Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The official 1914/1915 Cracker Jack Thread

Comments

• Options
    I guess I am starting to figure out why people don't have auctions for these cards. Sadly several of my cards listed have either 0 or 1 person watching them. If this trend continues I will have to pull the auctions. Do you guys think that the demand for the 1914 cracker jack is really that bad right now?
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    Not specifically '14 CJ's, but perhaps eBay as a whole and cards in general. The economy doesn't
    help, either. Nice '14 CJ's come up so rarely on eBay, though, that they should always sell. If someone
    wants a card they'll most likely just set a snipe, rather than put it on their watchlist.

You could also just test the waters with a couple cards to get a comfort level.

• Options
    I agree that many CJ buyers are snipers in waiting, although I'm not among them. I just bid what I can afford, and if I lose out, well, no biggie. CW has a good point with respect to testing the demand using just a few cards, and creating a winning listing narrative with some eye-catching pics. You've got some terrific cards, and I'm certain that somebody out there would love to take them off your hands for the right price.

QUESTION TO ALL:

I've not seen a big promotional push for the Cracker Jack sets since Old Cardboard did its expose, or when SMR featured that father and step-son team who were selling both the '14 and '15 CJ sets in one of their issues. That said, do any of you think that new Cracker Jack collectors are being created within the hobby to sustain the demand for these cards that once existed?
    Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 (NQ)

psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=223023&ac=1
  • Options
    be patient, 1914 cracker jacks will go for a high price....

im a sniper
  • Options
    I am not concern with the current price of the cards. I know several people snipe the cards and prices increase substantially at the end of the auction. What I am concern with is the fact that very few people seem to be watching the listings. Hopefully you guys are correct and more people will find my auctions soon.
  • Options

<< <i> That said, do any of you think that new Cracker Jack collectors are being created within the hobby to sustain the demand for these cards that once existed? >>

I'm no expert on the hobby or this issue, but I think time will tell. The one thing this issue has going
    for it is its relative scarcity, especially for cards with limted staining. Some sets have a tough time walking
    the fine line between popularity and scarceness. If cards are too tough to find from a given set, many
    collectors won't attempt to build the complete set. 1914 CJs are tough enough that not many will try
    to assemble a set, but popular and beautiful enough that many vintage collectors have to have at least
    1 or 2 CJs.

• Options
    I agree with that, CW. 1954 Wilson Franks and 1932 US Caramels are a perfect example of that because not only are they both scarce, but you'll need deep pockets to complete your quest. I think that the '15 CJ set has just the right amount of allure to keep collectors interested, and not send them to the poor house, as well. Although, there are a few players in that set that could set many of us back quite a few paychecks. There have only been 630+ ''15 CJs graded a 3 by PSA, and I need to find another 140 to complete my set. With 1/6 of the set already completed, why quit now?

• Options
    Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jack in PSA 7's & 8's!
  • Options
    stormsurgestormsurge Posts: 858 ✭✭
    Two nice pickups there image
  • Options
    If anyone can bid in the Legendary auctions would you please pm me?
  • Options
    Did anyone win the lot of 7 1915 Cracker Jacks from REA last night? If so I'd be interested in #80 image
  • Options
    scoutsout47scoutsout47 Posts: 520 ✭✭
    Hey, CJ Gang. I've seen a similar question posed to the members of the general message board, but I'm curious to know if any of the CJ collectors will be in attendance at the National this year? If so, I wouldn't mind meeting a few of you guys.

• Options
    I haven't been to any shows in many, many years image
  • Options
    Wow, some really incredible prices in the Goodwin auction even before you add in the commissions.
  • Options
    Yup, and Huggins & Scott starts up this Sunday. By the way, Rich, those Nationals haven't been the same without you image

• Options
    I have a 1915 CJ #95 Ray Keating SGC 40 for sale if anyone has any interest.

• Options
    pm sent

• Options
    i love this thread..thanks
  • Options
    A number of high-end '15 CJs went up on the Bay recently and I'm wondering if they were part of a retired set break. Anybody know this fella?

Newly-listed Cracker Jacks on Ebay

• Options
    I don't but did see them.

Also I see a number of you were quoted in the new SMR story on the 1915 set image
  • Options
    That was a good read.

By the way, Congrats to Mr. Rockwood for receiving four (4) citations in that brief article. You're an industry leader, my friend!

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Scout-
    That was my '15 set that I sold last weekend to a middleman.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Thanks for the heads-up, Griffins. They're a sharp group and worth every penny.

• Options
    not sure they are worth the asking price, but there are some nice cards there.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Way to get quoted in the SMR, Anthony! Your '15 CJ set is/was incredible - what set will be your next venture with the proceeds?
  • Options
    I haven't read it, and the interview was months ago, so no idea what I said.
    Whats next? Finish a few things here and there image

• Options
    Oh crap.

I'm pretty sure that Griffins selling his CJ set is a sign of the Armageddon.

(good luck in your next endeavor, whatever it may be...)
  • Options
    picked up a couple at a local show....guy had them buried i had to ask for them.

any new pickups?
  • Options
    Yeah I admit I was sad to see him sell his set but I understand the reasoning behind the decision.

I'm getting really close to having the set finished just need about 9 more cards image

So who is going to cut me a deal on a PSA 1 or 2 Jackson? image
  • Options
    It looks like a couple low population 1914 Cracker Jacks will be up for open eBay auction by PreWarCardCollector later this month.
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like a couple low population 1914 Cracker Jacks will be up for open eBay auction by PreWarCardCollector later this month. >>

isnt that the person who some thought was my "alt" ha wrong again
  • Options
    New to the board and wanted to say you all have some really nice Cracker Jacks. They have to be my second favorite set, still trying to complete my T205's. My one and only 1914 Cracker Jack is not too pretty, but I can't complain.

• Options
    I agree not pretty but still one heck of a card!
  • Options
    hey castaways..welcome!!! go to the customize and turn on your private messaging. what t205's do you have? do you have a registered set? mine can be found through the link in my sigline. i love the t205 set.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    benderbroeth - Glad to be here. Attached is my list of T-205's that I currently have. It has been a long process, but has been rather enjoyable and challenging. Due to my limited budget, I'm putting together a lower end set. I have most of the tough ones including the Mathewson Cycle (which shows his 1908 stats with only 1 loss instead of 11). Im still in the need for the Hoblitzell and Wilhelm "Sufferred" version, but I'm quite sure that those two will cost me when the time comes.

Currently I rank #4 on the Master Set (the other TPG company). For some reason, I can't seem to post my list of cards, but if you give me your email address, I will email it too you (unless I can figure this out). I'm at about 43% complete, but have only graded 32% so far.

The Jennings' MASTER SET
    User's Other Sets

Average Weighted Set Score: 24.57
    Completion: 32%
    Set Superiority: 11.96
    User Name: castaways

• Options
    Wagner Auction

This auction just screams SCAM lol. Look at the feedback.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wagner Auction

This auction just screams SCAM lol. Look at the feedback. >>

All their feedback has been as a buyer. Their most recent feedback , concerns how to get 100% feedback in 24 hours , which I believe is simply feedback you buy for $0.99 .

I smell a rat. IMHO.-- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Hey, Rich. Does this one look familiar?

At first you don't succeed...

• Options
    People like that never give up lol.
  • Options
    Thread has become stale so I thought I'd breath some life back into it image

I’m still looking for help to try and finish this set. I am looking for the cards below in PSA 5 / SGC 60 condition or below.

1915 Cracker Jack

8 - Rube Oldring

63 Babe Adams

80 Ed Reulbach

112 Jeff Sweeney

152 George McQuillan

Also looking for a 1914 Cracker Jack Del Pratt

Thanks all
  • Options
    I have been away from the boards for awhile. How are you guys doing with your sets? I ended up selling my partial 1915 set. Instead, I have focused my energy on the 1914 set. The imperfections and difficulty in putting a 1914 set together eventually won me over. Although finding cards on eBay has turned into a grind, I have been picking up companion pieces. I am also taking the opportunity to study the Cracker Jack brand.
  • Options
    I've been working on a 1915 set with the 1914 variations but it has been a slow grind lately. Not that many cards coming on the eBay auctions lately, at least ones that I need. I don't have much further to go though so happy at that at least image

Let me know what you find out in your study of the brand Packman.
  • Options
    Hey SS, it might be out of range (grade-wise), but I may have a line on an Oldering in an SGC 50. I think I sent you that list earlier, but I've still got it on-hand, if interested.

I'm up to 64 '15 CJs in a PSA 3, and counting.....

• Options
    64 Scout? That's great!
  • Options
    I spoke too soon, SS, I just hit 66 - pick up stix LOL

I'm on fire, man.

• Options
    On the Net54 board they have a thread about how so many threads on the their message board concern themselves with the T206 set. That got me thinking about our set that we love. I wonder why its not nearly as talked about? It seems that most vintage collectors have seen them before and like them. It also has great poses and a cast of superb players and poses. Do you all think that all the variation in backs, etc... is what makes that set so popular?
  • Options
    Probably the Wagner, as one of the most recognizable cards in collecting, you can refer to the set to non-collectors as "The one with Honus Wagner"...I would think the follow up question by a non-collector would be "so where is the Honus Wagner", hence the reason I would never even start the set. There are so many variations with fronts and backs, possibly adding to the allure for some, it is one of the most difficult to assemble with 5016 (or so)total variations. I personally think it would be annoying to work on that set, and personally I have a hard enough time contemplating the few variations in the t205 set, of which the Hoblitzell no stats, possibly as rare as a Wagner. Also, the t206's cards on a whole seem more common than other tobacco cards. On ebay currently there are 293 t206 (-rp -reprint) auctions, and 100 for 1915 cracker jack.
  • Options
    Hey CJ friends,

This card clearly doesn't belong to the 1915 CJ set, but do you guys think it's just a mechanical error or something more nefarious?

imageimage

Note: The cert# DOES match up.

• Options
    it's mechanical. When I was collecting the set I had about half a dozen '14's that were labeled as '15's.

• Options
    Thanks, Griffins. It wasn't a total loss.