Home Sports Talk
Options

NY Yankees 2008 Run at the World Series

Whoooooo!!! Opening day starts in 5 days
Let me be the first to say in 2008
Lets go Yankees!

Comments

• Options
    You're lucky we (the Sox) didnt get Santana :-)

Good luck iun 08 man.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    already???????
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>already??????? >>

Agreed! I refuse to even think about Baseball until AFTER the Super Bowl!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guy,

Great job getting the flow going! The very fact that New England fans felt the need to chime in says alot. How dare you start this thread and try and take away from 19-0 that has not even happened yet?! ....... The New England fan is now feeling the same sense of entitlement and arrogance that Yankee fans have been accused of since the dawn of sports. NOTHING will be better to segway into spring training then knocking off the Pats ....... geeezzz..... in the past baseball threads about specific teams have started in December for crying out loud. I don't care what any Pats and Sox fan think about the this thread. My goodness are they obnoxious image

GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I said I refuse to get focused on baseball until after the Super Bowl, but boy oh boy I cant wait for a good ol' fashioned AL East battle with the Yanks! I LOVE our chances, and yes Im confident we will repeat as AL Champions!

SO............What Im getting at is how about our annual sig line bet Dan? So far we are even steven!

Sox/Yanks loser of AL East has to don the others colors. You know the drill Dan!
  • Options

<< <i>

Sox/Yanks loser of AL East has to don the others colors. You know the drill Dan! >>

He knows it ALL TO WELL

go patsies!
  • Options
    No Yankee player will go to the world series without an admission ticket - they will need to visit Fenway Park or Shea Stadium. (My early prediction).
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sox/Yanks loser of AL East has to don the others colors. You know the drill Dan! >>

He knows it ALL TO WELL

go patsies! >>

My goodness do you fruitcakes have SHORT TERM memories image Not to mention you all have ALOT more winning that needs to be done to be on par with late 90's Yankees.

PAST 10 AL EAST TITLES
    1998 New York Yankees 114-48
    1999 New York Yankees 98-64
    2000 New York Yankees 87-74
    2001 New York Yankees 95-65
    2002 New York Yankees 103-58
    2003 New York Yankees 101-61
    2004 New York Yankees 101-61
    2005 New York Yankees†† 95-67
    2006 New York Yankees 97-65
    2007 Boston Red Sox

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    How about Cano's extension? Is this going to make him slack off a little or will it help make him more comfortable? I hope to see a huge year out of him.

Hopefully Beckett wrecks his shoulder patting himself and the other sox on the backs for their good 2 - 3 year run after ALL those years of frustration and futility image
  • Options
    One Boston team down, one to go image
  • Options
    i can see it now, schilling's gonna pitch with a bloody shoulder pad now image
  • Options
    I think the Red Sox are better with Buchholz in their regular season rotation, and
    then have Schilling possibly replace him on the post season staff.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread. There's nothing else like AL East baseball, and
    good luck to the Yankees.
  • Options
    nice to see the yanks are bypassing the bigtime serious cash (400 million+ ?) and not selling out the naming rights to the stadium. Could you imagine the world series being played from w.b. mason field or the ballpark at modells?
  • Options
    probably secondary at this point, but please tell me the yanks have no intentions whatsoever of having anything to do with the "sparkler" this year. I can't imagine the clubhouse vibe if he is there, (shuddering)
  • Options
    Joba's picked up a 3rd pitch, oh man, it gets better every day!
    Whats the deal with all the other posts, hacked account, or kitty sleeping on the keyboard maybe?
  • Options
    Joba has always had 4 pitches, but they told him not to use them all in the pen.
  • Options
    and the nice thing is the rest of the league hasn't seen them yet, sweet
    good vibe coming off the club this year, nice and relaxed so far image
  • Options

<< <i>
    good vibe coming off the club this year, nice and relaxed so far image >>

guess NO news is GOOD news?

IS Joba gonna have a fly swatter this year?

• Options
    27 days 19 hours+ til opening day, can't wait, its gonna be a great year!

Pitching for the first time in a long time is going to be a true asset (not just a bunch of overpaid, washed up vets on paper) image
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    There is still time for the Yanks to get a bunch of washed up overpaid guys into the rotation isn't there?
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is still time for the Yanks to get a bunch of washed up overpaid guys into the rotation isn't there? >>

Is that bothering Yankees haters that they dont? Gosh, I hope so! imageimage
  • Options
    It was quite a story the other day that there were Yanks players that admitted they were not in top shape starting the season last year. Singleton on yesterdays game was saying how Girardi is whipping these guys into shape good....lots of running, lots of conditioning. If Yanks didnt have all the early season injuries last year, who knows how the AL East would have shaped up. Girardi wants to prevent that this year.

I was really happy that if Torre wasnt the skipper then Girardi would be chosen. I think Girardi is bringing new life to that club and there are a lot of guys who want to prove themselves this year. Still a lot of questions in that bullpen though.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it will be odd not seeing Torre in the dugout this year
  • Options
    odd, but nice fire thats been missing for quite awhile now that the "other" Joe is in there,
    can't wait!

Off topic, but does anyone else get the yankees on directv with the hd package? (its extra in addition to the extra innings package), well worth it, YES does a tremendous job on their high def broadcasts, you won't be sorry you got it!
  • Options
    how does Melky get 3 games, when Back-Attacker Gomes only gets 2?
    Duncan getting 3 is fair, taking one for the team
  • Options

<< <i>Off topic, but does anyone else get the yankees on directv with the hd package? (its extra in addition to the extra innings package), well worth it, YES does a tremendous job on their high def broadcasts, you won't be sorry you got it! >>

I get it on our local cable system - it's the reason I bought a new TV before the season this year. Between the Sabres all winter and the Yankees all summer my wife won't ever get to touch the remote. I concur 100%, YES does a great job with the HD telecasts...
  • Options
    Hopefully this extended road trip will take some of the wind out of the sox's sails early. Opening day is getting closer, can't wait!
  • Options
    so after the sox go 1-1 in japan, does that mean we are back in first place again image

five days to go!!!
  • Options
    1 pm tomorrow, jays, then rays then a mini with the sox, hope they had some bad sushi

The second Joe era starts tomorrow, may it be as successful as the previous one!
  • Options
    Rained out today, dang! and i took off work to see it, oh well, tomorrow at 7:05 we'll try again!
    Go Yankees!
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rained out today, dang! and i took off work to see it, oh well, tomorrow at 7:05 we'll try again!
    Go Yankees! >>

Since I am on the west coast now I have a chance to see the opener. I live in Cali and have tickets to 5 games in Sept.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>Rained out today, dang! and i took off work to see it, oh well, tomorrow at 7:05 we'll try again!
    Go Yankees! >>

No sweat. Baseball shouldn't begin until the month of April anyway image
  • Options
    tru dat

• Options
    Wow, I thought Halladay's head was going to explode tonight. Nice, efficient game pitched by Wang. Now let's finish this win!
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Good opening day win! image

Arod, Abreu, Melky, Wang, Joba, Rivera, a great team effort image
  • Options
    This team looks new and refreshed, especially in attitude. I hope this is the real deal.
  • Options
    even more telling of a new attitude, halladay had 3 innings where he only threw 4, 5, and 7 pitches (not good for the yanks since thats 3 quick outs), but it shows a new aggression at the plate.

Great win!, lets do it again tonight
  • Options
    #519 and not much more, ugh

lets try again tonight
  • Options
    I'm excited to see Hughes pitch tonight. Typical April-Rod game last night - the HR down 5, then the K with two on and nobody out in the ninth. So glad he re-signed!
  • Options
    I can't believe I'm going to stick up for A-Rod but I am; his 2 run shot last night was huge, it put the Yanks back in the game with plenty of time left to get another 3 runs to tie it. Just because we didn't get those 3 runs shouldn't reflect on A-Rod. We won 94 games last year, hate to imagine what that # would have been without A-Rod's 156 R.B.I.s.
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't know how we would have won all those championships the last 4 years without himimage

The Arod argument has been done to death on these boards, but in short - Every year I try, but I guess all of his stats will never impress me. Arod was pretty quiet during the late season run last year, his first half numbers were huge on a mediocre team. I wish another team had wanted him as bad as he thought they would. As much as it hurts to say, I'm not sure that we'll ever win a World Series with this guy on the team.
  • Options
    Who in the hell greenlighted the Latroy Hawkins signing?
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see Farnsworth-less has picked up right where he left off....

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭

<< <i>Who in the hell greenlighted the Latroy Hawkins signing? >>

I think we all new that this was a disaster in the making. It won't be long before he's assigned to permanent mop up duty.
  • Options
    Didn't Vizcaino (sp?) get off to a slow start last year too ?
    Or is Hawkins not in Vizcaino's league ?
    Didn't Viz pitch half way decent in the 2nd half last year ? Some of these guys need time to warm up. Just look at Manny.
  • Options
    its another one of those - if it was the latroy of 5 years ago it would be a different story (he was solid at one point),
    but then again its early, and it is ugly looking up at the rays and orioles image
  • Options
    He had a couple decent years as a set-up guy in Minny and 1 ok year as an emergency closer withthe Cubs, but coming into the season he had the worst Yankee Stadium ERA of any active pitcher. He was so bad as a starter early in his career me and one of my college roomies used to lay the odds and bet against the Twins every single time he started...

<< <i>Some of these guys need time to warm up. Just look at Manny. >>

Robinson Cano is looking to be another slow starter - I think some of these guys just hate playing/hitting in the cold weather...
  • Options

<< <i>

Robinson Cano is looking to be another slow starter - I think some of these guys just hate playing/hitting in the cold weather... >>

Robinson Cano is one good young player. I think I heard the Yankee fans chanting "Paul O'Neill" when Hawkins was pitching.
    Hawkins wears Paul's old number. Why were they doing that ? Do they want Hawkins to give up Paul's number ? Was Paul announcing
    in the booth, and the game was so out of hand that liquor started to take over ? It was confusing to me.
  • Options

<< <i>Robinson Cano is one good young player. >>

Yup, and he'll hit a ton once the weather heats up.

<< <i>Do they want Hawkins to give up Paul's number ? >>

Maybe - Hawkins sucks and Paulie O. did give us 9 great, hard-played seasons that included 4 World Series rings...image