Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>Take everything you read here with a grain of salt. The same thing was said about the Jefferson First Spouse coins.

That's certainly good advice.

For instance, a comment comparing the Buffalos to the Jefferson First Spouse coins should be taken with a grain of salt. >>

Some of the same people touting today's coins are the same ones that backed up the truck for the Jeffersons
    and we all know how that turned out. Do a little research in the archives.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Some of the same people touting today's coins are the same ones that backed up the truck for the Jeffersons
    and we all know how that turned out. Do a little research in the archives.

Certainly true. People get enthusiastic about a lot of things, some are hits, some are misses.

I expect the buffalo coins will be hits, but I could be wrong. I never believed in the Jefferson First Spouse golds, but I could be wrong about those too.
    Dan
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for the insight. I've been steadily putting funds into the 2008 proof plats for the last 6 months. IMO, they are a can't miss investment if you are willing to hold for a couple of years. I think the downside is shallow and short term. The upside--unlimited potential. I also see potential in the unc-w's, but it isn't as evident to me. As far as buffs and AGEs, I see a definite 1-2 year pop from PM prices, but I think you'd derive the same benefit (maybe better) from bullion--I obviously need to do more due diligence!

Thanks Again, I really enjoy this thread.
  • For those keeping track... PLAT Sales reduction Alert: I know of the following: (180) One ounce 2008W UNC plats that were backordered (multiple orders) as of yesterday were officially cancelled today. The Mint also canceled (90) 1/4 ounce PRFS on another order. Anyone else lose any today?
    "There's no free lunch" MF
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a comment comparing the Buffalos to the Jefferson First Spouse coins should be taken with a grain of salt.

People get enthusiastic about a lot of things, some are hits, some are misses.

I expect the buffalo coins will be hits, but I could be wrong. I never believed in the Jefferson First Spouse golds, but I could be wrong about those too.

I am 100% in agreement with nycounsel today.image

If I had to choose between the Gold Buffs, Proof Plats or "W" Unc Plats today, I'd go back and review what Eric said. As far as I'm concerned, he's been on target.

The thing that sticks in my head was the "W" Unc Plats. Eric, how would you rank the prospects of each of the 2008 bullion series? Throw the "W" Unc AGEs into the mix. How do you see it today?

I would have a very tough time right now picking the ultimate winner over all others.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Order Status: Your order request is in process.

2008 AE PLAT PRF 1/2 OZ 2 $599.95 $1,199.90 In stock and reserved - No cancel box

Kinda looks like the orders are shipping and what aren't shipping, are being cancelled.

This just changed within the last hour.

• coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    My prediction on the coins from 2008 that will have the highest demand vs supply ratio.

#1) 1oz Unc Buff

#2) 1oz Proof Buff

#3) 1oz Proof Plat

#4) all Proof Buff fractionals and 1/4 unc Buff

#5) 1 oz Unc Plat

• << <i>a comment comparing the Buffalos to the Jefferson First Spouse coins should be taken with a grain of salt.

People get enthusiastic about a lot of things, some are hits, some are misses.

I am 100% in agreement with nycounsel today.image

If I had to choose between the Gold Buffs, Proof Plats or "W" Unc Plats today, I'd go back and review what Eric said. As far as I'm concerned, he's been on target.

The thing that sticks in my head was the "W" Unc Plats. Eric, how would you rank the prospects of each of the 2008 bullion series? Throw the "W" Unc AGEs into the mix. How do you see it today?

I would have a very tough time right now picking the ultimate winner over all others. >>

ASK ME AGAIN TOMORROW AFTER THE WEEKLY SALES REPORT IS POSTED!

Ericj96

My prediction on the coins from 2008 that will have the highest demand vs supply ratio.

#1) 1oz Unc Buff

#2) 1oz Proof Buff

#3) 1oz Proof Plat

#4) all Proof Buff fractionals and 1/4 unc Buff

#5) 1 oz Unc Plat

These are so hard to call...

I think it's a safe bet that the buffalo golds will outperform the platinums, since the pool of collectors is likely to be much higher. Whether the proofs or uncirculateds ultimately win is anyone's guess. My personal preference is for the uncirculateds, but I think most collectors prefer proofs and the mintage difference between the two is small enough as not to be outcome determinative.

Since the platinum proofs are likely to knock 2004 plats off the throne -- and since the 2006-w uncirculateds have been doing poorly despite their ultra-low mintage (performace which I think is unrelated to the 2008 numbers, which for now at least are substantially higher), I'd expect if any of the platinums will be short run winners, it would be the proofs.

There are still so many potential winners out there. The AGEs... even some of those First Spouse golds start looking good if there's any chance sales close under 5,000.

Dan
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much of a premium on this 4pc. Plat Unc set....Mint price $2089.95

eBay Link
    Not much of a premium on this 4pc. Plat Unc set....Mint price $2089.95

there's no secondary market right now.
    Dan
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    NYC -

I'm with you on the 1 oz unc-w buff, rec'd my allotment today........just a good deal under $1k, especially with the premiums on 1 oz gold coins riding high $80-$100/oz and gold at $800-$825, there's not much downside risk.....

After the 1 oz unc-w buffalo, I tend to like the 1/4 oz unc-w buffalo (as long as numbers dont go too high), then the unc-w plats minus the 1 oz coin, and throw in the 1/4 oz proof plat the round out the lot.

On the plats, it's hard to rank them, the collectors representing the demand side on the proofs already have coins for their collections, and any other demand for plats will drive towards the lowest mintage for the money - which I tend to think will be the unc-w's this year.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Not much of a premium on this 4pc. Plat Unc set....Mint price $2089.95"

Actually, not a bad level for a seller with a low rating who has not sold a single item on ebay in about 14 months.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7/8, I have to be in agreement with most of all you said.

It would be fools money to bet against the Buffs (over plats.)

And I love the plats. Especially the three year series.

I'm not sure about the upcoming Constitution series starting with the More Perfect Union (without me.)

Ren(W)image
    the Buff design is just soooo popular.

if the numbers stay low, these should always retain value....the only thing to inhibit their valuation is if gold falls off a cliff,

not very likely in my opinion.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7 over 8, have you changed camps?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>7 over 8, have you changed camps? >>

I don't know, but he's sounding alot better!image
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not worth the efort IMHO....this guy jumped the gun.

eBay Link
  • OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Sad thing about it is that he may have missed it by only one day.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Not worth the efort IMHO....this guy jumped the gun.>>

Who sells a coin for $666.66...!!!

Who was the buyer...Damian Thorne?!?

Guys-

No worrying about me, I still love the unc-w plats,

they will be sub 06w and pure winners....

but you need to diversify a little......
    When can we expect the "sales" report to be posted tomorrow, and any predictions?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

I think we will see changes in the Proof plats with little change in all other areas.
    I'm sure that the proofs will raise substantially, but after all of this time the unc. (particularly the 4 coin sets) must be on the way down. I am not sharing the belief that the proofs were struck less than the uncs. They never are.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

Yes the uncs will drop (especially the 4-coin set absurdity) but I think the mint has put these on the back burner and will concern themselves with only the Proofs for now. Just my guess.
    Who knows what the mint is doing with regards to correcting it's problem numbers for the 2008 unc-w's,

I predict further drops in the 1/4 and i expect to see drops in the tenths,

The set must come down too, the question is when......
  • Last Tuesday at 7:26 AM Eric J posted the sales numbers already...hmmmm...he must have slept in today....image

Actually as I am looking at the time on the East Coast I realized he posted it at 10:26 AM PST....oh well...I am going back to bed. image
    Platinum Is Best
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<Not worth the efort IMHO....this guy jumped the gun.>>

Who was the buyer...Damian Thorne?!? >>

I assume that the seller decided to sell on ebay at just enought to recoup his cost taking into account paypal, posting, final value fees, etc. as opposed to simply returning the coin to the Mint. I do this as well. At least with Ebay you get paid immediately whereas the Mint takes a month to actually credit the $ back to your card.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Last Tuesday at 7:26 AM Eric J posted the sales numbers already...hmmmm...he must have slept in today....image

Actually as I am looking at the time on the East Coast I realized he posted it at 10:26 AM PST....oh well...I am going back to bed. image >>

He is probably buying up everything that is on the right side of the numbers before he posts, he ain't no dummyimage
    And I ain't lying this time.

<< <i>

<< <i><<Not worth the efort IMHO....this guy jumped the gun.>>

Who was the buyer...Damian Thorne?!? >>

I assume that the seller decided to sell on ebay at just enought to recoup his cost taking into account paypal, posting, final value fees, etc. as opposed to simply returning the coin to the Mint. I do this as well. At least with Ebay you get paid immediately whereas the Mint takes a month to actually credit the $ back to your card. >>

A month from the time they acknowledge receving the package, that costs $25 to ship.
    Last Tuesday at 7:26 AM Eric J posted the sales numbers already...hmmmm...he must have slept in today....

Actually as I am looking at the time on the East Coast I realized he posted it at 10:26 AM PST....oh well...I am going back to bed.

The numbers are probably taking longer today because the Mint has to reduce them by thousands and thousands of coins... that takes time.
    Dan
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    The numbers may not come out until tomorrow as Santa is still minting more unc w plats.image
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<The numbers are probably taking longer today because the Mint has to reduce them by thousands and thousands of coins... that takes time.>>

Yeah...and Mint staff counting on their fingers and toes takes a little longer!
  • SALES REPORT AS OF 12/16/2008

1OZ
    .5 OZ
    .25 OZ
    .1 OZ
    4 SETS

PROOF PLATINUM EAGLES

THOSE COINS ARE GOING TO BE KILLERS!

UNC-W PLATINUM EAGLES

PROOF BUFFS

UNC-W BUFFS

THE UNCS ARE GOING TO BE KILLERS...LOOK AT THE $50 COIN! I CANT BELIEVE THE COIN IN SINGLE ISSUE DID NOT SPIKE!

ASE
    430556+ 37831

UNC-W GOLD EAGLES

GUYS ALL I CAN SAY IS THIS REPORT IS SOMETHING OUT OF A DREAM. IT LOOKS LIKE THE NUMBERS ARE HOLDING AND THEY MAY START FALLING AS THE BOOKS ARE CORRECTED FOR CANCELLATIONS.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only question I have is on the $25 Unc Buff numbers: Has anyone been able to reconcile or determine whether or not the reported sales numbers include the Double Prosperity set? It looks to me like they are not included in the total but rather they are broken out separately. It would help to have some clarification.

Other than that, awesome numbers to say the least. Makes me happy that I scraped together a few nickels to purchase some of these guys. I really like the Unc Buff 4 coin set. It is staying in its mint issued leather corral forever!

<< <i>SALES REPORT AS OF 12/16/2008

"GUYS ALL I CAN SAY IS THIS REPORT IS SOMETHING OUT OF A DREAM."

More like a nightmare for those of us holding unc plats. 4 coin sets do not change, even though probably hundreds of orders were cancelled over the last 2 weeks. Man, you really have to have the stomach to wait this out. With these inflated numbers, there's no wonder they are selling for issue price on ebay. I wish I had the money to buy them all, as I REALLY believe in these coins longterm. If and when the mintage gets adjusted, you just might see double your profits.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

Thank-you, Eric.

I knew it would happen.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Proof Plats blew away the 04's! Very impressive! Thanks for posting!
    The proof plats are drastically low mintage, coming in almost like the 2007 w unc. They should be the kings, the strong kings, that we hoped they would.

It is also amazing those made it down to Jackie Robinson unc and below territory. Imagine a modern proof at such a low mintage, it has nowhere to go but up from here.

The unc w plats though seem to be settled at those same numbers so it may be time to stick a fork in those for now. It may be a L-O-N-G wait to see numbers change.

So overall I am very happy with these numbers. image

PS The buffaloes are also incredible numbers, especially for modern gold.
  • Yes the proof plats look real great,I'm glad a bought a bunch of $50 plat proofs.Alot of my buffalo uncs. got the axe on backorders.I do still have 6 $50 unc buffalos on backorder.Has any one got there backorder changed to instock on these?if so what time was it.Thanks alot eric for #s,put a smile on my face today.
  • Any numbers for the 2008 w AGE's ?
  • NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    WOW!!! What a finish for the Platinum Proof denominational series. INCREDIBLE!!!
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Any figures on the AGE?
  • Thanks Eric.
    Now all we have to do is sweat it out while they start shipping the proof plats. I had an order after the proof plats that has shipped and the buffalo and proof plats ordered much earlier are in stock but not shipped yet.image

Hopefully they ship those new kings ASAP.
  • Locked and loaded.........

I've got 1 oz and 1/2 oz. Proof APEs sitting 'in stock and reserved' with no cancel box.

I can cover them on credit card with 40% of allowable credit line.

Should be my best US MINT purchase ever.
    We Three Kings??

Anything yet on the AGEs?

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

I knew it would happen.
  • 2 kings and a possible joker?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji