Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Double post, sorry!!!! The first one took a minute to before it appeared....so I posted again!!

So So return on this 1/2oz Unc Plat

Going to take time before the reality of low mintages take hold in the collector base I suppose.
  • Options
    Pretty good return on this 1 oz Plat Unc.

1 oz Platinum Unc.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Ericj,

If you don't mind, talk about the silver unc 'w' eagles on your list. From mintages, they don't look that special to me. Then again, I don't follow the series so much. Thoughts? Thanks!

BTW, I like the list. I didn't hit every one, but enough to make me smile. image >>

I think if we take the represented mintage of the 2008/07's of 46,318, and deduct it from the 2008 W known mintage it's around 424,000 for the 08 W's which would make it the lowest mintage in the series. The 06 W's are at 470,000, with 250,000 in the 20th anniversary sets + 220,000 singles. Should command a premium unless they remain on sale into 09...IMO
  • Options
    PCGS MS70 1oz. Not bad!!! image
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 06 W's are at 470,000, with 250,000 in the 20th anniversary sets + 220,000 singles.

There were 250,000 in the 20th Anniversary set, 20,000 in the gold and silver uncirculated 1 oz. set, and 200,000 singles, which are currently available for less than $60 each on eBay (including single coin box and COA). I don't see much upside for the regular 2008-W burnished silver eagles, given the Mint's $25.95 price.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    NYC

Devotion is not at play here and muleheadedness does not apply,

what matters is common sense.

Common sense tells us that the USM wont be short striking every other series and going "all out" and striking the h&ll out of plat unc w's....that's just a fools bet.

What the last few weeks on this forum has taught me is that most of the members are completely impatient and quick to shoot down rational judgement when it comes to these plat unc -w coins.

Their play is the "coin de jour" , whatever can be flipped quick for profit. No time for looking for evidence and piecing together an educated guess on where mintages will end up.

No matter how sharp the member is, they cant answer the simple question of where all those backordered coins are? 7 weeks, no shipments. 1000+ coins overordered on the 1/4oz unc w plat. Hundreds of cancellations not reflected.

I like Eric's reasoning when it comes to collector demand and how these Modern's are collected, whether it is by Type (changing reverse) or series. But one area which I have talked with Eric on is the box of twenty concept, which seems to be creeping it's way into Modern collecting. Yes, it is extremely hard to model, but you can gaurantee that the rarest of the rare will be included, across several series, even if that key is king by 10 pieces over the next least minted by type.

So, when new keys are born, think of it like my example of the 94P Morgan vs the 93S Morgan. 110K vs 100K. Huge spread in values at all levels.

I do think that these issues, whether it's unc or proof plats, unc or proof buffs, etc, if it's the key by 10 pieces - it's the key and will demand a much higher price than it's little semi-key brother..

Plat unc's are not dependent on proof plat collectors to make the market. They have their own following. This is getting much bigger than just plat collectors. This is becoming a search for the great rarities. If I want the lowest mintage plat, what do I care if it's proof or unc....?
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still buying platnum the way I look at it is I can buy a 1 /10 Oz. Buffalo off the bay for 299 or two plats for the same price. I'll buy the plat and we dont know the mintage this my be a gift with out us knowing it the mint will give out the numbers after the 30 day return is over so all of them are
    "SOLD". But that is just me. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My last Proof Plat order that was just shipped was ordered at 9:13 pm on 12/8. Cutoff date was after that obviously.

Order number: 30630xxx

Order Date: 12/08/2008 at 09:13 PM

Order Status: Your order request has been shipped.

Billed to: ------

Shipped to: -------
    Shipping Method:
    EXPEDITED

Tracking Number(s):
    953214258xxx FEDERAL EXPRESS

Product Name Quantity Price
    (each) Total Item Status Cancel

2008 AE PLAT PRF 1/2 OZ 4 $599.95 $2,399.80 4 units shipped on 12/20/2008 >>

My Proof Plat set was ordered 12/8 @ 9:51 pm. This give me hope that it will be shipped.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    My Proof Plat Set was ordered on 12/8 at 6:24 PM ET, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options

<< <i>I am still buying platnum the way I look at it is I can buy a 1 /10 Oz. Buffalo off the bay for 299 or two plats for the same price. I'll buy the plat and we dont know the mintage this my be a gift with out us knowing it the mint will give out the numbers after the 30 day return is over so all of them are
    "SOLD". But that is just me. image >>

This time next month will tell us what is up...there will be no more debating about it...

I do know this...the US Government HATES for things to go to the press and they always...almost always...settle lawsuits out of court...so keep that in mind NYC image

I mention that just encase sales numbers jump up drastically in the future....I spoke to general counsel a few months ago who represents the US Government entity that I work for right now...I explained to him what happened in 2006 and how the mint could not get the sales numbers straight with the one ounce coins, etc...how they suddenly jumped up by 500 coins a couple months later. To make the long story short...he agreed that a congressional as well as a class action lawsuit would have been a good course of action and that it would have been easily justifiable and reasonable to have done so in the eyes of the court.

Alright well enough of that for now...
    Platinum Is Best
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jbw, my order for 4coin plat proofs was placed 12/8 442pm... still shows backorder. I'll keep you posted as it seems Im ahead of you by 2 hours.

My 1oz, 1/2 oz, and 1/4 showed up today. Still waiting on my 1/10, backordered. Fingers crossed

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    My 3pc. 1/2oz. Proof Plats will be here Monday AM!!! image
  • Options
    my order for the 4 piece plat proof was 12/10/08 2:39 pm.

I have a credit long overdue from the mint of $1250.

The USM acknowledged this via email last week but has not yet credited my card.

I am so pissed!

I am also not getting the coins they promised were set aside for me.

They told me they would not refund my $ and let me have at lower price but would first credit me and then rebill me for the coins an ship. BS

Now I have neither.

You need big $$ to play this game.

I wonder how fast thy will fill the 2009 HR.

Ships are safe in harbor but thats not what ships were built for.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pretty good return on this 1 oz Plat Unc.

1 oz Platinum Unc. >>

I guess this all relative. Looking a PCGS Price Guide, a 2006 $100 and a 2006-W $100 plat both in MS69 are $945-955!? What gives? I haven't looked at them in a while. I remember selling a -70 06-W for just over $4,000. Of course that was March of 2007. I know all plats have come down but to have no premium on the 06-W is a bit unnerving.

Ren(W)
  • Options

<< <i>jbw, my order for 4coin plat proofs was placed 12/8 442pm... still shows backorder. I'll keep you posted as it seems Im ahead of you by 2 hours.

My 1oz, 1/2 oz, and 1/4 showed up today. Still waiting on my 1/10, backordered. Fingers crossed >>

Thanks DCW... If the status on my order changes, I'll keep you posted also.
  • Options
    What is a bit unnerving is the other thread about a well known dealer/collector forum member selling multiple 4 pc plat proof sets at 2150.

Says he hasnt kept track of value or sellout. Hmmm. Interesting.

Smells like a cash flow issue in the marketplace.....

• Options
    It's BS, plain and simple. You dont buy in bulk, and then flip them for under mint issue price right after they sell out with speculation running high. Add Ebay's fees and you LOSE money on this auction! Forum member? Must have been out to lunch because all we've talked for the last month were Buffs, and the plat unc/ proof speculations. SOMETHING doesnt add up. And what a coincidence, these people that won the auction never got the coins. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    Maybe all of the PRF Plat sets that were sold too cheap ($2,150) were lost in the mail? image
    "There's no free lunch" MF
  • Options
    I was hoping this coin would bring a better premium as I own an MS70 1/4oz. Unc. Plat.

I hope things pick up after the holidays,

I've got to say, the Gold Buffs are doing very well as far as bringing top dollars.

Now, if and when Platinum spot starts to rise, it will be a different story.

eBay Link
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Goldbully I think it is going to be a slow recovery for the prices on 2008 platinum except for the proof coins which should start going up once a few more sales reports come out. I think the economy and people focusing on gold has something to do with it. I saw on HSN over the weekend they sold out of 500 gold buffalo $5 coins in 5 minutes once they were told this was the last year for those. People love the buffalo coins but hopefully the platinum will follow eventually.
  • Options
    Check it out Half-Strike........

It's about F'ing Time!!!!!!! image

$3k for an Unc set!!!!!

Is the Plat base finally coming around now?????? image
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>Check it out Half-Strike........

It's about F'ing Time!!!!!!! image

$3k for an Unc set!!!!!

Is the Plat base finally coming around now?????? image >>

Peanuts compared to what they will bring in a few years. I wouldn't sell my sets for $3k.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    Collectors will start to question why all those thousands of orders were not delivered......

subsequently cancelled.......

there aren't any there to ship, the numbers are VERY LOW
  • Options
    Goldbully I am not sure one auction or even a series of auctions today mean much, I am more interested in what they sell for years down the road. The spouse coins were selling for crazy money right after sellout and now look at those. It is all long-term with these.

Also look at this ended price:

PCGS MS70 2008-W Platinum Eagle $10 RARE!This seller accepts PayPal
    View similar active items | Sell one like this
    Sold As Best OfferSold $255.00 Dec-21 14:48

$255 for a pcgs ms70 plat 2008 W, that isn't very good for the seller, for the buyer it is though.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2008 Plat. Unc set just sold on Ebay for $3000 Raw and not in the sealed mint box. Unreal. I sold three sets, in the sealed mint box, over the past week or so for $2600-$2650/set. The difference a week makes!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Here is a raw 2008 buffalo proof set that is at $2,950:

Linky

23 hours to go. Any guesses where it will end?
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<What is a bit unnerving is the other thread about a well known dealer/collector forum member selling multiple 4 pc plat proof sets at 2150.>>

<<Says he hasnt kept track of value or sellout. Hmmm. Interesting.>>

<<Smells like a cash flow issue in the marketplace.....>>

7over8:

I actually bought the last $2150 set on Saturday morning...as it was only the Plat 4-coin proof set that I stupidly overlooked this year! I actually felt like I struck gold (platinum?) for about 12 hours until the other thread erupted...and caused me a restless night...with visions of everything but sugerplums dancing in my head.

Hopefully, that situation is now being squared away.

• Options
    Here is another raw buffalo at $3,150 with 23 hour+ to go.

linky
  • Options

Yes the following might seem totally off topic, but isn't...

Fourth quarterly income taxes are due by 1/15/09, NOT 12/31/08...correct?

I ask, because with all my gold and plat cc bills coming in, I'd rather not have to jump through hoops to also have to send out a check to the IRS in the next week and a half...!
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Estimated tax payments are due by April 15th, June 15th, September 15th, and January 15th.
    Dan
  • Options
    <<Estimated tax payments are due by April 15th, June 15th, September 15th, and January 15th.>>

Thanks much, nycounsel...touch when you have to decide which unit of the Treasury to pay first, the Mint or the IRS!!!
  • Options
    Post 3531.

That's just 13 away from the 3544 mintage of the 2006-w uncirculated $10 platinum coins, the highest mintage of the 2006-w uncirculated platinums.

Dan
  • Options

<< <i>Post 3531.

That's just 13 away from the 3544 mintage of the 2006-w uncirculated $10 platinum coins, the highest mintage of the 2006-w uncirculated platinums.

image >>

What are you talking about?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What are you talking about? >>

Surely you've just forgotten. That's one of the *TOP SECRET* buy/sell codes. You'll have to go back to the beginning and re-read the thread until you find the chart that contains all the letters, numerals & "special" characters used as code words.image
  • Options
    Unless you have one of the CU decoder rings! image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow day, eh counsel?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Unless you have one of the CU decoder rings! image >>

• Options
    TextWe ned some new numbers.....image
    Platinum Is Best
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Six to go for 3544. Do we win something NY?

Ren(W)
  • Options
    Effective July 23, 2008, the United States Mint will commence selling the following 2008 American Eagle Proof Coins according to the following price schedule:
    Description Price American Eagle Platinum Proof Coins:

Oneounce platinum coin............................... $2,509.95

Onehalf ounce platinum coin.......................... 1,279.95

Onequarter ounce platinum coin....................... 664.95

Onetenth ounce platinum coin......................... 279.95

Fourcoin platinum set................................ 4,589.95 image

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I asked this on another thread, but is their evidence that some of the APE 2006-W uncs were melted...if so, how many?
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Misread the post.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    I asked this on another thread, but is their evidence that some of the APE 2006-W uncs were melted...if so, how many?

Several regular contributors to this thread reported selling 2006-w platinum uncs to bullion dealers for melt value. Whether they were actually melted or not, I don't know. Some reported shaking the coins in a jar before sending to take them out of the MS69 range. As far as I know, this was only the $100 coins; the smaller coins retained a premium over melt value even at 2300/oz.
    Dan
  • Options
    I sold 50K+ of 1 and 1/2 oz. 2006 and 2007 plats all taken from 4 coin sets.
    Both proof and unc.
    At the time plat was $1900-$2000 and I could sell the big coins and clear the 1/4 and 1/10.
    Wish I had sold more but it freed up enough money that I was able to get into 2008 buffalo and proof plats in a big way.
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    It is hard to believe it is time again for the new mintage numbers tomorrow. The way things have been going we will probably know nothing more than we know today.
  • Options
    It is hard to believe it is time again for the new mintage numbers tomorrow. The way things have been going we will probably know nothing more than we know today.
    Dan
  • Options
    Watch this buffalo set......not mine............$3350 with 40 minutes left to auction end.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200289013385
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    There are quite a few buffalo's in the next hour that will ending that I will be watching. Should be interesting. We haven't seen any new highs it seems in the last week.
  • Options
    There seem to be a surprising number of 2008w unc platinum MS70 4 coin sets available.

I count 7, most with buy it now prices of around $3800.

Edited to add: none are mine, just observing.
    Dan
  • Options
    There seem to be a surprising number of 2008w unc platinum MS70 4 coin sets available.

I count 7, most with buy it now prices of around $3800.

For those who believe the 2008 w uncirculateds will be the new kings, $3800 for an MS70 4 coin set is a bargain.

It makes sense to keep a close eye on the next released numbers and act quickly if there's a significant drop.
    Dan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file