Ted
    I have had one for years (and Garvey) just because I liked them as a player.
    I need another for my 1971 set.
    Wish Munson and Mattingly got in...but its no big crime they didn't

Very nice Ott. My friend from above usually doesn't give up stuff without one higher in his super collection.
    If so it's top shelf all the way.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

There was a PSA re pole about Yadier Molina card for the registry.

Does anyone know the results?

It was topps before

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

I haven’t seen anything yet, was Jay. I have no idea how Topps was even chosen in the first place. Topps Chrome is always more valuable.

• Options

TY

Even Bowman Chrome is a better choice.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

How are people voting on the Votto poll that just came out?

• Options

A big fat no on Votto from me. Good player, but not a HOFer.

• Options

even fatter no from me.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

122 on Hall of Stats so I don’t think it’s impossible for him if he puts together a couple more good years. I thought it was likely two years ago but he seems to be in a pretty steep decline at this point. On the whole I’m also a no, at least for now.

• Options

Very nice, Andy - tough card.

• Options

Those look great together! Glad you were able to grab that Vance. What an accomplishment to gather those three into the same collection.

• Options

They are all super nice.
    I have ever heard of the 1924 Diaz
    My congrats

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that Diaz trifecta is one of the most amazing things I’ve seen on CU!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    CocoaBeachDodgersCocoaBeachDodgers Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have any information on which Yadier Molina's rookie card will be in the HOF set once he is voted in? I know it is usually the same as in the Future HOF, but I read that there was a vote for some reason? I guess some do not like his regular issue Topps?

• Options

Topps for Molina, which I completely disagree with. Topps Chrome is clearly the more valuable of the 2.

• Options

A couple of recent pickups. Apparently both of these issues were in-store premiums, where you could take a couple of gum wrappers to the counter and and exchange for the cards or pictures or however you want to classify them. Close enough to gum cards for my collection. They aren't going to win any condition beauty contests, but that's okay with me for my pre-war cards.

• Options

A couple of very nice pickups. Congrats!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@graygator said:
    A couple of recent pickups. Apparently both of these issues were in-store premiums, where you could take a couple of gum wrappers to the counter and and exchange for the cards or pictures or however you want to classify them. Close enough to gum cards for my collection. They aren't going to win any condition beauty contests, but that's okay with me for my pre-war cards.

You are ruining my watch list!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

My newest addition: :)

This is 1 of just 2 graded by PSA with the other being a qualified 3. Of Ott's 3 rookie card options, this is my favorite because it's card-sized and also much rarer than his Exhibits or Kashin rookies.

• Options

Awesome pick up Andy. Your collection should one day reside in Cooperstown.
    This latest presents better than the grade.
    Personally I think you have reached PSA collector HOF status.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    Awesome pick up Andy. Your collection should one day reside in Cooperstown.
    This latest presents better than the grade.
    Personally I think you have reached PSA collector HOF status.

Lol. Will you give my induction speech, Jay? :)

• Options

Love the Ott.

Wish there was more activity in this thread. I know there’s more people buying these than just me and Andy. Here are my two latest. Scanner is down so pics today instead.

• Options

Would love to contribute but all I’m doing is stocking up on the future HOFs like Pujols, Suzuki, Kershaw, Verlander.... etc. they feel a little intimidated to be shared here against these legends lol

• Options

Your Schalk looks way nice than a 2, Michael. Nice pickup. I dig seeing the pre-war HOF RCs!

• Options

@PistolPete2020 said:
    Would love to contribute but all I’m doing is stocking up on the future HOFs like Pujols, Suzuki, Kershaw, Verlander.... etc. they feel a little intimidated to be shared here against these legends lol

I like seeing those too, and “future“ is right there in the thread title!

@shagrotn77 said:
    Your Schalk looks way nice than a 2, Michael. Nice pickup. I dig seeing the pre-war HOF RCs!

Thanks! I’m no expert on the set but Cracker Jack grading seems to be all over the place. The card has an appropriate amount of caramel staining, which to me is a feature not a bug.

I guess the Ruffing may not be a true “rookie” but since you have the only Diaz Ruffing PSA has graded, I’m counting it!

• Options

A few years before their popular Topps Update cards of 2008, Upper Deck did their USA baseball cards in 2005

reminiscent of the 85 McGwire.

• Options

Verlander has an Olympic card, too. I really like them. Strange that McGwire’s Olympic card is considered a rookie and these aren’t. 🤔

• Options

Yeah was wondering why these didn’t get the same respect as the McGwire. Weird, unless it’s a Topps vs UD thing. Thanks on Verlander. Didn’t know about that one and will check it out.

• Options

Knocked off another tough one.

• Options

Wow, that's a great-looking Heilmann. Centering couldn't be better. Congrats!

• Options

While we're sharing, here's the '31 Dickey I recently picked up:

I'm still on the hunt for the '31-'32 Exhibits card with Dickey on it if anyone has one for sale or trade.