Home Sports Talk
Options

NY Yankees 2008 Run at the World Series

Comments

• Options
    pettite was a very good pitcher on superior teams. Santana was a brilliant pitcher on mediocre teams. Santana has 2 Cy young awards and should have 3. I can't argue that Pettite was a dominant pitcher and post-season stud; that doesnt make him the better player.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Johan is a great pitcher. Andy Pettitte is a great pitcher. You are trying to compare NL to AL numbers which in itself is flawed. Have at it but these types of debate are pointless. All Andy has to do is knock you out with a one two punch with all of those World Series rings on his fist. And yeah, he EARNED those rings image >>

Didn't Johan win 2 Cy Youngs while pitching in the AL? Not to knock Petite, who's been a fine pitcher, but his ERA in world series appearances is identical to his career ERA (3.84 vs. 3.82).

• Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    The Yanks are picking a nice time to go into an offensive death spiral. Big next ten days at hand here fellas.
  • Options
    Bad move Girardi. Melky is like 0 for his last 19. We've got the tieing run on first with none out in the bottom of the ninth, and Melky is a good bunter.

Sure let Melky swing away into a double play! Nice one Joey!
  • Options
    Yeah, that was terrible - especially with Damon on deck having a decent night and Jeter pinch hitting in the hole... I couldn't believe it when Melky took strike 1.... On a positive note, the Robertson kid looks like he could be helpful in the pen.
  • Options
    The bats come alive!!!!!

Better late than never, and let's carry it into the Red Sox Series.
  • Options

<< <i>The bats come alive!!!!!

Better late than never, and let's carry it into the Red Sox Series. >>

+1
  • Options
    Really pathetic tonight, guys. Even Jeter killing things early.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Yes keep it up the rest of the series!

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tis the Curse of Torre that lives in Yankee stadium.

I hope all you Yankee fans enjoyed the game just half as much as I did. Nothing better than shutting you guys out at home. 9 games back in the loss column and SINKING.

Thanks for the pathetic performance Andy, talk with Rasner before the game today and give him all your pointers. No doubt you guys are looking forward to playing the Rays at home next week. Only good thing going for you is that it's only a 2-game series.

Josh Beckett hopefully will ruin your 4th of July.
  • Options
    wow, just one game to bring the trolls back into this thread...
  • Options
    Did I say trolls? I only meant 1, MCLMMMVXC or whatever - most of this "red sox fan"s post are in the Yankee thread, and 90% of them (at least) are just plain dumb..

<< <i>Tis the Curse of Torre that lives in Yankee stadium. >>

Actually this curse lives at Dodger Stadium. Seen their record lately?

<< <i>hope all you Yankee fans enjoyed the game just half as much as I did. Nothing better than shutting you guys out at home. 9 games back in the loss column and SINKING. >>

The Yankees have a better record at the break this year than last, with more injuries this year.
  • Options

<< <i>Did I say trolls? I only meant 1, MCLMMMVXC or whatever - most of this "red sox fan"s post are in the Yankee thread, and 90% of them (at least) are just plain dumb..

<< <i>Tis the Curse of Torre that lives in Yankee stadium. >>

Actually this curse lives at Dodger Stadium. Seen their record lately?

May I suggest you take a deep breath and realilze this is mostly BS in cyberspace. However, since my post(s) appear to annoy you, I would also suggest that you simply not read what I write.

The MAJOR problem with you Yankee's fans is that you feel entitled, your'e supposed to win, so, when you get a little heat thrown at you, you can't stand the ribbing. I can assure you that I'll continue to post until the webmaster decides otherwise.

As for Torre, I bet you that he is lovin' life, and laughin' like hell at the dumbasses managing the highest paid team, who's record is DISMAL.

Your pitching staff is about on life support, the exception appears to be Mussina, who I thought was washed up. Your middle relief is about as bad as the Red Sox, and, like Papelbon, Rivera can't do it all. The "Yankee Savior", aka Joba, isn't exactly living up to expectations. You have a very long season ahead, I doubt you'll even come close in the WC run.

So, like I said, next time I post, just skip over it, you'll feel better.

Other than that, have a nice 4th.
  • Options
    Man did we need that win. Mariano making us sweat though.
  • Options

<< <i>Man did we need that win. Mariano making us sweat though. >>

That was some 9th inning, eh. Mariano sure does get the strike calls due to his reputation. Great pitching by moose. Maybe he'll
    get his first 20 win season this year. However, the curse of Arod (a.k.a. Mr. Choketober) will unfortunately sadden Yankee fans for
    years to come.
  • Options

<< <i>However, the curse of Arod (a.k.a. Mr. Choketober) will unfortunately sadden Yankee fans for years to come. >>

Probably right image. But at least we'll have Madonna to sing the National Anthem image.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>However, the curse of Arod (a.k.a. Mr. Choketober) will unfortunately sadden Yankee fans for years to come. >>

Probably right image. But at least we'll have Madonna to sing the National Anthem image. >>

I think MCMLVTopps should be invited to sing at the stadium. I'd pay to see that.image
  • Options
    Yeah baby, nice comeback win tonight. Gardner, way to go. This kid is the peskiest lead off hitter I've seen in a long time for the Yanks. If he can hit a little more he'll be a keeper.

BTW, Joba pitched very well and he struck out Ellsbury to end that inning the Sox rallied. I don't care what that ump thinks image.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gardner looks good. Not good for average but hitting the ball well and fouling lots of pitches off. More like years ago when the batters ate up pitchers pitch counts. Fast as can be too.

I was happy that I watched the game at a Red Sox fans house. Makes it sweeter.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Yanks are really missing the boat on Rent-a-pitchers....Sabathia, Haren, and Gaudin all now spoken for.
  • Options

<< <i>Yanks are really missing the boat on Rent-a-pitchers....Sabathia, Haren, and Gaudin all now spoken for. >>

Who do the Yanks have to offer ? I don't think they have anyone to offer in a trade. Hughes or Kennedy ? I think not.
    The only thing the Yankees can do is throw money at teams. They have little to no prospects at all. They have no bench, so
    they really have to keep everyone they have on the club.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MCMLVTopps ....

this clown is a hack two bit closet Sox fan. With his little bird chest all puffed out because the red Sox have done something in the past few years that the Yankees have been used to FOREVER. What the SOx have done recently is not a mere pimple on a pimple of Yankee success over the years. MCMLVTopps is the type of two bit closet horse crap fan who will yell for hours that Yankee fans are not allowed to be happy about their COMPLETE dominance for almost ...... well .... forever. He is the bottom of the garbage can slime nut who in 15 years .... when the Sox have not won another damn thing ..... will be yelling about that glimmer of Sox pride the past few years.

Good for you ya hack of a fan!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Oh, and before this nut bag has a chance to reply let me just say that I thank him for stirring the pot. I will now be around more then enough to knock his dirty red sox off.

Did anyone tell this nut bag that the Tampa Bay Rays with their measely salary structure are making his glimmer of success Red Sox look like fools too? image Where are the days of these fly by night Sox "fans" crying about salary? oooooops ... the Sox are now gluttons too .... so its okay image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    A total gem by Pettitte tonight image
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    The Yanks needed a win tonight, Great pitching by Petttte. Keep it up!!!
  • Options

<< <i>
    Who do the Yanks have to offer ? I don't think they have anyone to offer in a trade. Hughes or Kennedy ? I think not.
    The only thing the Yankees can do is throw money at teams. They have little to no prospects at all. They have no bench, so
    they really have to keep everyone they have on the club. >>

Actually, the Yankees would have plenty of minor league players to offer. They very quickly built up their minor league system. Trenton is in second place in their division with a .545 winning pct.

Their AA team is in first place in their division. Single A teams doing well too. You dont play that well unless there are players performing.

Yes, pitching has been the focus but there is plenty of talent down there for the Yanks.
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, and before this nut bag has a chance to reply let me just say that I thank him for stirring the pot. I will now be around more then enough to knock his dirty red sox off. >>

You make yourself look like a complete fool with your childish rant. Typical of a LOOOOOOOOOZER Yankees fan to spout off about all the past WS wins, blah, blah. Too bad you can't discuss current games, you're clearly one of those LOOOOOOOOOOOOOZER Yankees fans that feels so entitled that you just can't grasp just how BAD your team is...but, keep living in the past with all those wins and records. Get a clue, this is 2008 and your team is PATHETIC. Your pitching is PATHETIC, some of your players are PATHETIC, and your current record is PATHETIC.

You guys like to dish it out, but when someone steps up and throws a little mud, you have to go off the deep end because you can't take it. Typical of a hate-filled person to attack the poster instead of the content of the post

Keep venting all that rant and anger...you are so typical of a Yankee fan who just can't take it, all you guys like to do is attack and make youselves look stupid, very, very stupid. BUT, bring it on, ALL you Yankee guys, pile on if you think it'll make you feel better. That you have to call me all kinds of names means NADA to me...it just shows how really shallow and childish you (and your ilk) are and you do nothing but embarrass yourself with such silliness.

What a TOTAL embarrassment the All-Star game will be in the last year at King George Stadium.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.......this is 2008 and your team is PATHETIC. Your pitching is PATHETIC, some of your players are PATHETIC, and your current record is PATHETIC..... >>

I understand you felt attacked, but that is a very poorly thought out opinion. Here are some pitching stats, and I wont even mention the name of the best closer in baseball who is 23 for 23 so far this season.

Mike Mussina..............11 - 6 with a 3.93
    Andy Pettitte.................10 - 6 with a 3.64
    Chien-Ming Wang........8 - 2 with a 4.07
    Total..............................29 - 14
    Daisuke Matsuzaka.....9 - 1 with a 2.84
    Josh Beckett..................8 - 5 with a 3.70
    Jon Lester.....................7 - 3 with a 3.38
    Total..............................24 - 9
  • Options
    Lets not forget the closers

ERA Saves/Opportunities
    Rivera 1.12 23/23
    Papelbon 2.27 27/31
  • Options

<< <i>You make yourself look like a complete fool with your childish rant. Typical of a LOOOOOOOOOZER Yankees fan to spout off about all the past WS wins, blah, blah. Too bad you can't discuss current games, you're clearly one of those LOOOOOOOOOOOOOZER Yankees fans that feels so entitled that you just can't grasp just how BAD your team is...but, keep living in the past with all those wins and records. Get a clue, this is 2008 and your team is PATHETIC. Your pitching is PATHETIC, some of your players are PATHETIC, and your current record is PATHETIC. >>

May I suggest you take a deep breath and realilze this is mostly BS in cyberspace, just skip over it, you'll feel better.
  • Options
    The Red Sox have a team 3.81 era. The Yanks have a team 4.15 era. The Sox have a +50 advantage over the Yanks in
    runs scored/runs given up. Both teams are behind the A's, White Sox, Rays, Blue Jays, and Angels in team pitching.
    Boston has 30 saves. The Yanks have 25 saves. Teams are hitting .243 against Boston and .263 against New York.
  • Options
    Great pitching by Pettitte and a big performance by the Captain. Loved watching the worst defensive shortstop in the game go deep into the hole to make an inning and probably game-saving play. Let's hope for the 2 game sweep today - hopefully Ponson has it together, he didn't look too good last time out and Jackson is tough at Yankee Stadium...
  • Options

If there is one thing I know .... its when to attack a clown. Sometimes .... an attack is warranted. There are plenty of great Sox fans on these boards. This clown is not one of them. The second this clown stated "the problem with Yankee fans is ...." I had to act. His little bird chest all puffed out whining about all that matters is now ..... image

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    +1 for a softy sighting.

Does anyone else see the irony of a BoSox fan calling Yankee fans loosers?

My, how much times have changed in just 4 years...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Gotta love Melky and Molina up there with the game on the line - great ABs, guys...
  • Options
    The Captain works the walk and Abreu is clutch so A-rod doesn't have to be. Nice win.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>The Captain works the walk and Abreu is clutch so A-rod doesn't have to be. Nice win. >>

How did Tennille do?
  • Options
    Walk off hit for Abreu! Nice win.
  • Options

<< <i>How did Tennille do? >>

Awesome, as always.
  • Options
    Good job Yankees. We knew we could count on you. image
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I was going to say the same thing . . . what a weird day it is when I find myself actually rooting for the Yankees.
  • Options
    Do you think the Yanks can ever hit for Joba? The 22 year old has like a 2.50 ERA as a starter. You would think they would give this guy some help.
  • Options
    Just gotta tip your cap to Halladay and move on.
  • Options
    Tough to get excited about the win yesterday when we lost one of our most beloved Yankees. Heavy hearts will be on the field today.
  • Options
    You guys go into the all star break in better position then you were last year. That has to be encouraging in a jekyll and hyde season.
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Dang, lost to the Jays tonight 4-1!
  • Options

<< <i>You guys go into the all star break in better position then you were last year. That has to be encouraging in a jekyll and hyde season. >>

The Wild Card is way up for grabs. Not a very impressive AL this year.

• Options
    Classless Yankee's fans boo JD Drew when he receives the AS game MVP award. So typical of the Yankee fan arrogance and stupidity to not recognize a special moment for the award recipient, no matter what team he plays for.

May your season continue to sink, you so richly deserve the grief.
  • Options
    oh please, like dem classy goiys up in da boston yard would have done anything different.

get over yourself and your high and mighty fellow boston fans, at least he didn't get pelted with batteries 8-)

Heck we were booing him at home (and especially Manny) (and then doing the golf clap for him when he went yard to get the A.L. back in it)
  • Options

<< <i>oh please, like dem classy goiys up in da boston yard would have done anything different. >>

Get a clue, for a few hours last night JD Drew was on the American League team, along with other Yankees players. It's one thing to trash an opponent when he's introduced, but only bush league, chump change, arrogant fans would trash the MVP, especially if he just played on YOUR team.

Get a second clue, apparently you've never been to a Red Sox- Yankees game in Fenway. You'd be amazed at the number of standing O's the Red Sox fans have given YOUR pitcher as he was being taken out of the game after pitching a good game.

May the second half of your season be as dismal as the first.