Home Sports Talk
Options

NY Yankees 2008 Run at the World Series

Comments

• Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    I can't believe that Olendork didn't implode in extra innings last night. I'll take the win anyway we can. Hey we're 8-2 in our last 10 games so it's a good direction to be in.
  • Options
    We're nothing better than a .500-ish team. There's always a chance, but we have too many critical holes.
  • Options
    MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭
    *hangs head in shame, goes to bed to cry himself to sleep*
  • Options

<< <i>*hangs head in shame, goes to bed to cry himself to sleep* >>

It's Ok, Joba starts tonight image
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much for Joba and his "savior" status. Looked pretty dismal to me. Shouldh've left him in the bullpen as a setup for Rivera, now you don't see him for 5 more days.

Your ship is slowly sinking, 7 games out of first place won't cut it too long with King George.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without meaning any blatant disrespect to you Yankee fans here- I am pumped that kid got knocked around, mainly because I cant stand the attitude this kid has and all the "Joba this" and Joba that" that Yankee fans have been blowing out their pie holes at record pace, Im sure he has talent and yes I think he will be good but I got to admit it was great to see him fall flat!

Again no disrespect to you guys but I am a Sox fan afterall!
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Jobba has one of the most interesting stories ever in the history of a MLB pitcher, I root for him because of were he came from.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>Jobba has one of the most interesting stories ever in the history of a MLB pitcher, I root for him because of were he came from. >>

I root for him too. His dad used to wheel his chair out into the front yard and have a catch with Joba, and was always there for him.
    Joba spent many days helping his dad and didn't have too much. Is Joba young and immature ? Sure he is, but so was I once too.

Anyway, good luck Joba, and may your team still finish in last placeimage
  • Options

<< <i>Without meaning any blatant disrespect to you Yankee fans here- I am pumped that kid got knocked around, mainly because I cant stand the attitude this kid has and all the "Joba this" and Joba that" that Yankee fans have been blowing out their pie holes at record pace, Im sure he has talent and yes I think he will be good but I got to admit it was great to see him fall flat!

Again no disrespect to you guys but I am a Sox fan afterall! >>

He was only scheduled to throw about 65 pitches so everyone was figuring 4 innings. He had a very rough first inning, 37 pitches, 3 walks. He has very good control so obviously he was too pumped up. I never saw such hype in my life for a first start. It hurt him. He's only 22. The Yanks should have made his first start on the road.

Enjoy his first "flop" while you can image.
  • Options
    Giambi, 9th inning, two outs, two strikes...WALKOFF TWO RUN HOME RUN!!!!!

We are so cool image

Back to .500 for the umpteenth time this season image

This was a day game. I didn't want to post this earlier in case someone was watching Yankees Encore image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Without meaning any blatant disrespect to you Yankee fans here- I am pumped that kid got knocked around, mainly because I cant stand the attitude this kid has and all the "Joba this" and Joba that" that Yankee fans have been blowing out their pie holes at record pace, Im sure he has talent and yes I think he will be good but I got to admit it was great to see him fall flat!

He was only scheduled to throw about 65 pitches so everyone was figuring 4 innings. He had a very rough first inning, 37 pitches, 3 walks. He has very good control so obviously he was too pumped up. I never saw such hype in my life for a first start. It hurt him. He's only 22. The Yanks should have made his first start on the road.

Enjoy his first "flop" while you can image. >>

Told ya so. Joba is much more valuable as a setup pitcher than a starter. Farnsworth & Friends will blow more games than Joba will win.
  • Options

<< <i>Giambi, 9th inning, two outs, two strikes...WALKOFF TWO RUN HOME RUN!!!!!

We are so cool image

This was a day game. I didn't want to post this earlier in case someone was watching Yankees Encore image >>

Call me crazy but I took a flyer on Giambi at the begining of the week and started him on my Fantasy squad. It might be the first time EVAH that I was pumped about a Yankee HR! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Enjoy his first "flop" while you can image. >>

Told ya so. Joba is much more valuable as a setup pitcher than a starter. Farnsworth & Friends will blow more games than Joba will win. >>

You're so wrong image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Giambi, 9th inning, two outs, two strikes...WALKOFF TWO RUN HOME RUN!!!!!

We are so cool image

This was a day game. I didn't want to post this earlier in case someone was watching Yankees Encore image >>

Call me crazy but I took a flyer on Giambi at the begining of the week and started him on my Fantasy squad. It might be the first time EVAH that I was pumped about a Yankee HR! image >>

Come on Perk, pick some more Yanks for your team. I figure three or four total, and we'll win the World Series image
  • Options
    Giambi might be heating up (finally), he's always good for one months ride every year, so hop on board

I thought Joba actually didn't pitch too badly his first start out, although burning 39 of your 65 total pitches in the first is brutal.

When is A-Rod going to go on a tear???
  • Options
    Strong outing by Joba - 6 innings, one run, the man is on his way.

Girardi looks like a genius for resting Mariano and starting Farnsworth in the 9th inning. It could have been a disaster image
  • Options
    Mussina gets his 10th win tonight! I thought he would have 10 losses by now image
  • Options
    The Moose is Loose. Well over 20 games is a definite possibility for him and everybody thought Moose was through last year!

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    Guys like Mussina and Jamie Moyer are invaluable. OK, so we're all suprised that they're pitching so well.
    But they're invualable because they are innings eaters.

Same as Tim Wakefield and Greg Maddux. You have to have guys that don't throw hard, but have great control, because their arms won't wear out.

• Options
    First American League pitcher to ever record at least 10 wins for 17 straight seasons image
  • Options

<< <i>First American League pitcher to ever record at least 10 wins for 17 straight seasons image >>

And Maddux has done it 20 straight seasons. Congrats to Mike.

• Options
    That is amazing. I think that there were three in the National League to do it.
  • Options
    Total massacre today, but Wang hurt the top of his foot rounding third base. Chit! I don't like the way this one smells image
  • Options
    Good job destroying the Astros. Anytime you sweep away from home you are clicking on all cylinders.
    Let's see if you can keep it going in the next series.
  • Options

<< <i>Total massacre today, but Wang hurt the top of his foot rounding third base. Chit! I don't like the way this one smells image >>

especially with him pitching effectively again!

looks like cano might finally be breaking that stranglehold that .200 has had on him all year!
  • Options
    Wang is going to be out a long time. Maybe we get him back in September if at all this year image
  • Options

<< <i>Wang is going to be out a long time. Maybe we get him back in September if at all this year image >>

That's too bad. Wang is a truly professional pitcher. He reminds me of my favorite pitcher Catfish Hunter.
    Guys who just go out day after day and pitch the best game they can. No emotions, no b.s., just get the ball and throw.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just my baseball narrowmindedness, but I agree with Steinbrenner (Hank) on this -- the NL should adopt the DH. The most valuable commodity in the game is a starting pitcher, and Wang is a dang good one.
  • Options
    i agree, and i know its not a popular opinion, but i hate seeing the pitcher hit, especially nowadays where they are so specialized. Let the pitcher concentrate on doing his job and doing it well, let someone else hit for him, you aren't paying him to hit anyway.
  • Options
    5 games over .500...FINALLY. Now let's get 10 over.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Giambi knocked two (2) out tonight and drove in three (3) runs, but did anybody else see that Giambi is on pace to put up some decent numbers this season? ... 43 home runs and 101 RBIs. I'm a big A's fan ... thus the Giambi following.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, Giambi knocked two (2) out tonight and drove in three (3) runs, but did anybody else see that Giambi is on pace to put up some decent numbers this season? ... 43 home runs and 101 RBIs. I'm a big A's fan ... thus the Giambi following.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

It has been a stunning turnaround for him!
  • Options

<< <i>just my baseball narrowmindedness, but I agree with Steinbrenner (Hank) on this -- the NL should adopt the DH. The most valuable commodity in the game is a starting pitcher, and Wang is a dang good one. >>

Bartolo Colon went on the DL after aggrevating his back swinging in Philadelphia this week. If anyone saw it, it wasn't a pretty site.

Anyway, what's up with the Yankees ? They're starting to roll.
  • Options
    I just watched the end of the NYY-SD game (DirecTV rocks!)...I swear I've never seen Mariano Rivera look better on the mound. Smooth delivery, great velocity, pinpoint location, incredible movement. He is getting better as he gets older. Scary.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Lord, how did SD win their division last year? They can't score a run to save their life!
  • Options

<< <i>Good Lord, how did SD win their division last year? They can't score a run to save their life! >>

everyone else sucked more!
  • Options

<< <i>I just watched the end of the NYY-SD game (DirecTV rocks!)...I swear I've never seen Mariano Rivera look better on the mound. Smooth delivery, great velocity, pinpoint location, incredible movement. He is getting better as he gets older. Scary. >>

Barndog, I've noticed the same thing. In recent years he has had some first half struggles so it's that more impressive. He was just given a three year deal so maybe he's totally relaxed with things now.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just watched the end of the NYY-SD game (DirecTV rocks!)...I swear I've never seen Mariano Rivera look better on the mound. Smooth delivery, great velocity, pinpoint location, incredible movement. He is getting better as he gets older. Scary. >>

Barndog, I've noticed the same thing. In recent years he has had some first half struggles so it's that more impressive. He was just given a three year deal so maybe he's totally relaxed with things now. >>

this really sucks. He has been making Papelbon look bad by comparison (and Papelbon has looked great 9/10 times he takes the mound)
  • Options
    15 strikeouts today for Yankee pitching. That is good stuff. Come on guys, I know you can make the playoffs. What would the
    postseason be without Yankees vs. Red Sox. The networks want it, the fans want it, and the PSA message boards WANTS IT !!!
  • Options

<< <i>15 strikeouts today for Yankee pitching. That is good stuff. Come on guys, I know you can make the playoffs. What would the
    postseason be without Yankees vs. Red Sox. The networks want it, the fans want it, and the PSA message boards WANTS IT !!! >>

All true, all true, LOL.
  • Options

<< <i>15 strikeouts today for Yankee pitching. That is good stuff. Come on guys, I know you can make the playoffs. What would the
    postseason be without Yankees vs. Red Sox. The networks want it, the fans want it, and the PSA message boards WANTS IT !!! >>

if the NYY pitching staff (Joba and Mariano) stays healthy and Arod and Jeter don't miss more than 20 games combined, I'm sure the end of the season will look like it usually does in the AL East. Sorry Rays fans
  • Options
    Ponson picked up on waivers throws 6 innings and no runs. Who'da thunk it? image
  • Options
    Ponson with the win, pitched out of big trouble a few times in the first three innings. We could really use some quality starts out of the guy - with Wang out, he has a chance to be the 4th starter right now - Giese won't last long and it appears Darrell Rasner has remembered that, well, he's Darrell Rasner. Game 1 was a debacle yesterday -at least Joe G. got to flush the toilet and give the back end of the bullpen some work.
  • Options
    Gee I wish we had traded the farm plus our starting CF for the 7-7 Santana. Nice ERA, but he seems to pitch well enough only to be mediocre. Pettitte is the true ace in New York.
  • Options
    There is no doubt in my mind you guys are going to start making some noise ala AL East style, playing good baseball and a big time set coming up with us- should be like always some nasty stuff. I dont want to see any Jobba fist pumping going on anytime soon but I fear that you guys will highly motivated and give us a tough series.
  • Options

<< <i>There is no doubt in my mind you guys are going to start making some noise ala AL East style, playing good baseball and a big time set coming up with us- should be like always some nasty stuff. I dont want to see any Jobba fist pumping going on anytime soon but I fear that you guys will highly motivated and give us a tough series. >>

Perk, you'll be glad to know that you'll miss Joba. He's starting Tuesday so I don't see him pitching against your boys next weekend.

Added - I don't think I've seen him do the fist pump since he became a starter. 1.80 ERA in 5 starts.
  • Options
    I'm curious why Petite was noted as having the better season than Santana? Santana has a lower ERA and WHIP. Wins and losses are among the most misleading stats in all of baseball, and don't really tell you anything about a pitcher's value. Santana has thrown 23 more innings so far this season, opponents are batting just .246 off Santana (as opposed to .289 for Petite). Santana also has over 8K/9 IP, as opposed to just over 5K/9 for Petite. On the surface, sure, it looks like Petite is having the better season, but the numbers bear out that Santana is indeed the better pitcher this year.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm curious why Petite was noted as having the better season than Santana? Santana has a lower ERA and WHIP. Wins and losses are among the most misleading stats in all of baseball, and don't really tell you anything about a pitcher's value. Santana has thrown 23 more innings so far this season, opponents are batting just .246 off Santana (as opposed to .289 for Petite). Santana also has over 8K/9 IP, as opposed to just over 5K/9 for Petite. On the surface, sure, it looks like Petite is having the better season, but the numbers bear out that Santana is indeed the better pitcher this year. >>

Johan is a great pitcher. Andy Pettitte is a great pitcher. You are trying to compare NL to AL numbers which in itself is flawed. Have at it but these types of debate are pointless. All Andy has to do is knock you out with a one two punch with all of those World Series rings on his fist. And yeah, he EARNED those rings image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    I think Santana will have the better 2nd half and come close to 20 wins. Pettite might have more rings, but Santana has better stuff and is the better pitcher.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Santana will have the better 2nd half and come close to 20 wins. Pettite might have more rings, but Santana has better stuff and is the better pitcher. >>

I will take what Andy has given the Yankees in the regular and post season every damn time over Johan's perceived dominance with a few shiny years with the hapless Minnesota Twins. Not to mention the less then stellar media guy Santanna has proven to be since he got to New York. But hey, we all have are ideas so ..... have a image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240