Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    It seems that even on the long end ( with possibly 15,000 4 coin proof sets ) which is Highly unlikely, the '08's may come in under the previously reported kings.

If only 10,000 sets & 1/3rd production runs, its time to jump on the bandwagon !!!
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems that even on the long end ( with possibly 15,000 4 coin proof sets ) which is Highly unlikely, the '08's may come in under the previously reported kings.

If only 10,000 sets & 1/3rd production runs, its time to jump on the ! >>

My question was not who would be king. The question is, would the kings be worth more than its current cost since the old kings are selling for 20% below the current years prices and have almost no premium compare to the non-kings..
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• I have spent ENOUGH, and I still need money for January.
  • OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I am tapped out also. My advice to anyone that gets these and the price happens to go up some. SELL FAST. My experience with PR70's is that you can't even get half of PCGS price guide. I don't want to even mess with these.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I just paid the first of two very large credit card bills and am not ordering anymore. If it isn't in stock, on backorder or on hold in my account it isn't being added!image
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets go with this because this is all we have for now.

AGE 4 coin proof set product limit - 35,000 Sold out at approximately 1/3rd of limit.

If the fractionals sell out at the same rate as the 4 coin set, the scenario would look something like this:

AGE dimes single product limit - 30,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 10,000 plus (approx 10 - 15,000 4 coin sets) = 20 - 25,000 total
    AGE quarters single product limit - 16,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 5,334 plus " " " " " " = 15,334 - 20,334 total
    AGE halves single product limit - 15,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 5,000 plus " " " " " " = 15,000 - 20,000 total

The numbers are good enough for me.

Any ideas?

Let's see what this implies for the 2008-W *uncirculated* fractional gold eagle mintage.

In 2007, the unc. "W" mintage was 30% of the proof mintage for halves and quarters, and 40% for tenths.

If the 2008 ratios are similar, this would result in a mintage as follows:

1/10 oz., 8000-10000 total
    1/4 oz., 4600-6100
    1/2 oz., 4500-6000 plus unknown mintage in the Double Prosperity set.

If these numbers turn out to be in the ballpark, the 1/4 ounce 2008-W uncirculated gold eagle could be the key (non-error) date of the entire series!

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Yes, however, with no prouction limit that will remain questionable for a while.

Certainly something to keep an eye on.
  • nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Yes, however, with no prouction limit that will remain questionable for a while.

Certainly something to keep an eye on.

It's prudent to wait until at least one item goes dark.
    Dan
  • Hi all,

I just checked the order status of an order for 4 coin plat proof sets entered on 12/11 at 2:13 AM.....

"Item is no longer available"

FloridaBill

• << <i>Hi all,

I just checked the order status of an order for 4 coin plat proof sets entered on 12/11 at 2:13 AM.....

FloridaBill >>

I read on another coin message board that orders for the plat proof sets placed on 12/9 were cancelled as well. I placed an order on 12/8 one hour after they went backordered, and it fortunately was fulfilled.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Overdate -

Nice application of previous trends,

Now apply the same concept to 2008 Unc-W plats and see what you get......
  • 7 over 8 - you wanna buy my 08 unc plats?
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi all,

FloridaBill >>

Same here, my 4-coin plat proof ordered on 12-10 at 1046am is toast. But my 1/2 oz plat proof is on it's way.

Ren(W)
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Plat set ordered 12/8 keeps getting pushed back (now w/delivery expected 1/4) but it has not gotten axed yet....I'm sure that it will eventually be cancelled :-(
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    My order for the 2008 AE PLAT PRF 1/2 OZ shipped 12/19/08. It appears those who are getting the PR Plats s/b seeing them as being shipped.

All of the AGE Unc are still available.
  • I had some 1 and 1/2oz Platinum proofs ordered 12/08/2008 at 12:13 AM that got shipped today.

Looks like kill date is between 12-8 and 12-10-08..........

• << <i>Lets go with this because this is all we have for now.

AGE 4 coin proof set product limit - 35,000 Sold out at approximately 1/3rd of limit.

If the fractionals sell out at the same rate as the 4 coin set, the scenario would look something like this:

AGE dimes single product limit - 30,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 10,000 plus (approx 10 - 15,000 4 coin sets) = 20 - 25,000 total
    AGE quarters single product limit - 16,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 5,334 plus " " " " " " = 15,334 - 20,334 total
    AGE halves single product limit - 15,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 5,000 plus " " " " " " = 15,000 - 20,000 total

The numbers are good enough for me.

Any ideas?

Let's see what this implies for the 2008-W *uncirculated* fractional gold eagle mintage.

In 2007, the unc. "W" mintage was 30% of the proof mintage for halves and quarters, and 40% for tenths.

If the 2008 ratios are similar, this would result in a mintage as follows:

1/10 oz., 8000-10000 total
    1/4 oz., 4600-6100
    1/2 oz., 4500-6000 plus unknown mintage in the Double Prosperity set.

If these numbers turn out to be in the ballpark, the 1/4 ounce 2008-W uncirculated gold eagle could be the key (non-error) date of the entire series! >>

IMO the order of sellouts gives you a rough guide of what to expect in the after market.
    It is all driven by demand and supply.
    The ratio of demand to supply has been very favorable for the Buffs and Plats resulting in quick sellouts.
    For the gold offerings I don't know if demand is less or supply is higher.......it doesn't matter......only the ratio of D/S matters.

I'm not saying the gold eagle offerings don't have potential but I would judge it to be less than for the Buffs and Plats.
    I would also judge the gold proofs to have a better potential than the uncirculated based again on demand to supply.
    We have already seen demand for the gold proofs to outstrip supply in the 1 oz and 4 coin sets.
  • my 2 1/2 oz pr plats shipped yesterday and are sitting in the local fedex in my town. delivery on monday. image

edited to add that my order was on 12/08 at 10:10 pm.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
    Overdate -

There's a difference between looking at prior sales trends to guess at the possible mintage of a series while sales figures are low, and insisting that your guess must have been right in the face of sales figures that suggest otherwise.
    Dan
  • I personally know of (81) Plat 4 pcs PROOF sets that were canceled today. Start reducing those PROOF platinum numbers. This is going to be real interesting. How low can we go?
    "There's no free lunch" MF
  • Order Date: 12/09/2008 at 07:42 PM

My Plat proof sets were axed image

Edited to add, if any one is keeping tabs, 2 sets
    I personally know of (81) Plat 4 pcs PROOF sets that were canceled today. Start reducing those PROOF platinum numbers. This is going to be real interesting. How low can we go?

if orders = sales, yes.
    Dan
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My last Proof Plat order that was just shipped was ordered at 9:13 pm on 12/8. Cutoff date was after that obviously.

Order number: 30630xxx

Order Date: 12/08/2008 at 09:13 PM

Order Status: Your order request has been shipped.

Billed to: ------

Shipped to: -------
    Shipping Method:
    EXPEDITED

Tracking Number(s):
    953214258xxx FEDERAL EXPRESS

Product Name Quantity Price
    (each) Total Item Status Cancel

2008 AE PLAT PRF 1/2 OZ 4 $599.95 $2,399.80 4 units shipped on 12/20/2008

• Sure looks like the 2008 Platinum Proof mintages are going to be way, way below the 2004s.
    The king is dead............long live the new king.
  • spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    To add onto what others are experiencing. I had a Platinum proof set on backorder that was cancelled yesterday. (1)
  • I had 5 prof plat sets axed today by the mint today.

I canceled my order for the proof gold eagles after looking at the price history of the other issues in the series. I just cant afford to keep everything and I dont want to dump the load of buffs and plats.

My order of retention for 2008 is:

A. 2008 proof plat fractionals- any one that dumps these cheap is either in financial trouble or they are a fool unless they are cherry picking and only selling dogs.
    B. 2008 w $50 buffalo gold- these coins are 15 times rarer than the next closest sibling. The 1995 w is only 12 times rare than the next cameo proof in series.
    C. all other buffalo gold except for the unc "w" halves
    D. 2008 "w" silver eagles
    E. 2008 w fractional platinum eagles
    F. 2008 w fractional gold ealges
    G. 2008 proof gold eagle fractionals
    H. Everything else struck on gold silver or platinum dated 2008 proof or "w"

Eric -

On your list, I think you might be stunned when unc-w plats hit the top.....

As for the 2008-w silver eagles (unc) , that one should be at the bottom.

Vic -

You'll be happy you kept them in a few weeks.
    NYC -

Trends hold. Bad sales figures dont. You know the deal. If you are a believer in short strike "king killer" 08-w proof plats, you by default are a believer in "king killer" 08-w unc plats.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is not a true follower of this series. Hold the course. You know historical relationships and what other factors contribute to a short strike in all the offerings.

The 08-w unc plats are no different.

8 weeks and no deliveries of over 1000 single issue qtrs. Where are they? If you are so sure the number is real....where are they? Why havent they been delivered? HUNDREDS have been cancelled but are not reflected on the sales report.

4 weeks and no deliveries of backordered 4 cn sets. Where are they? Where are the 900 sets?

Price performance on a new unc-w king? Think BOX of TWENTY concept - boys. That is what will prevail here. Put your 2008-w $50 Unc Buff, 2008-w unc plats, possibly some 08-w proof plats. Alongside your 95-w ase, maybe even a 2008/2007 reverse eagle.

We discussed collecting by changing Reverse, and still a valid concept, but now numismatic circles have begun to collect Moderns by the Box of Twenty concept,

this changes things........

The once ounce unc gold will probably sell out first like the proof.
    I like that list.image
    Overdate -

Thanks, in the case of plats we already have sold-out status. I believe that when the dust clears, the uncirculated plats will have mintages at the lower end of current estimates. However, the proofs could very well be the short-term winners pricewise even with higher mintages than the unc., because of the more established collector base and the low mintages relative to earlier proof plats.

Bottom line, I think the unc. and proof plats will both be winners. It's not an either/or choice.

• 7over8,

I purchased several 4 coin W platinum unc. sets. I also had 5 on backorder which were cancelled. I put most of my money in these sets and as of right now, I wish I would've put more of the money in the buffalo 4 coin sets. As far as the plat proofs, they will dethrone the 2004 proofs and I think there are more proof collectors than w unc. collectors. Even though the uncirculated platinums will have a lower mintage than the proofs, I think the the platinum proofs will bring more money on the secondary market.

One thing that will change the above is if your theory is correct and the numbers come down drastically for the 08 unc. plats. It is a possibilty since they cancelled scores of backorders. In addition, they were the first coins to sell out so that may also be an indication of their low mintage.

From your mouth to god's ears.........I hope the Plat uncirculated coins are the lowest mintage ever!
    GUINZO1975
    The difference between unc and proof plat is how deep the keys will be. The established proof plat collectors are squeezed while unc aren't.

And so far the 2006 w unc are the kings until further notice. So they aren't going higher but are dropping with the addition of a closer rival perhaps.
  • 7/8

The 2008 w plats are strong and they are on my retention list. Its just not clear to me that a 2250 plat w half is stronger than a 3400 proof plat half....and I can count on the proof plat half numbers. The 2008-w may well be 2250 but I dont know it for a fact so the proof plats are a better bet right now at the same price.

The proof plats have set to drive them too and while thats not everything it sure does help when I model them.

Ericj96
  • Just bought 3 1/4 ounce AGE proofs just for the heck of it.Says in stock and reserved.Hope they back order soon.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where are they? If you are so sure the number is real....where are they? Why havent they been delivered?
    Where are they? Where are the 900 sets?........ >>

image Perhaps someone bought them?
    Interesting fascination, to say the least.image
    NYC -

Trends hold. Bad sales figures dont. You know the deal. If you are a believer in short strike "king killer" 08-w proof plats, you by default are a believer in "king killer" 08-w unc plats.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is not a true follower of this series. Hold the course. You know historical relationships and what other factors contribute to a short strike in all the offerings. The 08-w unc plats are no different.

8 weeks and no deliveries of over 1000 single issue qtrs. Where are they? If you are so sure the number is real....where are they? Why havent they been delivered? HUNDREDS have been cancelled but are not reflected on the sales report.

7over8, I don't know if I should admire your devotion to your theory or be frustrated by your muleheadedness, but you have lost your objectivity; a theory is just a theory until the facts prove otherwise. We look at trends and make projections, "best guesses" based on limited information.

You say "Anyone who thinks otherwise is not a true follower of the series." I think otherwise, and I've followed these coins from the start. I'm holding the course, not out of a slavish devotion to a belief likely to prove wrong, but because these coins should be okay regardless of whether they drop to sub 2006 levels.
    Dan
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My cash management scheme this year was to remain on top of the situation at all times, so as to be ready to pounce if an opportunity became clear.

Thus, I bought early and tried to keep my cash generation ahead of the curve. So, I sent back a couple singles of the 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz "W" Unc Plats, and then I sent back a full set and a couple singles of the 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz Proof Plats in order to roll that money into the next opportunity, if it arose.

I was glad I did that, especially after receiving the multiple sets of Buffs that I ordered. The Buffs are worth it. I never suspected that I was sending back the Proof Kings at the time that I sent them back. Such is life, and the tradeoff was probably a wash, in the end.

I'm still not convinced that the "W" Unc Plats won't be the best of the 2008s, even now. I've been paying attention somewhat to the debate, and it still seems to me that the "W" Unc Plats have some accounting reconciliation that needs to be completed.

I was briefly tempted on the Proof AGEs fractionals, but I've held back. I still can't be convinced that the "W" Unc AGEs won't be a whole lot better. It does look like the fractional Proof AGEs are set to become the Keys, and regardless of the size of the collecting base, it always helps to have a nice, fresh Key to stimulate interest in the series.

All of the fractional AGEs (Proofs and "W" Uncs) are a gamble. The gamble is two-faceted: first, we are gambling that the fractionals were short struck, which seems a strong possibility since the Mint announced a shortened procurement of the blanks, and secondly, we are gambling that they didn't have a pile of them at the time when they announced the planchet shortage.

Finally, there's the 1 oz. "W" Unc. No planchet shortage there. But - look at the current sales data - 6,381. If it was short-struck, there's a great key in the making. The coin has a potential to be the lowest mintage Modern gold 1 oz. piece thus far. Besides that, it's a continuing series.

These are all moot points, since the price of gold will wash out any premiums within a year or two anyway. With the low mintages and disruptions during the past year, it's been a pretty good year for most of the bullion coins, almost by default.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Does anyone happen to know or have a way of posting the last weeks mintages of the Unc. AGE`s and the Proof AGE`s for 2008 issues, Thanks in advance. Chas.
    Charles Crews ** CU Members that I have had Buy/sell deals with alohagary,dabigkahuna,goldman86,fivecents,endzone,clackamas,ericj96,Bochiman,Wingsrule,adriana,claychaser,holeinone1972,itsnotjustme,MJcoin,Kishul,jsego,TWQG,carlwolfort,jmski52,steelielee,grote15

• << <i>I had 5 prof plat sets axed today by the mint today.

I canceled my order for the proof gold eagles after looking at the price history of the other issues in the series. I just cant afford to keep everything and I dont want to dump the load of buffs and plats.

My order of retention for 2008 is:

A. 2008 proof plat fractionals- any one that dumps these cheap is either in financial trouble or they are a fool unless they are cherry picking and only selling dogs.
    B. 2008 w $50 buffalo gold- these coins are 15 times rarer than the next closest sibling. The 1995 w is only 12 times rare than the next cameo proof in series.
    C. all other buffalo gold except for the unc "w" halves
    D. 2008 "w" silver eagles
    E. 2008 w fractional platinum eagles
    F. 2008 w fractional gold ealges
    G. 2008 proof gold eagle fractionals
    H. Everything else struck on gold silver or platinum dated 2008 proof or "w" >>

ericj, what was the date & time that you placed that order for the 5 proof plat sets? I'm trying to figure out if the set that I ordered that is still on backorder status will ship.
    Thanks.
    Let's forget about the one ounce coins for a moment and concentrate on the fractionals.

Now the W fractionals are ended for 5 of the 6 series. So the real question is how would the fractionals rank on potential.

1] The proof plats are the modern low mintage for proof coins period barring major revision. That puts them into the 2006 w unc plat class.

2] and 3] The buffalo fractionals proof and unc are a one year issue for a major coin design that has ten of thousands of potential collectors.

4] The gold unc are probably the lowest mintage of a three year addition to a bullion series that will continue on forever it seems. Chances are these are the keys until it ends.

5] The plat unc are showing higher sales than the established key for that mini series. I can't see numbers going low enough to break that but maybe a miracle happens for some.

Of the five listed the 5] plat w unc are the only ones NOT to be keys excluding fractionals with higher totals due to 8 8 8 prosperity sets.

Of the top 4 the case could be made to own them all. Of course the mint has sold out of all of these except for the gold unc which are the last ones in line it seems.

So the bottom line is 2008 was a major year to be purchasing fractional coins, the mint gave us a Merry Christmas this year.

• << <i>7/8

The 2008 w plats are strong and they are on my retention list. Its just not clear to me that a 2250 plat w half is stronger than a 3400 proof plat half....and I can count on the proof plat half numbers. The 2008-w may well be 2250 but I dont know it for a fact so the proof plats are a better bet right now at the same price.

The proof plats have set to drive them too and while thats not everything it sure does help when I model them.

Ericj96 >>

If you currently are holding both...UNC and Proof...in your hands then it is easy to see that is it like comparing apples to oranges...

If both turn out to be KINGS, then both will still launch to the moon over the long run in terms of value....one will ultimately go higher than the other. 2006 UNC-W's have not topped the 2004 Proofs in pricing....based on the highest price paid for a set of 70's. What does that tell you? image
    Platinum Is Best
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Ericj,

If you don't mind, talk about the silver unc 'w' eagles on your list. From mintages, they don't look that special to me. Then again, I don't follow the series so much. Thoughts? Thanks!

BTW, I like the list. I didn't hit every one, but enough to make me smile. image
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • gits I have a 1000 word study on the "w" silver eagles for the book I am working on. I will send it to you when I get back in town
    Just for a little perspective -

The 2008-W 1/10 oz. uncirculated platinum eagle, with a likely *worst case* mintage 10% less than the Jackie Robinson unc. gold, is currently available on eBay for about $180. I don't see a huge downside risk at these levels.

• << <i>gits I have a 1000 word study on the "w" silver eagles for the book I am working on. I will send it to you when I get back in town >>

eric, send it to me too. i`m interestedimage
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>gits I have a 1000 word study on the "w" silver eagles for the book I am working on. I will send it to you when I get back in town >>

Cool, Eric. I look forward to it. Have a great trip!

BTW, just got a quarter-oz unc 'w' eagle today. It's gorgeous--except for a bunch of gray crap over one section. I'm pretty sure it's not part of the coin, but back it goes since I don't dare popping it out of its capsule. Anyone else have flotsam all over their eagles?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I no longer do much with Silver Eagles, but it's important to note that these coins are closing in on the Morgans for longevity.

1878-1904 + 1921 = 28 years produced

1986-2008 = 23 years produced

Classic guys don't wanna hear it, but they've been around now for awhile, functioning perfectly well as a consistant store of value, just like the Morgans did, maybe even a little better than the Morgans did.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I've seen so far on eBay, the 2008-W Buffs are bringing better premiums, than the 2008-W Plats.

1/2oz. Plat Unc.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file