Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>coins101

your name says it all

re-enroll in that class, you might need it >>

Sorry you have to result to insults rather than answer the question though that is a typical response from you. I guess I could come back with something like is 7/8 your IQ? But, I don't want to lower myself and join your group.

So, have a Merry Christmas and may all the low mintages you dream about come true.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭

Merry Christmas to All

The best year to buy coins from the Mint is 2009 if the economy still suck.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>

<< <i>coins101

your name says it all

re-enroll in that class, you might need it >>

Sorry you have to result to insults rather than answer the question though that is a typical response from you. I guess I could come back with something like is 7/8 your IQ? But, I don't want to lower myself and join your group.

So, have a Merry Christmas and may all the low mintages you dream about come true.

Merry Chrismas to everyone!! >>

All the bets are on the table, we will just have to wait to see who wins the jackpot.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope that we can remember that much of our discussions here are based on speculation; with varying amounts of knowledge, experience, and fact thrown in. The insults and belittling are not productive and tend to depict the writer as weak.

Merry Christmas & a Happy and Healthy 2009!
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Merry Christmas to All

The best year to buy coins from the Mint is 2009 if the economy still suck. >>

Have to disagree, only because the offerings will not be nearly as tasty. Only the High Relief looks like a winner design-wise. I think the NASA set is put off til 2010, right? That pretty much leaves a couple of uninspiring commems (which will still have high sales) and the First Spouses. Mintages on the remaining bullion coins are likely to be higher because people won't be splitting their money on fractionals.

I guess the First Spouse sales could drop so low as to make them attractive for the future, but they'd have to be REALLY low...under 2,000, I'm guessing.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just noticed that a $25 and a $50 08 Plat Proof in OGP both ended very early this am w/no bids. The reserve on both was post-repricing (i.e., lowest) mint issue. Amzaing that we all missed these. Very bad timing on the seller's part to end an auction early on Xmas, of course. Sure wish I would have noticed these last night an just bid the reserve!!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a happy, safe and healthy New Year.

I ask that we all keep the men and women of the U.S. Armed forces in our thoughts and prayers as they stand in harm's way so that we may enjoy the blessings of freedom.

G-d bless, Ron
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>I just noticed that a $25 and a $50 08 Plat Proof in OGP both ended very early this am w/no bids. The reserve on both was post-repricing (i.e., lowest) mint issue. Amzaing that we all missed these. Very bad timing on the seller's part to end an auction early on Xmas, of course. Sure wish I would have noticed these last night an just bid the reserve!!! >>

The seller ended those early... they didn't run their normal course.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One question???

How can any of these coins not double or triple in value in the next few years????

The mintage #'s are obscenely low!!!!!

• Options
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    It may take some time before people realize the rarity of these 2008 offerings.

2008 was a perfect storm.............high bullion prices followed by a lack of blanks and an economic collapse.

IMO the recent actions by the mint mean an end to sub 5,000 mintages.

2008 will be viewed by future collectors are the golden year.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image
    image >>

I know where those are going!image

Ren(W)
  • Options
    yes, on the wayimage
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    Just curious as to why you didn't just submit in capsules?

Was it necessary to remove from capsule to evaluate rims and edges??
  • Options

<< <i>Just curious as to why you didn't just submit in capsules?

Was it necessary to remove from capsule to evaluate rims and edges?? >>

Absolutely not.

I would never send a proof/Unc Plat outside of its capsule.....especially the proof!!!

A proof is a sensitive animal, and unprofessional handling can be dangerous to your health(mental).

All it takes is a quick cough or sneeze and the Unc. turns. black in the fields.

PCGS will always return the capsule at no charge!!!!

Ergo....leave it in the capsule before submtting.....still put it in the 2 1/2"" flip to keep it honest!!
  • Options
    Question was directed to original poster of coins pictured above in 2x2s.
    I was surprised to see them in flips rather than capsules.
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>PCGS will always return the capsule at no charge!!!! >>

Not always image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ebay #120352223805

After fees and PAYPAL roughly $2,800 - $2,850 for a PCGS-MS70 2008W Burnished 4-pc Platinum set today.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Linky

FloridaBill
  • Options

<< <i>Question was directed to original poster of coins pictured above in 2x2s.
    I was surprised to see them in flips rather than capsules. >>

they do not return capsules on all the submissions i have done.

i know how to handle a coin. from capsule to flip is less than five seconds. six other coins also went "naked" along with these two. i have done this in the past and gotten 70`s in a submission.

edited to add goldbully, platinum is an extremely hard metal, not as delicate as you imply. i would not toss it on a table or anything but i`m not afraid to handle it.
  • Options

<< <i>

i know how to handle a coin. from capsule to flip is less than five seconds. six other coins also went "naked" along with these two. i have done this in the past and gotten 70`s in a submission.

edited to add goldbully, platinum is an extremely hard metal, not as delicate as you imply. i would not toss it on a table or anything but i`m not afraid to handle it. >>

Try sneezing on a Plat Unc and let me know the results...Uncs are ultra sensitive to moisture on the fields...trust me!! image

ps. If you ask for the capsule in big letters on the sub. form it comes back...I promise, really!!!

GB
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks FB.

That seller had the set on a BIN at around $3,700 as I recall. The shift to an open bid closing on Christmas day might not have been the best marketing strategy IMHO. My guess is the seller could have easily repriced the set on ebay at around $3,200 - $3,250 and netted around $3,000 easily this weekend if he had taken that route.

Wondercoin

P.S. Interestingly, in his offering, seller stated that set was his only one available, yet he has another closing tomorrow with a $3,700 asking price this time though???
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>

edited to add goldbully, platinum is an extremely hard metal, not as delicate as you imply. i would not toss it on a table or anything but i`m not afraid to handle it. >>

They return capsuls when you request they do soimage
  • Options
    I always vacuum the loose blue velvet fibers from the outside of the capsule before submitting. I hate that stuff and don't want it migrating to the surface of my coin. I wish the Mint would use some other presentation material that doesn't shed.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks FB.

That seller had the set on a BIN at around $3,700 as I recall. The shift to an open bid closing on Christmas day might not have been the best marketing strategy IMHO. My guess is the seller could have easily repriced the set on ebay at around $3,200 - $3,250 and netted around $3,000 easily this weekend if he had taken that route.

Wondercoin

P.S. Interestingly, in his offering, seller stated that set was his only one available, yet he has another closing tomorrow with a $3,700 asking price this time though??? >>

Now that I saw who the seller was...that is no surprise. I was ripped off by that seller back in 2007...sent me an empty package after waiting 6 weeks and refused to do anything about it. Was also suppose to have been insured, but he did not do that either. Paypal sided with the seller because I had to sign for the package originally. Luckily I was within the 60 day limit and my credit card company credited me back 100%. Took a total of 4 months for it to be completely cleared up.

Hint: If you ever think a package is too light go ahead and open it in front of the postal employee...they are excellent unbiased witnesses. imageimage
    Platinum Is Best
  • Options
    Even if you don't get the plastic back, there is too much risk in taking the coins out of them.
  • Options
    ALWAYS send the coins in the capsules!
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ALWAYS send the coins in the capsules! >>

I can't imagine why someone would remove them?
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I can't imagine why someone would remove them? >>

Maybe they feel they would be more careful than the person at pcgs image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe they feel they would be more careful than the person at pcgs image >>

Bingoimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe they feel they would be more careful than the person at pcgs image >>

Now, wouldn't that be nice.

Uh, sorry sir but you had a MS70 coin before I dropped it on the floor trying to get it out of the capsule and put a big ding in the rim. Because of the ding, we had to BB it. Thanks for your business!

Personally, I send them in, in the capsules.
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

I only send in .9999 Gold in capsules because of its softness.

I have gotten 70's in ASE proofs, .900 gold commemoratives, and platinum W's sent in only in flips.

.....but I place rubber bands around groups of flips that will be stable throughout shipment.

Plus, I would rather remove the surface debris than let PCGS do it as a general rule, because I see lots of pics of coins that look like someone may have possibly "blown" on them and they then may have spotted in the holder. I have also gotten some slabs off ebay that look like that scenario may have happened. Especially on modern gold commemorative proofs.

JMHO
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    Do PCGS graders wear surgical masks (for our protection)?
  • Options
    They s/b doing the grading in a "clean room." White coats, gloves, masks, double doors, etc.
  • Options

<< <i>They s/b doing the grading in a "clean room." White coats, gloves, masks, double doors, etc. >>

Is there a fridge in the "clean room"....full with milk cartons.image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do PCGS graders wear surgical masks (for our protection)? >>

The video shows the grading room and coins being graded.
    http://www.pcgs.com/submission.html
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They s/b doing the grading in a "clean room." White coats, gloves, masks, double doors, etc. >>

Is there a fridge in the "clean room"....full with milk cartons.image >>

No, just beer.
  • Options

<< <i>

http://www.pcgs.com/submission.html >>

Wow, bare handed. I woiuld have thought they would at least wear cotton gloves.

I alway heard the US Mint did when handling proofs. Then, I got one with a finger print on it. image
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

IMHO .... the graders are not the people taking the coins out of the mint capsules.

IF they had to do that, I'm sure there would be some PR & MS 60 grades, handed out because of sheer frustation.image
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    For those of you who would like to see a comparison of 2007 vs 2008 AGE's and ASE's

Here is an easy on the eyes chart from Coin News.

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    NICE CHART! Thanks!

All should remember that the 1/2-ounce gold unc-w needs another 5,000 or so added to it because of the Double Colonoscopy Set.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options

<< <i>

http://www.pcgs.com/submission.html >>

Thanks for the video link. The gasket part was scary.

Ren(W)
  • Options
    nothing in over 24 hours on my favorite thread??
  • Options

<< <i>nothing in over 24 hours on my favorite thread?? >>

Here you go Raufus.....if this was a 1/2oz Buff, it would have sold for over $1000!!!

This 'un right cheer!!

When will the Plats catch on??? Where's 7over8 to chime in??

I think the Buffs are far more interesting to the collector base for now!!!! image
  • Options
    The following has not sold out and has no mintage limit:

Image not actual size
    American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin (BA3)

I see where it is produced at the West Point Mint....does it now have a "W" mint mark on it? Does anyone have one to confirm it?
    Platinum Is Best
  • Options

<< <i>The following has not sold out and has no mintage limit:

Image not actual size
    American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin (BA3)

I see where it is produced at the West Point Mint....does it now have a "W" mint mark on it? Does anyone have one to confirm it?
    image >>

Me Me Me....It does have the 'W', and it's on its way to PCGS. image

Edited to say....no I don't have the celebration coin....and yes, it does NOT have a 'W' mintmark.

I'm sorry, I thought you were speaking of the 08/08/08 Double Prosperity Set!!!
  • Options
    Thanks Goldbullyimage
    Platinum Is Best
  • Options
    7over8 please explain this one!!

Glad I didn't back up the truck on these Plats....where am I wrong????
  • Options

<< <i>7over8 please explain this one!!

Glad I didn't back up the truck on these Plats....where am I wrong???? >>

imo, i would have to say the economy.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>7over8 please explain this one!!

Glad I didn't back up the truck on these Plats....where am I wrong???? >>

imo, i would have to say the economy. >>

Nice try!image

Leave a Comment