Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Love the Vintage Football!

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Scott, even these "Commons" are great pick ups, I am addicted to these! There hasnt been much aggressive bidding on these lately as I have been putting in semi-low bids and winning below my high bid, so I cant resist! But my ultimate goal here is to eventually have as much variety as my good friend Ryan "The vintage football variety king" BigDaddy! image
  • Options
    A couple more 52's!!! And Ryan here are a couple of nicknames for ya- Charlie "Choo Choo" Justice ( Very tough card BTW ) And "Deacon" Dan Towler!

• Options
    My first 1956 Topps card!

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i> But my ultimate goal here is to eventually have as much variety as my good friend Ryan "The vintage football variety king" BigDaddy! image >>

Jeesh Perk...you'll be flying past me any day now! Nice pick-ups. Great Moore!
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

This is an advertising flyer for the 1962 Packers vs College All Stars game. The 1961 Heisman Trophy winner Ernie Davis was supposed to play in this game but was weak during practice and didn't feel right. He was diagnosed with Leukemia a couple days before the game.

What a backfield it would have been with Davis and Jim Brown next to each other image
  • Options
    That is a very cool item, Im glad you brought the thread back up!

I havnt anything new to add recently, sorta taking a break from buying for about a month to try and reavaluate the direction of my collecting- either do the 52 set or something else....
  • Options
    It is a crime when this thread is buried on page 8! I figured I would post these beauties here too, and bring the thread back.

• Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Sweet '51 Bowmans Bigdaddy. One of my favorite vintage sets.

Here's a couple of HOF'ers I own:

Love those 1950's Football cards.......

Rich
  • Options

<< <i>

Rich >>

Ryan, Rich
    Great looking cards. Love the vintage in the SGC holders man, absolutely love it!! SGC 88 is such a tough grade, is it a solid psa 8, could you get lucky and get it into a psa 9 holder?

I wish my scanner was working so I could post a few 51 B, sadly I will have to be a bystander on this thread for awhile. image

joe

Edited to add: I agree with Ryan, this thread shold never be page 8!!
  • Options
    Rich

Hirsch and Matson cards are some of my favs...they always have the coolest poses. It looks like Matson's pinky is dislocated..doesn't it??

Joe,

I prefer SGC.. so no cross over for me. I just picked these two up last week...they are beauts! Not real familiar with what a 9 looks like..havn't owned very many because I only collect vintage.
  • Options
    Man NICE cards Ryan! When did you start on 8 grade!

Thanks for bringing THE thread back up!

Cardbender- Love the Hirsch card!
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Just added this one to my HOF RC set. Now down to needing 5.
    Still need
    33 Thorpe
    35 Nagurski
    48 Bowman Turner
    52 Bowman Matson
    57 Starr.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Man NICE cards Ryan! When did you start on 8 grade!

Thanks for bringing THE thread back up!

Cardbender- Love the Hirsch card! >>

thanks Perk! I normally don't venture into the land of 8's, but the price was right so I couldn't pass them up.
  • Options

Man, I love this vintage football, too...thanks for everyone for posting, and keep this thread going!
    Collecting my sports heroes, Roger Staubach and Kirby Puckett.
  • Options
    Another classic card, too bad it's not centered a little better. This card has always been a bear to find sharp.

Joe, get your scanner going. I'm sure everyone here wants to see your high grade 51's.

Thanks BigDaddy. Yeah, it does look like Matson has a finger injury on his card. I wonder why Hirsch doesn't have a '55 Bowman card?
    By the way, you own some sweet Bowmans!

Dave, nice job on your HOF set. What a fantastic set.
    C'mon guys lets get some Football cards posted here and keep er' going.......

Rich
  • Options
    A later 1950's card but it's always been one of my favorites:

5'7" Eddie LeBaron

• Options
    My second favorite QB behind Bart Starr,

Christian Adolph Jurgensen lll

• Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Ryan, I bid on that Waterfield, but it was too rich for my beginner Bowman self!image Great pick up! I think I will shoot for a 7.

Great cards, everyone. This is becoming my favorite thread.

Robert
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Rich >>

Ryan, Rich
    Great looking cards. Love the vintage in the SGC holders man, absolutely love it!! SGC 88 is such a tough grade, is it a solid psa 8, could you get lucky and get it into a psa 9 holder?

I wish my scanner was working so I could post a few 51 B, sadly I will have to be a bystander on this thread for awhile. image

joe

Ok Joe, You've used the broken scanner excuse long enough. Send me a few of those Largent RC 9's you have stacked to the ceiling and I will buy you a new scanner and have it shipped to your door. If you ask real nice I'll make a West Coast road trip and install it for you. image

All kidding aside, I have a feeling you will a need a new scanner before the end of the year.

Great Bowmans. Man they really look sharp in those SGC holders. I'll dig up a few cards and keep this thread going. Joe

Edited to add: I agree with Ryan, this thread shold never be page 8!! >>

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    The last two cards from my last spending spree came in today...

This would probably be a 7..but the dreaded wax stain on back that is so typical of 51's:
  • Options
    Nothing new, but some newer posters haven't seen these. A few cards from each set.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Is there anything better than the smell of vintage football in the morning?
    W.C.Fields
  • Options
    Awesome cards guys! If I ever feel I have enough 1950's material I will then venture into the 60's stuff- the 66 set and 64 Topps look very inviting!
  • Options
    2 Deuces....I love that 55 topps AA Bernard. It looks like he is doing the "African anteater dance!"
  • Options
    Ryan! You owe a couple of scans! image
  • Options
    Thanks BigDaddyBowman, I think the AA's are a classic set, but my arm pit collection can't hold a candle to the beauties you have posted. I never tire looking at your cards. Keep them coming and I'll add to this thread if it ever drops again. Joe
    W.C.Fields
  • Options
    I will re-post the card that I jump-started this thread with- My Graham card and ask if any of you think this has a chance at a bump?

• Options
  • Options
    That's the best centered '52 Graham I've ever seen. WOW! Sweet card. If the corners hold up, I don't see why that's not maybe even an 8.

Nice cards Joe!

That goes without saying for bigdaddy, always sweet Bowmans to post here.

Nice cards guys. Great thread.
  • Options
    I love posting these two cards. It shows that you can have a high grade collection without high grades.
    To the naked eye these are some of the nicest 59's I have. Centering and corners are perfect. No there is no paper loss or writing on the back. The best bargains in the hobby.
    W.C.Fields
  • Options
    Double post and much needed bump. image
    W.C.Fields
  • Options

<< <i>I love posting these two cards. It shows that you can have a high grade collection without high grades.
    To the naked eye these are some of the nicest 59's I have. Centering and corners are perfect. No there is no paper loss or writing on the back. The best bargains in the hobby.
    image >>

Wow! Thopse are some gorgeous cards- whats the deal?
  • Options

<< <i>Ryan! You owe a couple of scans! image >>

Here ya go Perk...fresh out of the mailbox:

• Options
    image Thank You Ryan! Those are nice, I told you I wasnt a huge Philly fan but ofcourse you are making me feel different about them image

• Options
    Nice Philys!!

Here's some more 1950's:

Sorry if the scans are too large. Sometimes it's hard to judge how they'll turn out.

Rich
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    I picked up the "parts" to create a Johnny Unitas 1955 Bowman RC at SporsFest, but couldn't decide whether to go with the horizontal or vertical format . . . so I made both.

imageimage
  • Options
    Wow Bob, outstanding work! UNBELIEVABLE STUFF! Im a huge fan of horizontal cards but the stand up pic of Johnny U is too just to nice!
  • Options
    Very Cool Unitas!
    Great 54's and 55's too!

Nice mail day today...

• Options
    Does a high quality manufacturer produce college football cards anymore?
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Ryan, that Bednarik is off the charts! WOW!image

What collections you and Perk have. Thanks to you both for sharing your cards and knowledge with us.

Robert
  • Options
    Been searching for this one for awhile and won it off the Bay for short money! image

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    2nd day in a row I was able to find a card I have been searching for!

This one just got put on Mikes ( Nearmint ) websight and I scooped it up!

I just love these old Los Angeles Rams players..

• Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Paul, that card was always one of my favorite Bowman's. In that photo Fears is a dead ringer for my Dad. I never saw the likeness in any other photo of Fears, but it wasa spot-on dopelganger on that card.

OT, but back when we were putting on the Milwaukee '85 card show, with Joe Adkock (sp, I know, the stupid "system won't let me spell it correctly) was a guest signer, we were sweating bullets because Joe was late in arriving from his home in Louisiana. My back-up plan was to have Dad sit in for him . . . they were about the same age, same build and reasonable likeness, and Adkock hadn't been back to Milwaukee for years. Dad probably knew enough about baseball and the Braves to bluff his way through any questions that arose during the signing. Thankfully Adkock arrived and we were able to satisfy a lot of happy collectors.
  • Options
    Here are some 1957's I picked up a while back for $10 total....

• Options
    Wow $10 for all those? Nice group of cards, nice player selection!
  • Options
    I bought these as a poorly advertised lot on Ebay.

The seller just listed it as "Lot of (6) 1957 Topps FB cards" without putting the names of any of the players in the title, so nobody bothered to look at it. I was looking for the Bobby Layne card and got the whole lot for the opening bid of $9.99.

• Options

<< <i>I bought these as a poorly advertised lot on Ebay.

The seller just listed it as "Lot of (6) 1957 Topps FB cards" without putting the names of any of the players in the title, so nobody bothered to look at it. I was looking for the Bobby Layne card and got the whole lot for the opening bid of $9.99. >>

Great pickup man, Im about 90% through that 57 topps set, one of my favorites!!

I finally got my scanner up and running (well my wife did, who's alot smarter than I am) so I am happy to be able to participate in Pauls vintage football thread again

Here are a couple of key pickups for my 78 fb set, and a big pickup, the Pat Harber "Harder" rookie card. Front shows Harber, back says Pat Harder. Love them leafs

• Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    great harber,harder.However they spelled it,i say great pickup.Thats one great looking 48!congrats.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    One of my favorite 1950 Bowman cards!