Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>How do you know they shipped? I never get a good status from the mint webpage. It always says "in process," until I get the coins on my doorstep. The next day, I get a "order has been shipped" update.
    Your coins that were backordered were shipped, too? At what point if at any time, did they go "in stock and reserved?" I've had a 4 coin set, and 2 1/10ths on backorder since the afternoon of the 8th, and they still show "backordered." >>

Try here: Fedex link, If your order was over 300, they know first when it's on the way...
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Same here. i usually get the notification the day after I have them in hand.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    4 coin proof gold sets are backorder so they shortstruck those too.

• << <i>4 coin proof gold sets are backorder so they shortstruck those too. >>

I almost passed on those in favor of the UNCs, but I decided to go ahead and order 2 of the 4 coin Proofs last week to make sure I had all the bases covered.

Awesome news!
    I had a feeling the 4-coin set was going to go when the 1 oz when dark.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Product will not be available tomorrow sundown.

• nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Does anyone have the 2006 and 2007 numbers for the AGE proofs and unc-ws? Just for comparison's sake.

Thanks
    Dan
  • I've been asking for those numbers for Days.

It seems not many track it, Dan.

BTW, my $100 2008 W Proof Platinum that was on back-order has changed to "Reserved and In-Stock", with Check Box gone! It joins the (4) $50 2008 W Proof Platinum Coins that are also in the same state.

Now, I just need that back-ordered 2008 W Proof Platinum 4-Coin Set to turn! image
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are the 2008 W AGE Uncs. going off sale on 12/31? Other threads say this is the case. I thought that they were selling into mid 09. Thanks.

Raufus, the AGE "W" Uncs are "minted to demand" according to the Mint's own terminology.

That means that the coins will be sold until they are gone, or until the Mint decides to pull them. In past years, Dec. 31st is not a date of any significance.

In 2006, the "W" Uncs weren't released until the 2nd half of the year, and even then, they weren't big sellers until along around October, when the "W" Plats started selling out and people realized that they weren't going to be re-supplied. The AGE "W" Uncs didn't sell out until December, but when they did, they went quickly.

In 2008, we have a situation where they are still "minted to demand" and we know that the Mint pronounced about 2 months ago that they were not buying any more fractional precious metal blanks, because - due to the shortage of metals they were going to focus on 1 oz. coins the rest of the year.

Now, I may be an idiot, but that seems to tell me that when the "W" Uncs run out, there will be ***instant recognition*** of the fact that these are low mintage coins, last of the "W" series, which when folded into the regular unc issue series will be major keys.

Don't say that I never told you so. Regards, jmski. >>

Thanks very much for this very informative post!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have the 2006 and 2007 numbers for the AGE proofs and unc-ws? Just for comparison's sake.

2006: AGE "W" Uncs / Proofs

1/10: 25,650 / 49,016

1/4: 19,925 / 37,764

1/2: 18,850 / 36,097

1: 49,975 / 48,747

2007: AGE "W" Uncs / Proofs

1/10: 24,300 / 59,583

1/4: 14,615 / 48,680

1/2: 13,358 / 45,398

1: 24,902 / 53,618

Interesting, huh guys?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Half -

You dont seem to listen much.

I've said several times that the US Mint Office of Public Affairs confirmed that CANCELLATIONS have not yet been included in the sales report. The date of the report doesnt matter. They HAVE NOT been deducted.

How much more clear can I make it for you?

You guys read a POS mint stats box in a publication and treat it like scripture. Didnt you ever ask them how they account for sales, what is included, how are returns handled, how and when are they deducted?

No. Not a surprise. I wouldnt expect much more from you.

Man, do some research and then shoot your mouth off. At least we would respect your opinion ......

As for the buff's, I am a fan. I bought these too. I will profit just like the rest of you.
  • i ordered 1 1/10 AGE proof and 1 1/4 AGE proof. i don't even collect these, but WTH they will go dark soon.....

7/8 if anyone else wants to see what was said then this thread has what we thought. You said the numbers would drop, I don't see any mention by you that they were not going to drop as you now claim.

Also you were very lukewarm on the buffaloes, even saying the 1/10 were too small.

So others can decide for themselves based on that, I will leave it at that.
  • youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Jmski: I'm assuming your number are representative of total coins including 4-coin sets?
  • The Mint will be continuing all of the American Eagle Gold Proof items in 2009 and beyond, right? And the 2008 1 oz. proof will likely not replace the current King, so that leaves the fractionals as the only potential Kings, but which can be unseated in the future.

It seems to me the eagle gold uncs are a smarter play, even though the collector base is significantly smaller.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Here is a list of the discontinued and last chance Mint products:

Discontinued Products
    United States Mint Presidential $1 Coin Historical Signature Sets™
    United States Mint Presidential $1 Coin — Individual Proof Coins™
    American Eagle Platinum Uncirculated Coins (all options)
    American Eagle Platinum Proof 1/2, 1/4, 1/10, and Four-Coin Sets
    American Eagle Gold Uncirculated 1/2, 1/4, 1/10, and Four-Coin Sets
    American Buffalo Uncirculated Gold Coins (all options)
    American Buffalo Proof 1/2, 1/4, 1/10, and Four-Coin Sets
    50 State Quarters® First Day Coin Covers (continue through 2008)
    Greetings From America Portfolios and Card Sets
    Coin and Die Sets
    Collectible Spoons

yeh looks like gold eagle fractionals are only ones staying.Laters
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me the eagle gold uncs are a smarter play, even though the collector base is significantly smaller.

The latest sales figures I see show the 2008-W one-ounce unc. Gold Eagle selling less than 6400, and the 1/4 ounce less than 4200. Depending on the remaining unsold stock, both these coins could potentially wind up with a 4-figure mintage, which would be a first for *any* Gold Eagle (excluding the 1999-W error coins). The 2008-W unc. half-ounce is also part of the "Double Prosperity" set, which will likely push its mintage higher.

My bet for the best long-term potential is the 1/4 ounce, which will likely have the lowest overall mintage. This is its final year as a "W" burnished unc., so if the mintage is under 10,000 it will likely remain the key of the 1/4 ounce set for the foreseeable future. The one-ounce "W" unc. coin will continue to be struck, so there's a better possibility of it being dethroned. Also, if the price of gold hits the stratosphere, the 1/4 ounce coins will increase their collector base relative to the one-ounce coins due to affordability.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

<< <i>Product will not be available tomorrow sundown.

image >>

DARK! "Product is not available."

Jmski: I'm assuming your number are representative of total coins including 4-coin sets?

Yes, those numbers are inclusive. Those numbers are based on the last reports when they were published in NN. They might have been adjusted slightly since, but probably not.

I knew it would happen.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a list of the discontinued and last chance Mint products:

Discontinued Products
    United States Mint Presidential $1 Coin Historical Signature Sets™
    United States Mint Presidential $1 Coin — Individual Proof Coins™
    American Eagle Platinum Uncirculated Coins (all options)
    American Eagle Platinum Proof 1/2, 1/4, 1/10, and Four-Coin Sets
    American Eagle Gold Uncirculated 1/2, 1/4, 1/10, and Four-Coin Sets
    American Buffalo Uncirculated Gold Coins (all options)
    American Buffalo Proof 1/2, 1/4, 1/10, and Four-Coin Sets
    50 State Quarters® First Day Coin Covers (continue through 2008)
    Greetings From America Portfolios and Card Sets
    Coin and Die Sets
    Collectible Spoons

yeh looks like gold eagle fractionals are only ones staying.Laters >>

Missing are the AGE Proofs? I can't remember if the fractional proofs are toast next year?

Ren(W)
    @jmski52: thanks for finding and sharing the numbers on those
    Dan
  • I think all proof eagle are coming back.This is from newsmintblog.

The list of discontinued products includes:

American Buffalo Uncirculated Gold Coins - These are the versions offered by the US Mint with the "W" mint mark. All fractional denominations, 4 coin set, and the one ounce coin will be discontinued. No offerings will remain.

American Buffalo Proof Gold Coins - The fractional 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/10 oz coins and 4 coin set will be discontinued. Only the one ounce Proof coin will remain.
    American Platinum Eagle Uncirculated Coins - These are the versions offered by the US Mint with the "W" mint mark. All fractional denominations, 4 coin set, and the one ounce coin will be discontinued. No offerings will remain.

American Platinum Eagle Proof Coins - The fractional 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/10 oz coins and 4 coin set will be discontinued. Only the one ounce Proof coin will remain.
    American Gold Eagle Uncirculated Coins - These are the versions offered by the US Mint with the "W" mint mark. The fractional 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/10 oz coins and 4 coin set will be discontinued. Only the one ounce Proof coin will remain.
    Presidential Dollar Coin Historical Signature Sets
    Presidential Dollar Individual Proof Coins
    50 State Quarter First Day Coin Covers
    Greetings from America Portfolio and Card Sets
    Coin and Die Sets
    Collectible Spoons
  • I just checked my mint shipping and 16 of my 18 1/2oz plat proofs are shipping.Sure will be nice to see them all come home.Laters

• << <i>Jmski: I'm assuming your number are representative of total coins including 4-coin sets?

Yes, those numbers are inclusive. Those numbers are based on the last reports when they were published in NN. They might have been adjusted slightly since, but probably not. >>

The 2007 "w" gold eagles final final numbers fell hard............................. esp the $50 coin.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2007 "w" gold eagles final final numbers fell hard............................. esp the $50 coin.

Possibly that's because the 2006-W unc. $50 included 20,000 coins in the gold and silver unc. set and 10,000 coins in the 3-coin gold set with reverse proof.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

As always Eric, any updates from a truly authoritative source are very much appreciated.

I was looking at your other 3 year old thread, and noticed that you had 4,886 as the 2004 Proof 1/2 oz. Plat mintage. I've been using the 5,023 number all along.

Could you provide an update for the recent Plats and the 2006 & 2007 "W" AGEs?

Thanks, jmski

I knew it would happen.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't wait anymore and bought the 4-coin AGE unc. Nice numbers.

Ren(W)
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Steal or deal...?

Just ended with Buy It Now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250345290433 >>

Unless I'm still drunk from last week, That would be either dumb, or a typo. Why price it lower than mint price and after sold out status? Shoot with a coupon it's be even better...Makes no sense...
  • It seems pretty quiet here relative the AGE proofs. These will most likely come in lower than 2001. Anyone buying?
  • Yeah, I picked up a couple of fractionals but I am really afraid to look at my credit card statement after this month.
    It seems pretty quiet here relative the AGE proofs. These will most likely come in lower than 2001. Anyone buying?

I think the problem is that there are have been SO many options this month that have looked like great opportunities.

There's only so much $$ we can spend, and so far most of them haven't really caught fire on the secondary market.

I agree that the AGE proof and uncirculated look really good in terms of numbers, but I just have no feel for that collector base.

The uncirculated golds are really low numbers right now, though sales figures don't reflect what the inventory is. Since the proofs closed out low, presumably the uncirculateds would be something around (and likely lower) than the proof numbers.
    Dan
  • Yeah - I'm pretty tapped out right now. Still managed to but a few. I will be dumping my unc plats - that boat has sailed.
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Here are some links for some prior posts:

1. 08 Platinum Proof Set sold BIN for $2,150!
    08 Plat Proof Set sells for $2,150 BIN

2. 08-W Buffalo Proof Set Sealed sells for $3,295
    08 buffalo Proof set sells for $3,295
    Lets go with this because this is all we have for now.

AGE 4 coin proof set product limit - 35,000 Sold out at approximately 1/3rd of limit.

If the fractionals sell out at the same rate as the 4 coin set, the scenario would look something like this:

AGE dimes single product limit - 30,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 10,000 plus (approx 10 - 15,000 4 coin sets) = 20 - 25,000 total
    AGE quarters single product limit - 16,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 5,334 plus " " " " " " = 15,334 - 20,334 total
    AGE halves single product limit - 15,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 5,000 plus " " " " " " = 15,000 - 20,000 total

The numbers are good enough for me.

Any ideas?
    The numbers are good enough for me.

Any ideas?

I agree with your assessment of the numbers.
    Dan
  • Gold Eagle Proof Keys

1/10 oz. $5 proof 1997 35,164

1/4 oz. $10 proof 2001 25,630

1/2 oz. $25 proof 2001 23,261

As quoted from the article on investing in key date moderns. (forgot name and author - sorry)
    If so, the tenths should be showing backordered soon !!
  • I JUST WENT OUT AND BOUGHT SOME $5, $10, $25 AGE PROOFS AND UNC "W".

FAVOR THE CHEAP COINS GUYS WITH WHAT LITTLE MONEY YOU HAVE LEFT.
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If so, the tenths should be showing backordered soon !! >>

I think that there might be a problem because the $5's from past years, including 1997 are only selling for a little more than $110 and the Mint's price is $160 for this year, even if this year is the key, would it be a $200+ coin?

And the key 2001 $10 is selling for around $250, 2008 from the Mint is $300.

And the key 2001 $25 is selling for around $485, 2008 from the Mint is $535.

Am I missing something or are prices really weak even for keys on these gold eagles unless it is a 70.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Guess you know the 1997 $5 gold eagle proof mintage was $34,977

• LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guess you know the 1997 $5 gold eagle proof mintage was $34,977 >>

I don't know what the mintage is, I just saw that someone said that was the key and for a key, it sure does not command a good price.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• The idea is to own a (lowest Mintage) Key Coin of a popular series with the widest possible Collection Base, right?

Here are some of them in no particular order:

1.) 2008 W $50 MS Buff - Gold

2.) 2008 W Unc w/ 2007 W Unc Reverse = Key Silver Coin of a (3) Year Series - Silver

3.) 2008 W Fractional Buffs, either Proof and Mint State - Gold

4.) 2008 W $50 Proof Buff - Gold (lower than 2006 or 2007 so far. (With reduced product to choose from in 2009, one would expect 2009 W's to easily surpass 2008 W $50 coin)

5.) 2008 W Proof Platinum’s

6.) 2006 W Unc Platinum’s

7.) 1995 W Proof Silver $1

8.)

9.)

Smarter guys than me can fill in and make any corrections.
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    IMO the best buy of what's left are the Prosperity Sets. There's a triple play with them, bullion, 1/2 oz unc and of course the unc 1/2 oz Buffalo. The big problem is that no one seems to know the mintage.
    USAF vet 1951-59
    I think the problem for the proof gold eagle is it is already a 20 year old series that will be continued and not many, certainly not 20,000 or more will collect all of them IMO. I just think these won't be deep enough keys to command high multiples but it is only my guess. Also the series is suppose to continue so a later year might see very high gold prices which would kill sales perhaps if another comes in close to these mintages.

The chance for a deep key if it happens will be in the unc not the proof, and those are ended at least.

Also by comparison the proof buffalo numbers are already under the proof gold eagles or close to it so the eagles won't be the lowest proof gold of 2008. That is why I like the buffalo the most for the gold, the numbers were so low.
    What about the 2008-W AGE Unc. It seems the fractional and 1 oz coins may end up having very low mintages.

• << <i>I think the problem for the proof gold eagle is it is already a 20 year old series that will be continued and not many, certainly not 20,000 or more will collect all of them IMO. I just think these won't be deep enough keys to command high multiples but it is only my guess. Also the series is suppose to continue so a later year might see very high gold prices which would kill sales perhaps if another comes in close to these mintages.

The chance for a deep key if it happens will be in the unc not the proof, and those are ended at least.

Also by comparison the proof buffalo numbers are already under the proof gold eagles or close to it so the eagles won't be the lowest proof gold of 2008. That is why I like the buffalo the most for the gold, the numbers were so low. >>

Then why was the AGE Proof 4 coin set the fist to sell out then? This makes no sense if there is no collector base as you say.
    I didn't say there wasn't a collector base, please read again. I said a 20,000 plus collector base which is what it would take to move these higher.

Also some of these people buying today are not collectors for the whole series, they are for gold bullion only thinking the world is going to end.

PS Don't forget key coins in expanding series may not always remain keys. The question is what is the number it takes to get these coins to draw a premium over the others?

The unc on the other hand may be established low keys forever, that is the difference.

The problem I have with these w coins in these series is the cheap series collectors can skip past them as they are not keys within the established one year coin per year issue. However my guess is long-term they are the CC coins of the Morgan series and some will only collect the W coins. If that is the case then these 2008 w unc have a good chance to do well.

One thing on the gold proof eagle though, this years numbers may come in lower than 2007 W unc gold eagle so perhaps they are fairly low after all. At seeing this I may say the 1/10 and 1/4 could do well now assuming they remain the low and the series ends soon but it may take a while.

I just think the unc have more potential is all.
    Gold Eagle Proof Keys

1/10 oz. $5 proof 1997 35,164

1/4 oz. $10 proof 2001 25,630

1/2 oz. $25 proof 2001 23,261

The 2005 1/10th ozers came in around 34,756. but that's like splitting hairs, kinda.

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file