Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Prosperity Set that I ordered on 12-08 which showed "backorder" just went to "in stock and reserved" this AM.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, the "sale" put a big wrinkle in estimating the "W" mintage.
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    I think 20-30% of the orders on the plats were returned, if they were all destoyed that would make thy mintages ridiculously low.
    I don't think there was anyway they destroyed all of the returns that were not marked as damaged, that seems ludicrous, but regardless, I think it's clear the current mint sales #s WILL HAVE to come down.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there was anyway they destroyed all of the returns that were not marked as damaged,

I agree with you, but I do think that they destroyed the ones that were marked as damaged, and I also think that most of the coins being returned were marked as damaged. I made the mistake of not doing that.

As a result, someone will be receiving coins with die ejection rim damage and with shiny "flat" frost breaks due to die wear right on the focal points of Liberty's face.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    For those keeping track, you can add 4 more platinum proof sets to the count of returns.

I ordered 2 in late October at $2420, and ordered 2 more after the repricing to $2180, figuring I'd keep the best 2 sets and return the other 2 and save $480. When the additional 2 sets arrived, I opened all 4 sets and found problems across the board, and ended up returning the entire lot. I marked the return as damaged; it's my understanding that this results in destruction of the coins.

I had the same experience as others-- the powers that be at the Mint failed to consider or care that the repricing without a reimbursement would create big incentives for volume buyers to return acceptable sets -- I considered returning my larger order of unc-w sets, but decided against it. The idea that they wouldn't even accomodate a volume buyer like Wondercoin is ludicrous.

The consequences of the failure to anticipate the impact of the repricing is shameful even for a government agency. A waste of postage both ways. A waste of employee time to process returns and replacement orders. A big waste considering the loss of the returned sets... the striking costs to create them, and tje conversion of (for the sets at least) 1.85 ounces of platinum that could have sold for $2180 ($1178/oz) to scrap at $850/oz.

p.s. a sincere thanks for the kind words image
    Dan
    I wonder how many would have bought if they had never been repriced, when the sales figures were still well under 1,000 for all of the 2008-W Plats, both proof and unc..........

Now, THAT would have been a speculation!

I knew it would happen.
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Nm stats 12/11
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nm stats 12/11
    image >>

I guess this means that 1oz Proof plat is 4728 or less and the 1/2oz is 3352 or less?imageimageimage
    4-coin proof plat is finally toast...not available.

• << <i>I wonder how many would have bought if they had never been repriced, when the sales figures were still well under 1,000 for all of the 2008-W Plats, both proof and unc..........

Now, THAT would have been a speculation! >>

When everyone was focused on the uncs. I was buying proofs. The numbers were so low I could not resist. It was either that or put it in the bank at 2%.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, the Plat Unc numbers will likely be revised downward, while the Proof numbers likely don't reflect the sales orgy from earlier this week! So the jury is still out.

But at the end of the day...I'm wiling to guess that many of the Uncs and Proofs options will end up being record lows. And that goes for this year's gold coins also.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When everyone was focused on the uncs. I was buying proofs. The numbers were so low I could not resist. It was either that or put it in the bank at 2%. >>

I'm with you VicThrust! I bought 11 of the $10 APEs in PR70DCAM First Strike a few months ago. I like the smaller fractionals because they aren't as vulnerable to the swings in Pt price and are more affordable.

<< <i>Of course, the Plat Unc numbers will likely be revised downward, while the Proof numbers likely don't reflect the sales orgy from earlier this week!

So the jury is still out. >>

You make it sound like the mint really doesnt know how many coins it has or how many coins it has sold. I tend to believe you but it is kind

of scary considering the cost of a single coin.
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    In checking the US Mint website, I noticed that although the Buffalo gold, Plat Unc and Plat Proof are not available, not all coins/sets show in the "Not Available" section of the website. Hopefully, this is just house-keeping to be done.

I can't remember very many instances where a coin appeared in the "Not Available" list and then became available later.

Does anyone else have any information on this?

<< <i>In checking the US Mint website, I noticed that although the Buffalo gold, Plat Unc and Plat Proof are not available, not all coins/sets show in the "Not Available" section of the website. Hopefully, this is just house-keeping to be done.

I can't remember very many instances where a coin appeared in the "Not Available" list and then became available later.

Does anyone else have any information on this? >>

House-keeping seems to be pretty lax at the Mint.

• << <i>In checking the US Mint website, I noticed that although the Buffalo gold, Plat Unc and Plat Proof are not available, not all coins/sets show in the "Not Available" section of the website. Hopefully, this is just house-keeping to be done.

Does anyone else have any information on this? >>

It usually takes the mint about a week or more to update the "Not Available" list.
    <<You make it sound like the mint really doesnt know how many coins it has or how many coins it has sold. I tend to believe you but it is kind of scary considering the cost of a single coin. >>

Well...they obviously know how many they originally struck, but between all the sales, returns and cancellations, not to mention the newest wild card category "destroyed due to damage," I just don't think the dust has really started to settle yet in regards to final numbers.

Now I'm assuming that the Mint will ultimately release adjusted final mintages...and by that I mean the original mintage minus any coins returned and destroyed for whatever reason? And not just original mintages?
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    The Mint doesn't have any more plats to sell and has no more blanks to make more plats. A few months ago, they said that they were using the rest of their blanks to make bullion coins. The Mint had an unexpected demand for bullion (3X last year--look at my chart). They also had an inability to get more blanks from their suppliers, crazy rise and fall of Pt prices, etc, etc, etc...and here we are. The perfect storm and a banner year for Platinum American Eagle collectors and speculators!image

• << <i>

<< <i>I wonder how many would have bought if they had never been repriced, when the sales figures were still well under 1,000 for all of the 2008-W Plats, both proof and unc..........

Now, THAT would have been a speculation! >>

When everyone was focused on the uncs. I was buying proofs. The numbers were so low I could not resist. It was either that or put it in the bank at 2%. >>

Smart move

• sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    Gold and Platinum prices to intersect soon?
    Au=830$US and Pt=840$US as of 12:56 pm NYT
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    I wondered how a old platinum coin looks and found this us pattern struck in platinum.
  • Um, maybe I should move this question to the "Stupid Numismatic questions" thread, but:

The Sliver $1 Unc's seem a bit low...anyone buying? They're 300k less than the Proofs, and those are double or more issue on the bay...
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!

• << <i>Um, maybe I should move this question to the "Stupid Numismatic questions" thread, but:

The Sliver $1 Unc's seem a bit low...anyone buying? They're 300k less than the Proofs, and those are double or more issue on the bay... >>

Oh, dang...forgot about the $1 Unc sets...guess those will pump up the numbers. And I guess I've confirmed it was a stupid question...
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
    When will the AGE's start to show some red?!?!?!?!?!image

<<When will the AGE's start to show some red?!?!?!?!?!>>

Well I just blew out my wife's Visa card for more AGEs yesterday...so it had better be soon!!!
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    They probably cranked out 10-12K originally and will not sell out until those numbers are sold-like the buffs.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, those 2008 W AGE Unc. #s are LOW
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

• << <i>Wow, those 2008 W AGE Unc. #s are LOW >>

I just looked over the 2 sets I just got, and they look sweet.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    2008 is just an embarrassment of riches all the way around. The gold unc eagles are destined to be one of the keys for the entire series. Unlike the plat uncs and proofs, these fit in nicely with the bullion gold eagle series. Get 'em while you can!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
    I officially announce, "Let the AGE games...BEGIN!"
  • Oh God! I wish I can buy more, but I pretty much shot my wad on the Buffs! Hehehe.
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    So, what are the mintage limits on the AGE UNC & PR anyway?
  • The following was taken from http://mintnewsblog.blogspot.com/

Better watch the numbers carefully...I am going to return my extras to the mint if the numbers are above 2004 and 2005 next week...I can tell there are many virgins in this forum who have not been screwed by the mint so be careful and read everything you can and watch the numbers before the 30 days runs out!

Thursday, December 11, 2008
    2008-W Uncirculated & Proof Platinum Eagle Sales Figures

This morning the last of the US Mint's 2008 platinum products sold out. The only platinum product which remains available for sale is the 2007 10th Anniversary Platinum Eagle Set.

As it stands, all 2008-W Uncirculated Platinum Eagles are gone, including the 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/10 oz individual options and the 4 Coin Set. All 2008 Proof Platinum Eagles are gone, also including the 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/10 oz individual options and the 4 Coin Set.

The official sell outs for these products mark a somewhat bittersweet ending. In November the US Mint announced a large number of product discontinuations for 2009, which included the majority of the collectible Platinum Eagle offerings. The only platinum coin that will return next year is the One Ounce Proof Platinum Eagle.

Over at Numismaster, the latest Mint Stats through December 7th have been posted. The sales figures for all platinum coins are included below. The first column shows the individual totals per product type. The second column shows the cumulative totals per coin (individual sales plus 4 coin set sales).

2008-W Uncirculated Platinum Eagle Sales Figures
    1 oz 1,951 4,109
    1/2 oz 1,257 3,415
    1/4 oz 1,778 3,936
    1/10 oz 2,485 4,643
    4 Coin 2,158

2008 Proof Platinum Eagle Sales Figures
    1 oz 2,432 4,728
    1/2 oz 1,056 3,352
    1/4 oz 1,293 3,589
    1/10 oz 2,810 5,106
    4 Coin 2,296

For the uncirculated coins, the sales number increased for the 1 ounce coin and decreased for the 1/4 ounce coin. The last time I looked at these sales figures, I ran comparisons to the prior 2006 & 2007-W Platinum Eagle mintages. Low numbers for 2008 are now the 1/2 ounce coin and 1/10 ounce coin, which are lower than 2007 numbers, but still above 2006.

On the proof side, the numbers will continue to grow since they only report sales through December 7th. It appears that a big rush of buying may have taken place early this week, which might have a big impact. The current numbers are still comfortably below the 2007 Proof Platinum Eagle mintages. However, we will have to revisit this next week when new numbers for 2008 become available.
    Platinum Is Best
    Platinum and gold crossed paths today, around $825. Gold bid/ask right now is $825/826. Platinum is $821/831.

Dan
  • My 1/2 ounce gold proof buff that i ordered on 12/6 went to in stock and reserved with cancel box gone today.image
    How will the plat UNC w get listed in redbook, alone or lumped with the bullion coins?

I received a 2009 redbook today.

The uncirculated-w platinums are NOT distinguished in any meaningful way; they are just listed as "burnished."

If your only source of information was the Redbook, you would think that the only difference was the burnished finish and the "w" mintmark; there is absolutely NO explanation that the "burnished" coins have a different reverse.

For example, the listing for 2006 $100 coins reads:

_______________________Unc.__PF______
    $100 2006............................$2,700
    $100 2006W, Burnished.....$2,700
    $100 2006W........................................$1,800

The estimates for value are, as one would expect, complete fiction.

No mintage figures are provided for any coins after 2005.

Set listings are even worse.

The sets are listed under Platinum Bullion sets, and only show "[2006]W Platinum Set" for proofs, and "[2006]W Platinum Burnished Set" for the w-uncs.

There are NO mintages for any of the sets, and the coins issued as part of the 4 coin sets are NOT included in individual coin listings, creating misleading information for those coins.

For instance, the 2004 proofs:
    $25 (2,583)
    $50 (1,070)

The 2005 proofs:
    $25 (932)
    $50 (846)

If your only source of information was the redbook, you'd think the 2004 $25 proofs were much more common than 2005 $25 proofs.

It's shameful that a widely relied upon entry-level reference book that really only has to update a few pages each year does such a terrible job.
    Dan
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    NY Council this is what I tried to explain about the listings,
    --- now maybe you understand my view on this better.image
    2008-W Uncirculated Platinum Eagle Sales Figures
    1 oz 1,951 4,109
    1/2 oz 1,257 3,415
    1/4 oz 1,778 3,936
    1/10 oz 2,485 4,643
    4 Coin 2,158

The 4 Coin total of 2,158 hasn't changed at all for weeks now. It that possible?

I knew it would happen.
    HalfStrike, the platinum coins are what they are; they aren't going to change.

The Redbook, we know, will change. The 2009 edition has "Hawaiian and Puerto Rican Issues"; it also has a section called "American Arts Medals," neither existed in the 2007 edition.

On the platinums, the Redbook is clearly wrong on mintages, and regardless of how it lists the coins, it is an error by omission to fail to mention, either by picture or narrative, that the burnished "w" coins for 2006 to 2008 share the same reverse as the proof. Regardless of how the list runs, the book will eventually need to be revised to reflect that simple truth.

Question: do you collect the non-w uncirculated platinums?

Dan
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    nope. its a farce if you ask me. and again, for 4 coin sets I know of at least 100 returned. I know of none delivered since the backorder of 1250-1400 sets appeared.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    NYC - come on now "They are what they are"

Pleaase........the sales report on 1/4's has been decreasing the last two weeks and will continue to for several more, the other denom's as well as sets will follow.

I'll tell you what they are............

Incorrect.

• << <i>How will the plat UNC w get listed in redbook, alone or lumped with the bullion coins?

I received a 2009 redbook today.

The uncirculated-w platinums are NOT distinguished in any meaningful way; they are just listed as "burnished."

If your only source of information was the Redbook, you would think that the only difference was the burnished finish and the "w" mintmark; there is absolutely NO explanation that the "burnished" coins have a different reverse.

For example, the listing for 2006 $100 coins reads:

_______________________Unc.__PF______
    $100 2006............................$2,700
    $100 2006W, Burnished.....$2,700
    $100 2006W........................................$1,800

The estimates for value are, as one would expect, complete fiction.

No mintage figures are provided for any coins after 2005.

Set listings are even worse.

The sets are listed under Platinum Bullion sets, and only show "[2006]W Platinum Set" for proofs, and "[2006]W Platinum Burnished Set" for the w-uncs.

There are NO mintages for any of the sets, and the coins issued as part of the 4 coin sets are NOT included in individual coin listings, creating misleading information for those coins.

For instance, the 2004 proofs:
    $25 (2,583)
    $50 (1,070)

The 2005 proofs:
    $25 (932)
    $50 (846)

If your only source of information was the redbook, you'd think the 2004 $25 proofs were much more common than 2005 $25 proofs.

It's shameful that a widely relied upon entry-level reference book that really only has to update a few pages each year does such a terrible job. >>

Probably ran by retired US Mint employees! image
    Platinum Is Best
    NYC - come on now "They are what they are"

7 over 8, I'm talking about the coins themselves. not the mintages. we all know that the mintage figures need to be finalized.
    Dan

• << <i>2008-W Uncirculated Platinum Eagle Sales Figures
    1 oz 1,951 4,109
    1/2 oz 1,257 3,415
    1/4 oz 1,778 3,936
    1/10 oz 2,485 4,643
    4 Coin 2,158

The 4 Coin total of 2,158 hasn't changed at all for weeks now. It that possible? >>

Hey 7over8..... just how long are you expecting it to take for the 900+ sets to be subtracted from 2158??? image
    Platinum Is Best
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NYC - come on now "They are what they are"

Pleaase........the sales report on 1/4's has been decreasing the last two weeks and will continue to for several more, the other denom's as well as sets will follow.

I'll tell you what they are............

Incorrect. >>

I hope you are right. Just got this baby back from PCGS.....MS70!!! image

The joke is, I don't have any argument with 7over8's theory.

Some revision to the 2008 numbers will take place; we all know that the sales figures are just an indicator, they are not final mintage figures.

My only disagreement with 7over8 is stating theory as fact.

The theory here is that the 2008 sales numbers are way off base, and at some point in the future there will be a big revision downward.

It's possible that the numbers could be revised down by the over 1,000 coins per denomination required to drop below 2006, but I wouldn't advise anyone to rely on it.
    Dan
    Okay, TRUCE on the numbers!

Did you see Goldbully's post that all the 2008 Eagle Commemoratives have gone dark??? I find that astonishing. I mean, I haven't even checked them for months, but it's a new area ripe for discussion/speculation/hyping/dissing etc...
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Okay, TRUCE on the numbers!

Did you see Goldbully's post that all the 2008 Eagle Commemoratives have gone dark??? I find that astonishing. I mean, I haven't even checked them for months, but it's a new area ripe for discussion/speculation/hyping/dissing etc... >>

"The Bald Eagle $5 Gold Coin is limited to a total of 100,000 coins (across all product options).'

Holy ????? A 100,000 gold coins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 99,900 PR and 100 UNC?

These did not even come close to maximum mintages. For the $5 gold, something in the neighborhood of 33,000 proofs and 14,000 uncs.

In the past, I'd say the uncs would be worth watching, but in this climate, I don't think so--not for a long while. Too many OTHER low mintage issues that make this one seem high--and a dwindling demand due to the economy. Still, I'm glad I got one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file