Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Love the Vintage Football!

For those of you that know the 52 Bowman Large football set, you know how very tough it is to find well centered cards especially the HOF'ers, well I just picked this beauty up off of Ebay and I must say Im very happy!

Thanks to Stown and Big Daddy Bowman I stepped into the Vintage Football collecting arena recently and I cannot get enough of it, I am mainly focusing on '52 Bowman Large along with some 50/51 Bowman and 55 Topps AA's as well. There are a bunch of you Vintage Football guys on here and I would love to see some of your new purchases or some of your favorites in your collection.

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that Ronald Reagan?
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Yep! The Gipper!

was the first thing I thought of when I saw your nice card!
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭

One of my all-time favorites. How can you not love Bowman Football 1950-1955!

How about the arm growing from the head??

Loves me some shiny!
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i got 50 bowmans psa 8 frank tripuka and tank younger last night, put em on the mail call thread

<< <i>i got 50 bowmans psa 8 frank tripuka and tank younger last night, put em on the mail call thread >>

Rube did you win that Younger on Ebay? the PSA 8 for $102? If so Im VERY angry at you! But if you happen to have a 7 that you would sell me I might forgive! image
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Paul...that Graham is Stellar! I am truly envious......hey I will trade you a nice 50 Bowman PSA 7 Glenn Army Davis for it! interested? Damn! didn't think so! LOL truly awesome card.
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Sports look alikes. Ronald Reagan?

Edit to add. Someone beat me to it. It is Reagan.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    No kidding. I've got like 9 or 10 Frank Gifford's, all perfectly centered with sharp corners.
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    One of my favorites of my NFL HOF RC set:

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
    <Rube did you win that Younger on Ebay? the PSA 8 for $102? If so Im VERY angry at you! But if you happen to have a 7 that you would sell me I might forgive!>

might have been-think it was my twin brother image
    i didnt know you were going to start doing 50 bows paul?did you get the fever for 50 bows too?i have to start getting so of the heavy weight cards in 8,s,ive been working on the commons for so long,it time to shell out some bucks and get doak-lou the toe-perry-motley-otto-hirsch-lavell-/knox- trippi/ probably forgetting somebody im sure,think my baugh is a 7
    need em all 8's to shoot me up, all of mine are 6's thats hurting me on the registry,commons dont move ya up much but need em all 8 or 9 even,the star card in high grade knock ya up pretty quick
    i either gotta work on star cards or start getting my autos slabbed for the all auto set and blue flips switched to reds with grade
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Not enough TAAs in here image

Edited to add:

In the spirit of this thread, spam link removed and replaced with these image

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • WOW! I love those All-Americans image To bad they didn't make any for Basketball back in the day image

Giovanni
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Paul, that Graham is stunning. Congrats on the pickup.

Stown, looks like some of those used to be mine. image

I gave up on the set but kept these two beauties for myself. Two of my favorite cards.
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    wow!seeing beautiful cards like these make me want to venture into the 50's.
    as if you didnt already know=great looking cards!
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
    Thanks for the pics guys! Those All-Americans are awesome! Believe it or not I never gave them a second look before but after seeing a few posted I picked a couple of them up and I hold them in the same category as the early Bowmans, truly a great set!
    The 55 Bowman set is a sometimes overlooked set...but it is truly beautifully designed.

and I have always loved the 48's just because the Black and White makes them look so OLD!

Ryan, I have said it many times as far as variety goes you are right up there! You set the bar for me my friend ever since you sent me your slideshow of your collection!
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Nice Otto Graham pick up. Looks high-end and the centering is perfect. Love those '55 Bowman's too. That's the first vintage FB set I ever completed.

That Babe Parilli card always makes me smile. Double jointed or what? Good stuff.
    Gotta love these guys photo shoots! Otto Graham again...

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I know that you do not find me commenting too often on football but old Vintage Football is great.I have always been very impressed by the old timers.I have a little bit more work to with with my 59 Topps Baseball set then I plan on starting a collection of pre 59 Football with most of the collecting centered around the Early Bowmans .
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • A few favorites from my (thus far) miniscule '51 bowman collection:

imageimageimageimage
    Ray those '51's are Awesome! I have the Bednarik and Speedie in 7 but I think yours might be a tad nicer!

BTW that Baugh is high on my list of things to get come the new year!
    Any of you guys collect '53 Bowman football? I hardly ever see any pics or talk about it. I will eventually pick up a few myself, I actually like the old school photography used, definately gives it a vintage look.
    I love the '51s and one day I'll do the set.

Thanks, as always, for sharing image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

• << <i>For those of you that know the 52 Bowman Large football set, you know how very tough it is to find well centered cards especially the HOF'ers, well I just picked this beauty up off of Ebay and I must say Im very happy!

Thanks to Stown and Big Daddy Bowman I stepped into the Vintage Football collecting arena recently and I cannot get enough of it, I am mainly focusing on '52 Bowman Large along with some 50/51 Bowman and 55 Topps AA's as well. There are a bunch of you Vintage Football guys on here and I would love to see some of your new purchases or some of your favorites in your collection.

image >>

That is one sweet card.

Pete

<< <i>Any of you guys collect '53 Bowman football? I hardly ever see any pics or talk about it. I will eventually pick up a few myself, I actually like the old school photography used, definately gives it a vintage look. >>

Paul...your wish is my command. Here are a few of my favs...

The 53's are my least favorite Bowman issue...they are really tough to find in higher grades.
    the jet in 8- it be sweet
    Silly Me! I should have known Ryan would have some '53's! I would not like to be in front of Motley trying to tackle him!

I actually like the '53's over the 55 Bowman issue, Great looking cards Ryan and as always thanks for posting some pics! I envy your collection man!!!!!

BTW- My order of favorites..

1-1952 Bowman Large
    2-1950 Bowman
    3-1951 Bowman
    4-1955 Topps All American
    5-1954 Bowman
    6-1953 Bowman
    7-1957 Topps
    8-1955 Bowman
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    The 53 bowman are VERY tough to find in high grade. Does anyone know the story behind the 53 issuance? It seems that I rarely see any high grade for sale. Were they produced in lesser quantity than the 52's?

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Here's some 54's

Love that 54 Graham, I wouldnt be suprised if it was a copy from this photo maybe?

That 54 Van Brocklin reminds me of a martian! image

<< <i>Love that 54 Graham, I wouldnt be suprised if it was a copy from this photo maybe? >>

That was my thought when I first saw the picture.
    After studying the card and the picture I am certain that it is. The bottom right under the brownie guy sells me on it.
    Hey Stown...

And another little taste for my good friend Stown!

Yeah, keep it up... I'll start chasing 7s and overbid just out of spite.

Nice cards image

Edited to let other in on the inside joke:

Link

Owner's Comments:
    Yet another set to blow money on. I blame perkdog and dam him to hades.

<< <i>Yeah, keep it up... I'll start chasing 7s and overbid just out of spite.

Nice cards image

Edited to let other in on the inside joke:

Link

Owner's Comments:
    Yet another set to blow money on. I blame perkdog and dam him to hades. >>

See how easy it is? All you gotta do is post a few Vintage football pics and it can make you turn into a fiend searching for a fix! image
    Well, it worked image Since I already had a Baugh and the TAAs are getting thin, might as well..

Here's the first of 144 6s that I'll eventually purchase.

PS perk still sux

That is a sweet card B! A very nice place to start... image
    Anyone got any new purchases they want to show off?
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Finally picked this one up a couple of weeks ago..

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
    Nice card Jason, I assume that is a HOF rookie? Either way those 50 Bowman hands down have some of the very best artwork!
  • I've been looking for a Canadeo 8 for some time. Was that off Ebay Jason?
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
    perk sux donkey bells

Stown, nice 51's! LMK when I should stop calling you Mr.AA and start with Mr. 51 image

addict. image
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, how did that Canadeo PSA 8 get past Rube? He only has a PSA 7 in his registry set.

Edited to add: Maybe because it's a $1,500 card.