Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The official 1914/1915 Cracker Jack Thread

Comments

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Scott, hope I didnt miss those at the show????
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Hey Ted,

Nope, they weren't at the Shriners, but from another local venue. I'll shoot you the scoop.

Scott
  • They look nice! Congrats!
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the spam, but if anyone is interested in a PSA 5 1915 # 29 Vean Gregg or a PSA 7 1915 # 125 Bert Niehoff I'll be posting them on eBay tonight. I'd sell them outright too if you PM me before then.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • very Nice Blacksox and Fed leaguer.....was that a stealth pickup?
  • ShagRotn77,

Do you still have the PSA 5 1915 # 29 Vean Gregg available? If you do, can I see a scan of it?
    Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jack in PSA 7's & 8's!

<< <i>ShagRotn77,

Do you still have the PSA 5 1915 # 29 Vean Gregg available? If you do, can I see a scan of it? >>

Sorry, I sold that a board member here. I still have the PSA 7 Niehoff.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    If anyone needs a PSA 6 1915 # 72 Joe Boehling I have one for sale. LMK.
    A new favorite card of mine - I was unsure about how I felt about the top left corner at first, but the overall strength of the rest of the card makes me love it!!

• Congrats on the nice pickup!

Not much activity here - was able to pickup a low grade No Number Bresnahan (sp?) and a low grade Cashion but thats about it. Ebay is pretty dead for us CJ guys (auctions), at least on the 1915 side.
  • Hey Scooter,

If you ever feel that your new Speaker card should be upgraded, please let me know before parting with the old specimen. It looks VERY NICE to me and I promise to give it a good home!

Regards,

Scout
    Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 (NQ)

psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=223023&ac=1

<< <i>Hey Scooter,

If you ever feel that your new Speaker card should be upgraded, please let me know before parting with the old specimen. It looks VERY NICE to me and I promise to give it a good home!

Regards,

Scout >>

Thanks Scout - I do plan on keeping this one for a while, but will keep you in mind if anything should change. I purchased this at a good price because it was listed with a poor scan, so I was very pleased when I received it!
  • Well, great buy -- and the centering is quite nice!

• amazing SPEAKER! congrats....

wouldnt be a 1914 CJ without some minor flaw!
  • We all seem to agree that Ebay has little to offer right now by way of the '15 CJs (auctions, that is), but is there another venue that any of you seem to be having some luck with....i.e. Craigslist, local shows, et cetera? I'm sure that you guys may want to hoard them all to yourselves -- I know I would -- although I would love to get my hands on a few of your crumbs...lol. Any leads would be great.

Thanks,

Scout

• That Speaker is really neat.

Wasnt there a CJ Cobb or Joe Jackson with clipped corners auctioned recently. Maybe in the SCP auction in July. But the other corners look great for the grade, and the centering is nice.
  • I have a 1915 #166 Bush in a SGC 10 holder as well as a 1915 #135 Killifer in a SGC 10 holder for sale if anyone is interested.
  • Well, I just sent these seven out on Saturday, and I'll have some more scans once they've returned from PSA. I didn't have a black background at the time these were scanned, but I'll have one the next time around. I'm hoping for PSA 3s all-around.

Regards,

Scout

1915 CJs

• was hoping for a pre-war special, they havent had one in a while....i got a bunch ready to go!
  • Hey Guys,

I think we all agree that putting this set together is a very time-consuming endeavor, and with that in mind, I have a question: Should I have some of my older flips reholdered to restore some uniformity to my existing cards, or should I wait until I've completed the set? I only collect '15 CJs in a PSA 3, which will take me even longer than most to assemble, and there's always a risk that PSA may update its flip yet again. I'll eventually get them reholdered, but I guess I'm just uncertain as to whether or not I should do it a few at a time, or hold off until I've got them all in hand. Of all the the nit-picky crap I could be worrying about................

If you want the whole set to be uniform at the end, I would wait until that point. You never know if PSA may change their holders in a year to make them more secure, etc. so I wouldn't do some of the cards now. It could be a waste of $$ if you have to re-holder them again at the end.

Scott
  • Good advice Scott I would agree with that reasoning.
  • Alright, fellas. I sure hope that PSA will refrain from altering its current flip, but I'm always game for increased security. Fake flips and slabs are getting way out of hand!

• I have some 1915 CJs for trade. I am not looking to sell them at this time. If you have any CJs to trade, please let me know. The backs are clean.

imageimageimage
  • Email sent - nice cards for the grades!
  • PM sent

Hi guys,

I just won this '14 Bresnahan on ebay. I figured it was worth the $100 risk, assuming that it's authentic.

Any reason I should question this one?

Thanks!
    Scott
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    David....

Very nice CJ's. They present very well for the grades.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
    Looks like I got my answer when the Bresnahan arrived today - to paraphrase Seinfeld, it's real and it's spectacular!

• Congrats on the Bresnahan!
  • Very nice, Scooter. What's the VCP average for the Bresnahan PSA 1?

• Around $300 for a NO # version.
    Thinking it may come back as authentic since the corner is cut off, still a great buy! I picked up a raw Comiskey and have my eye on a few more out there. this set has taken a back seat in recent months to my other sets
  • I suspect that even if it comes back Authentic, you will have made your money back. I know what you mean about prioritizing your sets, Rebublicaninmass, which is why I've narrowed it down to just two: '15 CJs and '34 Goudey -- and only in a PSA 3. I put together many of the 50's sets in a matter of months, which took all of the challenge out of collecting. Your t205s are beautiful, and when it's time to begin a new set, that's where I'll be heading. I also love the '32 U.S. Caramels, but they're oh, so expensive.

So far, I haven't been able to find more than a couple of CJs a month that meet my criteria, which has kept it exciting for me.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have a feeling the Bresnahan will get a numerical grade, because of the strength of the rest of the card.

I have a Speaker (a little higher up in the thread) which had a clip missing on a corner (albeit a smaller clip than the Bresnahan) that graded a PSA 3, and the rest of the Bresnahan card is stronger than the Speaker. Either way, I don't intend on selling, so I'm happy. My main concern was getting an authentic card and not a reprint, so considering that it's real and has 3 NM corners, it works for my $100!

BTW - the PSA 1 which sold for $300 is in absolutely smashed condition.

• Well said!

I cant figure out why some of my t3's keep coming back as authentic if they have a little chunk missing, they are deserving of a 1 unless they have a tape repair necessary to hold the card together, or are altered....lol at least in my eyes. I have some t3's headed out and I will be a 70% completion...albeit needing just about ALL of the pricey ones image
    I hear ya, Ted - a little more consistency from PSA would be appreciated! I don't know how that other Bresnahan card got a 1 - that is a 0.5 at best!
  • Hey all,
    Threads like this are great to learn from and I've read a few start to finish to get and appreciation for certain sets. I find enjoy the Cracker Jack cards of '14 and '15 for the artwork. I like the high contrast color, the graphics and the two tone "action" scenes really show the style of the period, with the small gloves, uni's, etc.

Anyone have a 1915 Frank Smith to offer? There was a raw card w/ paper loss on ebay a while back, but I did not bid. However, the front was clean and for my purposes that would have been ok. LKM if anyone has others that are similar (ie: red and green field w/ good centering and coloring) in lower grades or raw, or compromised with a ding or such that keep it out of your set's grading criteria.

Thanks.

LINK

Back of card
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Congrats on the auction win Rip, nice lot image

• << <i>I hear ya, Ted - a little more consistency from PSA would be appreciated! I don't know how that other Bresnahan card got a 1 - that is a 0.5 at best! >>

there is the widest range of cards in the PSA 1 group....you have cards that are such beater you can hardly make them out (yet not trimmed ) ..these will be PSA 1, and you also have the great looking card with a lot of paper loss on the back--that will be a PSA 1...

so you see, PSA is being consistent, its just PSA 1 has a lot of variations...you just know one thng about them, they are not good enough to be a PSA 2
  • Paper loss on the back is my friend in putting together pre-war sets. Here is an example of a low grade card (SGC 3 - but probably a PSA 1/2 due to paper loss):

imageimage
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Packman,

Check you PMs.

• << <i>Paper loss on the back is my friend in putting together pre-war sets. Here is an example of a low grade card (SGC 3 - but probably a PSA 1/2 due to paper loss):

imageimage >>

where is the paper loss????
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • two spots: last line (speck of paper missing from the letter "p") and bottom below the text a small spot missing (cannot see very well because it is paper loss on the white stock).
    LAtely, on the t3's psa has been killing me, I had 3 SGC 1.5's come back as authentic, and 2 more thet are not trimmed but have little chuncks missing graded authentic. At 60 a pop it is frustrating....so frustrated in fact I just sent in 25 more image
  • some really cool cards here! i have been into these card for a while, now im getting familiar with tis "grading" thing
  • Welcome to the thread prewarcardcollector image
  • I am finally getting around to scanning my Cracker Jack cards. So far I have 117 cards scanned. I still need to scan around 10 more 1915 CJs and my 1914 CJs. If I can figure out the Elements program for MAC, I will merge the 1914 counterpart to the 1915 card as 1 scan.

1915 Cracker Jack Set
  • Stunning thanks for posting the link!