Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Love the Vintage Football!

Comments

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Stown-I didn't realize your putting together a 51 Set in PSA6. I bid on several the other night...and LOST image (I think based on the ebay ID to you) Unfortunately, I probably made you pay more. In the future PM me and let me know ones you want to bid on, so we don't compete with each other. I can do the same. I hate to see us compete and pay more. There is plenty more out there for all of us.

Here are a few 51 bowman upgrades I picked up the other night:

P.S. PERK doesn't suck!

• Options
    I know this is not the mail call thread (havn't got them yet..so not truly mail call any way), but since we are talking vintage football cards...I figured I would post 2 53's I also picked up the other night. I have been seeking a nicely centered 53 Tittle for a LONG time...and I finally got one right before the end of the year...WOO HOO!.

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been looking for a Canadeo 8 for some time. Was that off Ebay Jason? >>

Yep, an off ebay deal...I couldn't stomach paying the $1500+ these had been selling for on ebay..Finally found one within my price range. Turned out to be quite a nice one, with better than average color registration.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AWesome Cards AGAIN Ryan! Thank You for showing them here!

I too am looking for a '53 Tittle, not my favorite set but the Tittle and Graham cards are ones I would like to get for my collection.

I try to stick with 7's but those 6's that you and Barry have are top shelf!
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    tony for my 50 bowman autographed set
  • Options

<< <i>AWesome Cards AGAIN Ryan! Thank You for showing them here!

I too am looking for a '53 Tittle, not my favorite set but the Tittle and Graham cards are ones I would like to get for my collection.

I try to stick with 7's but those 6's that you and Barry have are top shelf! >>

Thanks Paul....Good Luck on the Tittle and Graham in 7's...Very tough to find and VERY expensive. I have looked for both for a long time.....still looking for a nicely centered Graham in 6 or above.
  • Options
    It is very nice. If it was on a dealers site, I'm just surprised I missed it. Congrats. If you see another, LMKimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>P.S. PERK doesn't suck! >>

Your Jedi Mind Trick won't work with me, buddy.

Think of it this way:

Had perk not got me hooked on the '51s, you would have won the ones I did and at lower prices.

So yes, he does suck.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Wow, some of those cards are works of art. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of a lot of the players prior to the late 60's. I know the big names like Groza, Baugh, Layne, Graham etc., but I am unfamiliar with many of the others. I love looking at them though.
  • Options

<< <i>

Think of it this way:

Had perk not got me hooked on the '51s, you would have won the ones I did and at lower prices.

So yes, he does suck.

image >>

You know...your'e right....PERK DOES SUCK!!!!! image
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>

Think of it this way:

So yes, he does suck.

image >>

Stown makes a pretty compelling argument with regards to Perkdog sucking... but as long as he stays with 1951 instead of 1950 Bowman, well, I like him just fine! I got enough competition on that set from other CU members.

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Think of it this way:

So yes, he does suck.

image >>

Stown makes a pretty compelling argument with regards to Perkdog sucking... but as long as he stays with 1951 instead of 1950 Bowman, well, I like him just fine! I got enough competition on that set from other CU members.

Snorto~ >>

True ...and all of you better stay away from the 48 Bowman or I am sicking Rube on you!
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Think of it this way:

So yes, he does suck.

image >>

Snorto~ >>

True ...and all of you better stay away from the 48 Bowman or I am sicking Rube on you! >>

I am a long way off on starting that one... I am only at around 33% on 1948 Leaf and 1950 Bowman with singles still popping up frequently enough that I am not tempted to start another project. However, since you started with the Rube threats, I think I will PM him with regards to your recent venture into the Chicles long before I am done with my beater set. I am pretty sure the few $15 pick ups I had from Rube as he upgraded his amazing 1950 Bowman set has earned me one free leg breaking.

Snorto~
  • Options
    Don't worry, I won't go after those..... just yet.

MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Ok so where are we at? Regrettably for me I havn't picked up anything new recently but I figured I would see how the community is doing...

Anyone pick up some new stuff lately?
  • Options
    Scanners down, but I got 2 cards in today:
    1948 Leaf #2 Steve Suhey PSA 8
    1957 Topps #103 Jim Mutscheller PSA 8
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭✭
    I received this '48 leaf sammy baugh RC psa 3 from Scott (elsnorto) in a trade the other day. Great card, Scott is a great guy. My first 48 leaf football card.

Cool thread.

Perk- vintage football is fun, isn't it. Can put together some sets at great value, there is a lot of variety in the early sets, and it's a nice change from vintage baseball.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    heh, his name has tit in it.
  • Options

<< <i>I received this '48 leaf sammy baugh RC psa 3 from Scott (elsnorto) in a trade the other day. Great card, Scott is a great guy. My first 48 leaf football card.

Cool thread.

Perk- vintage football is fun, isn't it. Can put together some sets at great value, there is a lot of variety in the early sets, and it's a nice change from vintage baseball.

John >>

It is a blast! I have always loved the vintage look of the early Bowmans and since diving into it I am hooked! BTW-That is a gorgeous Baugh! I have yet to buy my first '48/'49 Leaf card and I cant wait to get my hands on one, Vintage Football is the way to go IMO! I have been inspired to get this thread going from all the football collectors on this board and love the pics!

Thanks again guys!
  • Options

<< <i>Scanners down, but I got 2 cards in today:
    1948 Leaf #2 Steve Suhey PSA 8
    1957 Topps #103 Jim Mutscheller PSA 8 >>

I know you are one of the heavy hitters and would love to see some scans!
  • Options
    I know you are one of the heavy hitters and would love to see some scans!

HAHA. Definitely heavy, but that's about it.image
    Once I get it working again, I'll post them
  • Options
    Here are 2 new Brownies that arrived today:

the 46-55 Browns...what a team! They also went undefeated in a season..but don't get credit because they were in the AAFC. Not real fair..the AFL records count towards NFL stats, but the AAFC don't. Many of the great Browns get overlooked due to this fact. Mac Speedie is one that ranks amongst the games greatest receivers...but he rarely gets the recognition he deserves.
  • Options
    someone posted abou thte '55 bowman football on the thread (sorry forgot who)

that set is unbelievably great looking. I'm getting fairly close to being done with a low/mid grade set and plan to frame all the HOFers. trying to figure out how to do them. any ideas??
    I was thinking maybe in numerical card order, OR in player position order (qbs, then rbs, then wrs, lineman, etc), or in some kind of a lineup format like this:

WR T G C G T WR
    HB QB HB

or something like that, but not sure if the players will work out or not. open to ideas.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>someone posted abou thte '55 bowman football on the thread (sorry forgot who)

>>

I believe that was me....I love the 55's. Suggestion: I made several large poster prints of some of my cards on photobucket...you could do that with your 55's instead of putting the actual cards in the frames. Here is an example:

• Options
    Nice! how did you print it out?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>Nice! how did you print it out? >>

real easy...as long as you have the cards scanned onto photobucket. It took about 15 minutes total. You can add words..different colored backgrounds. Its on photo paper too. Only took them about4 days to ship it and it only cost about 20 bucks. I have the poster hanging in my office at school..The frame cost more than the print!..A lot safer than hanging the real cards.
  • Options
    Oh I see, they mail it to you. that's real neat! I'll have to remember that.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>I received this '48 leaf sammy baugh RC psa 3 from Scott (elsnorto) in a trade the other day. Great card, Scott is a great guy. My first 48 leaf football card.

Cool thread.

John >>

John,

Thanks again for the trade and I am glad you posted a scan here so I can have visitation rights with my dearly departed Slingin' Sammy rookie. Should you have similar desires to see Mr. Trippi again, he is over on the mail call thread. You're ok for a Packers fan...

Snorto~

• Options
    I tried to take a break from Vintage Football for a bit but I saw this on the Bay and tried to get fairly cheap, ended up winning it for $95, not the best centered card but still very nice IMO.

• Options
    Anyone else got anything new? How is my friend Stown doing on his '51 Bowmans? image

I still havnt been able to find a nice Frank Gifford rookie, since my deal with BMW fell apart Im back to square one again image
  • Options
    Anyone?
  • Options

<< <i>How is my friend Stown doing on his '51 Bowmans? >>

Yeah, yeah.. Keep rubbing it in.

I have some scan worthy cards but keep forgetting them at the office.

• Options
    image I Knew I would grab your eye with this thread Barry! image I checked to see if you were online before I brought it to the top again!

Moving right along on those 51's I see, definately post some scans when you get the chance, I would love to see them image
  • Options

always thought this guy looked like he was gettin ready to drop a duece

• Options
    Looks like a golf pro running up behind him!

Very nice card Joe!
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like a golf pro running up behind him!

Very nice card Joe! >>

thanks Paul, I actually traded it a few days ago, found an upgrade image

joe
  • Options
    Some scans of some of my 52's...

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Bump! Anyone got any new cards to show off?
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Picked this one up the other day..

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Paul..those are some awesome cards! Love the Baugh...that is one of my all-time favs. What did the Waterfield set you back?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super lot of card Paul - nice centering.

Is the set on the registry?

Jason - that's a sweet card with super centering!

I like FB but have only done modern sets.

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Ryan, I got it some time ago and I cant recall how much I spent. The Baugh is my favorite as well, that one I know I paid $325 for, as much as I love a variety of cards for my collection I always tend to lean more heavy on the '52's, the large set is by far my favorite! They are tough as nails to get well centered NM though!
  • Options

<< <i>Super lot of card Paul - nice centering.

Is the set on the registry?

Jason - that's a sweet card with super centering!

I like FB but have only done modern sets.

Thanx for sharing
    mike >>

Thanks Mike! I have them listed in the registry under "Perkdogs 52 Large Football" I have a TON of holes that I want to fill, no way I could ever hope to complete the set in 7 grade unfortunately- it seems some cards dont exist! I have NEVER seen a few of my favorites for sale in 7 or 8 grade,IE:Norm Van Brocklin or Charlie Conerly. SUPER TOUGH!
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I just added these two to my HOF set about an hour ago. Picked them up from a local dealer who finally told me he was holding them until I specifically asked if he had seen any of these. I am absolutely Stunned by the Hinkle. It exceeded my expectations in every single way.

• Options
  • Options
    100!