Home Sports Talk

NY Yankees 2008 Run at the World Series

Comments

• uuggghh, last place, yes, the season is only a few games old, but bleechh, the view stinks from here!

Lets finish this series up and get out on the road already

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭
    What a nicely pitched game by Wang! Now the Yanks just need to finish this thing off!

Nice to see Frank Thomas hit a grand slam against the Bosox and ruin Beckett's return! hehe...but to give Beckett his due, he did pitch well on his return.
  • thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    The Joba-Mariano late inning combo is so deadly image
  • Nice job today men. Tough to win vs. Wang, no matter who we have pitching.
  • joba is frickin lights out!

very nice win today (although the bats are still very cold), and it puts the redsox in their rightful position, our rear view mirror image
  • Good to see Matsui moved back up in the lin-up - I hope it's not just a one game thing. Was kind of odd to see him in the 8 hole to start the season...
  • bats are heating up finally. lets keep it rolling
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭
    Horrible game today. But what is also horrible is David Cone in the booth. Poor Ken Singleton did his best to keep the game going smoothly. Cone needs speech classes or something. Not only that, he is biased when it comes to the Royals. He loves the Royals and always will. He shouldnt be allowed to call those games on YES. Actually, just fire him.
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>David Cone in the booth. he is biased when it comes to the Royals. He loves the Royals and always will. He shouldnt be allowed to call those games on YES. Actually, just fire him. >>

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAW!!!!!

<< <i>Horrible game today. But what is also horrible is David Cone in the booth. Poor Ken Singleton did his best to keep the game going smoothly. Cone needs speech classes or something. Not only that, he is biased when it comes to the Royals. He loves the Royals and always will. He shouldnt be allowed to call those games on YES. Actually, just fire him. >>

Agreed! Cone should never call any games...ever! And I thought that Singleton put me to sleep.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was funny last night when that Melky guy ran right into a tag from Grudz, then Grudz was able to throw to first for the DP. Mark was shaking his head thinking, what an idiot. image
    Yanks are looking old, slow, and not very bright. Good luck on getting a rainout tonight, or should we get the brooms out?
    Awesome complete game by Wang! imageimage
  • heartbreaker last night, should be nice in primetime tonight, plus Jeter should be back tomorrow hopefully, at least the orioles have come back down to earth and everyone else stinks right now.

Any yanks fans here that have season tickets?

I'm thinking about making the trek from the fields of GA with my 2 sons to the stadium so they can enjoy it for the first time before it goes away.
    Mid to late summer works best, would need 4 decent seats, so pm me and let me know what you've got available!
    thanks!
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats up Fellas! Rubber match tonight!

Lets get it on! image
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They dug up Papi's jersey from the new Yankee stadium foundation. The curse on Papi's hitting is now lifted!! Thanks!! image
  • They should of put Big Papi's Big ass under New Yankee stadium. He's killing my fantasy team and I definitely wouldn't miss his production if he just happened to disappear.
  • bleccchhh, the view stinks from back here, what's it gonna take to wake up this slumbering giant???

other than middle relief the pitching hasn't been that awful, just no sticks

oh well, lets try again tonight
    Hi fellas! Nice series.

imageimage
  • Man, after Wang and Pettitte the starters are sketch-y. Now Joba's gone for a few days to tend to his pop - let's hope the warmer temps help the bats...
  • Lets go Yankees indeed! image

Giovanni
  • WTF is goin' on tonight?!?!?!? C'MON GUYS!!
  • nice to see da leader back out on the field tonight, hopefully cano is finally heating up, but the middle relief still stinks.

Hopes and prayers going out to Joba and his Dad, their story is pretty amazing.

Go Yanks!
  • 2 in a row, Jeter 3 knocks, bring on the sox image

<< <i>2 in a row, Jeter 3 knocks, bring on the sox image >>

You want us? YOU GOT US!!!!!!!! image
  • LOL, I love when they say . . .

" Sell out crowd "

Of course it's a sell out crown !

In thw orse of weather it's a sell out crowd , with people outside still beggin to get it !
  • Yankees Baseball!!!!

We beat, what was that team called again??? image

Giovanni
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Yankees Baseball!!!!

Giovanni >>

I think that team was called the Your Daddies.

• << <i>

<< <i>Yankees Baseball!!!!

Giovanni >>

I think that team was called the Your Daddies. >>

Whatever there called, image them!

Lets GO Yankees, baby image

Yankees is the best name brand you could imagine, as that other team is to Payless image

Giovanni

• << <i> think that team was called the Your Daddies. >>

1.) Scoreboard

2.) Last 90 years - 26 rings to 2.

• TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>

<< <i> think that team was called the Your Daddies. >>

1.) Scoreboard

image >>

I hate to split hairs, but 90 years ago (in 1918) we won the WS so that would be 26 to 3, thank you very much.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i> think that team was called the Your Daddies. >>

1.) Scoreboard

image >>

I hate to split hairs, but 90 years ago (in 1918) we won the WS so that would be 26 to 3, thank you very much. >>

Von dont bother with that tiresome old rhetoric! Especially from a fellow who associates himself with any team from Buffalo image
    Good game guys- you just outslugged us. image
  • Memo to Moose tonight -Don't pitch to Manny.
  • Guess he didn't get my memo...image
    Sorry!!! I will delete the pic soon, just had to do it! image
  • Manny is death to us the way Ortiz used to be.
    I got rid of it- I wont resort to guerilla warfare... image
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You Yankee's guys are in for a Looooooong season with your dismal pitching. After Wang and Pettite it all goes downhill from there. The Doofus brothers should have bid the moon for Santana instead of let him pitch across town for your local rival. Mussina is toast, and I'll bet he retires at the end of the season.

Oh yes...keep talking trash about all those rings and WS stuff. You like to live in the past, and can't suck up to the fact that your team (as in NOW) is in bad shape. But, I do enjoy your trying to hold on to ancient history...it is amusing. Losing Joe Torre was a HUGE blunder, he was the glue and the leader of the whole show. Dumb, dumb, dumb to let him go.

BTW, last 4 years, Red Sox 2 WS wins vs how many for the Bronx chokers? Not to mention the SHOCKING comeback in 2004, which I dearly loved. What do the Yanks have now, a bazillion rings since the creation of time? Keep living in the past, 'cause it ain't gonna happen this year either. You will not even make the post season in '08.

Thanks to the Moose for a dismal outing. Farnsworth's stupidity last night will come home to roost, just a matter of time.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Manny is death to us the way Ortiz used to be. >>

sorry about that. We hope to correct the problem soon and ensure Ortiz and Ramirez are death to you.

• << <i>You Yankee's guys are in for a Looooooong season with your dismal pitching. After Wang and Pettite it all goes downhill from there. The Doofus brothers should have bid the moon for Santana instead of let him pitch across town for your local rival. Mussina is toast, and I'll bet he retires at the end of the season.

Oh yes...keep talking trash about all those rings and WS stuff. You like to live in the past, and can't suck up to the fact that your team (as in NOW) is in bad shape. But, I do enjoy your trying to hold on to ancient history...it is amusing. Losing Joe Torre was a HUGE blunder, he was the glue and the leader of the whole show. Dumb, dumb, dumb to let him go.

BTW, last 4 years, Red Sox 2 WS wins vs how many for the Bronx chokers? Not to mention the SHOCKING comeback in 2004, which I dearly loved. What do the Yanks have now, a bazillion rings since the creation of time? Keep living in the past, 'cause it ain't gonna happen this year either. You will not even make the post season in '08.

Thanks to the Moose for a dismal outing. Farnsworth's stupidity last night will come home to roost, just a matter of time. >>

Wow, did that make you feel better for the day? Just come over for a quick bash? How come you didn't write that after we creamed you on Wednesday night?

• << <i>You like to live in the past >>

<< <i> Keep living in the past >>

<< <i>Not to mention the SHOCKING comeback in 2004 >>

Keep living in the past.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Gem Mint...

Yup, it did make me feel better. And calling Wednesday night a "creaming" is a joke.

Keep dreaming about all those past history rings and stuff...we'll see who's gonna be where in October. And, it ain't gonna be the Yankees by a long shot. Your pitching staff is dismal, face it. King George's sons missed a golden opportunity to improve pitching, but failed to pull it off. If Pettite or Wang get hurt, you guys are gonna really be in the tank.

BTW, I'll be around, good or bad. Congrats on the Wednesday night win. Oh, how's that Damon thing working out for you guys?

<< <i>Yup, it did make me feel better. And calling Wednesday night a "creaming" is a joke. >>

You're right. 15 runs is not a creaming. It's a slaughter.

You guys have your own problems. Let's see there's the incredibly overrated (15-13 last year Dice K) who was given a lead the other night and gives up 6 walks. News story for you, he's an ok pitcher and that's it. Other than Beckett you don't have a single starter that scares me. Ortiz looks like his career is over and no deep line up to pick up the slack, and a middle relief that is gone. Boy did Timlin and Taverez age overnight or what.

No repeat for you guys.

<< <i>Your pitching staff is dismal >>

Yankees Team ERA 4.47

Red Sox Team ERA 4.95 (27th in league)

• MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I love Boston gents who talk about Yankees fans, "living in the past." Here's the unassailable fact: ultimately, a sports team is not judged by its performance over a four year span, or even a ninety year span. A sports franchise is judged on the totality of its accomplishments throughout its entire existence-- specifically, such accomplishments as championships won and the number all-time iconic/great players who donned its uniform.

By these criteria-- the only by which two franchises of roughly equal age can be compared-- the Boston Red Sox do not even remotely touch the New York Yankees. Maybe in another ninety years, perhaps, if the Sox accomplish all that the great Yankee franchise has.

It's a specious and sophomoric argument-- if not downright myopic-- to talk about four year marks or most recent games. I watch the games and enjoy them, but if the Yankees win (a game, a division title, etc) I don't call up my Boston friends and talk isht over what is only the most recent event in something that's been going on long before me and will continue to do so long after I'm gone.

The franchises are far bigger-- spanning generations-- than one fan's lifetime and thus skewed, too-personal perspective. Any intelligent sports fan knows how silly it is to engage in sandbox arguments based on sliding scale timelines: who did better in four years, or the last four games. Any intelligent sports fan knows that all teams go through cycles, fielding teams of varying quality. Again, the only valid comparison is one that looks at the entirety of the franchises-- and in this comparison the Sox are the losers. This is not up for debate. The Sox have to play at their present rate for the next 90 years or so to call it even. But having been in such a massive shadow for so long, having been beneath the Yankees for so long, I can just begin to understand the bitterness and irrationality of certain Sox fans. Clearly this long-festering bitterness is what motivates such fans to be such poor sports and pop off with the first good run their team has seen in a century.

Judged on their entire histories, there is no comparing these two teams. The Sox have not had close to the # of championships. The Sox have not had close to # of iconic, towering baseball figures don their uniform, as compared to Yankee greats-- household names. In fact Boston's greatest players in recent times crossed over to the Yankees, proof that to a baseball player the act of donning pinstripes has some special value-- a sense of a history and tradition of success that the Sox uniform just can't deliver at this point in time.

• << <i>

Other than Beckett you don't have a single starter that scares me. Ortiz looks like his career is over . >>

I would disagree that Ortiz's career looks like it's over. I think it's more of a mechanics/seeing the ball issue.
    I think he'll still hit 30 HR's and 90+ rbi's with a .300 average. It's still way too early.

I think Beckett is the only starter who scares anyone in the entire American or National league. I don't think Sabathia,
    Carmona, Wang, or even Holliday scares the Red Sox. I don't think there is that "shut down" starter in the bigs right now.
    Only Beckett can wear that title, and that really only exists in the playoffs.

• << <i>

In fact Boston's greatest players in recent times crossed over to the Yankees, proof that to a baseball player the act of donning pinstripes has some special value-- a sense of a history and tradition of success that the Sox uniform just can't deliver at this point in time. >>

If you're talking about Johnny Damon, he did it for the money. He said he'd never play for NY, but the money brought him there.
    Only big money brings players to NY. Arod was ready to leave the "cherished yankee tradition" for bigger money until he found out
    that Mr. Boras misled him in his real market value.
    Please don't think that any player wants to play for NY because of their tradition. Maybe David Wells did because of his love for Babe Ruth,
    but the ONLY reason players go to NY is because of the paycheck. I think you're fooling yourself if you think there are guys who'd just
    love to play for the Yankees because it's an honor. If you do, just let another team make a better offer, and you'll find your answer to
    that theory.
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I wasn't referring to Damon alone, but also Boggs, Clemens... I don't doubt that money plays a factor, or is even THE factor, but you can hardly call the multitude of players who value the game's history (and this specific franchise's storied history) liars. Also, I never wrote that the Yankee franchise's successful history was the sole reason for players joining the team. What I said is that many professional ballplayers have respect for and value the franchise's many accomplishments-- as embodied by the iconic uniform and the feeling that wearing it gives them. I've known several personally, and they said there's a special feeling in playing at Yankee stadium, in seeing the monuments to Yankee greats. It's probably not unlike the difference between strolling the grounds of an Ivy League campus versus some community college. There can be no debating that the former has a palpable feeling to it that the latter lacks. That's my point. Your point is well taken but also makes a complete generalization; there is simply no way one can assume that each and every player follows the dollar and dollar only. How can that point be proven or disproven, unless you face every MLB player with the decision and poll their responses? The point is still there (which was only the last point of my post) that donning the Yankee uniform a MLB player conscious of the game's history can't help but feel they are in the company of excellence. This is simply not the case, logically, with any other team which has accomplished less. If I were to hazard an unprovable hypothetical scenario of my own, I'd say that offered roughly equal money to play for the Yankees or Rays, many would take the Yankees. On the topic of money, however, I would hardly cry poverty as a Red Sox fan. Yet if the NY team does have more money, I suppose we can then only ask, "why is it more successful?"