Love the Vintage Football!

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Tex ya got there.

Edited to add: 200!!
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Not as vintage as Bowman, but I have been outbid on those lately, so I decided to get this:

Hopefully, I will have some Bowman to share soon.

Robert
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice hornung Robert! Eventually I will get into those 60's cards!
  • Options
    Speaking of getting outbid Robert, I happened to "Accidently" image out bid my good friend Ryan on this one...

Ryan knows Im kidding but watch him come on here and label me a "Rat Fink" image
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Anybody have any D-Con?? I have a RAT to exterminate! Damn you Perk...Damn you to Hades!

P.S. I think the right border looks trimmed...don't you? image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gs40 - that's a stunning 7!

Very nice pickup - thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Thanks Perk and Mike.

I'm biddiing on a nice card on Ebay right now in mid-grade that I know you guys will approve of!image

Hopefully, I'll win this time! BTW, those Bowman large are tough to beat for eye appeal. Sweet card!

Robert

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I've always thought these could probably be bumped up if I ever sent them in.

• Options
    Nice cards Tennessee! Thanks for the pics.

Im not sure if this is true or not but that 64 Philly card of Frank Ryan- I was told that the pink Caddy behind the photo was Jim Browns? A dealer told me that at a show, I know Jim Browns card has the same background.
  • Options
    I have heard the same and have always believed it to be true as well, I bought the Ryan card more for the caddy than for him. Lol, I guess you could say I bought the Car not the holder on that one.

• Options
    Im not sure if this is true or not but that 64 Philly card of Frank Ryan- I was told that the pink Caddy behind the photo was Jim Browns?

It is true. Matter of fact all the Browns cards from that year have the Caddy in the background. Jim Brown was so proud of the car he wanted it in the background of his photo. As all the other players came out to see the card, they wanted to pose in front of it too. Classic story.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    You've got some superb cards there TB!

I think I do see some 'bumps' there - but is it worth the trouble - unless you're gonna sell?

I always like the FB stuff since I really don't have much.

Thanx for sharing
    mike

Mike
  • Options
    I love this and the mail call thread!

Great cards everyone...well...everyone except Perk..he's a Rat Fink! image
  • Options

<< <i>Nice cards Tennessee! Thanks for the pics.

Im not sure if this is true or not but that 64 Philly card of Frank Ryan- I was told that the pink Caddy behind the photo was Jim Browns? A dealer told me that at a show, I know Jim Browns card has the same background. >>

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭
    I love those cars in the background, just like on that one 1973 Topps card (which that set in general has some quite interesting backgrounds).
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    some 48 leafs and bowmans im getting ready to send in on monday to PSA

The tommy thompson is pretty rare, a psa 7 of it is 1/1 right now, this one is a 7 (hopefully an 8).

The 48 bowman is Dan Sandifer, I think he's a future HOF'er and this card is gorgeous, hopefully an 8

• Options
    Good luck with those Joe, that Thompson would look great in an 8 holder!

Whatcha going to do with that Baugh? You already have an 8 right... image
  • Options
    Joe- The 48 Leafs look great. Good luck on those. The 48 Bowman though looks like a 6. The 2 left side corners are going to give you problems.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options

<< <i>Joe- The 48 Leafs look great. Good luck on those. The 48 Bowman though looks like a 6. The 2 left side corners are going to give you problems. >>

thanks for the input Frank, always much appreciated. Its funny, the bowman looks better in person, but that little ding on the lower left is definately my biggest concern.

Hopefully it gets graded at 4:59 PM on friday by the new guy, and slides into an 8 holder image

joe
  • Options
    Sandifer HMM Thanks Joe now your posting Redskins i need TOSS A DOG A Bone now and then will you image
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>some 48 leafs and bowmans im getting ready to send in on monday to PSA

The tommy thompson is pretty rare, a psa 7 of it is 1/1 right now, this one is a 7 (hopefully an 8).

The 48 bowman is Dan Sandifer, I think he's a future HOF'er and this card is gorgeous, hopefully an 8

image >>

Regardless of where those Leafs grade, they will probably bring a premium with the great centering on them all. Any idea how much rarer the white letter versions are?

Snorto~
  • Options
    A couple more 52's!

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Pihos Paul, but no matter how nice the other card looks, no way am I saying nice Weiner.
  • Options
    And in case you guys are getting tired of me and my 52's I threw a nice '57 Tittle in there!

• Options

<< <i>Very nice Pihos Paul, but no matter how nice the other card looks, no way am I saying nice Weiner. >>

image Thank you Nick and I couldnt agree more! image
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Tittle, Perkdog...Love those '57s and those Tittles...image
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Snorto~ >>

I don't think Sandifer will get there, but he is a short print (#87 - divisible by 3) and a high grade sp is always a good thing! If he makes HOF it's a great thing!
  • Options
    I am MAN enough to say it.....Paul, love your Weiner!

nice tittle too paul!

• Options
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Paul for showcasing some of my custom card creations. Besides the Blanchard-Davis card, I've done a Glenn Davis single (Topps covered Doc Blanchard in its original 1955 set).

Now I want to do a card for Army quarterback Arnold Tucker, who's going into the College FB Hall of Fame this year.

Does anybody have a good picture of Tucker they could lend me? I'd need to borrow the picture or get a 300 dpi scan. In return I'd give the lender three of the cards once they are made (that's half of my ususual initial "print run"). If you have a picture you think would work, send me a PM. Thanks much.

Here's my latest creation, a Max McGee rookie card. I'm finishing up a 1955 Bowman-style Raymond Berry RC and will post it when done.

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I love that max mcgee card - if you make a 2nd print run I would like to buy one!
  • Options
    A few new additions that arrived this week-

• Options
    Very nice paul....I am telling you I see a set being built. i know you won't openly admit it...but I see the writing on the wall!
  • Options
    Man, I have to quit looking at these cards. I am already addicted to vintage baseball among other things. I don't need another addiction. Really great cards though.
  • Options
    those 55 Bowman creations are awesome ! I am working on a 55 Bowman autographed set, so it is a year that is near to my heart. If you plan on making some hard copies of those 55's i would love to get some from you of living players to get signed.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    Some day I Hope to get Brady to sign those, I would love to get them in a slab labled authentic from PSA!!!

Ryan, now wouldnt be the time for me to try the 52 set anyways. Especially since your my #1 competitor now!!!! I love the Price card but Im steamed about the centering, it was ( as you know ) a private deal that almost got ugly- I will prolly NOT ever buy a card again without seeing a scan first-especially from the 52 set, centering is a freakin' nightmare with these cards. But I knew I was taking the chance, oh well still a good card.
  • Options
    Perk...I am no competition for you...at least for the commons...which are the majority of the set i would think. The centering is not perfect on those cards, but it doesn't really detract from the eye appeal.
  • Options
    Ryan

The 59T Tittle is superb for a 7! Very nice. He was a big name in my neighborhood when I was a kid.

Thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Big fan of this thread. I'm 20% or so through this set on the registry, but these are a couple of my favorites from what I've gathered so far:

• Options
    Love the 57 topps Vito!! Nice cards man
  • Options
    Nice stuff Ryan! Hopefully I will land a few more to post up soon!
  • Options
    Well I figured I would post up a few of my 51's here, another great looking set!

• Options
    I really like the artwork of the 53's. I just wish they'd made that enormous white football take up less than 25% of the card.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Perk, is it true? You joined the ranks of the set collectors? No surprise there actually. I know some don't get why you would want to collect "commons" to complete a set, but it is about the history of the game... of which I know you are a fan of.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go repeat "I will NOT start a 1957 Topps set!" 100 times thanks to Vito. Every time I see those they appeal to me more and more.

Snorto~