Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Love the Vintage Football!

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking pic I found on the net checking out Rams Football in the 50's, Elroy "Crazy legs" Hirsch in a night game with the white ball..

• Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    My July 4 weekend project . . .

• Options
    Another Los Angeles Ram card!

• Options
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice fears, but that banner was like a punch in the face.
  • Options
    Sorry Nick! I tried to copy a pretty cool article on the early 50's Rams- I guess I didnt get all of it or maybe the wrong part!
  • Options
    It's cool, but I just meant that it's so big its like BAM.
  • Options
    Here's the little blog I thought was pretty cool.

Los Angeles Rams' storied Bull Elephant Backfield of Dick Hoerner, Paul (Tank) Younger and Dan (Deacon) Towler.

Together with quarterbacks Bob Waterfield and Norm Van Brocklin, the Elephants amassed 5,506 total yards, a team single season record which has stood for many years.

Towler registered the most impressive statistics of the Bulls. In six seasons (1950-55), he picked up 3,493 yards and posted an average gain of 5.2 yards per carry.

"The idea tor the bull elephants," Dan recalled, "came during the 1950 season. We were playing a game in a sea of mud, and the coaches alternated backfields hoping to rest us.

The coach then realized he had three fullbacks of equal running ability and saw what a powerful weapon he would have with two 200 pounders leading a third.

"The next season, all of us were used together in rushing situations, as the year progressed, we were used as a unit more and more. We won the title that year, and I feel the `51 Rams was one of the greatest teams ever."

Deacon Dan is still remembered in Western Pennsylvania. As a Donora High School star, he led his team to two championships. As a senior, he scored 24 touchdowns.

An excellent student, Towler graduated cum laude from Washington and Jefferson where he also earned Little All-America honors.

In 1948, he led the nation in scoring. Surprisingly, the Rams made him only a twenty-fifth round draft choice in 1950.

Towler led all NFL ball carriers in 1952 with 894 yards. He also played in his first Pro Bowl contest that year, earning MVP honors.

A deeply religious man, Dan as a rookie asked to lead his Ram teammates in pre-game prayer. He studied at the Southern Cal Graduate School of Religion while playing, later receiving his masters degree in theology.

After retiring from pro football, he went on to serve as director of the Wesley Foundation and minister to the campus of the California State University.

In that capacity, he was in charge of campus religious programs and did liaison work between the school and the community.

A devastating runner as a Ram, the Rev. Mr. Towler channeled his boundless energy into improving the community where he once starred. "My football career," he said, "helped in many ways."

For one thing, it helped him establish rapport with students whom he counseled. For another, it taught him a priceless lesson.

"I learned not to give up in a tough situation," Deacon Dan Towler said. "Often you need only to make a first down, not a touchdown
  • Options
    speaking of 50 bowmans, I just got a few!! Grinding away on that 50 bowman set slowly but surely

• Options
    Finally found a new Groza, I was forced to trade my last one to Mike T. to salt away my deal for the Gifford card and it was worth the wait!

Last day of my vacation today so I figured I would post some of my vacation pick-ups image

A tough lower POP 7 here..

• Options
    Very nice pickups. Just admit it, you're doing the whole set.
  • Options
    Thanks Nick, Im only about 20% on this thing so Ive got a long way to go. Im looking for some of the really tough low-pop cards right now and dont really care about the grade its just the centering is god awful on a lot of them that they dont present well enough for me to even want them. I wont mind some decent centered 3's and 4's as I couldnt care less about where I stack up on the registry but I want to be happy with the cards at least so lets just say its a possible work in progress..
  • Options
    Perkdog- Those Bowman Large are sweet. Very Nice. Just give in and do the set. Your mindset is right in your willingness to accept lower graded cards with good eye appeal. Just build the set and you won't regret it.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Just got back last night from a 2 week family road trip from Cleveland to Tampa/Disney. Boy am I glad to back home! Vacations are for the kids now..not much Rand R for the adults!

A few 48 Bowman for my set that were waiting for me when I got home:
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My July 4 weekend project . . .

image >>

That Unitas is amazing!
  • Options
    Mike I would reccomend you PM'ing Bob ( Aupt ) about these custom cards- he has a huge selection to chose from and he is truly a great guy to deal with. These Ive posted before but incase you missed them these are some that I bought from him..

• Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Those custom cards are great. I really like the Staubach! Perk, good luck on the 52 Bowman Set it is a tough one.
  • Options
    Thanks for the pics, guys...I love vintage football, also.

It was so much easier to see the player's faces in the 40's and 50's without those silly facemasks in the way. :-)

Looking back, I'm surprised any of them had teeth when they smiled.

Collecting my sports heroes, Roger Staubach and Kirby Puckett.
  • Options
    Anyone have any new stuff! Also Mile High co. just entered the #3 finest 52 Large set that is incredible, Im curious where this collection came from and if it is going to be listed in there next auction- it should get some astronomical money.
  • Options
    A couple more well centered 7's!

• Options
    Keep going perkdog. You're building a VERY nice set!
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>speaking of 50 bowmans, I just got a few!! Grinding away on that 50 bowman set slowly but surely

image >>

Sweet '50 Bowmans Joe. They both look very high-end.

Keep the centered 7's rolling Perkdog. Very sharp cards!

I love that color or colorized Hirsch game action shot. It's stunning. I saved it on my computer to use as a screen saver. You don't often see early 1950's Football game action stills in color.

Rich
  • Options

<< <i>Keep going perkdog. You're building a VERY nice set! >>

Thanks Frank! Im hoping I set my snipe high enough for a very nice Elroy Hirsch PSA 7 on the Bay- a few more days to go on it and I suspect it will get some serious last minute action so keep your fingers crossed for me!

Rich I did the same thing with that Hirsch photo, its really a great looking photo Im glad I found it.

Here is a pretty cool 51 I picked up to break it up a little bit.

• Options
    Perk..nice Rote!

Thanks to Envoy...picked this up off of ebay from him

• Options
    Those 50,51,52 Bowman sets are incredible!! thanx to all for sharing the scans

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    djspanndjspann Posts: 541
    Great thread, everyone -- I really enjoy seeing all of the cards. I haven't made much progress on my football sets this summer, but it's nice to see great stuff like this!

Doug
  • Options
    Just came in the mail the other day, Night-Train Lane RC for my hof set

Mark
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options

<< <i>Just came in the mail the other day, Night-Train Lane RC for my hof set

image >>

Mark was that an Ebay purchase? I just sold that on the bay the other day- my Ebay handle is '101paulp" I decided to sell that and a few other ones I really didnt need along with the rest of my BB- Im sticking with 50-55 Bowman and 56 Topps.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone have any new stuff! Also Mile High co. just entered the #3 finest 52 Large set that is incredible, Im curious where this collection came from and if it is going to be listed in there next auction- it should get some astronomical money. >>

BTW, I talked to registry friend of mine and he is thinking of buying this set and combining it with his already completed set and taking over the #1 spot on the registry. Im curious if one of the heavy hitters with step up and go after this as well, some of the cards in this set look to be like a once in a lifetime chance to get.
  • Options

<< <i>Mark was that an Ebay purchase? I just sold that on the bay the other day- my Ebay handle is '101paulp" I decided to sell that and a few other ones I really didnt need along with the rest of my BB- Im sticking with 50-55 Bowman and 56 Topps. >>

Perkdog I purchased this one right before your card came up for auction. I just looked at the auction you had for your's, that was a very nice 7 too, I woulda saved alittle picking up your card. My max snipe was set for $14.00 or so over vcp average for this one cause I liked it alot.

I have to say that the vintage Bowmans are my favorite looking sets, I can see why you have focused on collecting them alot lately.

Mark
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a PSA 8.5 Bobby Layne rookie at a show this weekend. Would have loved to grab it but could not justify the $1500+ the guy wanted for it.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    Well I was able to grab this one for my set- "Glue Fingers Lavelli" a nice HOF for my collection- it doesnt take away all the sting from missing out on that Hirsch but its a step in the right direction!

• Options
  • Options
    Since football practices have started, I have been AWOL for a while. This came today, so I figured I would return to the boards.

• Options
    Nice to see you Ryan! That Layne looks identical to the PSA 7 you traded me awhile back- the SGC holder looks very nice though!
  • Options
    TexomaTexoma Posts: 179
  • Options

<< <i>Nice to see you Ryan! That Layne looks identical to the PSA 7 you traded me awhile back- the SGC holder looks very nice though! >>

This is about the 4th graded 53 Bowman Layne I have owned...always looking to upgrade condition...still searching for one that makes me "totally" happy.

Great 52's by the way... you are going to build one killer set!
  • Options

<< <i>Since football practices have started, I have been AWOL for a while. This came today, so I figured I would return to the boards.

image >>

absolute beauty on the Layne!
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Great cards guys! This has been one of my favorite threads to view for a while now.
    Although, I think it's time for a little oddball card spice! After all .... Man can not live on mainstream graded cards alone! I hope you enjoy the pics!

One of my favorite sets, the 1948-52 Exhibits (W-468). I'm hoping someday PSA will decide to start grading the football exhibit cards again. They continue to grade the baseball Exhibit card issues, but for some strange reason they don't like us football guys:

As a wise man once said, "Only square people ... Don't collect round cards!" ;-)
    1965 Coke Caps All-Stars NFL and 1962-63 Salada Coins

The entire print is a little too large for my scanner, but here's the best part of it: 1967-73 Equitable Life Sports HOF print of the great Bronko Nagurski

Here's an all leather postcard I thought was kind of neat. It's from a Miss Adele Wagner, of Russell Gulch, Colorado ... wishing her friend "Birdie" a Happy 1907 New year. She mailed it out on New Years Eve, Dec 31st 1906:

The new mini-helmets they make nowadays are extremely detailed, but I kinda like the old school ones better from the 60's and 70's. You don't see these three team emblems used very often:

Another really tuff set to try and build in high grade condition. 1951 Topps Magic:

1934 Goudey Sports Kings Varsity Football Game cards:

Another issue that PSA hasn't started grading yet. 1940 Kellogg's Canadian:

1935 Wheaties All Americans of 1934:

These are from a 1981 TCMA Greats set, but I really like the vintage photo look they have. Here's Bobby Lane and Roger Staubach:

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    Mike! This is some great stuff, thanks for posting this stuff!
  • Options
    Mike,

great stuff.

I bought that 81 TCMA set back in 82. Been selling the singles on eBay. It has amazing photography.
  • Options
    This thread is a great tribute to the history of the sport! I can't get enough of all the great collections posted.

Mark
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice to see you Ryan! That Layne looks identical to the PSA 7 you traded me awhile back- the SGC holder looks very nice though! >>

This is about the 4th graded 53 Bowman Layne I have owned...always looking to upgrade condition...still searching for one that makes me "totally" happy. >>

The thing that makes it identical is it has that same minor tilt look to it- did the other ones have that too? Either way its a very nice card.
  • Options
    Speaking of "Odd Ball" stuff, I found this while scanning the Bay- cant say I have ever seen one of these before!

• Options
    Fantastic stuff, Mike -- thanks for the post. The choo-choo exhibit is great! Well, it's all great, and the round stuff makes me want to convert from being such a square...

Doug
  • Options
    imageimage

Some recent additions I added to the hof set.

Mark
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    Well thanks to Perk and a few others input I went with the decision to add this, my new favorite card.

1957 Topps Johnny Unitas Rookie PSA 7

sorry for the cruddy scan as my scanner is old and has smudges all over it.
  • Options
    Very Nice Mike! I think you made a great decision- always nice to see someone land a card that they have wanted for awhile!

Congrats on getting a very nice copy!
  • Options
    Great Unitas's guys..love the Grange too. Here is my most recent pick-up: