Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    1 ounce American Eagle proof gold coin now on backorder.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1 ounce American Eagle proof gold coin now on backorder. >>

Wow, I wouldn't have picked these as the first gold eagles to go dark. I wonder if just the people who want bullion are running these out, instead of the flippers/collectors we expected? High mintages on these, too--now at about 24,000. Hey you proof gold collectors--is that a low number? Sure doesn't seem like it.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all the heated discussions the post count has really accelerated. We could catch up to Nanney's thread.

Ren(W)
  • With rise in gold the premium on AGEs continues to shrink.
    If gold cracks $900 I expect all the AGE options to be quick sell outs.
    IMO it is largely a bullion play with limited numismatic potential.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did I miss something...I thought the 2008 AGEs were thought to also be solid additions, from a numismatic point of view...has there been a rethinking in the past week?

<< <i>Did I miss something...I thought the 2008 AGEs were thought to also be solid additions, from a numismatic point of view...has there been a rethinking in the past week? >>

The uncs have crazy good low mintages--so far. The proofs don't look nearly as good to me, but I'm not as familiar what a "good" proof gold mintage is.

• << <i>Did I miss something...I thought the 2008 AGEs were thought to also be solid additions, from a numismatic point of view...has there been a rethinking in the past week? >>

No you didn't miss anything it is just my opinion.
    I don't like to fight the market and despite a low premium of 15-20% over spot these haven't yet sold out so interest in relation to available supplies makes it look like a muted potential.
    All just IMO.................
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2008 W Unc Plats lost weeks ago to the 2006 W Unc Plats.

Coinboy, you don't know that, yet.

High mintages on these, too--now at about 24,000. Hey you proof gold collectors--is that a low number?

Gritsman, that number still qualifies as the second-lowest 1 oz. AGE Proof mintage ever.image Added: third-lowest, I forgot the 2006 "W" RP.

Did I miss something...I thought the 2008 AGEs were thought to also be solid additions, from a numismatic point of view...has there been a rethinking in the past week?

RichR, I like them more than ever. As far as I'm concerned, it's all about the mintages. We don't know where they'll end up, but they must be considered in light of the planchet shortage that was cited by the Mint a few months ago.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<<The uncs have crazy good low mintages--so far. The proofs don't look nearly as good to me, but I'm not as familiar what a "good" proof gold mintage is. >>

Oh...not to fear...since I'm expecting to take delivery of twice as many Unc Eagles as Proofs...that guarantees that the numbers will soon reverse and I'll be left standing on the wrong side of the street...AGAIN!

• << <i>2008-w unc plats at sub 2006-w levels I believe will move very quick in the secondary -

one big reason -

Everyone has been caught offgaurd.......returned their mini hoards, to be redistributed in smaller lots....

.... >>

Redistribution..... Its an OBAMINATION I tellya!!!!! Git yer guns. Big Brother will be coming to get your stuff.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
    2008 W Proof 1oz AGE has gone red.

Has this been reported?

Ren(W)
    <<2008 W Proof 1oz AGE has gone red. >>

PANIC IN THE STREETS!!! Dogs and cats mating!

If this is a "bullion rush," I predict either the Unc. 1 ounce or the 4-coin sets will go next...possibly in the next few hours!
  • Hows this sound.

I bought a 1/2 unc and 1/2 proof platinm on 10/23/08.

They shipped to me but hence received an empty box.

The mint sent certificates and I returned (4) weeks ago.

Yesterday I was told by a rep that my account would be credited and then charged again.

They claim the coins will be SHIPPED!!!! ?????

I was also told coins returned to the mint are NOT repackaged and sent back out again. They are melted?

I asked if I will be charged the original higher price I paid or the lowered price since then?

They said the higher price. I bit my lip. Shouldn't I be charged the lowered price?

Either way I have had $1,200 on my cc for 2 months.

I did buy another 1/2 unc platinum at the lower price.

Thoughts please..............
    Ships are safe in harbor but thats not what ships were built for.
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    You either have to bite the bullet and keep them or return for credit.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Due to the interest rate cuts and Gold creeping up....due to the possible very low mintage of the American Gold Eagles....due to Gold now running past platinum spot price....due to a 30 day return window at the mint...I just bought a few 2008-W 1 ounce AGE's as strictly an investment. I do not collect Gold coins even though I have a couple buffalo's. If you have the cash to set aside for 30 days I would scarf up a few of those one ounce AGE coins for investment purposes....image
    Platinum Is Best
  • nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Hows this sound.

I bought a 1/2 unc and 1/2 proof platinm on 10/23/08. They shipped to me but hence received an empty box. The mint sent certificates and I returned (4) weeks ago. Yesterday I was told by a rep that my account would be credited and then charged again. They claim the coins will be SHIPPED!!!! ?????

I was also told coins returned to the mint are NOT repackaged and sent back out again. They are melted?

I asked if I will be charged the original higher price I paid or the lowered price since then? They said the higher price. I bit my lip. Shouldn't I be charged the lowered price?

Either way I have had $1,200 on my cc for 2 months.I did buy another 1/2 unc platinum at the lower price.

I'm not sure where the replacements will come from; maybe someone else's returns? or maybe they set them aside for you when notified of the shipping problem? Either way, if you get the coins, I think you're stuck with the higher price. That's what you purchased at, and you're basically in the same boat as the rest of us. You should still be able to return within 30 days of receipt for a refund if you want, knowing none exist at the lower price.

In terms of returns being melted; it's my understanding that the policy is that returns marked as "damaged" are melted, though who knows what really happens... they might melt them all. or none.

Looking back, I guess you would have been better off disputing the charge with the credit card (avoiding finance charges), canceling the order and buying replacement coins on ebay with the live.com rebate offer -- you'd have your coins in hand right now at a better price.
    Dan
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    It seems to me when you buy bullion you are setting the price you are willing to pay and that is that.

Also, If it is true that all returned coins are melted, then the sales numbers will definitely be dropping through the floor at some point.

But you can almost never believe what some mint employee tells you, the next guy you ask will give you a different answer
    Due to the interest rate cuts and Gold creeping up....due to the possible very low mintage of the American Gold Eagles....due to Gold now running past platinum spot price....due to a 30 day return window at the mint...I just bought a few 2008-W 1 ounce AGE's as strictly an investment. I do not collect Gold coins even though I have a couple buffalo's. If you have the cash to set aside for 30 days I would scarf up a few of those one ounce AGE coins for investment

I'm going to sit this one out. From a bullion perspective, the 1 ounce coin is $975/oz, cheaper per ounce than the 4 coin set at $1006/oz. If you buy gold from the Mint at $1000 an ounce, accounting for transaction costs, you'll need to sell for about $1100 an ounce to hit breakeven. Gold might get there, but it needs to go up another 25% or so from current spot to do so.

The real upside potential on these, like most stuff we talk about, is probably numismatic rather than bullion-related; from that perspective, the 4 coin sets are probably worth the extra $30, as it gives you 4 chances at lower mintage coins with numismatic upside.

Dan
    But you can almost never believe what some mint employee tells you, the next guy you ask will give you a different answer

Dan
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

My thoughts are you're lucky because my order from the same day had the a problem, but I do not have resolution yet. Paid for a 1/2 oz plat proof and they shipped a 1/10 AGE. (Customer Service couldn't figure out what the problem was image )

Geez, I hope my situation turns out as well as yours.
  • Thanks for input.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 ounce American Eagle proof gold coin now on backorder.

Do the proof fractional Gold Eagles go off sale on Dec. 31, even if they're not sold out? I think this used to be the case.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Who are the kings among the AGE'S (UNCS.), and does anyone think the 2008's will be new kings?
    Who are the kings among the AGE'S (UNCS.), and does anyone think the 2008's will be new kings?

The 2007 "W" Unc fractionals appear to have the lowest mintages to date, along with the 2001 "W" Proof 1 ozer.

I would say that much depends upon how these are collected, whether as a complete series, by proofs only, by uncs only, and whether the "W" Uncs are considered as part of the uncs grouping.

For myself, they all fall into one big happy family, so the 2008-W Uncs look very promising, to me.

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>Who are the kings among the AGE'S (UNCS.), and does anyone think the 2008's will be new kings? >>

Their sales would have to increase DRAMATICALLY for them NOT to be the new kings on a mintage basis. Like jmski, however, I believe the w-uncs will be considered to be part of the uncirculated bullion set. As such, I think the '08-ws will compete with 1991 for true Royalty status, because even though the mintage was a lot higher in '91, few seemed to have survived in good shape--at least for the 1/2 ouncers.
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    q]Due to the interest rate cuts and Gold creeping up....due to the possible very low mintage of the American Gold Eagles....due to Gold now running past platinum spot price....due to a 30 day return window at the mint...I just bought a few 2008-W 1 ounce AGE's as strictly an investment. I do not collect Gold coins even though I have a couple buffalo's. If you have the cash to set aside for 30 days I would scarf up a few of those one ounce AGE coins for investment

I'm going to sit this one out. From a bullion perspective, the 1 ounce coin is $975/oz, cheaper per ounce than the 4 coin set at $1006/oz. If you buy gold from the Mint at $1000 an ounce, accounting for transaction costs, you'll need to sell for about $1100 an ounce to hit breakeven. Gold might get there, but it needs to go up another 25% or so from current spot to do so.

The real upside potential on these, like most stuff we talk about, is probably numismatic rather than bullion-related; from that perspective, the 4 coin sets are probably worth the extra $30, as it gives you 4 chances at lower mintage coins with numismatic upside. >>

With due respect to NYCounsel's opinions that I read and respect, I wanted to offer a different perspective on the buying of the AGE 1oz proof at this time:
    o There is quite a buzz on the PM Forum among gold bugs about trying to break the COMEX Gold Bank. They don't believe the COMEX can deliver on the Dec Gold contracts.
    o The rise in the price of Gold closes the gap on Spot Gold and the Price of the AGE 1oz proof.
    o Buying the AGE 1oz proof has few downsides
    oo You have a 30 day put option (Can return the coins to the US Mint within 30 days at low cost of $4.95 US Mint shipping plus your return shipping cost of $25)
    oo The AGE 1oz proof has some "numismatic" value due to the probable short-strike of all PM coins this year by the US Mint

I am not recommending this approach but can understand why some may view this as a good "speculation". Check the PM forum for more discussion on this.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is interesting....

A very large CLASSIC coin dealer just bought a set of 2006-W PCGS-MS70FS (Burnished) Platinum I had been trying to sell for about a month! image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    A very large CLASSIC coin dealer just bought a set of 2006-W PCGS-MS70FS (Burnished) Platinum I had been trying to sell for about a month!

Did she say whether she was going to get it stickered before offering it for sale?image

I knew it would happen.
  • Wow....this is real biblical end of the world type info.
    Dogs sleeping with cats, classical collectors buyings moderns.......what could be next?

• maybe no more gold coins to be sold by the mint???????????

• << <i>This is interesting....

A very large CLASSIC coin dealer just bought a set of 2006-W PCGS-MS70FS (Burnished) Platinum I had been trying to sell for about a month! image

Wondercoin >>

That is interesting....in time, more will be onboard with the opportunity potential. I said it in another thread that the best thing that happened to the collectibility of the platinum proof and unc-W fractionals is the mint discontinuing the program. There will be demand for these low mintage issues in the future.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i> 1 ounce American Eagle proof gold coin now on backorder.

Do the proof fractional Gold Eagles go off sale on Dec. 31, even if they're not sold out? I think this used to be the case. >>

I wondered the same thing yesterday & went back & found nyc's thread concerning the mint's discontinuance disclosure and, after re-reading several "entertaining" pagesimage, found the links that read that all the 2008 products will remain, if they last, for sale till June... then off to the melting pot.image
    This is interesting....

A very large CLASSIC coin dealer just bought a set of 2006-W PCGS-MS70FS (Burnished) Platinum I had been trying to sell for about a month!

Wondercoin

The numismatic equivalent of Vatican II.

Dan
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is interesting....

Wondercoin >>

That is interesting....in time, more will be onboard with the opportunity potential. I said it in another thread that the best thing that happened to the collectibility of the platinum proof and unc-W fractionals is the mint discontinuing the program. There will be demand for these low mintage issues in the future. >>

I just can't believe how low the 06 w plat uncs are selling for. I noted a PGCS $50 MS70FS (llive auction sale) sold for $800 on Ebay and some did not sell at the $1350 mark! It is likely that this coin will be THE KING of plats mintage wise. Just unreal. If this issue with such incredibly low mintages is doing so poorly, what does this portend for the 08s?

Looking at the prices realized and NOT realized for AGE 20th anniv. sets as well has me rethinking all of the $ I have in the 2008 stuff as well as how long to hold it. With few exceptions, very few, the supposed can't loose moderns such as the 06 w's have gotten a lot worse over the past two years.

Hold or sell?? You'd think that the plat proofs were a no-brainer, yet they are not selling as I thought that they would since the #s came out yesterday, esp. given that they will likely unseat the 04s and look what they bring. I hope the Buffs do well over time as I indend to hold some long term. Imagine the frenzy if this was the 06 economy! Sorry for the ramble, hard to know what to make of all of this as well as the long term potential of the 08s.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

• << <i>Due to the interest rate cuts and Gold creeping up....due to the possible very low mintage of the American Gold Eagles....due to Gold now running past platinum spot price....due to a 30 day return window at the mint...I just bought a few 2008-W 1 ounce AGE's as strictly an investment. I do not collect Gold coins even though I have a couple buffalo's. If you have the cash to set aside for 30 days I would scarf up a few of those one ounce AGE coins for investment

The real upside potential on these, like most stuff we talk about, is probably numismatic rather than bullion-related; from that perspective, the 4 coin sets are probably worth the extra $30, as it gives you 4 chances at lower mintage coins with numismatic upside. >>

I listed several reasons why I bought the coins....I would NEVER buy these coins just for bullion trading. I could get bullion coins for close to $928 a coin if i wanted. It is for the several reasons referenced above that i purchased the coins. Bullion trading is my specialty which made it so I never have to work again...BUT...I am a workaholic so that will never happen.image
    Platinum Is Best
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    The sales of the 2008 gold eagle proof and unc don't really matter at this point as they are going to sell out eventually. It is all about how many were minted.

Next year I expect many will be wanting to buy 2009 gold fractionals and as we know there won't be any except for the proof or the dealer bullion.

The proof eagle gold sales are generally very high though so that is why they kept them as part of their future releases.

Also from the numbers I have the 2008 gold eagle one ounce proof is not the new king as it surpassed the 2001 in sales. So not all 2008 gold and platinum coins will apparently be kings.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait.... now even more scary...

They just asked me if I had MORE PCGS-MS70 06-W Platinum coins to sell to them. Hey - NYCounsel - let me know if you want me offer them your hoard!! image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Dan
    .image
  • <<<<<< "Hold or sell?? You'd think that the plat proofs were a no-brainer, yet they are not selling as I thought that they would since the #s came out yesterday, esp. given that they will likely unseat the 04s and look what they bring.">>>>>>>>>>

Yeah.................what a bummer.
    Almost a full 24 hours and no pop in price.
    So much for the buy and hold theory.
    Yeah.................what a bummer.

it's only natural to hope for/expect some secondary market response when a coin sells out with low numbers.
    Dan

<< <i>2008 W Proof 1oz AGE has gone red.

Has this been reported?

Ren(W) >>

That was quick, "product is not available."

Ren(W)

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah.................what a bummer.

it's only natural to hope for/expect some secondary market response when a coin sells out with low numbers. >>

Exactly! There was a very fast, < 24 hr. bump with the 20th anniv. AGEs, as well as I believe with 06 W plats, etc. I certainly expected one with the APE Proofs given that they appear to have come in safely under the 04s.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • POP? Who wants to sell me sealed PLAT PF set for $2500? I know it's too cheap, but... Who wants to sell? POP!
    "There's no free lunch" MF
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Hundreds and Hundreds and Hundreds of cancellations of plat unc-w's

and yet

THE SALES REPORT STILL DOESNT REFLECT THEM......

hundreds if not a 1000 orders taken after backorder for the 1/4 uncs and 4 coins sets,

and yet

NO ONE RECEIVES ANY SUBSTANTIAL SHIPMENTS ON ANY OF THESE ORDERS FOR 7 WEEKS!!!!!

If all those coins were produced and sold.......

WHERE ARE THEY?
  • 7/8 asks... Where are the 08W Plat UNCS? If he starts offering 50% over issue the coins will find him. Right? If not, he may be on to something...
    "There's no free lunch" MF
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    BacknBlack -

We would find the 1100 qtrs and possibly the 1250 sets, but what about the extra 700 1/4's and 900 sets that havent been delivered?

Can the USM find those please?

It's been 7 weeks and they're still looking for it.........
  • It's been 7 weeks and they're still looking for it.........

You are "Waiting for Godot"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file